TEA/AECOM 2013 Report

lazyboy97o

I just don't see how you get to 18m for MK and 17m for TDL unless you're liberally counting park hoppers. In that case, it makes sense, as park hopping is uncommon at TDR.
I've also wondered about the Halloween and Christmas parties. How do they distinguish between people who just entered for the party and those who came earlier with normal admission and stayed for the party.

Travel Junkie

tl77

The WDW numbers make sense to me given that the average family probably spends a week at WDW, and most likely visits the Magic Kingdom twice as much as the other 3 parks. Basically if in a 5 day period a family spends 2 days at MK, and 1 day at Epcot, DHS, and AK, and the MK has 1mil visitor increase from 2012 to 2013, that increase will carry over to the other 3 parks

Jeffxz

If these numbers are based on turnstile clicks, would a person riding round trip on the Hogwarts Express actually count as 3 clicks? 1 to get in the main gate, 1 to enter IOA and 1 to return to USF?

COProgressFan

Thanks. Gonna have to analyze this for a bit....

It might be a fruitless exercise as we really have no idea what the hourly capacities are for each attraction, the amount of seats in each closed restaurant, how many folks gathered around for small outdoor entertainment, etc. All those little things add up though. I mean, just having a shows in the Galaxy Palace Theater and Diamond Horseshoe would probably amount to several thousand guests per day. Just the other day, @WDW1974 alluded to this in mentioning how capacity has been diminished so much in recent years that there are times it seems like closing down a urinal would send the place into chaos.

Suffice it to say, for a park that is often bursting at the seams with humanity, there is a surprisingly large amount of dead and unused space at the MK. Sadly, as we've seen, Disney's answer to that is the removal of trees, benches, and seating as well the addition of more concrete areas, rather than simply re-appropriating the existing spaces which are no longer used. Sure looks awfully "efficient" on a spreadsheet I guess (you can forget about safety, courtesy, and show...)

ureich11

I can just say that I've been to WDW during all kinds of peak seasons, but never have I encountered what happens in Tokyo during the weekends. And the rush to TSMM in the morning is not like anything I have ever experienced in any other park around the world!

ParentsOf4

That would be something fun to compare.

Hey @ParentsOf4 ..... How many attractions and entertainment offerings did the Magic Kingdom have in 1991? I don't have the ability to look this up.

Anyone have a park map from then?
Sorry but I don't have the MK's 1991 configuration readily available and it would take me time digging in the basement to find an old park map from that year. :D

Beyond the New Fantasyland, MK added Splash Mountain (1992), The Timekeeper (1994), Alien Encounter (1995), Buzz (1998), Winnie the Pooh (1999), and Magic Carpets (2001). Obviously, other things were replaced or rethemed at MK as well.

However, I think only Splash Mountain and Magic Carpets were completely new additions (vs. replacing something) while the hole in the ground formerly known as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea took 20 years to finally be replaced by SDMT.

Mike Finn Keel Boats closed in 1997 and the Skyway closed in 1999 while Snow White's Scary Adventure closed in 2012, offset by Ariel's Undersea Adventure later that year.

Overall, I suspect MK is up only a small handful of attractions since 1991. I might be missing something but I think Splash Mountain is the only true major addition that wasn't simply replacing something, and that was 22 years ago.

Prior to its current 4 theme park configuration, WDW attendance peaked in 1990 at about 34M. Mind you, this was a time when WDW was the place to vacation in the United States and nearly 25% of guests were from Europe. With the opening of Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, and Disney's first truly successful pure animation film in decades (The Little Mermaid) all happening throughout 1989, you'd be hard pressed to find another time when WDW was a hotter vacation destination.

I can remember when everyone I knew, mostly single adults and pre-child couples at the time, wanted to visit WDW in 1990.

The WDW of 1990 was not just for kids. :)

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Current wait times on a summer day at DHS. You think they get 30K gate clicks today?
Muppet*Vision 3D
Streets of America
5 Min
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Sunset Boulevard
30 Min
Star Tours - The Adventures Continue
Echo Lake
10 Min
Studio Backlot Tour
Streets of America
10 Min
The Great Movie Ride
Hollywood Boulevard
10 Min
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Sunset Boulevard
20 Min
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Pixar Place
60 Min

Data last refreshed: 2014-06-03 15:40:01

wdwfan4ver

I'm interested to see what Diagon Alley does for IOA in 2014's numbers. I'm actually hoping that it cracks the top ten. Maybe that will light a fire under TDO's behinds.
Diagon Alley is going to more for USF's 2014 numbers than IOA's. It goes to the fact Diagon Alley is going to open in USF, not IOA despite Hogwarts Express connecting the two parks.

It boils down to Diagon Alley is something I think Potter fans want go to before going on Hogwarts Express. I am pretty a major of Harry potter fans that want to go to Hogsmeade at IOA already did.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

I don't think IOA or USF is going surpass DHS next year, but I don't think Disney will hold the top 8 theme park attendance numbers for 2014. Universal of Japan in 2013 was 10,000 visitors away from DHS in theme park attendance and Universal of Japan is getting Harry Potter in July. DHS has no answer for that in new attractions right now, but has no problem adding Star Weekends and possibility more hard card events. What also needs to be keep an eye is if Disneyland in Paris attendance is keep on falling.

I think USF is going to be in the top 15 theme park attendance for 2014.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

One thing that is for certain though, how long before the studios in Paris get a billion dollar make over.
That 1 billion dollar make over the Studios in Paris may not happen for a while yet since the Ratatouille attraction will open in July. I think it could push numbers up in 2015 past 2012 attendance levels.

wdwfan4ver

DLP is opening a new E-Ticket ride this year. If it drops again, then the resort is really screwed.
The Rat attraction is in Walt Disney Studios Park and wasn't the theme park in Paris I was referring to. I meant to say Disney Land Park in Paris and I wasn't trying to say attendance for the 2 parks combined as a resort.

Mouse_Trap

I just don't see how you get to 18m for MK and 17m for TDL unless you're liberally counting park hoppers. In that case, it makes sense, as park hopping is uncommon at TDR.

Wonder how they account for re-entries also. Certainly its not uncommon to see people leave and return later in the day at WDW parks.

I would have though that re-entry is less common at Universal et al.

PhotoDave219

If these numbers are based on turnstile clicks, would a person riding round trip on the Hogwarts Express actually count as 3 clicks? 1 to get in the main gate, 1 to enter IOA and 1 to return to USF?

Generally a person is counted as visiting a theme park with the first theme park they visit that day.

For example if you start your day at Epcot and then hop to studios and then finish your day at Magic Kingdom… You are counted as only and Epcot guest.

PhotoDave219

Wonder how they account for re-entries also. Certainly its not uncommon to see people leave and return later in the day at WDW parks.

Following on to my previous post…

You were only counted for the first park that day you visit.

If you start your day at Epcot, Parktop the studios, and finish at Magic Kingdom you are only counted as in Epcot guests.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

All the discussion of how people are counted is sort of irrelevant when it comes to the Disney numbers in these reports since Disney doesn't provide the numbers, they are using other methods to make an estimate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom