Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well everything is speculation until official, doesn't make it any less valid to bring up here.
Well, it would be nice if they had a source rather than clickbait speculation. Maybe pick up a phone and see if someone at Disney would answer, or at least say, "no comment."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, it would be nice if they had a source rather than clickbait speculation. Maybe pick up a phone and see if someone at Disney would answer, or at least say, "no comment."
If someone at Disney/Marvel would have anything to say but "no comment" it would have been reported on by now. So we are left with speculation across all sites that discuss this stuff.

Jedijax719

Like I said, there are two options:
1. They are doing marketing different for this movie than they did for any other movie and "experimenting" (or waiting until Moon Knight premiers)
or
2. There is a delay (to when we don't know).

It is more logical that it is #1. They finished principle photography way back in early June, 2021.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Like I said, there are two options:
1. They are doing marketing different for this movie than they did for any other movie and "experimenting" (or waiting until Moon Knight premiers)
or
2. There is a delay (to when we don't know).

It is more logical that it is #1. They finished principle photography way back in early June, 2021.
Or

3. They are doing marketing differently for all Marvel movies going forward.

Once again just because something was one way doesn't mean it will always remain that way, things change all the time. Marvel has probably discussed changing their own marketing strategy for the very reason we've discussed, that too many fans use the trailers to dissect the movie months before the release leading to too many spoilers being released online.

We'll soon see what happens as time keeps moving forward.

Jedijax719

I'd say it has to do more with them (Feige) settling on a final release date for all MCU movies in the next year and a half. If BP2 can't be ready, November is wide open with Flash having moved. With NWH having done 15 weekends over a million, they may be thinking Strange2 can have a longer run without Thor coming out 2 months later. Then Thor can have a long run if it is out in early November. Then they would have to reconfigure the 2023 release schedule.

One can say "they don't have to release a trailer because the movie sells itself" all they want. Nobody is saying it won't be a hit. However, that is not at all the point. The point is that something really strange is going on in Asgard.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd say it has to do more with them (Feige) settling on a final release date for all MCU movies in the next year and a half. If BP2 can't be ready, November is wide open with Flash having moved. With NWH having done 15 weekends over a million, they may be thinking Strange2 can have a longer run without Thor coming out 2 months later. Then Thor can have a long run if it is out in early November. Then they would have to reconfigure the 2023 release schedule.

One can say "they don't have to release a trailer because the movie sells itself" all they want. Nobody is saying it won't be a hit. However, that is not at all the point. The point is that something really strange is going on in Asgard.
Remember that Feige isn't in charge of the Marvel release dates, Disney (namely Kareem Daniel) has to approve it because they have other movies within their other studios that need release dates too.

Also remember that Phase 4 is already crowded, and already backed up in terms of releasing movies due to the pandemic. So they want to avoid pushing back more movies in the release schedule as it effects everything else down the line due to the stories being interconnected.

So again while its fun to speculate, there is still no reason to think it won't release in July just because there is still no trailer yet. It still could be a marketing decision that they want to hold off until Dr Strange 2 is released to prevent spoilers.

And just an FYI, no it wasn't released in-front of Morbius, I saw it last night and no trailer.

Jedijax719

Perhaps, in this "new type of marketing", they will just start it off with a long trailer rather than the traditional teaser-then-trailer format (like they did with Dominion).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Perhaps, in this "new type of marketing", they will just start it off with a long trailer rather than the traditional teaser-then-trailer format (like they did with Dominion).
Or perhaps it'll just be a single traditional length trailer and no teasers, or maybe even no trailer at all, or again maybe as an end credit scene in Dr Strange 2.

I think the concept you still aren't realizing is this appears to be a change in marketing to prevent spoilers, while focusing on the current upcoming MCU film. The problem and largest complaint with the teaser/trailer model as mentioned before is that they get dissected so much it ends up spoiling the movie. And you can't really avoid them as they are all over the place online. This is why Marvel started putting fake scenes in the trailers, and now appears to be trying to delay as long as possible the release of the trailer completely. Also an important note is that Marvel has been cracking down on leaks big time, again as a way to prevent more spoilers from getting out.

So long story short, don't be disappointed if we only get a single trailer as an end credit scene, or maybe even no trailer at all.

Jedijax719

No trailer within the next 36 hours and this is definitely moving. Whether that means September or November we'll have to see. Strange2 tickets go on sale Wednesday. Once that happens, all bets are off for a Thor trailer until after Strange2's release. Then, they would be starting marketing within 2 months of a July release while also promoting Ms. Marvel, Obi-Wan, and Lightyear.(not to mention Universal pushing Jurassic World3). Good time for a first teaser, but not to start the marketing.

ETA It could actually be today after all (or tomorrow).

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No trailer within the next 36 hours and this is definitely moving. Whether that means September or November we'll have to see. Strange2 tickets go on sale Wednesday. Once that happens, all bets are off for a Thor trailer until after Strange2's release. Then, they would be starting marketing within 2 months of a July release while also promoting Ms. Marvel, Obi-Wan, and Lightyear.(not to mention Universal pushing Jurassic World3). Good time for a first teaser, but not to start the marketing.

ETA It could actually be today after all (or tomorrow).

I still wouldn't hold my breath that a trailer is coming before Dr Strange 2 is released.

We'll see what happens but I still don't buy into this idea that you have that its "definitely moving". But to me this tells me that they aren't releasing a teaser or trailer in order to prevent spoilers. They've locked down everything that is being said in these interviews starting today as well, so that too tells me they are doing everything they can to prevent spoilers. So no trailer, or trailer only released after Dr Strange 2 premieres still makes the most sense.

Jedijax719

I still wouldn't hold my breath that a trailer is coming before Dr Strange 2 is released.

We'll see what happens but I still don't buy into this idea that you have that its "definitely moving". But to me this tells me that they aren't releasing a teaser or trailer in order to prevent spoilers. They've locked down everything that is being said in these interviews starting today as well, so that too tells me they are doing everything they can to prevent spoilers. So no trailer, or trailer only released after Dr Strange 2 premieres still makes the most sense.
Nah, they won't wait that long. Two months from first teaser just won't work. Not with everything else coming out. They'll drop something this week or next Monday. And it will likely be closer to a full trailer (like Universal did for Jurassic World Dominion). Then they'll feature some tidbits at Cinemacon (maybe some photos and stuff). Hemsworth's post indicates that it will be out on time, so marketing is right around the corner.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nah, they won't wait that long. Two months from first teaser just won't work. Not with everything else coming out. They'll drop something this week or next Monday. And it will likely be closer to a full trailer (like Universal did for Jurassic World Dominion). Then they'll feature some tidbits at Cinemacon (maybe some photos and stuff). Hemsworth's post indicates that it will be out on time, so marketing is right around the corner.
That is if there is even a teaser. Plus you kept saying they wouldn't wait so long before, and yet here we are.

Interviews are being done right now without a trailer, which doesn't normally happen as at least the media gets to see the trailer before the interviews so they can ask questions. So that should tell you something, this isn't like a normal marketing campaign from before.

So we'll see, but again don't be surprised if there is no trailer until after Dr Strange 2.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And in more trailer speculation, because fans are so desperate, there is this:

Now I understand that fans want to see a trailer. Heck I would like a trailer too, provided it doesn't lead to too many spoilers. But this is just grasping at straws.....

To me if a trailer comes, cool. If it doesn't come, I'll see the film anyways as I expect all fans will. There is no chance that fans won't see a film because there is no trailer released, or released at a specific time.

LSLS

And in more trailer speculation, because fans are so desperate, there is this:

Now I understand that fans want to see a trailer. Heck I would like a trailer too, provided it doesn't lead to too many spoilers. But this is just grasping at straws.....

To me if a trailer comes, cool. If it doesn't come, I'll see the film anyways as I expect all fans will. There is no chance that fans won't see a film because there is no trailer released, or released at a specific time.

Speak for yourself. If I do not have a minimum of 2 months, 3 weeks, and 4 days to process a trailer, I will NEVER go see the movie.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well Day 532 on Thor4 trailer watch. Dr Strange 2 tickets now on sale. So speculation that the Thor4 trailer would be released when the tickets for Dr Strange 2 went on sale, as expected didn't come true.

So the next speculative date is next Monday, we'll see if that pans out.
After that is Cinemacon on April 25-28th.
And finally Dr Strange 2 release date on May 6th.

So put in your bets now, when will the trailer drop......

MarvelCharacterNerd

So put in your bets now, when will the trailer drop......
1649293666455.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom