Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Reports of test screenings coming out, indicating its not going to be delayed, and the screeners loved it.

So trailer or no trailer, this is coming out on July 8th. Only way it would have been delayed was if the screeners didn't like it and they had to rework it.

Jedijax719

Reports of test screenings coming out, indicating its not going to be delayed, and the screeners loved it.

So trailer or no trailer, this is coming out on July 8th. Only way it would have been delayed was if the screeners didn't like it and they had to rework it.
They pretty much react like that with all pre-screenings. Same ol' same ol'.

Jedijax719

At this point it feels like they are just trolling with fans. Problem is, only a small amount of people care. The majority either don't care or don't know this movie is even coming.

I mean, they don't HAVE to promote the movie if they don't want to. No business has to promote their products. But that's not usually the reason they don't. I guess, at this point, it's all about them not getting the trailer they want "right" and having to keep re-editing it, maybe due to CGI not being what they want for a first look. That's the only logical reason I can think of.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At this point they are just trolling with fans. Problem is, only a small amount of people care. The majority either don't care or don't know this movie is even coming.

I mean, they don't HAVE to promote the movie if they don't want to. No business has to promote their products. But that's not usually the reason they don't. I guess, at this point, it's all about them not getting the trailer they want "right" and having to keep re-editing it, maybe due to CGI not being what they want for a first look. That's the only logical reason I can think of.
Or, as has been discussed before, they have many different pieces of content to advertise and so giving each their own time "in the sun".

All indications point to it either playing in-front of or as an end credit scene to Dr Strange 2.

Oh and also the trailer is done, in a now removed Instagram post the Hindi voice actor for Thor completed the voice-over for the trailer:

So its just a matter of time before its released, like I said all signs point to it either playing in-front of or as an end credit scene to Dr Strange 2.

So no they aren't trolling fans.

Jedijax719

Then maybe it was because they had to schedule the voice overs. Anyway, they've promoted multiple projects before. In 2019 they had Captain Marvel in March, Endgame in April, and Far From Home in July. By February, they had teasers for all 3. No reason to wait until DS2 comes out. That's not for another 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then maybe it was because they had to schedule the voice overs. Anyway, they've promoted multiple projects before. In 2019 they had Captain Marvel in March, Endgame in April, and Far From Home in July. By February, they had teasers for all 3. No reason to wait until DS2 comes out. That's not for another 4 weeks.
You're using Pre-Pandemic logic, that doesn't apply anymore.

Or even if it did, they can always change things up any time they want to.

So whatever the case, if they want to wait until Dr Strange 2 they can. Just because you don't think they should doesn't mean they have to follow your logic. Marvel/Disney and Kevin Feige know what they are doing, they have made over $25B at the box office with the MCU and are the highest grossing franchise of all time. I think we can can give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Jedijax719

How has the pandemic changed the way movies are marketed?

I'd say there's more to not doing something that has worked than just "they don't have to". Maybe they had "experts" or consultants tell them that it was best to wait. But just waiting "because" is a bit annoying.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How has the pandemic changed the way movies are marketed?
The pandemic has change the landscape of not only Hollywood with streaming, but also the way Hollywood advertises. You're going to see less traditional ad buys for movies, and more pushes into other digital media such as social campaigns.

There have been a number of articles on it in the ad world, such as:

One of the main reasons is to drive down the cost of marketing, as its expensive to market a movie. Its far cheaper to get an actor, say Chris Hemsworth, to put out a social media post talking about doing press for Thor Love and Thunder than it is to release a trailer.

So long term we may see a return to 2019 levels of ads for movies, but it won't be at least until 2025 or later according to most advertisers.

I'd say there's more to not doing something that has worked than just "they don't have to". Maybe they had "experts" or consultants tell them that it was best to wait. But just waiting "because" is a bit annoying.
They are their own experts, why would they need consultants to tell them anything? They didn't have experts telling them to put out fake scenes in trailers like they did, so why would they need that now?

I know you're trying to make sense of it, because "its a bit annoying". But in reality after 27 films and more than $25B in box office I think they have earned a little trust that they know what they are doing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now take this with a whole truck load of salt.......

Some reddit posts in the Marvel Spoilers reddit claim that the trailer and other promotional material for the movie is being released on April 18th. Note they are pointing to some Brazilian website which gave the info, and to my knowledge they have never been a proven leaker of any Marvel info prior to their recent drops, so it could all be false.

This obviously is not verified, and only time will tell if its right. But my gut feeling tells me that we're still looking at the trailer only being released to play in-front of or as an end credit scene to Dr Strange 2 and not before.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now take this with a whole truck load of salt.......

Some reddit posts in the Marvel Spoilers reddit claim that the trailer and other promotional material for the movie is being released on April 18th. Note they are pointing to some Brazilian website which gave the info, and to my knowledge they have never been a proven leaker of any Marvel info prior to their recent drops, so it could all be false.

This obviously is not verified, and only time will tell if its right. But my gut feeling tells me that we're still looking at the trailer only being released to play in-front of or as an end credit scene to Dr Strange 2 and not before.
Just an update on this, no other outlet has picked up this story. So if it was going to drop on April 18th it would likely have been starting to get picked up. Indicating that April 18th might come and go without so much as a peep out of Marvel/Disney.

As I said my gut feeling is still telling me that the Thor 4 trailer will only be released as an in-front trailer or an end credit scene to Dr Strange 2, and not before.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't remember if I ever posted my theory on this, but I had the same thought:

Since Moon Knight also deals with Gods, and Thor 4 has Gorr The God Butcher, they may not want to release a trailer until Moon Knight is over as it may involve Gorr's introduction in Ep5 or 6.

Note Moon Knight's last episode in on May 4th, right before Dr Strange 2 premieres on May 5/6th. So just like I've been saying releasing the Thor 4 trailer along with Dr Strange 2 as an in-front trailer or end credit scene makes the most sense.

mf1972

unless it was quick & i missed it, i was hoping to catch a glimpse of the villain. i’ll watch it again later after work tonight. otherwise, fun teaser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom