Teachers!

DDuckFan130

Under our new contracts in Miami, a first-year teacher (like me) is making $38k. The only thing is you have to stay in that school for 3 years, and not transfer out like a lot of people do.

Fate threw a charter school my way and they offered me the same salary, and all the benefits (vision, dental, medical, etc.) I get 10 personal days and 5 sick days (of which I've only used 1 personal day....I want to cash in most of my unused personal days).

At this point in my life, I'm content with my pay. I can pay for my car, insurance, and other things, help out my parents, and still splurge every once in a while (the last 2 Disney trips were paid by me).

Nevertheless, it is more intrinsically rewarding. I've had a lot of frustrations, but mostly I've been happy with my job, and don't plan on leaving it anytime soon :D

DDuckFan130

Elementary school teachers are actually at a disadvantage because that's where everyone wants to work (or early childhood). But we're undergoing a major shortage, so it shouldn't be trouble finding work.

The real money is in secondary (wooo! :D), because of 6th period supplements, extracurricular activities, and such :D

Shiloh

I am in school now pursuing my dream of becoming a teacher. Now, in Florida, becasue of budget cuts, schools are closing and teachers may be laid off., and new teachers are not being hired. But i figure by the time i am finished with school, the economy will have bounced back and I will not have a problem finding employment as a teacher. Right now, in my county, teachers start at around 35K. I live in Volusia County and Volusia county is the lowest paying county in the sate of florida(for any job). Hopfully by the time i am ready, salaries will be at 40k for a starting teacher(NEA is pushing for this).

DDuckFan130

I am in school now pursuing my dream of becoming a teacher. Now, in Florida, becasue of budget cuts, schools are closing and teachers may be laid off., and new teachers are not being hired. But i figure by the time i am finished with school, the economy will have bounced back and I will not have a problem finding employment as a teacher. Right now, in my county, teachers start at around 35K. I live in Volusia County and Volusia county is the lowest paying county in the sate of florida(for any job). Hopfully by the time i am ready, salaries will be at 40k for a starting teacher(NEA is pushing for this).
Yeah...I think Miami-Dade finally did something right in raising the salary to 38...not a whole lot, but let's put it like this: I have a friend who is in his 7th year as a teacher, and he makes not much more than I do....and this is with a 6th period supplement.

There's a teacher shortage believe me...and at least here, charter schools are going up all over. I am so happy to be in one, especially since now the public school teachers will be forced to pay for their own insurance :eek: My school gives it to us, and next year they will start giving us money to put towards retirement.

GrumpysGal

Under our new contracts in Miami, a first-year teacher (like me) is making $38k. The only thing is you have to stay in that school for 3 years, and not transfer out like a lot of people do.

Fate threw a charter school my way and they offered me the same salary, and all the benefits (vision, dental, medical, etc.) I get 10 personal days and 5 sick days (of which I've only used 1 personal day....I want to cash in most of my unused personal days).

At this point in my life, I'm content with my pay. I can pay for my car, insurance, and other things, help out my parents, and still splurge every once in a while (the last 2 Disney trips were paid by me).

Nevertheless, it is more intrinsically rewarding. I've had a lot of frustrations, but mostly I've been happy with my job, and don't plan on leaving it anytime soon :D

Out of curiosity, do you pay for rent or own a home? I also taught in Miami and the raise was great, yes, but it's still not enough. I lived with my parents and the paycheck was great, of course. I was able to pay for my car insurance, buy great clothes, etc. But I didn't own a home or pay rent. I know it sure as heck wouldn't be much after a mortgage or rent, bills, insurance, taxes, etc. That's why my husband and I decided to move before we started our lives together. Rent and mortgages in Miami have reached a record high.

Let's face it, being a teacher will bring a decent salary, but it's just not enough after all the job entails...no matter where you teach. Teachers are worth a lot more.

GrumpysGal

Yeah...I think Miami-Dade finally did something right in raising the salary to 38...not a whole lot, but let's put it like this: I have a friend who is in his 7th year as a teacher, and he makes not much more than I do....and this is with a 6th period supplement.

That's why it was still not that great of a change! I am not complaining. As a first year teacher I was happy. But for those teachers who have years under their belt, it was a slap in the face. It could have been done differently.

DDuckFan130

Out of curiosity, do you pay for rent or own a home? I also taught in Miami and the raise was great, yes, but it's still not enough. I lived with my parents and the paycheck was great, of course. I was able to pay for my car insurance, buy great clothes, etc. But I didn't own a home or pay rent. I know it sure as heck wouldn't be much after a mortgage or rent, bills, insurance, taxes, etc. That's why my husband and I decided to move before we started our lives together. Rent and mortgages in Miami have reached a record high.

Let's face it, being a teacher will bring a decent salary, but it's just not enough after all the job entails...no matter where you teach. Teachers are worth a lot more.
I mentioned the stuff I pay for, and rent/home is not one of them. I do live with my parents, but I do give them $500+ a month to cover gas or certain things. This is why I am able to splurge and save. I have a brand new Kia Sportage I am paying for, and if I didn't live at home, I probably wouldn't have bought this car. Only recently have I started to splurge on clothes and stuff...but I don't buy $1000 purses or sunglasses or clothes. In that sense, I'm smart. I prefer to splurge on Disney :lol: I also am low maintenance, and prefer to just GIVE stuff to my family, friends, and students than myself.

I am only 23. Culturally speaking, I am ok living at home. I am content with my job and my pay. So yeah...that's it :lol:

GrumpysGal

I mentioned the stuff I pay for, and rent/home is not one of them. I do live with my parents, but I do give them $500+ a month to cover gas or certain things. This is why I am able to splurge and save. I have a brand new Kia Sportage I am paying for, and if I didn't live at home, I probably wouldn't have bought this car. Only recently have I started to splurge on clothes and stuff...but I don't buy $1000 purses or sunglasses or clothes. In that sense, I'm smart. I prefer to splurge on Disney :lol: I also am low maintenance, and prefer to just GIVE stuff to my family, friends, and students than myself.

I am only 23. Culturally speaking, I am ok living at home. I am content with my job and my pay. So yeah...that's it :lol:

I agree with you. If you are able to live with your parents and save, that is the way to go! You can save money and even splurge on things..trust me, thats at great thing..I did it myself! Unfortunately, once you are ready to move out, it gets a little difficult...especially when you have a family in the future, too. It's just so hard to be a teacher....financially....especially in S. Florida. It's very sad we can't get paid much more. *sigh*.

DDuckFan130

I agree with you. If you are able to live with your parents and save, that is the way to go! You can save money and even splurge on things..trust me, thats at great thing..I did it myself! Unfortunately, once you are ready to move out, it gets a little difficult...especially when you have a family in the future, too. It's just so hard to be a teacher....financially....especially in S. Florida. It's very sad we can't get paid much more. *sigh*.
That's why I'm looking for an economically stable baseball player :lookaroun

Rabflmom

I totally agree Montyboy. My journey into teaching is a little complex. I'm not in it for the money (although it is a decent salary here, and more than I would be making my if I kept my paralegal job). We do it because we love it and if we can change one child's life for the better, it's worth it.

If you do decide to move Florida and want to be close enough to the parks check out the schools in Brevard County. We are one of the best districts in the state. We consistently do well in math and science competitions. Most of the schools score high on the testing. Salary is about average for the state. I think there is a lot of parent and community participation in helping the schools achieve.
We have several charter schools in the county that the school district oversees to keep them on the legit and achieving too. I am not sure how they pay in comparison to the public schools.
In the past we have been building 1-3 schools every year, but this year enrollment did not meet expectations meaning not as many people moved here last year. I know there is a charter school going up this year. I think there is a new high school and junior high in construction too, so teaching jobs are still available.

SewIn2Disney

Thanks for all the info---from everyone on here.
I graduated in 06 with a degree in elementary ed and art ed, and now I'm back getting my masters in special ed---and still can't find a job!
Schools in jersey start over $40,000----and while that may sound like a lot---remember that NJ is one of the most expensive states to live in, so it's all relative.

I'll have to look into the schools in Brevard County----how far is it from Disney?

wedway71

I currently hold my masters degree in Elementary Ed and certifications in Special Ed and Literacy. I'm looking into moving to Fl. Anyone know of any really good school districts close to Disney? I also was interested in what ever happened to the teacher campus in Lee County? Thanks.

They killed the project. They listened to what Teachers wanted which was more money veses a campus. I think they raised to about 37k per year to start. If you want to teach in Lee County you have a 100% of working as long as you have a Degree and a License to teach in FL.

Also if you come from out of State you will be required to work on your ESOL Endorsement as your working with a temp status. Lee County has seen a HUGE migration of Hispanic especially coming from the East Coast.

disneytati

OMG!!! That's good salary for me! LOL Yeah, guys... down here in Brazil a teacher normally gets around 15K a year... that's in our currency, of course. That isn't enough, even if you share the bills with a partner... living costs here are so high as in big American or Canadian cities. I'm an English teacher, but I teach ESL, for adults. I work at a great place, and I get 18K, which is considered a high salary. I'm planning to move to Florida next year, but I still don't know if I'll be able to teach, as you gotta have a license and a work visa (since I'm a foreigner), right?

DarkImage4

OK, so let me ask "hypothetically".

My wife is a HS music teacher (instumental/perucssion) who will be finishing off her master's in a few months. And we want to be a comfortable distance from the magic. Is there a demand for what she has? and what can she expect salary-wise at the HS level with a Master's?

PeoplemoverTTA

OK, so let me ask "hypothetically".

My wife is a HS music teacher (instumental/perucssion) who will be finishing off her master's in a few months. And we want to be a comfortable distance from the magic. Is there a demand for what she has? and what can she expect salary-wise at the HS level with a Master's?

I think it can depend on how many years of experience she has. I've been looking at salaries for Polk, Osceola, and other counties in Florida, and for entry-level they start around $35k (would likely be higher with experience). I would check out each district's web site for more detailed numbers.

Polk County School District

The School District of Osceola County

Orange County School District

These are a good start. Also, Florida counties are now using http://www.teachers-teachers.com to aid in recruiting (nice to look at listings for the whole state at once...they'll also separate them based on your qualifications). She might want to check that out.

Some districts are even offering relocation assistance and/or partial student loan forgiveness...it's definitely work a look.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom