Tangled restrooms opening date

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The cascading waterfall and burbling brook will guarantee that these restrooms will be well attended. This video alone took me to my "happy place", and caused me text my SIL to start planning our next trip. Dang, I swore I was going to wait until the SDMT opened.

Ever since I became a dad, my happy place has been the bathroom too.

I'd be surprised if there were literally no mirrors in the bathroom, even if we can't see them in the photo tour. That said, I would say that it is indeed true that men are, in general, better than women at having fun and not worrying about how they look while doing it.

I understand that chit chat mirrors have been installed on the ceilings above the stalls. Look up and you can made eye contact during a stall to stall conversation.

I think the most common complaint about MK is that it's stale.

I have no problems with them raising the bar in visuals vs the older style. The problem is their focus - they are focusing on ornate instead of focusing on things that resonate and reach the guest.

The details are supposed to be there to support the attraction - not BE the attraction. Modern Disney seems to have forgotten that - hence the 'hollow' beauties.

I agree with this. Actually, I think they've also missed the mark with what MK needs. I think MK needed a big, shiny, new E-ticket. If they build Avatar or something else on the site of CMM and add a couple of new family oriented rides to DHS in Pixar Place in the next few years, I'll think that they have addressed the needs of those two parks. I just don't think FLE was what MK needed. Plus, as you so eloquently state, it is light on attractions and heavy on purtiness. It is what we got though.

wedenterprises

I like it, looks great and gives a fresh feeling to that side of the park. The layout is great and the transition towards HM works for me.

The one thing I'm happiest about is that we regained the vista looking towards the Harbour House and Peter pan area.

The water feature is nice, too. I can't get enough water features.

DisneyGuyNYC

I can't help but think that so many folks are so far gone that they miss the point and try and make the discussion about things they shouldn't be.

There was a time when Disney fans wouldn't be having a discussion about new restrooms (let's leave out the argument that they wouldn't be needed if Disney wasn't implimenting a system to make lines even longer, so they need queues with games and interactive aspects in them that will be taking over said facilities that have worked just fine since 1971).

Just think about it. Before you come back with snark or what you think is the perfect way to put this Disney hating Spirit in the crapper. Think. These are toilets. ... Like drinking fountains ... and planters and walkways. They are infrastructure. Whether they are pretty isn't the point, yet that's the point that keeps getting made. (I won't argue it anymore than I'll look at the pics or video.)

No one buys a house that's falling apart because they just love the bathroom.

I feel like I should be going around slapping people and saying 'They ARE TOILETS!!!'

Rest assured, no pun intended, that only WDW fans (not UNI fans ... not DLR fans ... not DLP fans ... not TDR fans ... not BGW fans etc etc) make such a pile of fetid excitement over toilets.

If Disney had built a nice Tangled attraction in the MK and these were part of the area improvements, then they might be worthy of mention.
But, seriously, doesn't this tell you just how sad and negelcted WDW has become that you'd get excited about these?

I know why some of my non-Disney friends wonder why I am into the parks so much. I'm just glad they don't realize that many of us get excited by new places to relieve ones self when nature calls.
THIS. I love you so much.

tumblr_lmgef0gbes1qhigt0o1_500.gif

TestTrack Dummy

Count me in as impressed. yes these are just RESTROOMS but they are really well themed and only add the the area. Im aware that that only purpose of the restrooms is to go tinkle or #2 (whatever you want to call it) and they couldv'e half assed it but they didnt. I would take a new attraction over this anyday but thats not going to keep me from enjoying the area. With the amount of complaining on these forums for a themed bathroom i honestly wouldn't bother listening to you guys either if i was running WDW.

Rhinos Rock!

Gotta have bathrooms. I like that Disney chose to open up a new area for them and did what looks like some impressive design. What a shame that Disney can't plant magic seeds every night and grow a new thrill ride each and every day.
Disney World always has drawn in families and oh gee, a lot of those families have children. Strollers? "Nimitz-sized"? Oh the horrors of it all!! They might get in your way when you're knocking some old lady out of the way to get your turkey leg. And I'll bet that they even get in the way when you're trying to get that pic of Cindy's castle.
If only Disney would realize that they should only be for people who live in the Orlando area and who have no small children. And that all those pesky "ferr-i-ners" should stand around quietly in groups of no more than 4 and that unless they all learn to speak only English when they are at Disney that they should be banned.
And of course it should only cost a dollar to get in and food and drink should be free and at the end of each visit you should get a free t-shirt and a Cast Member should then drive you home in a limo. And a bubble should be built over the whole place so that the weather is always just as you want it. And dagnabit, they should never eliminate anything but refurb every single thing every night while growing those magic seeds to add and add and add. And oh yeah, on the days that I don't go to the parks, the Main Street Trolley singers should come to my house and entertain me.

RandySavage

The Park should also strive to be an E-ticket: a giant, walkthrough attraction (akin to Central Park in NYC).

Individual attractions in theme parks are the stars (QBs, RBs, WRs) and get/deserve the most attention and love. But Area Development & theme-ing is the o-line. Area Development is the unsung, but integral and 50-50 partner (with the attractions) in what makes a great theme park, great.

The encouraging thing about the FLE expansion from end-to-end is that it has, for the most part, greatly improved in perpetuity the quiet half (area development) of what makes any theme park great.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Gotta have bathrooms. I like that Disney chose to open up a new area for them and did what looks like some impressive design. What a shame that Disney can't plant magic seeds every night and grow a new thrill ride each and every day.
Disney World always has drawn in families and oh gee, a lot of those families have children. Strollers? "Nimitz-sized"? Oh the horrors of it all!! They might get in your way when you're knocking some old lady out of the way to get your turkey leg. And I'll bet that they even get in the way when you're trying to get that pic of Cindy's castle.
If only Disney would realize that they should only be for people who live in the Orlando area and who have no small children. And that all those pesky "ferr-i-ners" should stand around quietly in groups of no more than 4 and that unless they all learn to speak only English when they are at Disney that they should be banned.
And of course it should only cost a dollar to get in and food and drink should be free and at the end of each visit you should get a free t-shirt and a Cast Member should then drive you home in a limo. And a bubble should be built over the whole place so that the weather is always just as you want it. And dagnabit, they should never eliminate anything but refurb every single thing every night while growing those magic seeds to add and add and add. And oh yeah, on the days that I don't go to the parks, the Main Street Trolley singers should come to my house and entertain me.

You serious, Clark?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with this. Actually, I think they've also missed the mark with what MK needs. I think MK needed a big, shiny, new E-ticket. If they build Avatar or something else on the site of CMM and add a couple of new family oriented rides to DHS in Pixar Place in the next few years, I'll think that they have addressed the needs of those two parks. I just don't think FLE was what MK needed. Plus, as you so eloquently state, it is light on attractions and heavy on purtiness. It is what we got though.

I think there is plenty to argue that MK is popular enough without a major attraction - but it does need capacity and new things to keep it interesting. My beef is the emphasis is misplaced.

Disney for the last few years on both coasts has shown it's ability to deliver on EXQUISITE ornate detail.. but they continue to miss on delivering actual attractions that resonate with the guests. TLM in MK is a great example... over the top spending on outdoor visuals.. but fails to score big in the actual attraction.

Contrast that with Universal.. spending a pitance on the outside of Transformers in Hollywood.. but delivering a punch in the actual attraction.

It's obviously not an 'either or..' scenario... but Disney has swung too far to the end of 'detail' while missing out on the actual purpose.

Disney has been building bimbos lately... hot on the outside, empty on the inside.

Mickey_777

Those are very nice restrooms. They are what restrooms should look like at WDW. It's not an attraction/ride so I'm not gonna reference those things. These restrooms and the area outside of them are very well done and with lots of great detail and I feel will add to the ambiance of that corner of FL. That is all...and I'll surely use the john there too don't you worry.

DisneyGuyNYC

Criticism is going to happen. It's all relative. Would you like a board where people are just raving for years, endlessly, about HOW GREAT STITCH'S GREAT ESCAPE IS OMG? Is that what you want?

The biggest fans of anything will always be the toughest critics. That's how it works with anything. Go to any fan board about anything. Nobody takes time to discuss the things they like and the things that are working because it goes without saying and to us it should ALL be working like that.

It sad that this is frustrating you so much, honestly. If you wanna live blindly thrilled forever by things you've seen for over a decade then go right ahead... there just isn't anything to discuss there.

Disney World has huge problems and they've got worse recently. We're it's biggest and loudest and MOST LOYAL fans (and I'm sure would defend it to the death to anyone truly trying to knock it in real life) so of course we're going to want the BEST for it and for us! We all don't work there and don't have any real power over the place (for the most part) so the most we can do is discuss the issues and vent to others. What value would there be in all sitting around and agreeing that we love it all blindly and think it's perfect? Why would anyone do that? We all already know that we passionately love the place and think much of it is fabulous. So we don't need to discuss it. That's why you don't see us discussing it a lot and much of what you do see is other things: news, reviews, ideas, opinions, and yes CRITICISM.

Nobody is asking for perfection but we all have our own different issues we'd like to see addressed.

aladdin2007

I think there is plenty to argue that MK is popular enough without a major attraction - but it does need capacity and new things to keep it interesting. My beef is the emphasis is misplaced.

Disney for the last few years on both coasts has shown it's ability to deliver on EXQUISITE ornate detail.. but they continue to miss on delivering actual attractions that resonate with the guests. TLM in MK is a great example... over the top spending on outdoor visuals.. but fails to score big in the actual attraction.

Contrast that with Universal.. spending a pitance on the outside of Transformers in Hollywood.. but delivering a punch in the actual attraction.

It's obviously not an 'either or..' scenario... but Disney has swung too far to the end of 'detail' while missing out on the actual purpose.

Disney has been building bimbos lately... hot on the outside, empty on the inside.

Exactly!!! Perfectly stated. Like I said earlier, cupcakes with just frosting and no cupcake

Pumbaa1222

These are not JUST restrooms, this adds much need ambiance to what has been a dead end of concrete and strollers for years. This adds much needed space to relax in the most congested and hyper-active area of the park. This is beautiful paths, water features, well themed facades, TREES and greenery, PLUS better restrooms allowing for a better queue on the busiest attraction in the land.

It's not an E ticket, but it IS absolutely a step in the right direction, with more to come! It's a great addition to what FLE has already given us, let's take this on good faith that after being stagnent for a long time, this part of the park is moving in the right direction,

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.

There has to be a compromise. That Transformer building is hideous - nothing more than an oddly painted Costco. My kids used to make Lego structures which were better looking. And don't even get me started on Rip Ride Rockit.

Rhinos Rock!

Very well said Rhinos Rock on post #616!!
Thank you. I love WDW and have no complaints about any of it. I go on vacation to have a good time, not to look for reasons to gripe. I'm thankful that I have a job that pays me enough and provides enough vacation time so that I can go to my favorite place in the world. I expect it to be crowded, I expect it to be expensive, I expect that there will be plenty of people there with strollers, wheelchairs, small children, and that the weather will do what the weather will do. I also expect that there will be plenty of people there from foreign lands who are going to have a big, loud time. WDW is not a church service, it isn't Senior Nite at the bingo, it isn't visitation at the funeral home. It's BIG, it's lOUD, it's sensory overload and if you can't enjoy all of that, then stay at home and play solitaire while peeking out the window and yelling, "You kids get off my lawn!"

flynnibus

Premium Member
There has to be a compromise. That Transformer building is hideous - nothing more than an oddly painted Costco. My kids used to make Lego structures which were better looking. And don't even get me started on Rip Ride Rockit.

Yup - which is why I say the balance is off. Disney has seemed to forgotten what is important. Add to that the gap between 'initial investment' vs 'ongoing upkeep' and we get a train wreck. It seems the creative side is getting further and further from understanding the actual operational side. The recent string of 'build it, and immediately have to wall it off' additions should be a wake-up call to Disney. Casey, Pooh, AoA, the list goes on in things the company spent crazy amounts of money on while completely ignoring the realities of their target usage.

kagacins

Exactly!!! Perfectly stated. Like I said earlier, cupcakes with just frosting and no cupcake

Whoa whoa whoa. I've lurked on these forums for a very long time, but this statement about cupcakes mandated I register for the forums and join the party. While I understand the intent of the cupcake extension of the bimbo analogy, I must vehemently disagree with the specific implication that the frosting is not the most valuable part of the cupcake. It makes me incredibly sad to watch people scrape off the frosting to focus on the much more boring cake portion of the cupcake. There cannot, nay must not, be a cupcake without all emphasis possible placed on the frosting.

Aside from this pointless comment, I'm looking forward to joining the conversation.

rioriz

My biggest gripe from the naysayers is that you are the ones making a big deal out if this. Disney sure didn't, because they are, well, restrooms! They are not running commercials or have some big exciting reveal because they are what they are. They are also a need since the restrooms across from them will be torn down to provide for a more workable Pan queue.

choco choco

I'm gonna give props to the guy who filmed a five and a half minute video of this new area by basically walking back and forth between the two entrances like he was scoping it out for a robbery or something. The new videos of the Fantasy Faire Village at Disneyland are about as long and they included complete walk-through's of the interior princess chambers, the theatre, the music box, the Figaro animatronic, and the enthralling action of a CM serving up a strawberry danish. This video takes up the same amount of time and didn't even show us inside the bathrooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom