Take kids out of school for $1,200???? Y/N?

Hello wonderful board!

We have a trip planned in April 2009 (5th - 13th)and if the DW and I are willing to take the kids out of school the week before we could save $1,000 of our total bill and receive a $200 prepaid Visa at check in.

Our original trip is the first week of our two week spring break. So if we take the kids out of school, their spring break would be three weeks long! Good for them i suppose, bad for studies.

We are staying at POR and the difference in the two trips would be 8 nights at AAA price or 7 nights $1,200 less!

I am torn. The 4 day - 3 day free deal is pretty dang good! My oldest DD is 9, fourth grade, and she is my only real concern in regards to school. Math is not the easiest for her and I worry about her falling behind.

Any teachers here, feel free to chime in! Anyone at all here, feel free to chime in. We love to save money and all, just want the best for the kids.

:shrug:

heliumalias

My parents used to take me out of school when I was that age for an extra week attached to a regular vacation break, and yes when I was at WDW (or wherever) I enjoyed it, but catching up was hard (oh and for the record I was a straight A student) and I think in the long term I wished that they hadn't. Perhaps it's worth consulting your daughter (assuming you haven't already). It's worth watching the phrasing though. What kid wouldn't prefer WDW to school if it was presented to them as that.

One further thing is that it sets a precedent for later on. When the younger sibling (s) are the same age as your eldest is now it wouldn't exactly be fair to say that you can't take them out of school because of her. Food for thought.

Upvote 0

kjd469

Take your kids out of school....sometimes there are things to be learned that can't be found in any classroom! We have 3 teenagers and have taken them out of school countless times for vacations since they were very young- we must be very lucky, because we've always been warmly wished a good vacation from all teachers involved, and in many cases the teachers have refused to give the kids extra work to take along, saying it would ruin their vacation and to go and have fun. We decide what's right for our family, and the memories that we have created on our vacations are well worth the small price paid in missed classroom time.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Take your kids out of school....sometimes there are things to be learned that can't be found in any classroom! We have 3 teenagers and have taken them out of school countless times for vacations since they were very young- we must be very lucky, because we've always been warmly wished a good vacation from all teachers involved, and in many cases the teachers have refused to give the kids extra work to take along, saying it would ruin their vacation and to go and have fun. We decide what's right for our family, and the memories that we have created on our vacations are well worth the small price paid in missed classroom time.

Clearly, none of those wonderful memories could have been created on vacations during the numerous summer, winter, and spring breaks. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

It is a good thing that you spoke with the teachers ahead of time but do you really think the teacher would say to not go? I have never had a parent actually ask me if they should go or not but my reply may just be that the school doesn't advise it and inform them that it will be an unexcused absence from school.

All teachers are different. I have had 2 students this year go to Disney for a week and one to the Dominican Republic for a week. Two of the parents asked me for work ahead of time via a letter, which I put together. One never said a thing and just took off and then came back. Only one of the students I would consider in the middle to higher levels of academics. All of them came back to class lost in what we were doing and took a few days to get back on track. Also, the two that were given work did not even complete them until another 2 weeks back.

Now, although I was able to give the two students work, it was obviously worksheets with no lessons attached/discussions/articles/literature or whatever else I may have used to exhibit the lesson. I always advise a daily journal to keep writing and reading everyday for 15 minutes with responses.

With that said, I understand your wanting to take your children out and it really is a tough call for a parent who is concerned about education. Personally, I would not take my child out but that may be because I know how they really feel when they return and the valueable lessons being missed.

Another thing to consider is what someone else had posted was that NY state 4th graders have 3 state tests--Jan, March and May. In my school, we really drill those kids especially in the last few weeks before the test. If you take your children out in April, they will be missing this important review time. If you think your child can handle not getting this extra hands on review, then by all means go. But if your child is having difficulties in math/science, I'd definately say to stay.

Whether you stay or go, good luck with your choice.

Upvote 0

piggy1116

my DH and I always take our daughter out of school for our annual trip to the world. Every year at open house we tell the teachers that we would like any work she will miss(she's in 5th grade), this year she missed 10 days of school for our trip, when she returned to school she was ahead of the class. This has happened to her every trip we have gone on. So I say go for it. She is an A student,if she had major problems in school then we would not take her out. Yes school is important,but so is quality family time. I also work in schools.

Upvote 0

Raven66

We don't leave until this coming Wednesday, but her teachers sent home her work packets today. I thought it was strange they would do it but what do I know. My DD already did all the science work her teacher sent home. She forgot her math book at school so she couldn't do that. But both teachers wrote her a very nice note about all the work she had what she needed to study for and that she would be able to make up her tests on the day she gets back.

But what I really liked was her teachers wrote about how much they would miss her while she was gone but they just knew about how much fun she is going to have. And that they couldn't wait for her to get back and tell them all about it. I'm thinking I will have her keep a journal while there.

Upvote 0

jmcdougall

Hello wonderful board!

We have a trip planned in April 2009 (5th - 13th)and if the DW and I are willing to take the kids out of school the week before we could save $1,000 of our total bill and receive a $200 prepaid Visa at check in.

Our original trip is the first week of our two week spring break. So if we take the kids out of school, their spring break would be three weeks long! Good for them i suppose, bad for studies.

We are staying at POR and the difference in the two trips would be 8 nights at AAA price or 7 nights $1,200 less!

I am torn. The 4 day - 3 day free deal is pretty dang good! My oldest DD is 9, fourth grade, and she is my only real concern in regards to school. Math is not the easiest for her and I worry about her falling behind.

Any teachers here, feel free to chime in! Anyone at all here, feel free to chime in. We love to save money and all, just want the best for the kids.

:shrug:
I had twins when my daughter was 5. When she was 7 we decided to take her to disneyworld in October. She was in a private school and they did not give "make up" work. All 3 of my children were very healthy throughout their school years and missed very little school. I feel in the lower years (through middle school) they are able to make up what they missed if you work with them. It is not the teacher's responsibility- it is yours. We are a close family and feel time spent together is so important especially these days. The trip we spent with our daughter was so special as she was dealing with "2" new additions to our family.

Go to disneyworld and have fun. Work with your child and don't expect the teacher to do it for you. The memories will be great. If they are going to be rocket scientists I think it will happen no matter what!!!

Janine

Upvote 0

dove_

Clearly, none of those wonderful memories could have been created on vacations during the numerous summer, winter, and spring breaks. :rolleyes:

Not that they can't, but for many families, a vacation is only possible not during those breaks. What if a father gone in Iraq (like mine) can only obtain leave in the middle of october? My mother passed away a few years ago, when I was 16 years old, and I'm thankful that my parents pulled me out of school as often as they did so I could spend that time with her. Not that we couldn't or didn't take vacations during school breaks, but there were quite a few where I was taken out, and I wouldn't trade that for the world. I'm only in college now, but honestly, I can't think back and lament being gone for a specific week.

I realize that it shouldn't be the teacher's problem, but I know that my parents always were very good about that. I think that teachers have the responsibility to do a little bit of extra work to help students, but nothing extravagant. My parents and I always told teachers at least a week ahead of time (which I think is reasonable for predicting the syllabus during the vacation, most grade school teachers have that figured out). And I would do all the homework.

The only time I had a problem was during a trip my senior year, where there was a misunderstanding between my teacher and I (she was at fault), and I ended up not getting the syllabus. I brought my book with me and called friends during the week to try to follow along with the class. It was all handouts, though, so there was little I could do. When I came back, I took the handouts and immediately started catching up. With proper planning, though, that can all be avoided.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but having just recently been in the position of the children, I think that if they're mostly doing well in class, it's fine to take them out. You won't regret it. One or two problem subjects can be helped by you, especially if it's in elementary school. I know a lot of people are saying that you can't make up that week of school you lost, but in my experience (3 different public schools), it's not a big deal. With the no child left behind systems, and the incredible pressure on schools to perform well in the standardized tests, there's nothing you can't make up for later.

And maybe not relating to disney specifically, but I know that many vacations actually helped get me more interested in school. My dad took us to Gettysburg and Antietam for a long weekend, with a stop in Washington, DC. A month later, we started learning about the Civil War in school, and I already knew most of the subject. I went to Hawaii in 8th grade and visited Pearl Harbor and the U.S.S. Arizona, along with Schofield Barracks. I became very interested in that aspect of WWII. I learned a lot more on those trips about those subjects than I ever did in the classroom (I routinely blew my teacher's minds and sometimes taught them a thing or two in our assignments).

Sorry I got to rambling... :lookaroun

Upvote 0

marcriss

Go! If your daughter really needs help in math you can use some of the money you saved to get her a tutor. Five days before a 2 week break...whatever they teach in that time period will need to be refreshed when you get back. Do your best to catch her up before school starts back, and if she's behind get extra help.

Upvote 0

lbrad

Yes...take them out of school. We took our children out of school twice (different years) to go on our family vacation (Disney World). Time with family is irreplacable...saving $1200 is a must right now.
You sound like a responsible, caring parent that will help your daughter get her work done:)
I say go early and have a great trip:wave:

Upvote 0

Rednekin

My parents did this just once while i was in 5th grade. That trip was amazing and i have a lot of great memories from that trip. And do you know how much i remember from 5th grade? not much.

Upvote 0

Wolfclan Dan

Original Poster
Not that they can't, but for many families, a vacation is only possible not during those breaks. What if a father gone in Iraq (like mine) can only obtain leave in the middle of october? My mother passed away a few years ago, when I was 16 years old, and I'm thankful that my parents pulled me out of school as often as they did so I could spend that time with her. Not that we couldn't or didn't take vacations during school breaks, but there were quite a few where I was taken out, and I wouldn't trade that for the world. I'm only in college now, but honestly, I can't think back and lament being gone for a specific week.

I realize that it shouldn't be the teacher's problem, but I know that my parents always were very good about that. I think that teachers have the responsibility to do a little bit of extra work to help students, but nothing extravagant. My parents and I always told teachers at least a week ahead of time (which I think is reasonable for predicting the syllabus during the vacation, most grade school teachers have that figured out). And I would do all the homework.

The only time I had a problem was during a trip my senior year, where there was a misunderstanding between my teacher and I (she was at fault), and I ended up not getting the syllabus. I brought my book with me and called friends during the week to try to follow along with the class. It was all handouts, though, so there was little I could do. When I came back, I took the handouts and immediately started catching up. With proper planning, though, that can all be avoided.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but having just recently been in the position of the children, I think that if they're mostly doing well in class, it's fine to take them out. You won't regret it. One or two problem subjects can be helped by you, especially if it's in elementary school. I know a lot of people are saying that you can't make up that week of school you lost, but in my experience (3 different public schools), it's not a big deal. With the no child left behind systems, and the incredible pressure on schools to perform well in the standardized tests, there's nothing you can't make up for later.

And maybe not relating to disney specifically, but I know that many vacations actually helped get me more interested in school. My dad took us to Gettysburg and Antietam for a long weekend, with a stop in Washington, DC. A month later, we started learning about the Civil War in school, and I already knew most of the subject. I went to Hawaii in 8th grade and visited Pearl Harbor and the U.S.S. Arizona, along with Schofield Barracks. I became very interested in that aspect of WWII. I learned a lot more on those trips about those subjects than I ever did in the classroom (I routinely blew my teacher's minds and sometimes taught them a thing or two in our assignments).

Sorry I got to rambling... :lookaroun

Dove! Honestly, your post moved me. Tears came to my eyes in your description of your memories. And even now as I type this. Sometimes I forget how my children will not be little for ever. And this really hit home.

I am a somewhat abrasive guy, and as tears roll down my face as I type, I am reminded of how short our time really is. As you can see, my avatar is Grumpy and that is me. Like a clam, hard on the outside and soft on the inside. For what ever reason, it really hit me reading your post how I absolutely must lower my guard with my family. Life is way too short.

Who would have thought, such an epiphany would occur in a forum. Like any work of art or great poem, Dove, you have given me a little inspiration and hope to make the rest of my kids childhood that much better.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Wolfclan Dan

Original Poster
thanks!

Again, to all of you, thank you for your responses. I always, always, always enjoy pondering both sides of an issue. And in this case, I actually agree with the majority of the points made.

You all have reafirmed why I love Disney. The majority of folks who are fans like me have just a little bit of magic in them. Some more than others!

Disney people, you people, are good people!

Upvote 0

musketeer

I seem to always get so engrossed in this topic, be it Disney related, cruise related, or some other type of popular vacation. The same arguments always come from both sides.

And I understand both sides of the arguement as well. I get the whole, "family time is the most important thing", but my response to that is:

I understand the savings from going at an off time, my wife is a teacher, so we have to do things during the expensive times of the year. And I also understand the value of not being as crowded. BUT, there are many many many other destinations where a family can go and get the same quality time. Destinations where going in the summer isn't orders of magnitude more expensive. My point is, you don't HAVE to go to Disney to have quality family time. If you can only afford to go when kids are in school, maybe it makes sense to consider a different, more affordable destination. There are tons of familys who NEVER go to Disney who get quality time together.

Also, I want to say something about the teachers putting together packets of work. Believe it or not, many teachers don't have the whole year planned out, day by day, in advance. Most likely, a teacher probably doesn't know what is going to be happening in the week of the absense. They may have an idea, but the specifics aren't exactly known. And someone said, "Just tell them to read chapters 5 and 6, and answer the questions at the end." Well, easily said, but then that puts burden on the teachers to have to grade an assignment that not everyone else did. Teachers are people too, and it is unfair to expect teachers to do more work to accommodate a student who missed school for a vacation. What about the personal time of the teacher? What about the time spent with their families that is not being shortened so you can spend time with yours, how is that fair?

At my wife's school, the policy is that a teacher is not obligated to provide work in advance.

And when exactly are the teachers expected to put this work together? During school? That isn't fair to the other students who are actually in class. The teacher shouldn't have to take time away from them to help a student who will be gone.

Should they do it at home on their own time? I already said that isn't fair to the teacher or the teachers family.

I completely agree with the arguemnt that missing a few days of 3rd grade won't make much difference to the student who missed the time. But it goes beyond that. It isn't all about just that one student. People tend to not see how their actions effect others, specifically the teacher and his or her family.

And while parents may have the best of intentions of making a Disney trip educational, but is it really fair to the kid to say, "finish your homework, then we'll go to the park. In the meantime, I'll be sitting by the pool." I can't imagine being a kid having to do homework while at Disney.

I'm clearly on one side, but am trying to be objective and see the points of both.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Go for it!!! We took our kids out of grade school numerous times to go to Disney World. We made sure to talk to the teacher(s) prior and brought along work. Make an effort to allow time for her do that work. It won't be a problem. The money savings is worth it. Go, have a good time and make lots of memories for your family. :)

Upvote 0
Just a thought coming from a former educator, try approaching the teacher at least 6 weeks prior to see if your daughter can get a head start on the missed work prior to leaving. Does your school offer math help before or after school? That way when she comes back, she won't be as lost. It will be alot of additional work on weekends, but worth the stess free vacation. Also a student from your local H.S may be able to offer coaching as well. have a great trip!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

They are not taking kids out for 3 weeks, just one week...the week before the 2 week vacation starts so they will only miss 5 days of school.

I know they aren't taking them out for 3 weeks. The OP and other posters seemed concerned about 3 consecutive weeks out of school. I'll edit my post and make that clearer. I was typing too fast and forgot to put that part in. Sometimes my brain works faster than my fingers.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Just a thought coming from a former educator, try approaching the teacher at least 6 weeks prior to see if your daughter can get a head start on the missed work prior to leaving. Does your school offer math help before or after school? That way when she comes back, she won't be as lost. It will be alot of additional work on weekends, but worth the stess free vacation. Also a student from your local H.S may be able to offer coaching as well. have a great trip!:sohappy:

That's a great suggestion.

Upvote 0

smk

As our children got older (in grade school) we would not take them out of school for any reason other than illness. We always planned trips around school breaks, as inconvienent and costly as that was. This is a choice you, your family and school must make.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom