Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Animaniac93-98

Thor: Love and Thunder currently holds a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes with 57 reviews.

Now at 72% with 116 reviews. Much lower than I expected.

Disneyfanman

Now at 72% with 116 reviews. Much lower than I expected.
The "first impressions" from critics seemed to indicate that this would be much higher. 128 reviews in.
1657062199428.png

TP2000

So.... Is this going to be another big Marvel hit? Or a rare Marvel miss? Did they really need to add in the gay stuff for an audience of 15 to 25 year old straight men?

As an old gay Scandinavian myself, who actually shares a namesake with this character, it seems like they took a slam dunk and turned it into a near-miss.

Or am I wrong and this will be the big summer hit Burbank so desperately needs right now? 💰💰💰

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So.... Is this going to be another big Marvel hit? Or a rare Marvel miss? Did they really need to add in the gay stuff for an audience of 15 to 25 year old straight men?

As an old gay Scandinavian myself, who actually shares a namesake with this character, it seems like they took a slam dunk and turned it into a near-miss.

Or am I wrong and this will be the big summer hit Burbank so desperately needs right now?
Are you now going to gatekeep every Disney related media thread to make the case that Disney is collapsing?

I especially love the 'innocent question' routine. If Thor succeeds, you were just asking a question. If it fails in any way, you were a genius for seeing it coming.

TP2000

I especially love the 'innocent question' routine. If Thor succeeds, you were just asking a question. If it fails in any way, you were a genius for seeing it coming.

I'm rarely a genius (except for dumping the last of my Disney stock back in '21 and selling my large OC home five months ago at the tip-top of the market, although those were happy coincidences), but this is an honest question.

Lightyear failed. Burbank desperately needs a hit this summer. Did Thor add too much gay stuff to make that happen?

LSLS

Is there a bunch of "gay stuff" in this movie? And honestly, I doubt that would make the critics hate it. Usually the reason critics hate movies are the reason I like them, so it's having 0 effect on my desire to see this.

Jedijax719

Perhaps the humor thing has gone a little too far. Not so in the content OF the humor but about how some filmmakers are trying to take precedent with humor over actual story and content. Not long ago we had comedies, horror, and fantasy films. Since horror is mediocre and comedies are non-existent, many are trying hard to integrate all 3 together and it is working less and less well it seems.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there a bunch of "gay stuff" in this movie? And honestly, I doubt that would make the critics hate it. Usually the reason critics hate movies are the reason I like them, so it's having 0 effect on my desire to see this.
Valkyrie is gay and king of New Asgard.

Don't know how much more gay stuff is there other than that.

Oh, there's a lot of straight stuff, too, between Thor and Jane. How are we going to explain that to the children?! ;)

TP2000

Personally, I'm fine with gay characters being in movies like Thor that are rated PG-13. I think that's about where the age cutoff starts for keeping things less overtly sexual, either gay or straight. The inclusion of the Lesbian character in Lightyear's PG rated family movie felt forced and smarmy to me. And apparently a lot of American parents felt the same way.

I just wonder if adding gay characters to Marvel's PG-13 movies helps with the target demographic?

Although, it's pretty chickencrap of Marvel to keep their "gay stuff" only to Lesbians in supporting/background roles. If Disney really wanted to make a stand for 2SLGBTQIAA+ rights, they'd go for the blatant man-on-man gay stuff with their lead characters in Marvel movies. Of course, the target demographic (straight American males aged 14 to 29) for Marvel would avoid that side of the multiplex like the plague and Marvel's brand would be seriously damaged, but at least Burbank hipsters could satisfy the echo chamber of people on Twitter who weren't going to see the movie anyway? :rolleyes:

As for box office, Thor is projected to be a huge box office draw this weekend. About $150 Million in the USA, and another $150 Million globally. For an opening weekend haul of $300 Million. Burbank needs that shot in the arm!

Last edited:

tcool123

This ranks it around Iron Man 2 and Doctor Strange 2 both of which were very successful. It's also ranked above any of the live action Sony spinoffs, Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, and Eternals all of which were (to varying degrees) hits. (Yes even Morbius as it was able to make double its production budget).

• Headlines were made when the MCU debuted their first gay character in Avengers: Endgame, the second highest grossing move of all time.
  • In Loki, a series that performed very well and is getting a second season. Loki was revealed to be bisexual and following that episode the minutes of Loki viewership went up. The numbers only began to decline when the show ended, and as such you can make the claim that because Loki was confirmed bisexual it made the show more popular.
    they'd go for the blatant man-on-man gay stuff with their lead characters in Marvel movies
  • Phastos from The Eternals was not only confirmed gay, but he had a family! He even shared a goodbye kiss with his husband, and he wasn't a minor character to boot as many of the Eternal characters shared screen time due to it being an ensemble piece. Eternals, while panned by critics, went on to becoming one of the best perforumers in the recovering 2021 box office. Ranking 6th domestically, and 11th globally. Eternals is the 9th best selling home media release of this year, and performed well on the streaming charts being in the top 10 for four weeks of its release.
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness has the mom scene, and of course America Chavez is donning the progress flag throughout the film. She is LGBT+ in the comics, but I believe this was carried over. Dr Strange is of course the second highest grossing film of the year.
Or am I wrong and this will be the big summer hit Burbank so desperately needs right now? 💰💰💰
You mean Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, the big summer hit that started the summer box office season?

TP2000

You mean Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, the big summer hit that started the summer box office season?

Yes, another Marvel hit aimed at it's key demographic of teenage boys and young men. Marvel really is succeeding, where Burbank's other flagship studios have stumbled over the past year; Disney Animation, Pixar, Fox, and Walt Disney Studios.

Doctor Strange has grossed $950 Million worldwide. Using @MisterPenguin's formula that a film must triple it's production budget to break even, with Doctor Strange's very large $200 Million production budget, Burbank has made about $350 Million in profit.

So long as they keep leaving the Twitterverse bozos out of the editing rooms at Marvel Studios, that studio seems to be the one film division of Disney that can do no wrong.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Marvel Comics continues to work on inclusion and adding more queer characters (with the latest being the forthcoming gay Spider-Man). The movies and streaming series are slowly following suit.

However, in this specific case - if the Thor demographic actually was teenage boys and men (assuming that refers to straight ones), they wouldn't from the first film have regularly featured gratuitous shirtless Hemsworth scenes to ogle and the latest trailer for this film would not show Thor's naked rear end.

Most women I know - straight, gay, etc. - freaking adore Valkyrie and the out bi actress who plays her. (I actually forget Tessa was into guys, too, until the behind the scenes pics of her making out with director Taika Waititi & his girlfriend came out a while back!)

The same women Marvel fans were also thrilled by Loki coming out as canonically bi. Not to get too deep in the fandom weeds but there have always been a LOT of Thorki and Stucky fangirls from the very beginning amongst many other gay 'ships. Heck, that stuff goes all the way back to K/S slashfic in the original Trek fan days.

This film may or may not be a hit depending if Taika has gone too far with his own sense of humor, but it's one Marvel franchise segment where the Marvel nerds skew plenty female and more tolerant.

Ghost93

Although, it's pretty chickencrap of Marvel to keep their "gay stuff" only to Lesbians in supporting/background roles. If Disney really wanted to make a stand for 2SLGBTQIAA+ rights, they'd go for the blatant man-on-man gay stuff with their lead characters in Marvel movies.
Phastos in Eternals was gay. However, we are most likely to get a lot of "man-on-man gay stuff" with the relationship between Wiccan and Hulkling in Young Avengers. Wiccan is Wanda's son Billy and Hulkling is his shapeshifting half-skrull boyfriend. They are probably the most famous gay couple in Marvel comics history.

It's speculated that a teenage Billy will first appear in the Agatha House of Harkness show and that Hulkling will appear in either Secret Invasion of the Marvels. They will probably meet and start dating in the Young Avengers movie or Disney Plus series.

Prince-1

So if Thor is a huge hit as expected then I guess people are ok with that darn gay agenda in this movie and not in other movies like Lightyear. It’s almost like people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Must be some selective wokeness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom