Tangled restrooms opening date

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, if they were to take the theming and level of detail that they have placed in this area, and slowly, over time, applied it to the attractions in the surrounding area. Peter Pan and IASW. Would that still make this area a failure to those that don't seem to like the theming and execution?

djlaosc

I'm still waiting for "it's a small world" to get a Geppetto's Workshop look on the outside to pair it better with Pinocchio's Village House (it wouldn't be an exact match - wooden puppet v IASW dolls, but it would help it look better on the outside than it currently does)

djkidkaz

Just got back from MK and its not open. Couldn't get into Columbia Harbor House either to get over the wall pics because it doesn't open till 10:30. I did run over and check out the BTMRR queue stuff which were nice. Theres three little periscopes you use to look into the mines and it seems its sensored to start the little video once you look into the periscope at the screen. Then I tried the bird gizmo thing where you turn the crank and a blast of scented air comes out at you and you see the bird waving or standing around. Mine train concrete work is going full blast now and I took a photo of Princess Fairytale Hall since someone asked about the progress there. Check the photos and BTMRR video at my twitpic: http://twitpic.com/photos/djkidkaz

Edit: Adjusted the video so that its not sideways.

hpyhnt 1000

Wow...what unbelievably poor design. Far too big, intrusive, oblivious of its surroundings - almost autistically so. This Tangled area manages to disrupt not one but two lands. It has less consideration for everything else in its surroundings than sixty chanting Brazilians. In its mix of arrogance and disrespect it reminds me of 60's brutalist architecture right in the middle of so many quaint European towns.

I agree with you to a degree on the tower but I'm willing to give it a few years and let the foliage grow in. There are quite a few trees planted between the tower and the Haunted Mansion and I think once the they grow, the tower will be pretty effectively blocked from Liberty Square. The Frontierland/Rivers of America sight lines, however, are more problematic. Not sure anything can be done to hide it from there.

But at the end of the day, the fact is the average guest won't care that the tower is visible from the HM or Splash Mountain; they're too fixated on their smartphones and My Disney/Next Gen nonsense to give a cr#p (literally and figuratively).

twebber55

It isn't just restrooms, it is visually one end of Fantasyland in a highly visited area. So regardless of it being restrooms behind the facades, it has an important role in the visual look of the area. Well worth doing it right in my opinion.
sounds good to me

WDWYankee15

It isn't just restrooms, it is visually one end of Fantasyland in a highly visited area. So regardless of it being restrooms behind the facades, it has an important role in the visual look of the area. Well worth doing it right in my opinion.
Exactly. I think the frustratuion is not that they are putting this much detail into bathrooms. I think it is that people feel they are putting this much detail into bathrooms without doing more towards upkeeping current attractions and developing new ones. I think we can all agree in a perfect world, they would put this kind of detail into EVERYTHING they do.

djkidkaz

Exactly. I think the frustratuion is not that they are putting this much detail into bathrooms. I think it is that people feel they are putting this much detail into bathrooms without doing more towards upkeeping current attractions and developing new ones. I think we can all agree in a perfect world, they would put this kind of detail into EVERYTHING they do.

But they are upkeeping the attractions when it comes to MK. They are enhancing the queue lines and most of the attractions have gotten paint jobs and their effects worked on. As far as adding to the parks, thats a different story, but I won't fault Disney for anything going on at MK right now, they are really giving that park a ton of attention. A good example I can share is the waterwheel on Swiss Family Treehouse. Its had its share of problems and still appear to has them even after its recent refurb, but this morning I noticed a tarp around the waterwheel and its getting repaired. Now as we all know, Swiss Family Treehouse is probably the least visited attraction in the park and one they could easily just skimp out on to save money but they are not.

Im hoping this same love and attention is given to the other parks as well.

The Empress Lilly

So, if they were to take the theming and level of detail that they have placed in this area, and slowly, over time, applied it to the attractions in the surrounding area. Peter Pan and IASW. Would that still make this area a failure to those that don't seem to like the theming and execution?
I actually have two answers for you!

1 - Yes, you picked up on that perfectly! It would make all the difference in the world. The very essence of my criticism is thematic mismatch. If the rest of the land is themed likewise, then this objection becomes moot. :)

2 - No! Because I dislike by default the cartoonification of the MK. I think it is a mistake. One that diminishes the magic. Magic is to enter a 'real world', one inhabited by humans, but where magical things happen. Where flowers sing, birds talk, princesses walk the streets.
In a cartoon environment, the magic is a given, normal, to be expected. So not magical at all. Who is surpised by a talking bird in a fairytale?

Something similar, in a slightly more brutal way, happens with violence (perhaps the opposite of Disney Magic): in a human setting, say a live-action movie, violence is shocking, emotional, an outrage. In a cartoon world, it is normal (Tom and Jerry). This is the same effect as magic being normal in a cartoon world, but something extraordinary in a real-live environment.

FL's new Storybook look makes FL less fairytale-like, instead of more. This, incidentally, is also why I think the FLE feels so flat, so emotionally uninvolving. And not lack of rides.

The Empress Lilly

I'm still waiting for "it's a small world" to get a Geppetto's Workshop look on the outside to pair it better with Pinocchio's Village House (it wouldn't be an exact match - wooden puppet v IASW dolls, but it would help it look better on the outside than it currently does)
The tents and banners signify that there is a ride in the building. In FL, your eyes are drawn towards all the towers, turrets, spires. Except near rides: here the eyes are drawn downwards, inwards. All FL attractions had loading areas that were visible from outside, to add life and kineticism to the land, and to draw the guests in.

It works beautifully. At a very subconscious level.

At least it did. Until the vandals took over and didn't understand this. Instead of such subtleties, nowadays they employ huge attention-grabbing marquees. The current thought is: how else are people going to know there's a ride without a fifteen foot billboard?

Och! Poor WDW! So beautifully planned and designed! And so brutalised by clueless later designers!

The Empress Lilly

I agree with you to a degree on the tower but I'm willing to give it a few years and let the foliage grow in. There are quite a few trees planted between the tower and the Haunted Mansion and I think once the they grow, the tower will be pretty effectively blocked from Liberty Square. The Frontierland/Rivers of America sight lines, however, are more problematic. Not sure anything can be done to hide it from there.

But at the end of the day, the fact is the average guest won't care that the tower is visible from the HM or Splash Mountain; they're too fixated on their smartphones and My Disney/Next Gen nonsense to give a cr#p (literally and figuratively).
Yes, comforting thoughts. I hope that some trees and foliage will separate the bathroom area from the Mansion area. In fact, the Mansion area could do with some more trees period. Set it apart from the rest of LS a bit. The walk, however short, from the inhabited world to the eerie mansion out of town is important!

I don't mind a Fantasyland spire being visible from afar from within the RoA area - that's part of the appeal of the MK for me too. I love seeing Space Mountain from different lands! I do mind a cartoony tower.

Sadly, I think you are right about average guests. Or is it? Maybe Potter shows that guests really do respond, very heavily so at that, to quality thematic immersion. That tourists can, after all, tell Rizzo from a Mouse.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I actually have two answers for you!

1 - Yes, you picked up on that perfectly! It would make all the difference in the world. The very essence of my criticism is thematic mismatch. If the rest of the land is themed likewise, then this objection becomes moot. :)

2 - No! Because I dislike by default the cartoonification of the MK. I think it is a mistake. One that diminishes the magic. Magic is to enter a 'real world', one inhabited by humans, but where magical things happen. Where flowers sing, birds talk, princesses walk the streets.
In a cartoon environment, the magic is a given, normal, to be expected. So not magical at all. Who is surpised by a talking bird in a fairytale?

Something similar, in a slightly more brutal way, happens with violence (perhaps the opposite of Disney Magic): in a human setting, say a live-action movie, violence is shocking, emotional, an outrage. In a cartoon world, it is normal (Tom and Jerry). This is the same effect as magic being normal in a cartoon world, but something extraordinary in a real-live environment.

FL's new Storybook look makes FL less fairytale-like, instead of more. This, incidentally, is also why I think the FLE feels so flat, so emotionally uninvolving. And not lack of rides.

Understood. I'd argue though that (IMO of course) the new additions here and in the FLE are much more towards the "real world" and less "cartoony". As an example to that train of thought, I'd point out the more "cartoony" aspects in all of the parks would be the two (one former, one current) Toontown areas. The ballooned columns, overdone effects, that tried to mimic stepping into the world of Mickey at his country house, but in all honesty looked to me exactly like what they were, cheap attempts to try and put me inside a cartoon.
With FLE, and from what it looks like the Tangled area, I can easily feel more immersed in a "real" world. When I'm on the bridge standing outside of Be Our Guest, it's easy to get lost in the calming sounds of the water, the (fake) birds chirping, etc. It's easy to think I've somehow stepped into a real French mountain town. I personally feel more magic in a realistically themed setting than in anything that now exists in the old Fantasyland.
When I stand in what is now the castle courtyard, it's pretty easy to be always reminded that I'm in a theme park waiting to ride a dark ride. In a highly themed environment, one that is built to look fairly "realistic", I find it easier to let myself be carried away into a different place, thus feel more magical.
That is until my kid screams at me how she wants a Mickey balloon and some popcorn. Then I'm jerked right back to reality.

The Empress Lilly

Understood. I'd argue though that (IMO of course) the new additions here and in the FLE are much more towards the "real world" and less "cartoony".
Actually, that's true. There is a certain realistic flavour to the cartoony elements being build in FL, from Storybook Circus to the French village.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Actually, that's true. There is a certain realistic flavour to the cartoony elements being build in FL, from Storybook circus to the French village.
In my mind, the only place it really breaks down are in a couple of areas in Storybook Circus and that would be Casey Jr. and the queue to Barnstormer. Both of which I actually like, but honestly cannot separate out if I like them because I personally like them, or if I like them because of how much my children like them. They break the realism that they worked so hard to instill in the area which it seems they worked so hard to build, they could look cheap (in a few years due to wear and tear) and out of place, they... awwww, do you see how much fun she's having playing over there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom