Tales from the 3rd Clam-mobile (Nemo ride report)

juan

The tank projections are neat because they appear about 6 to 10 feet inside the tank. This allows for many real fish to be between the window and the projection.
There was extensive testing and because of the magic of Disney, the real fish aren't able to see the projections and are thus unaffected by it.

The anglerfish is quite amazing and right along in innovation with other cutting-edge AA's like Stitch and the Yeti.

Other subtle details: the majority of the ride is filled with hand-crafted and hand-painted coral
there are tons of light filters to give the constant effect of light diffraction underwater

metscool

Now I can't wait to see it on Friday for the AP preview. Yep I will be there that day. I had problems with the video so that is why I want to ride it right now.

SirNim

Thanks for posting the video.

Yeah, "Big Blue World" certainly seems to channel the old-school EPCOT Center theme songs (I'm thinking New Horizons)... And that's good.

I have a feeling that we can't accurately gauge this attraction with a video, too... ;) what with all the video projections and what not. I hope to see it in person soon... :)

Epcot82Guy

Thanks for the report. I'm glad there is an original (well, sort of) song going in here. Did you get to exit the attraction and see how the transition works? I know someone else had posted earlier that the tie in from the attraction to the pavilion was somewhat lost, but that he/she wasn't sure how it would work once open.

animay

That photo of the boat overhead makes it look like it uses the same ripple effect for boats that's shown on the new Little Mermaid DVD in the virtual ride.

Nana birdie

I think kids of all ages will enjoy the ride. When my shift was over last night I headed over to the Living Seas to see the seagulls say mine, mine, mine. The entrance is great. This guy came out to work on some lights and we started talking. I told him I was so excited about this ride because my grandson asks me everyday - are the blue walls down yet? The guy asked me if I would like to walk the ride. I immediately said, "Yes". I thought for just 5 seconds what if I get in trouble for doing this - I do love my Disney job but life is too short to pass up this opportunity. How many times do you get to "walk" a ride at Disney. I got to do it at Haunted Mansion and now Nemo. Dreams do come true at Disney even for CMs. I'm a retired school teacher so I'm always checking out the surroundings, etc. etc. I was very impressed with the queue. You weave around like before but you feel like you are at the beach - sand colors, grasses, dock posts with rope and the most amazing scenes on the walls. I would love to have one in my living room. The big room that we waited in is now a queue - back and forth so you feel like you are always moving and just not waiting to get on the ride. These divisions reminded me of a rusty, sunken ship. When you get to the clammobiles you enter in the front. I think it will be a squueze to get 4 people in. I might be mistaken. Oh, in this room you feel like you are underwater - you've gone under the beach docks. The clammobiles are bright orange. It is a dark ride and first you will see screens with the characters then big pink jellyfish going up and down. The next part is the angler fish chasing Nemo. This guy had been working on it all day. Nemo's fin came off and some of the feelers (whiskers?) on the angler fish had come off. The shark had to be readjusted as it was coming too far out into the clammobiles. The next part you see a sunken ship and then the underwater tanks. The imagineers have done a good job in tying in Nemo to the Living Seas. I know some of you purists hate having the characters here and changing EPCOT but being a retired teacher I know in today's world you have to have a "hook" to get the kids and adults into the attraction. Disney has done a good job. Everyone will have some fun and might possibly learn some things about fish and the sea they didn't know before. Enough of my lecture. When you get off the ride you are facing the Crush queue. When I walked out of Epcot at 10:30 I was so excited - great opportunities don't come along every day. I'll be back on Saturday to show my grandson the blue walls are down.

Greetings... Just got back from EPCOT. A friend said thier was a good chance of a soft opening today so i thought i would head over there. When we got there nothing was going on. Just the splash and the seagulls. We decided to walk inside and saw a few managers getting off. That was our sign to go back out, as soon as we got back out there the manager opened the rope and we were in queue. Didnt have a camera on hand so didnt get any pictures. The queue was pretty cool. The clam mobile is a pretty cool thing. It comfortable sits 2. I thought maybe it would have speakers in the actual vehicle but there wasnt. I dont want to give the ride away but I was happy with it. Its a good ride and enhances the pavillion quite a bit. Some really cool effects were used and it something that will be there for some time to come. Wasnt much of the actual aqaurium though. I wouldnt mind seeing a some of that but the projection they have into the aquarium is really cool.

imagineer boy

It seems like it will be a nice ride. However, I thought the song was dreadful and the sing-song end was cheezy, but Peach's line helps though. :lol:

teebin

The tank projections are neat because they appear about 6 to 10 feet inside the tank. This allows for many real fish to be between the window and the projection.

Wow, how could they possibly make the animated characters appear BEHIND the real fish and 10 feet out into the water? Anyone know what the tech is to this projection wizardry? Could it be that the REAL fish are part of the projection and not really the tank fish? Will be interesting to see if the same fish swim by every time. Um... but then there is the issue of the tank fish getting in the way... hmmmmmm.

Also, is the water still murky? It was really bad this past Sunday.

tizzo

Also, is the water still murky? It was really bad this past Sunday.

Funny you should mention that. I was there Saturday (went for the Starship concert -- which was surprisingly good by the way -- and meandered my way over to Seas while waiting for the show), and noticed how murky the water was. I was actually wondering if Disney had added something to the water to support the projections for Nemo, and ran into some kind of glitch.

Tony

TimeTrip

Wow, how could they possibly make the animated characters appear BEHIND the real fish and 10 feet out into the water? Anyone know what the tech is to this projection wizardry? Could it be that the REAL fish are part of the projection and not really the tank fish? Will be interesting to see if the same fish swim by every time. Um... but then there is the issue of the tank fish getting in the way... hmmmmmm.
I'm guessing the OP misspoke when "between the window and the projection." was said. It's probably just a pepper's ghost thing so that the projected animated fish will ALWAYS appear in front of the closer than 10 feet real fish from the perspective of the riders, even though depth perception would put it behind the real fish if the real fish is within the "10 foot" distance. Certainly the illusion would work as long as the real fish is not directly in front of the projection...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe the tank water has been recycled more than normal, or some final work has been going on in the tank (recall the scaffhold poles) - the silt on the bed is easily stirred up. I remember stories of when the entire tank was replaced (it`s contents, not the structure!) and the water was murky for weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom