Taxi's

Fun2BFree

If you're staying at a Disney resort hotel, free buses (and monorails or water-shuttles depending on the resort) are available to the theme parks, water parks, and Downtown Disney. Taxis aren't needed.

fairport

Original Poster
Fun2bfree. Thanks for your reply. I know about the free transport which we intend to use as much as possible. We have a disabled son and there will be times when it is just easier to get a taxi. Does anyone know about prices of taxi's, please?

kbmum

I can't remember the price we paid a couple of years ago to go from Epcot to the Contemporary, but I thought it was expensive. My son also has a disability (a mild form of autism), so I understand your concerns. You'll want to keep in mind that if you stay to watch the fireworks and there's a mass exodus for the monorail and/or buses, it will be difficult to get a taxi. We waited a good 20 to 25 minutes due to the number of people trying to get a cab and the fact that there's no queue. It was a free-for-all with some people jumping in front of others to get the cabs that pulled up.

AEfx

Fun2bfree. Thanks for your reply. I know about the free transport which we intend to use as much as possible. We have a disabled son and there will be times when it is just easier to get a taxi. Does anyone know about prices of taxi's, please?

If you have a disabled son, especially if he uses a wheelchair, you will find the busses actually much easier, as you will be allowed to board before all other guests.

To answer the Taxi question, though, they are quite expensive. I haven't taken one around there forever, but you will likely be paying around $15 to take one, plus you'll have to get one called for you (they don't hang out at the hotels all day).

Depending on how much you will be moving around, it might just be cheaper to rent your own car.

Good luck!

AEfx

fairport

Original Poster
If you have a disabled son, especially if he uses a wheelchair, you will find the busses actually much easier, as you will be allowed to board before all other guests.

AEfx

Thanks AEfx, I didn't know that. Although he isn't in a wheelchair (as he's only 6) he is in a big disabled buggy.

AEfx

Thanks AEfx, I didn't know that. Although he isn't in a wheelchair (as he's only 6) he is in a big disabled buggy.

NP at all. Same difference to them as an ECV, you will be the first loaded on the bus (and they will *make* you skip the line, LOL). Very occasionally (very occasionally) we have gotten a dirty look or two from people waiting, but Disney absolutely insists on doing it, and those are the moments where you just have to think, "Well, if you'd like to trade spots with my son I'm sure he'd be more than happy to." ;)

The best two pieces of advice I can give based on my experience traveling with my niece (who uses a standard wheelchair) is, a) always always ask the attendant at the front of the attraction (when there is one) what the best way for you to handle getting in (if they just see you walk in they may assume you "know" what you are doing and not offer to help) and b) I'm sure you already know, but always take your time and don't hurry. I find this especially true in shows - we usually hang out an extra five minutes or so after (or even longer for big things like Fantasmic!) and let the place clear out and then we go.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions/concerns about getting around - I don't declare myself an expert on a lot of things, but when it comes to getting around with members of my family on wheels in WDW I come pretty darn close.

AEfx

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`m assuming all Mouse busses now have a wheelchair lift at the rear door? If not (or if someone can correct me) maybe double check at the front desk about times the equipped busses do run. I recall watching one load last year at the CBR (no disrespect to the user; I wasn`t gawping, more watching this little marvel load a chair with minimal help from the driver)

cblodg

NP at all. Same difference to them as an ECV, you will be the first loaded on the bus (and they will *make* you skip the line, LOL). Very occasionally (very occasionally) we have gotten a dirty look or two from people waiting, but Disney absolutely insists on doing it, and those are the moments where you just have to think, "Well, if you'd like to trade spots with my son I'm sure he'd be more than happy to." ;)

The best two pieces of advice I can give based on my experience traveling with my niece (who uses a standard wheelchair) is, a) always always ask the attendant at the front of the attraction (when there is one) what the best way for you to handle getting in (if they just see you walk in they may assume you "know" what you are doing and not offer to help) and b) I'm sure you already know, but always take your time and don't hurry. I find this especially true in shows - we usually hang out an extra five minutes or so after (or even longer for big things like Fantasmic!) and let the place clear out and then we go.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions/concerns about getting around - I don't declare myself an expert on a lot of things, but when it comes to getting around with members of my family on wheels in WDW I come pretty darn close.

AEfx

I can never understand why people give those dirty looks. It doesn't bother me one bit if some one in a wheel chair or has a special need to board before anyone else. Like AEfx said, it really makes me feel good to see a company take such a nactive role in continuing the magic for those who can't easily get around.

As for the bus vs. taxi, I would really go with the bus. It's free, but it will also be hassle free. As others have said Disney insists on this, and that is soooo cool!:animwink:

disneymyway

I can't help it I just don't like relying on WDW transportation. For awhile I rented a car for things like Pleasure Island, Hoop de doo Revue, and Animal Kingdom Lodge (having dinner at Jiko) but my new theory is to take Disney's magical express to get to my resort and then use cabs when I want to do something that would require a tedious bus ride.

I don't think that cabs are especially expensive there, but I can't really quote you a price. I'll bet if you called a resort's bell station they'd be able to give you a better idea.

I know that it is cheaper for me to use a cab once in awhile than it is to rent a car.

Good luck and have fun!:)

AEfx

I`m assuming all Mouse busses now have a wheelchair lift at the rear door?

Yes, all busses are now equipped with wheelchair lifts. :)

I can never understand why people give those dirty looks. It doesn't bother me one bit if some one in a wheel chair or has a special need to board before anyone else. Like AEfx said, it really makes me feel good to see a company take such a nactive role in continuing the magic for those who can't easily get around.

As for the bus vs. taxi, I would really go with the bus. It's free, but it will also be hassle free. As others have said Disney insists on this, and that is soooo cool!:animwink:

Yeah, once we came up on a super long line going back to Pop from MGM, and we were like "we'll wait for the next one" and the guy literally wouldn't let us LOL. The rest of us usually stand around the chair area to leave seats for other passengers so we don't usually get any flak.

The people that drive ME nuts though are the people who can walk, bring their rented cart (usually not knowing how to drive it), taking 10 minutes to get on, and then bringing their 10-person party on with them and they all sprawl out taking up half the bus like they are entitled and some even joke about it. Those people get dirty looks from me LOL...

AEfx

cblodg

Yeah, once we came up on a super long line going back to Pop from MGM, and we were like "we'll wait for the next one" and the guy literally wouldn't let us LOL. The rest of us usually stand around the chair area to leave seats for other passengers so we don't usually get any flak.

The people that drive ME nuts though are the people who can walk, bring their rented cart (usually not knowing how to drive it), taking 10 minutes to get on, and then bringing their 10-person party on with them and they all sprawl out taking up half the bus like they are entitled and some even joke about it. Those people get dirty looks from me LOL...

AEfx

This is kinda related to this. I couldn't stand it when we would fly on Southwest and their preborad party allowed anyone with a young child or those needing assistance on, along with the other 13 members of the party. To me that just isn't right. A child or adult needing assistance doesn't need 13 people to get situated. Only need one person, as they now have it.

But again, I have no problems waiting for a wheel chair or ECV to be loaded onto a bus. It really is kinda interresting to watch.

jjgoo

I can only comment on some cab rides.

We went from the Beach Club to Magic Kingdom (long story but the bus was not an option) and it cost about $12 (I did not tip well because the cab driver found the longest route possible).

We also went from the Dolphin to Coronado Springs for about $6 (the ride was about $4 but we tipped well because he was very fast and plesant).

The prices are not great, but they are not totally out of the world. We will probably use cabs again in December for some ADRs that are far away from the hotel. We will have my 81 yo father-in-law with us and walking and standing for too long are out of the question so at points cabs will just be worth the $$.

If you can manage to get to a park hotel that is probably your best bet for getting a cab. MK walk to the Contmeporary or take the monorail to GF or Poly. Epcot walk to the Beach Club or Boardwalk. Studios, take the boat to the Dolphin. AK I'm not sure if there is a way to get to the Lodge from the park other than transport, but I bet you could call a cab from the Rainforest Cafe.

Good luck!

tazbear

we were there last week. We took a taxi from downtown disney to magic kingdom for $17. Otherwise we would have to take a bus back to the hotel which stopped at the waterpark first, then take a bus from the hotel to the magic kingdom. It was just easier to take a taxi.

maryszhi

i cant remember the cost when we used it, but i would google it and see what the cost is. good luck!!!
also have a fun trip!!!!!

sweetpee_1993

Hubby and I did several cab rides on our May trip. Sometimes where we wanted to go wouldn't be a direct route or if time was an issue (like a reservation) or if we waited a looooong time with no bus showing up we'd get a cab. We stayed at POFQ. There was never a time day or night that at least 2 or 3 cabs weren't sitting out in the parking lot waiting. We'd just walk out to where they were and ask who was next in the rotation. We went from the resort to DTD, Contemporary twice, Poly, and Epcot. We also went from Yacht Club to POFQ late one night (worth noting that the manager at the valet desk called the cab over to us, we didn't have to walk to the cab at all). The meter charges according to a combination of time and distance. The drivers seemed to take the most direct routes with the fewest traffic lights. Our rides varied anywhere from $10 - $17 but never more. We generally tipped no less than $4 ($2 for each of us). I like using the cabs. We plan to utilize them during our December trip to go to early ADRs. I love the zero-stress about being late and the quiet, calm, private ride so early in the morning.

BTW, if you have an early ADR or tour at MK, take the cab to the Contemporary and walk over to the park. It's only a 5 minute walk. If you tell the cabbie you want to go to the MK you will be dropped off between the Poly and TTC where you'll still have to take the time to get a monorail or ferry over to the park. :animwink:

righttrack

IMO, cabs and rental cars are excellent for resort-to-resort travel, as you don't have to hub yourself with a park or Downtown Disney. Otherwise the transportation is almost always best. I've seen plenty of disabled people get on easily, so you shouldn't have much difficulty. They are equipped to handle this well, and it looks like the drivers are well trained to operate the lifts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom