TDO light maintenance becoming a joke!

The Empress Lilly

Replace the lightbulbs. Mow the grass. Clean up the litter. Re-paint. Keep the rides safe. :fork:

Tokyo manages. Hong Kong manages. Anaheim manages. :mad:

Universal, Sea World and Legoland manage too....

captainkidd

The people posting thinking this isn't an issue, great for you. Clearly, you have lower standards. I think it shows that you don't remember the days when this stuff didn't happen (and there was a day).

I've said this before and I'll say it any time a thread like this comes up. There was a quote on Behind The Scenes at WDW on the Travel Channel - "Disney is held to a higher standard because Disney started out by holding itself to a higher standard."

It's that simple. Anything less, in my opinion, is unacceptable. And at $500 a night for a room, ANY hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

Scuttle

Original Poster
I understand where you are coming from Scuttle, you have a certain standard when it comes to the ambiance and the light problem is like a crack in the facade. You should tell management at GF, let them know that guest are noticing these little details. It might make them take action sooner. -A

I wish it was that easy! I understand a few lights out here and there for even up to a few months at a time, but Narcoossees looks like an absolute joke as do the rest of the popcorn lights. Like I said this is going on 2 years. I can't believe TDO is that cheap that they can't even replace them annually at the very least.

yankspy

Bad show. No other way to put it. It does not necessarily bother me from an aesthetics point of view but as others have said, this is the company that always strived for the best and these examples do not say that.

AEfx

Easy. They have no excuse, just a reason: they are too cheap to replace them.
Simple as that.

Things such as this, which used to set Disney apart from lesser parks, have fallen by the wayside in the name of saving money.
Ruin a trip? No.
Symbol of decline? Yes.

Exactly.

It's just kind of...sad. The maintainance of Disney parks used to be legendary - how they painted the sidewalks all the time, when they get to the end they just go back and start again (that doesn't happen anymore, I believe).

I mean...lightbulbs. They don't make "How many...does it take to screw in a light bulb" jokes because it's a difficult task. It's simply paying the money to do it, and purchase the bulbs.

It's one of those things that yes, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal - BUT since it's not such a huge deal, it's hard to understand why it's so difficult to keep up with.

ChristianG

I think Disney is too focused with expanding and the bigger things, like FLE or Avatar, and they can't open their eyes and see all of the little things going on around them.

Alektronic

It's all about money. They don't have enough people just to do normal maintenance and room calls. They are busy changing inside lightbulbs. The only outside lights that get changed are on walkways or safety concerns.

Just like the parks, if it is just for show quality and not easily accessible it will be out for a while, especially if no one complains about it.

Eventually, maybe they will hire an outside contractors to do relamping, if they will do it cheap.

MiklCraw4d

Unfortunately we see in this thread why Disney feels no pressure to return to their previous standards - all the fanboys who line up to defend bad show and shoddy maintenance because the commercials tell them it's the Place Where Dreams Come True (TM).

If peeling paint or burned out lightbulbs don't bother you, where do you draw the line? Dry rot? Moldy carpet? Bolts falling off the ride track? Feces smeared on the walls? Hey, ONLY NERDS WOULD CARE!!!1! My kids still enjoy the teacups!!

ChristianG

I must be the only one that doesn't notice these things on my trip.

And that's the problem. Since a lot of people who visit Disney don't really like to observe the little details, Disney thinks that they can get away with things like missing light bulbs or chipped paint.

Scuttle

Original Poster
And that's the problem. Since a lot of people who visit Disney don't really like to observe the little details, Disney thinks that they can get away with things like missing light bulbs or chipped paint.

This is exactly why I posted these pictures. To prove it's not just some exaggerated thing that is talked about on message boards. You don't have an idea how bad it is until you see pictures or it in person.

cheezbat

The people posting thinking this isn't an issue, great for you. Clearly, you have lower standards. I think it shows that you don't remember the days when this stuff didn't happen (and there was a day).

I've said this before and I'll say it any time a thread like this comes up. There was a quote on Behind The Scenes at WDW on the Travel Channel - "Disney is held to a higher standard because Disney started out by holding itself to a higher standard."

It's that simple. Anything less, in my opinion, is unacceptable. And at $500 a night for a room, ANY hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

:sohappy:

Going to WDW and then to Disneyland in just a few days time you clearly see the difference in the maintenence. Yes I know Disneyland is a smaller resort, but that's still not an excuse for WDW. In many years past I never remember seeing all of these animatronic issues and lighting issues. It seems in the last five years or so it's gotten bad down here. Such a shame. The most expensive theme parks in the world with super expensive resorts SHOULD be held to a higher standard....them also being Disney resorts...even higher.

GenerationX

I thought the Tower letters looked a little different when we there last month. I couldn't figure out what had changed. Whatever the reason, there's no loss of theming or enjoyment of the attraction due to the outage.

Tom Morrow

On the Tower of Terror sign in that pic, the word "The" is also completely out. It shouldn't be. The only letter that should be fully out is the second O in Hollywood, and the D in Hollywood should flicker.

That said, it doesn't really ruin the theming I guess.

yensid67

The lights at EPCOT are maintained pretty well. I'm always amazed that there aren't many, if any, burned out bulbs. I bet Disney really wants to go to LED lighting, but is still waiting for the technology to get better. The last thing they want is to put up 50,000 lights only to find next year they come out with double 'full wave' 240Hz bulbs that go twice as bright. All the dimmer circuitry is different for LED too.

If they keep waiting for something better to come along, then they will be waiting forever as everything is always updated year to year! I agree with an earlier post, I say either have ALL the lights lit or just turn them off until they get fixed or permanently!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
This is exactly why I posted these pictures. To prove it's not just some exaggerated thing that is talked about on message boards. You don't have an idea how bad it is until you see pictures or it in person.

As you know, I arrived at The World this morning for vacation. After dinner in downtown I went to EMH at DHS (hence I AM a Resort guest for those who will try to accuse of me trying to bypass parking) I rode to Contempo to get on a DHS bus because it was the first empty resort bus I saw. As we went passed GF I made a point to look at the lights on top of the building. The pictures do not even show the number of lights that are out all over the resort. It was rather heartbreaking to see, honestly.

With this thread in my head I also took note of the downed bulbs on DtDEast. The lights that string across the walkway. They're bulbs, just replace them!

eddy21

Some of it is due to the stricter safety measures they are incorporating.
They have some areas that they are not able to send some schmoo up a ladder anymore . If there is the slightest chance for injury. That being said I have seen the same at Boardwalk and these were easily accessed.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom