Tangled restrooms opening date

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I don't mind a Fantasyland spire being visible from afar from within the RoA area - that's part of the appeal of the MK for me too. I love seeing Space Mountain from different lands!

Sadly, I think you are right about average guests. Or is it? Maybe Potter shows that guests really do respond, very heavily so at that, to quality thematic immersion. That tourists can, after all, tell Rizzo from a Mouse.

I don't mind the spire either....until the Skyway was removed, you could see that from a large portion of both LS and Frontierland.

As for the average guest...yes, I think they do respond to thematic immersion, yet the transitions are still "over there heads". That's where we come in......

Cosmic Commando

Yes, the seating area does look alright indeed. A great fit for Frontierland.

But this is Fantasyland, this area of FL is a Bavarian hillside village. What is a 19th century US frontier area doing in the middle of a mediaeval European town?
Was that when/where they invented wooden benches? I just don't see the Frontierland vibe.

RandySavage

Architecturally, the original MK Fantasyland was one of the least-appealing park environments in the Disney catalog, IMO, and featured maybe the biggest thematic breach of them all: 20,000 Leagues.

20,000K was an ambitious and visually impressive attraction, but was inexplicably located in a European Castle town and in a land based on Disney's animated fairytales (save IASW). The "realistic" Rothenburg/Bavarian sections were/are decent, if harsh and non-fanciful (they transitioned nicely from LSQ, however), but there was a bit of drab flatness to them. And they awkwardly mixed with the awful, bright, tacky Fiberglass "tournament tents" (which unfortunately will still abound) and some poor castle fortification work. On top of that, there was the eyesore of the Skyway wires and steel pylons crossing the land. Old FL was thematic discord.

The further the built environment moves away from the "Old Fantasyland" nadir, the better.

ExtinctJenn

Personally I think the "cartoony" pieces of Storybook circus are less "cartoony" and more true circus. If you've ever been to a traveling circus (and not just gone to the local arena to catch Barnum and Bailey) it's extremely cartoony feeling. In otherwords, here, the cartoony is actually realism.

jcldtrek

From looking at the pictures, the Tangled area looks amazing. Too bad it's all done for just restrooms lol. They could of put a ride in there or another shop or something . Still looks a lot nicer than the old skyway station area though.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From looking at the pictures, the Tangled area looks amazing. Too bad it's all done for just restrooms lol. They could of put a ride in there or another shop or something . Still looks a lot nicer than the old skyway station area though.

There is really more to this then just restrooms...

1. It will provide larger restrooms then what is currently by Pan.
2. Removal of the Pan restrooms will allow then to expand the Pan queue.
3. The new paths will open up what as always been a serious choke point
4. New "D-Zone" sitting area possible with charging stations
5. Nice new focal point for that end of Fantasyland

There really wasn't enough room for a ride there, unless they just used it as an entrance and put the show building behind HM or IASW, and do we really need another shop?

WED Purist

At least it did. Until the vandals took over and didn't understand this. Instead of such subtleties, nowadays they employ huge attention-grabbing marquees. The current thought is: how else are people going to know there's a ride without a fifteen foot billboard?

Och! Poor WDW! So beautifully planned and designed! And so brutalised by clueless later designers!

As an aside; the huge attention grabbing marquees are not the intention of WDI.

Sped2424

From the recent photo updates I think the area is almost near completion unless that whole sun mosaic thing is happening then I guess it would open later but If anything first week of march maybe the second.

ExtinctJenn

It will open up the back end of the park nicely! People will flush right through that area.
Booooooooo :D

From the recent photo updates I think the area is almost near completion unless that whole sun mosaic thing is happening then I guess it would open later but If anything first week of march maybe the second.
I'll be there Monday through Friday and probably hitting the MK a few times so if I see anything change I'll be sure to post up some shots!

doctornick

There really wasn't enough room for a ride there, unless they just used it as an entrance and put the show building behind HM or IASW, and do we really need another shop?

I agree, though the space could have been used for a smaller scale thing like a set M&G. Others have mentioned that using that space for a new Pixie Hollow (since it is near Peter Pan, which is the origin for Tinkerbell), which could have made sense.

Timothy_Q

I'm sorry, but the "no space" argument doesn't do it for me. MK has plenty of space everywhere. Disney just doesn't want to use it.

Pink - Facade/entrance
Green - Queue
Orange - Show building

There's enough space for an attraction as big as anything.
I measured the queue lenght and it would be less than DLR's Indiana Jones.

856618_503513413044560_144936231_o.jpg

Rob562

I'm sorry, but the "no space" argument doesn't do it for me. MK has plenty of space everywhere. Disney just doesn't want to use it.

Pink - Facade/entrance
Green - Queue
Orange - Show building

There's enough space for an attraction as big as anything.
I measured the queue lenght and it would be less than DLR's Indiana Jones.

856618_503513413044560_144936231_o.jpg

While your idea is good in theory, that would eliminate a *major* backstage access point. That alley is how they get major pieces of equipment into central Fantasyland (including the crane for work on the Castle). It's also a major egress point to evacuate the area in case of a major emergency, such as a large fire in that corner of Fantasyland.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom