Take kids out of school for $1,200???? Y/N?

Hello wonderful board!

We have a trip planned in April 2009 (5th - 13th)and if the DW and I are willing to take the kids out of school the week before we could save $1,000 of our total bill and receive a $200 prepaid Visa at check in.

Our original trip is the first week of our two week spring break. So if we take the kids out of school, their spring break would be three weeks long! Good for them i suppose, bad for studies.

We are staying at POR and the difference in the two trips would be 8 nights at AAA price or 7 nights $1,200 less!

I am torn. The 4 day - 3 day free deal is pretty dang good! My oldest DD is 9, fourth grade, and she is my only real concern in regards to school. Math is not the easiest for her and I worry about her falling behind.

Any teachers here, feel free to chime in! Anyone at all here, feel free to chime in. We love to save money and all, just want the best for the kids.

:shrug:

captainkidd

People have choices in their lives, and it's not his problem that you only get two weeks of vacation per year. And he didn't tell you WHEN you had to take your vacation.

Right. He's just saying when they should not take vacation, as in any time that school is in session. I'm simply saying, that's not an option for everyone.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

I must have gone to a much different high school. My teachers barely did anything other than tell me what to read. In elementary school, work was never so complicated that a week off was going to set me that far behind.

Then you had ____**ty teachers. My parents worked 7-530 everyday, with another 2-3 hours of grading/lecture prep at home every night. Expecting special treatment requires more of their time at home with their families. just take responsibility for yourself is all I'm saying. Don't EXPECT your kid to get extra time to do all the assignments. If you want to get them ahead of time and have them done at the same time as the rest of the class, fine.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Then you had ____**ty teachers. My parents worked 7-530 everyday, with another 2-3 hours of grading/lecture prep at home every night. Expecting special treatment requires more of their time at home with their families. just take responsibility for yourself is all I'm saying. Don't EXPECT your kid to get extra time to do all the assignments. If you want to get them ahead of time and have them done at the same time as the rest of the class, fine.

No arguements from me. I agree 100% with that.

And yes, my high school sucked.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Policies like "no vacations during the school year" that come from the administrators are typically flawed because administrators are typically so far removed from the learning process that all they care about is 1) how the school as a whole is performing (e.g. "our school is less competitive this year than last--it must be because all those kids are skipping class! I'll end that now!" and 2) money (e.g. "and if kids can't miss classes any more, they will obviously do better and be less likely to need summer school. Score!"). Granted, that's their job, but it does make them much more cold toward students and their parents sometimes.

Upvote 0

MMFanCipher

We took our kids out of school for 2 weeks in April and May of 2007.
We told the school administration and teachers at the beginning of the
school year and every time we saw them on school business. My DW and I
didn't care if the school liked it or not. These were our kids and we would
do what we thought best. After saying that, we didn't approach it as an us
versus them. We asked what we could do to make up the work, etc. We
tried to be as helpful as possible with the teachers.

We had the best time at WDW. The kids came back to school and finished
the last 2 weeks.

The OP problem: Take them out. You will have 2 weeks to make up 1 week
of work. If the teachers won't work with you find out what they will be
working on in Math and buy a Math book that will cover that and have your
daughter work on that for the 2 weeks. Problem solved. :)

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

First of all, any one who thinks teaching is a cushy job, go try it. I guarantee you will be underpaid and in for a big surprise. Unless you've spent some time in the classroom, you have no business commenting on the ease of someone else's job and if they are getting too much time off.

That being said, your child's job is their education. There are predetermined days for vacation from that job. Use them!

I believe it is unnecessary to pull children out of school, and I also believe that teachers should not put together make-up packets for those students.

And yes, I am a parent. And no, I don't make anywhere near half of six figures for the year so I don't feel the price difference. I simply believe in the system, as corny as that sounds.

And I believe that being in class should count for something in grades, and that teachers should help those students who are out for unexcused absences or who spend their time and are still struggling. There are plenty of those students to go around without adding to the after-school extra-credit volunteer burden. Its simply part of life.

My boss won't put together a nice packet of work if I miss meetings for no reason, or because I got a great Disney deal. I think it is important that kids understand this.

I believe that youth feels they are entitled to these things sometimes. Teach them other things must come first. And the importance of hard work to precede hard play :)

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

*thread of the day* :king:

There's a couple of you who can just get over yourselves, and you know who you are. If you've posted already and can't read this thread and identify who that person is, then it is YOU! :lol:

I was once a kid and I have two kids who have either finished high school or can see the light at the end of the tunnel. None of us ever got a perfect attendance award. :eek: Notwithstanding, we've all had a lot of fun and have been very successful in school and in life, so far.

Mom, you know best. We can all give our opinions, but it is ultimately your decision and responsibility to do what is best for your children and your family. It looks like you will be fine either way. :)

Personally, I have taken my children out of school to do special things or to take special trips. We don't get two consecutive weeks off for any school breaks except at the end of the two semesters, so have never been faced with your situation. Our trips were never more than 2 or 3 days here or there, and sometimes less.

That's a lot of money you stand to save. Maybe if you split it with the 4th grade teacher, she'll give you her blessing! :lol: just kidding -

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Yes my parents are pretty flexible. It's the mentality of EXPECTING the teacher to do everything that bothers me. Very rarely do parents come in and talk to the teacher about it. What they can do to make it easier. They just expect everything to be done their way. As the previous poster mentioned they don't want a professional telling another professional what to do. Well by expecting and demanding special treatment outside what's being done for the other student, isn't that the same thing? A lot of teachers will be more then willing to work with you if you approach them politely and genuinely try to work with them to make the best out of the situation. But never demand that a teacher bend over backward for one kid.

Then I guess I know a different type of parent. :shrug:
Nobody that I know of expects the teacher to bend over backwards and they all inform the school ahead of time.
Both my brother & his wife taught for over 30 years and were never adverse to helping kids with work ahead of time or catching up afterwards. Their daughter is a teacher as well and will do the same thing (granted she teaches 3rd grade so it's easier than MS). Another niece is a Sp Ed teacher and works with families through out the year (year round school) so she always has stuff ready (and yes, her parents took her & her sister out of school during the year to go to WDW as well as other places).

Great attitude toward teachers. Teachers get "12 weeks of vacation" (not actually so--most either teach summer school or get a summer job b/c teacher pay is not fantastic--and they spend most of the rest of their time off prepping for future classes, not sitting on their butts playing video games) in exchange for teaching 40 hours a week and then grading another 15 hours a week and preparing lectures a further 20 hours a week during the school year. You are free to make your own decisions on what to do with your children, but insinuating that we are lazy is a low blow and you should probably have a little more respect for what your teachers did for you.

Granted I am a university professor (very different from how you would deal with a 10-year old), I tell my students to be in class if they want to be in class, and not be in class if they don't want to be there. I will gladly meet with a student who falls behind for any reason but I won't make "special assignments" for a student who chooses to skip class. Imagine if I had to make special assignments for every student. There simply are not enough hours in the day.

Every parent (should) know their kids best. If they can afford to miss class, go on vacation.

My oldest is a junior in college right now and she has one professor who cancels classes at least once a week so it's not just students who don't show up to class. :lol: Last year she had a teacher who could never stay on topic and ended up teaching herself the course online (and did better than most of her classmates). All of her professors request that if they are not going to be in class than email or speak to them directly. She has had to miss classes and each time one professor has been great- basically teaching the entire class to her in his office when all she asked for were the day's notes.

I guess what I'm saying is that you get out of something just what you put in. If you expect the world to be handed to you on a silver platter (or in this case missed school work) then you will be diappointed. I have rarely come across anyone, in any profession who wasn't willing to help if approached in the correct manner . :shrug:

I don't think the teacher should HAVE to, but I don't see what the big deal is. They don't have to teach the child, but they can say "OK, read chapter 5 and 6, and answer all the questions in your workbook on pages 8-12, and hand that in on Monday."

But I agree - It's not the teacher's responsibility. This arguement of mine has nothing to do with teachers. I don't hold them responsible. It's not their policy, it's the school districts, or in some cases the principal.

That is basically what our teachers do, they make out a list of the work that will be missed and it's up to the kid to get it done and turned in... ask for help ifyou need it.

Upvote 0

coltow

My parents pulled us out of school up until high school it was always in the spring. They notifed teachers well in advance. The teachers would pretty much give us their lesson plans for the days missed. I have many pictures of us all doing homework on the plane and at the hotel. When we would take our afternoon breaks we had to complete some homework before going to the pool and if we didn't finish home work then we had to keep going and miss the pool time. I even remember having to take library books with me because I has a report due right when we got back so needed to write the paper while we were away.

I have many family members that are teachers and I know that most teachers put lessons plans together a few weeks out. None of them have ever had problems teling kids what work they would need to make up, because they already knew what was going to be taught over the week.

Talk to the teachers, most will be understanding that family time is needed in kids' lives as well as school time.

Upvote 0

gnorth

Talk to your childs teacher and principal. We are taking our DS out of school next week (1st grade) with both the teachers and principals approval. I know every child is different but doesn't hurt to ask.

Upvote 0
A point no one has really mentioned yet, if your kids are going to miss the week before a 2 week break, they might not be as far behind as the other kids.

Everyone else in the class will learn a concept and then take 2 weeks off. When everyone comes back (disney trip or not) I doubt they're going to remember the whole lesson. I'm thinking the teacher will probably do a quick review for the whole class, because not just your kids will be behind. 4th graders forget things when they're not in school for 2 weeks. Maybe your child won't be as behind as you think.

My parents used to take my brother and I out of school for vacations. I turned out fine. I'm in the middle of my junior year at an ivy league. And my brother just started his first year at a very good state school. In no way did those trips hurt us. In fact, I think not taking them would have been worse. We would have missed all the quality family time I value so much now.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Alright. I am not a parent (except to my litte four-legged bundle of joy), but I am a teacher. So, consider that when reading my view. I hate when kids miss school. I know it's unavoidable sometimes and try to always be patient in those situations. However, I learned a long time ago that written homework is just a frustration to teaching. I teach high school so a lot of kids have jobs or other obligations. Therefore, I do 99% of what has to be done in class. The only time they have homework is when they have a test to study for or work they have to make-up or redo. Plus, believe it or not, many kids don't do their own homework. Parents do it or they copy. By taking work up in class before major chances to cheat present themselves, I feel like I really have a better picture of what my kids do and do not know. A lot of people disagree with this, but whatever. I know what works for my kids and me. When a teacher says it's impossible to make up my work when you're not in class, I know it sounds cocky or rude. With my class though, it is almost impossible. I truly teach meaning that I use examples, excerpts, exercises, etc... completely suiting to the moment. I may plan to assign 10 sentences that examine subject/verb agreement, but see that my students can't pick out a subject and have to make a quick change in plans. I can't make those changes for kids that aren't there. Now, to answer your questions. Do I think you should take your daughter out of class, especially since she struggles in math? It depends on what you, the school, your daughter, and the teacher are comfortable with. If she was older, like middle or high school, I would say no way. Of course, I've only taught middle and high school. My M.A. is in elementary education, so I can offer you that much of an educated suggestion. The younger years are your most formative for a variety of reasons. You really do build the foundation for higher level learning at that age. What will those three consecutive weeks (one for WDW and two for break) hurt you may ask? I don't know. Maybe a lot. Maybe not at all. There is no blanket answer to this question. It all depends on your unique situation.

Upvote 0

Katybug

I know here in Mississippi the kids have 9 weeks exams the week before spring break. I don't know if schools in other states have the same thing, but if they do then our kids take the exams and get to leave school at noon. The week before the tests is "review week" to get prepared for what will be on the tests. If your child has those test then I don't know if I would or not. I would talk to the teacher and possibly work something out to let he/she know what was going on and I think they would help your situation.

Upvote 0

tfinn

Pull the kids out early. In a month the time off will be forgotten by all. We did it many times and my youngest (who still struggles with school at 17) was none the worse for it. An extra week won't make much of a difference.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Alright. I am not a parent (except to my litte four-legged bundle of joy), but I am a teacher. So, consider that when reading my view. I hate when kids miss school. I know it's unavoidable sometimes and try to always be patient in those situations. However, I learned a long time ago that written homework is just a frustration to teaching. I teach high school so a lot of kids have jobs or other obligations. Therefore, I do 99% of what has to be done in class. The only time they have homework is when they have a test to study for or work they have to make-up or redo. Plus, believe it or not, many kids don't do their own homework. Parents do it or they copy. By taking work up in class before major chances to cheat present themselves, I feel like I really have a better picture of what my kids do and do not know. A lot of people disagree with this, but whatever. I know what works for my kids and me. When a teacher says it's impossible to make up my work when you're not in class, I know it sounds cocky or rude. With my class though, it is almost impossible. I truly teach meaning that I use examples, excerpts, exercises, etc... completely suiting to the moment. I may plan to assign 10 sentences that examine subject/verb agreement, but see that my students can't pick out a subject and have to make a quick change in plans. I can't make those changes for kids that aren't there. Now, to answer your questions. Do I think you should take your daughter out of class, especially since she struggles in math? It depends on what you, the school, your daughter, and the teacher are comfortable with. If she was older, like middle or high school, I would say no way. Of course, I've only taught middle and high school. My M.A. is in elementary education, so I can offer you that much of an educated suggestion. The younger years are your most formative for a variety of reasons. You really do build the foundation for higher level learning at that age. What will three weeks hurt you may ask? I don't know. Maybe a lot. Maybe not at all. There is no blanket answer to this question. It all depends on your unique situation.

They are not taking kids out for 3 weeks, just one week...the week before the 2 week vacation starts so they will only miss 5 days of school.

Upvote 0

Wolfclan Dan

Original Poster
Well I have read through everyone's posts, thank all of you for the bits of wisdom and history. As I stated earlier, I agree with both sides of the fence.

We spoke with all of our children's teachers today and they all said it would be fine! We expressed our concern of our DD's issues with math and the teacher seemed to think we would not hinder her development by missing those five days.

So now the decision is up to us and I would imagine the substantial savings will influence our decision. We will sleep on it tonight and more than likely call and alter our reservation tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom