TDO light maintenance becoming a joke!

disneyrcks

That's actually a great analogy that I haven't heard anyone use. ... But it's much easier to be called a 'hater' and told to go to UNI so the lines will be shorter for the rest of us ... or some such blather.

There are things you can defend. Sure, a lightbulb is going to go out, paint is going to chip or peel or be destroyed by guests usage. Sometimes, an effect is going to fail.

But the wholesale Walmart approach. The idea that you can have your flagship resort look so ... well, ghetto in its ability to keep up appearance (all the while frantically adding units for more rubes with money) isn't defendable beyond the 'it doesn't bother me' ... 'I am so happy to be there, I don't care' etc crowd. Frankly, that's an ignorant viewpoint. Those folks are entitled to have it, but it doesn't change things. They kind of know that too, which is why they sometimes attack like those walkers on 'The Walking Dead' :eek: because it is NOT right. It is NOT acceptable. And it is the polar opposite of how Disney advertises its product and what level of service/upkeep they tell folks they will get. ... Who cares so long as Britanny gets to meet Cindy ... and the DVC sales dude gives Bobby a roll of Mickey stickers (that the brat then sticks on every surface he can find, while you blissfully ignore the kid).

:xmas:

But again, I'm just a fellow hater. :rolleyes::drevil::king:

I see how it can be unacceptable for many a fan. However, for the average guest that works their a$$ off all year and just wants to have a family vacation where their kids will have a blast and they can relax with some drinks, well I can see why they wouldn't care about these issues. They are still having their vacation that their kids are enjoying and they are able to decompress from whatever job they are doing. Let's face it, after working hard, and for many that includes several hours of overtime, people probably are not going to notice these things.

As far as you refering to kids as brats, are you one of those that thinks Disney should ban children and be solely for adults? :lol:

jakeman

At the end of the day though, Disney isn't our child. We are not responsible for the product only in our choice in consuming it.

Disney provides no product or service that anyone needs. Therefore, the consumer is in complete control over their money when giving it to Disney. They do so fully by choice, more so than a vast majority of the financial decisions that will be made in their life.

If they do not think the value is worth the experience or quality, they should stop purchasing the product.

I don't understand the mentality of continuously giving a company money for a sub-standard or as it has been described here "ghetto" product.

If we don't like the product, then we, as consumers, should take our money elsewhere.

It's not about drawing a line in the sand between one type of fan or another. It's simple economics.

WDW1974

I see how it can be unacceptable for many a fan. However, for the average guest that works their a$$ off all year and just wants to have a family vacation where their kids will have a blast and they can relax with some drinks, well I can see why they wouldn't care about these issues. They are still having their vacation that their kids are enjoying and they are able to decompress from whatever job they are doing. Let's face it, after working hard, and for many that includes several hours of overtime, people probably are not going to notice these things.

You just said it above ... a WDW vacation isn't cheap at all (I continually point out that even with all the discounting and the building of value motels, a WDW vacation costs more now than it did back in the 70s, 80s and 90s when they offered a much higher caliber product and truly aspired to exceed every guest's expectations). ... So, do you think guests should get the best quality product possible for their hard-earned vacation dollars or does it not matter so long as the kids have a good time (and two points there: I see plenty of miserable children at WDW and many kids are happy playing with a box or a used tire ... both which cost a whole lot less than a MAGICal WDW vacation)?

And while I often take shots at the great unwashed masses, I have observed enough from other guests at WDW to see they DO notice things. A filthy, hot monorail is noticed whether its a first visit or a 50th or a 500th. A dirty restroom is noticed. A lousy meal. An attraction where AAs stand frozen or queues have pieces of walls gouged out. The average guest (even though I often take shots) isn't a total rube. They just don't tend to post on a Disney discussion board or other travel board.

I think the bigger issue is folks going to WDW and taking note of things, but not complaining (especially fans and repeat guests) ... and folks who want to convince themselves things aren't that bad because they have some strange mental fixation with the place and can't imagine going elsewhere ... even taking another type of Disney vacations (DL, DCL, AbD, foreign resorts etc).

As far as you refering to kids as brats, are you one of those that thinks Disney should ban children and be solely for adults? :lol:

No, despite my image as someone who shoves children to the ground in order to get a better spot to see fireworks:D ... I love kids. I hate bad parents though ... and there is no short supply of them at WDW or anywhere else sadly.

WDW1974

At the end of the day though, Disney isn't our child. We are not responsible for the product only in our choice in consuming it.

Disney provides no product or service that anyone needs. Therefore, the consumer is in complete control over their money when giving it to Disney. They do so fully by choice, more so than a vast majority of the financial decisions that will be made in their life.

If they do not think the value is worth the experience or quality, they should stop purchasing the product.

I don't understand the mentality of continuously giving a company money for a sub-standard or as it has been described here "ghetto" product.

If we don't like the product, then we, as consumers, should take our money elsewhere.

It's not about drawing a line in the sand between one type of fan or another. It's simple economics.

I don't often agree with the jakeman, but I do here (mostly anyway).

Hell, I won't even take a shot at him for paying absurd rates to stay at the Poly in the three weeks 'cause I'm gonna assume he's using DVC points and anxiously awaiting the new DVC Villas at the Poly!
I still get joy out of WDW, which is why I continue to visit. Much of that is because of the people I spend my time with who happen to live in the area or who choose to meet there because it is central for us all.

But I likely spend 15-20% (tops) at WDW now of what I did a decade ago. I only visited three times in 2011 (may squeeze in a visit in the next few weeks, but likely not until January). For only the second time since Disney had only two parks, I will go an entire year without spending one night in a Disney owned and operated resort. I stopped buying the DDE card in 2008 and only eat at Disney locales sparingly, instead taking advantage of the great places at Swan/Dolphin/DD/UNI instead. I NEVER buy any merchandise unless it comes from property control or using a CM's 35% (50 at X-mas) discount. So, I am still a WDW consumer and I am very happy with the value I get with my AP and for what I spend. But Disney has lost the true guest it had in me ... the one who could drop $10,000 in a week at the World. They don't get that in a year from me ... or even half that now.

But I also don't think it is as simple as jake makes it out to be. It's akin to the America 'Love it or leave it' BS that was shoveled first during the Vietnam era and again in the post 9/11 world. WDW is special to me. I've had amazing times with loved ones there. Some great vacations and visits. So many happy memories. And there are still wonderful aspects to the place. If there ever comes a time when I get no happiness from being there then I will cease going. I hope that day never comes. ... And I also believe a company like Disney (one so very concerned with its image and its PR) can be pushed into making guest/fan/cast friendly choices. It happened in Anaheim and it can happen here. And don't ever think people aren't reading ... they are. :xmas:

disneyrcks

You just said it above ... a WDW vacation isn't cheap at all (I continually point out that even with all the discounting and the building of value motels, a WDW vacation costs more now than it did back in the 70s, 80s and 90s when they offered a much higher caliber product and truly aspired to exceed every guest's expectations). ... So, do you think guests should get the best quality product possible for their hard-earned vacation dollars or does it not matter so long as the kids have a good time (and two points there: I see plenty of miserable children at WDW and many kids are happy playing with a box or a used tire ... both which cost a whole lot less than a MAGICal WDW vacation)?

And while I often take shots at the great unwashed masses, I have observed enough from other guests at WDW to see they DO notice things. A filthy, hot monorail is noticed whether its a first visit or a 50th or a 500th. A dirty restroom is noticed. A lousy meal. An attraction where AAs stand frozen or queues have pieces of walls gouged out. The average guest (even though I often take shots) isn't a total rube. They just don't tend to post on a Disney discussion board or other travel board.

I think the bigger issue is folks going to WDW and taking note of things, but not complaining (especially fans and repeat guests) ... and folks who want to convince themselves things aren't that bad because they have some strange mental fixation with the place and can't imagine going elsewhere ... even taking another type of Disney vacations (DL, DCL, AbD, foreign resorts etc).

No, despite my image as someone who shoves children to the ground in order to get a better spot to see fireworks:D ... I love kids. I hate bad parents though ... and there is no short supply of them at WDW or anywhere else sadly.

Well I agree with you completly on the parent front....so that is a start :lol:
But honestly, of course I think those guests deserve the absolute best but after working like crazy and finally being able to have a vacation, some people may just be too busy relaxing to notice. I will be completly honest here...I love going to Disney but I would be just as happy going to an all inclusive resort or cruise for a vacation. My husband is the mega Disney lover of the family. We both work our a$$es off and we go to Orlando about every 4-5 months (my family lives there). We have both noticed the lights at GF before and have had a couple of not up to par experiences. But at the time we are just so damn happy not to be at work, that it does not seem like such a big deal. I know it sounds ridiculous to some, but as a cynical New Yorker, I do enjoy hearing "Have a Magical Day" and other Disney stuff. It is a nice break from the commute everyday and the subway everyday. I do not think this makes us sheep or ignorant, it just makes us people who want to enjoy our time off from the craziness of the real world.

jakeman

I don't often agree with the jakeman, but I do here (mostly anyway).

Hell, I won't even take a shot at him for paying absurd rates to stay at the Poly in the three weeks 'cause I'm gonna assume he's using DVC points and anxiously awaiting the new DVC Villas at the Poly!
I still get joy out of WDW, which is why I continue to visit. Much of that is because of the people I spend my time with who happen to live in the area or who choose to meet there because it is central for us all.
Yet, somehow...you did take a shot.

It's unfortunate that your online persona of being a complete ______ hat interferes with you having a civil conversation.

But I also don't think it is as simple as jake makes it out to be. It's akin to the America 'Love it or leave it' BS that was shoveled first during the Vietnam era and again in the post 9/11 world. WDW is special to me. I've had amazing times with loved ones there. Some great vacations and visits. So many happy memories. And there are still wonderful aspects to the place. If there ever comes a time when I get no happiness from being there then I will cease going. I hope that day never comes. ... And I also believe a company like Disney (one so very concerned with its image and its PR) can be pushed into making guest/fan/cast friendly choices. It happened in Anaheim and it can happen here. And don't ever think people aren't reading ... they are. :xmas:
Walt Disney World isn't Vietnam nor does it have much of anything in common with the culture change of 9-11. Making the comparison shows a lack of historical perspective or a juvenile reliance on shock value to make a point. Oh look, it's my turn to take a shot. :wave:

You can actually, in fact, take your money elsewhere if you are unhappy with the product. It really is that simple. Unlike your comparison above, where the political and social implications of both events were unavoidable for almost everyone, the attitude is completely applicable for a discretionary product such as Walt Disney World.

If you feel compelled to continue to purchase a product that you are unhappy with out of nostalgia or the way it used to make you feel then that's your choice, but Disney isn't forcing you.

In some ways, isn't that worse than those who blindly enjoy what Disney is offering? You're still partaking in, what in your opinion, is a substandard product. You're only justifying your purchase by saying, "Well, I'm spending less than I used to."

menamechris

I just have to add - I was out at the Magic Kingdom last night - and the light situation is the worst I have ever seen it. I rarely pay attention (or care about) how many lights are out - but even I cringed and had to acknowledge that it is now out of hand. In fact, most of the lights have been turned off at the Grand Floridian. Narcoossee's lights were still on (although they should have been turned off). The train station at MK had many lights burnt out. Again, I usually laugh at people who are concerned about a burnt out light bulb here and there - but it is now at a point that any person would be able to glance and take note at how many are out. They either need to turn them off - or fix them. I actually am glad SOMEONE over at GF saw it better to just turn them off - as opposed to embarrass the resort with its clear lack of maintenance.

WDW1974

I just have to add - I was out at the Magic Kingdom last night - and the light situation is the worst I have ever seen it. I rarely pay attention (or care about) how many lights are out - but even I cringed and had to acknowledge that it is now out of hand. In fact, most of the lights have been turned off at the Grand Floridian. Narcoossee's lights were still on (although they should have been turned off). The train station at MK had many lights burnt out. Again, I usually laugh at people who are concerned about a burnt out light bulb here and there - but it is now at a point that any person would be able to glance and take note at how many are out. They either need to turn them off - or fix them. I actually am glad SOMEONE over at GF saw it better to just turn them off - as opposed to embarrass the resort with its clear lack of maintenance.

The issue with the lightbulbs (and this has been going back quite a while ... a decade ago I noticed the same situation at the YC, spoke with the manager and was told that nothing was likely to be done about it for 'months', which really turned out to be years) is often thrown out by management apologists and people who feel a bit guilty over their Disney obsessions as if there's something wrong with noticing since it's such a 'small' issue, right?

I think people don't realize the lights are simply a symptom of a cancer that has infected the way WDW Co operates. It's just an obvious (except for those who just don't/refuse to notice) canary in the coal mine about how Disney is neglecting the property as a whole. Hell, they can't even keep their parking lots paved and striped properly anymore ... they even had to do 'emergency' work on EPCOT's last year or else they wouldn't have been able to hold the Disney Marathon.:xmas:

Scuttle

Original Poster

I know it's getting way out of hand. Thank god someone at the GF made the decision to turn most of them out.

Scuttle

Original Poster
Really? Now it's getting even worse on Main Street train station.

Attachments

• 2-6-12 052.jpg
    2-6-12 052.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 83

Scuttle

Original Poster
I'm embarrassed for TDO, since they clearly aren't embarrassed themselves (they should be). The entrance to your flagship park should be immaculate. That is terrible.

I count 19 lights out and it could be more. Totally unacceptable at the entrance to the flagship park. As I've always said about the light bulb situation I understand a few out here and there, but it's just starting to get way out of hand now.

MarkTwain

I'm embarrassed for TDO, since they clearly aren't embarrassed themselves (they should be). The entrance to your flagship park should be immaculate. That is terrible.

Since they've now cut every form of park opening entertainment from every park that isn't the Magic Kingdom, they clearly don't care about the entrances to the parks as much as they used to.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I count 19 lights out and it could be more. Totally unacceptable at the entrance to the flagship park. As I've always said about the light bulb situation I understand a few out here and there, but it's just starting to get way out of hand now.

Amazing they can spend hundreds of millions on capital projects and super high tech attractions, but getting someone with a ladder and replacing a 50 cent incandescent light bulb is not something worthwhile to get done.

I know I'm oversimplifying, but why bother building newer and better things, if you're only going to neglect them down the line. It's what I expect out of my local six-flags not WDW.

Scuttle

Original Poster
Amazing they can spend hundreds of millions on capital projects and super high tech attractions, but getting someone with a ladder and replacing a 50 cent incandescent light bulb is not something worthwhile to get done.

I know I'm oversimplifying, but why bother building newer and better things, if you're only going to neglect them down the line. It's what I expect out of my local six-flags not WDW.

Exactly. Why even build these intricately themed rides with details show scenes full of AA's and other great set pieces. It's just sad. Look at Everest, even if the Yeti was working it would still have a ton of other effects broken and the ride is only six years old.

Uncle Lupe

Exactly. Why even build these intricately themed rides with details show scenes full of AA's and other great set pieces. It's just sad. Look at Everest, even if the Yeti was working it would still have a ton of other effects broken and the ride is only six years old.

What are they going to do when the strobe light for the Yeti burns out?

Scuttle

Original Poster
That is both stunning, and unsurprising.

How is the GF looking btw? Has anyone noticed any changes over there?

Was at the world last night and the GF still has a ton of lights out everywhere. Same with main street as well although not as bad as the GF of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom