TDO light maintenance becoming a joke!

ddbowdoin

well, as for the TOT lights... fairly subjective since i think it looks great regardless of whether one or more lights are out

as for the GF, 100% agree... all or nothing

You just HATE Disney so much, so why do you go? Just stay home and the lines will be shorter for the rest of us who love Disney unconditionally and know it can never do any wrong and have better things to do then look for burned out lightbulbs because we are enveloped in MAGIC and pixie dust?

You know ... Disney could let 80% of its bulbs burn out, do no maintainance for the next year and quadruple prices and I'd still go and love the place ... signed another Disney webmaster. :wave:

people complain about the stupidest things, last time i checked this website was for fans... :shrug:

njDizFan

But to who? I am all for making a difference, but who the heck are you all complaining to? Besides here on an unofficial fansite, where are you voicing these concerns that will actually lead to results?
Are you suggesting that Disney message boards should be all magic and wishes?

I'm not going on a "I love WDW because" thread and pooping all over it. This thread was intended to bring up a not so recent maintence issue that is troublesome for all park-goers(I presume like yourself).

And to answer your question: If I have an issue with a meal at a restaurant I go to the manager, If I have an issue with my government I vote, If I have an issue at WDW I write or speak to managment(which I have). Those are really the only options unless you decide to boycot and show your disapproval with your wallet.

Unless TDO is reading this :lookaroun

PhilharMagician

Take a look at how bad these pictures are. I know Tower is suppose to have one o out of the hollywood, but not 3 letters out and half the T. The Grand Floridian lights are becoming an absolute joke. I mean at this point I pray they just strip the GF of the popcorn lights it would look better without lights than with half of them blown out. I seriously hope TDO changes it's ways very soon. It's getting scary.

I noticed this back in October and was shocked. The Crystal Palace, the MK Bus Stop, the GF and many other locations just looked horrible. It was not that is was one or two bulbs out, but dozens of them. We were there for 2 weeks and after about our 3rd day I started making note of the lights I saw out and I can say that I did not see any of them repaired during our stay.

I wonder if they are repaired/replaced monthly or even worse yearly? Very sad indeed. Poor show!

disneyrcks

Are you suggesting that Disney message boards should be all magic and wishes?

I'm not going on a "I love WDW because" thread and pooping all over it. This thread was intended to bring up a not so recent maintence issue that is troublesome for all park-goers(I presume like yourself).

And to answer your question: If I have an issue with a meal at a restaurant I go to the manager, If I have an issue with my government I vote, If I have an issue at WDW I write or speak to managment(which I have). Those are really the only options unless you decide to boycot and show your disapproval with your wallet.

Unless TDO is reading this :lookaroun

Re: Magic and wishes-Not really....did you infer that from what I wrote? I don't think I mentioned magic, wishes or anything to do with such references. This is not just a message board, it says "Unoffical Walt Disney World Fan Site". But that was not my point. My point was you had stated something to the effect of we are fans and that is why we complain. I understand there may be things to complain about. I was just wondering if you were one of those posters who only complained here (nothing wrong with that, I understand the need to vent) or if as a fan you actually complained to the source. Like I said, I get the need to vent but we have people on these threads that complain nonstop (which is fine too if that is what they feel and need to talk about) but I was curious as to if these complaints were actually reaching a source or if it was just pure internet complaining. This is my only internet message board so I do not know if incessant complaining and ________ talking is the norm within this cyber type of socializing.

So to sum up (lol) I was just curious and do not remember mentioning magic or any other type of nonsense. The one thing I will maintain is that I like being told have a magical day. But I do not think I brought that up in this thread :shrug:

828tnt

Is it a big job? Sure.

But, here's the thing.
Once upon a time, like the resorts first 20 years or so, they had a schedule.
All onstage lights were replaced when they reached 80% of the manifacturer's estimated lifespan. Yep, they changed them before they burned out. This guaranteed that situations like at GFC would never happen. It was a point of pride with the company.

It lasted until a bean counter killed it
in the name of running the resort cheaper.
That's the Disney of today.

this is the decline many refer to....

PeoplemoverTTA

These missed details are truly upsetting to me, as someone raised to appreciate the "Disney Details" even as a child on my first trip.

Adding to the (sad) list of lighting/maintenance issues, there was a long list of photos from the Osborne Lights posted on Twitter tonight. Massive outages and missing effects. Very disappointing

828tnt

my wife is in the service industry and a complaint she will get once in a great while when there is a restroom which isn't quite up to snuff- "if that is what your restrooms look like, i just can't imagine what your kitchen looks like where guests can't see".

if people have such high standards when they go out to eat and spend $20 on a meal, i wonder why so many have such lower standards while spending $1000's at disney?

AND, what else is being "overlooked" for the sake of a buck that we guest actually CAN'T see? well, as long as the cooks we can see wear gloves....:rolleyes:.

(what about life vests, are they checked? cooler temps? bus/ monorail/ boat maintenance? lifegaurd certifications? pool maintenance? not to mention all of those amazing rides and attractions) sarcasm intended, but i could go on....

a few blown out lights won't ruin my vaca, but i really enjoy taking in the entire setting laid out for me, and i will notice it. i fall into the category of holding disney to it's originally high standards- because i'm a fan.

Agent_P

The light bulb issue has been going on for YEARS. It has nothing to do with any planned changeover to LED's. In addition, the lights that are used for popcorn lighting I do not believe are involved in any manufacturer phase-out, as their wattage is too low, and they may be considered stage or show lighting which isn't being regulated.

No need to make excuses for Disney's poor upkeep....they make plenty of excuses on their own.

Look at Canada, it has all new "popcorn" lighting and it looks great, it just takes some time and effort and money.

Dads 2 Boys

I must be the only one that doesn't notice these things on my trip.

Nope....you're not.

And it, for the most part, has nothing to do with my standards being lower than others. My trip doesn't get affected nor do I even get annoyed by these little things and please spare me the "you're the reason TDO doesn't do anything" crap. I'm not there enough to notice and I'm more interested in the happiness and enjoyment of me and my family.

Dads 2 Boys

You may joke about that but what if they start treating ride maintenance like they are treating light bulb maintenance? ToT could give you a very realistic ride in that case...:wave:

Wow! Nothing like jumping off the deep end! :hammer: Come on.....be a little more realistic in your arguement.

captainkidd

Wow! Nothing like jumping off the deep end! :hammer: Come on.....be a little more realistic in your arguement.

What's unrealistic about it? There was a time when Disney wouldn't dare let guests see such poor show as is being seen in those photos. Budget cuts here, budget cuts there.....

Dads 2 Boys

What's unrealistic about it? There was a time when Disney wouldn't dare let guests see such poor show as is being seen in those photos. Budget cuts here, budget cuts there.....

Equating light bulbs not being maintenanced to ride safety being not being maintenanced is outright "stoopid". :hammer:

captainkidd

Equating light bulbs not being maintenanced to ride safety being not being maintenanced is outright "stoopid". :hammer:

Of course it doesn't "equate" that. There are several levels of ride maintenance. All it takes is one cheapskate at TDO to say "Eh, it's overkill."

COProgressFan

Equating them might be extreme but it certainly makes you wonder. If TDO won't dedicate the necessary resources to prominent lightbulb replacement on their supposed "flagship" $500 a night resort (or the MK bus stops, or the Crystal Palace, etc.), then it certainly makes you wonder if they are dedicating the resources to maintaining attractions sufficiently. The two deaths at DL due to poor upkeep (Columbia and BTMRR) still upset me to this day, as does the WDW monorail crash.

Looking at it another way...have you ever been on airplane that was just filthy inside and out? I've been on a flight with a major carrier where the carpets and seats were obviously in need of serious cleaning/upkeep and there was noticeable peeling paint on the exterior of the plane. Certainly made me wonder how much effort was being put into maintenance.

Overall, if they can't keep up with maintaining the things that are obvious and noticeable to guests from the outside, don't you wonder about what is happening (or not happening) behind the scenes?

Yodadudeman

Oh boy. No, missing light bulbs isnt something that will ruin someone's trip. However, it is something that just doesn't sit well. Especially if your paying $450+ to stay at a hotel. It shouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone. But just as Lee said, it is a sign of decline. Its tough to swallow for those of us that remember when this neglect didn't pass at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom