TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Next Big Thing

I'm not overly impressed by the "changes". If not replacing any of the show scenes or animatronics, then why bother? Personally I always liked the end montage and the films of the opening queue as they were.
Because Disney didn't have to pay for it and TCM gets heavy advertising. It's a win-win.

Sure, we all have things within the actual attraction that we'd love to see updated, but I think this was a nice little sprucing up for the time being. I don't think we were ever expecting major ride components to get replaced (based on the original press release).

BackOTheLine

I haven't watched the ride video - I want to wait until I'm back down in Sept to check it out. That said, my initial thought is that change is good in most any form these days. There are lots and lots of posts about all the Disney park neglect and stagnation these days so seeing anything getting some attention that doesn't end up as a gift shop or a meet and greet is good in my eyes. I do appreciate the nostalgia of the ride being exactly the same forever but I'm not sure, in the words of Beetlejuice, that "it keeps getting better every single time I see it!"

I reserve the right to completely deny that I said any of this after I ride it again....

At least my 4 year old might recognize a few more scenes in the ending montage?

danheaton

I think this is a great start to making some necessary changes to the Great Movie Ride. Having a sponsor will keep the attraction in good shape, and I'm intrigued by the updates to the pre-show. I watched a video of the montage at the end, and it looks like a solid upgrade. I hope they improved the quality of the film clips at the end.

dizneeboy

From the video, I dont have any issues with the upgrades and like the infused freshness. My only small complaint about the finale would be that the floating screens at the very end show much of the same clips we just watched seconds before. With all the classic movies out there, might have been cool to either showcase other movies or different clips from movies that we were just shown to "play you out of the room". For any of you that have watched the new World of color:celebrate video from california adventure will see the same thing there a few times (like seeing the lady and the tramp spaghetti scene twice for example). Otherwise, I hope this partnership is just the beginning and the scenes finally gets some love in the near future!

dizneeboy

Only a selection remain. There's plenty of new ones. Seeing the originals was a nice touch. Besides, a classic is a classic.

I think they were referring to my post about how the very ending shows clips floating through space that were just shown moments before in a larger format....not that the clips were some of the ones in the prior version of the film....or, maybe I'm wrong ; )

imagineer boy

I approve of the changes too (wow, when was the last time I said that?!?!) though I agree that I wish it could have had some more improvements. The only thing I don't like is the Frozen, and Tangled marketing ploys in the final movie.

Magenta Panther

If they would just at least replace the Tarzan, Sigourney Weaver and Harrison Ford AAs it would make a world of a difference for the whole ride.

Hell, rip the Tarzan scene out for something worth the space

And that Busby Berkely thing. Cheap paint on glass, for crying out loud. It's embarrassing.

As for the changes...well, it's a start. It did feel kind of weird to hear Osbourne pushing TCM at the end, though.

George Lucas on a Bench

I actually don't like that they kept the drivers in the cars, but I realize there's no way around it if they're only adding a plug for TCM and a new montage. It's just weird that the new narration seems to replace the cast member narration, but then they just randomly chime in at points. It might be better without them. I'm not really a fan of the Robert Osborne dialogue and I lament the loss of the old narrator, but I think it's better having pre-recorded audio like Living with the Land as opposed to the awkward cast member "I see dead people", "best last line of a movie ever", "sing along, folks, you know the words" (followed by no one singing along) etc.

Tom Morrow

I actually don't like that they kept the drivers in the cars, but I realize there's no way around it if they're only adding a plug for TCM and a new montage. It's just weird that the new narration seems to replace the cast member narration, but then they just randomly chime in at points. It might be better without them. I'm not really a fan of the Robert Osborne dialogue and I lament the loss of the old narrator, but I think it's better having pre-recorded audio like Living with the Land as opposed to the awkward cast member "I see dead people", "best last line of a movie ever", "sing along, folks, you know the words" (followed by no one singing along) etc.
I think the CM probably still chimes in for a few reasons. The vehicles are not automated, so they currently need a driver. The vehicles *could* be automated, but AFAIK, the ride can not flow correctly without them stopping for the hijacking and Anubis, which, along with the Wizard of Oz stop and finale film stop, are needed to allow time for vehicles to load and unload. How would you explain the stop without the CMs?

And since the CM is still needed, it gives them more of a purpose than just being a driver sitting there awkwardly.

Last edited:

Thrill Seeker

It's a work in progress at the moment. The cast are still getting use to the new script and tweaks still being made. I like the fact that it feels more cohesive with TCM involved with every aspect. Preshow and finale are awesome! The show itself is fine, although I feel it still needs some work. Overall, I feel the changes are good and will be a great stepping stone for hopefully more changes in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom