Taika Waititi to Direct Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well 2022 is not 2021 nor 2020. Things are different (at least here in the USA). No Way Home and The Batman have shown us that. Heck, so did Shang Chi with its September success.
This has no bearing on the conversation at hand. How SM:NWH and The Batman performed isn't relevant. Yes 2022 is going to be different as people are more comfortable going back to theaters, that wasn't even in question.

But showing trailers in front of movies is very antiquated and passe. It's not the way movies are marketed anymore. Trailers aren't used to promote other films.
Um, trailers are still shown in-front of movies even in 2022. And yes movies are still marketed that way for a majority of consumers. So just because uber fans want a trailer doesn't mean that everyone is going to see it outside of going to another movie.

There's really no reason to deviate from the 4-5 month teaser and the 2-3 month trailer. There's no rule or law, but it's the norm. The pandemic has shortened the timespan for teasers (it was getting crazy with teasers a whole year before release). But full trailers are still pretty much the same.
As you stated this is not 2020 or 2021, so just because they shortened the window for teasers and trailers during that time doesn't mean it will stay that way forever.

I'm more curious about how MCU will be shaking up its calendar for this and next year. Even if Thor (hopefully) comes out in July, they will still have to do some shifting after that.

Movies get shuffled all the time, even before the pandemic. There doesn't even have to be a delay in shooting for there to be a shuffle in the release schedule.

Basically at this point I wouldn't worry about it. The trailer will be released when it gets released. And if that means the movie gets delayed then so be it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm opposed to too many trailers that reveal too much of the plot, or, once you put all the trailers together, you practically have the whole movie.
Its true, trailers have become spoilers unto themselves. It used to be from a trailer you couldn't really tell what the movies was allowing you to be surprised when you see the full movie. Now its deep dives into the whole movies via the trailer, leaving only like 2-3 minutes of surprise.

doctornick

I must be weird, this trailer drama just means absolutely nothing to me. I just read absolutely nothing into the timing of a trailer drop.
Yeah, the entire “debate” is just silly. Disney will release a teaser or trailer whenever they think it will have the most impact. Right now they have Moon Knight and the Doctor Strange to promote and there’s plenty of time to advertise Thor in the future.

Jedijax719

Is the completion of reshoots a prerequisite to cutting a short teaser? I don't think so.

Kicking the goalpost to next Thursday. After that, yeah, it's moving.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is the completion of reshoots a prerequisite to cutting a short teaser? I don't think so.

Kicking the goalpost to next Thursday. After that, yeah, it's moving.
Still not sure why you're positive that still no trailer released means its moving, there is no evidence of this.

I'm starting to see rumblings that Marvel might to be trying again what they did with SM:NWH with the end credit scene. So for Doc Strange 2 the end credit scene will be the trailer for Love and Thunder. It makes sense as it drives more traffic to the current MCU film to watch the movie not just for movie itself but also the trailer for the next MCU film.

Jedijax719

Still not sure why you're positive that still no trailer released means its moving, there is no evidence of this.

I'm starting to see rumblings that Marvel might to be trying again what they did with SM:NWH with the end credit scene. So for Doc Strange 2 the end credit scene will be the trailer for Love and Thunder. It makes sense as it drives more traffic to the current MCU film to watch the movie not just for movie itself but also the trailer for the next MCU film.
NWH was 5 months before Strange 2. Strange 2 is 2 months before Thor. Big difference. If anything, they will wait until after Moon Knight. Or maybe Sunday during the Oscars. At the very latest, in front of Morbius as some have said. It's a bit late as far as big blockbusters go. But they certainly aren't going to wait until May unless the movie is moving way back. Full trailer? Yes. Teaser? No way they will wait that long.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
NWH was 5 months before Strange 2. Strange 2 is 2 months before Thor. Big difference. If anything, they will wait until after Moon Knight. Or maybe Sunday during the Oscars. At the very latest, in front of Morbius as some have said. It's a bit late as far as big blockbusters go. But they certainly aren't going to wait until May unless the movie is moving way back. Full trailer? Yes. Teaser? No way they will wait that long.
Just because you personally think its too short of a window between Doc Strange 2 and Thor 4 doesn't mean Feige and team feels the same way.

And it was me who said in-front of Morbius would make sense.

But with two MCU movies released effectively back-to-back with one leading into the other it would make sense from a marketing standpoint if they had the trailer play as an end credit scene. This way it doesn't lead to potential spoilers for Doc Strange 2 prior to the movie release. And then 5 days after the release of Doc Strange 2 they release the same as full trailer like normal.

So long story short this might be the new paradigm for MCU trailers.

LSLS

I dont understand why the window matters. Would a trailer (or teaser, whatever we are calling these things now) really need 3 months to build to a movie? I mean, does it matter if I see the trailer on television 35 times before opening weekend or 15? It could move, I have no idea and I'm honestly not following anything on it. But in the age of 2 billion youtube views in a week, I'm not sure releasing a trailer 5 months or 1 month before a movie makes a ton if difference.

It actually could be an interesting experiment. Does releasing the trailer further out lessen the excitement? I mean, everyone is hyped to see the trailer. Does it make sense to try to roll that excitement right through to release, or let it marinate and have the excitement pixk back up with anticipation? Does it even matter?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I dont understand why the window matters. Would a trailer (or teaser, whatever we are calling these things now) really need 3 months to build to a movie? I mean, does it matter if I see the trailer on television 35 times before opening weekend or 15? It could move, I have no idea and I'm honestly not following anything on it. But in the age of 2 billion youtube views in a week, I'm not sure releasing a trailer 5 months or 1 month before a movie makes a ton if difference.

It actually could be an interesting experiment. Does releasing the trailer further out lessen the excitement? I mean, everyone is hyped to see the trailer. Does it make sense to try to roll that excitement right through to release, or let it marinate and have the excitement pixk back up with anticipation? Does it even matter?
Exactly, in this internet age that we live in now timelines are getting shorter and shorter. No need to have 6 months of build up especially when the movies are starting to release closer together.

BrianLo

This conversation feels like deja vu. What other movie was someone reading way too much into the marketing timeline? Serious question, I forget.

Predicting anything from marketing is a fruitless exercise.

Jedijax719

This is a thread about the next Thor movie. A person has a question about the trailer which is related to that movie. Suddenly a whole group comes in and starts attacking the poster for raising a legitimate question rather than adding insight or just not responding at all. Nobody's demanding this or complaining about that. Just a simple question and speculation about release dates. Wondering about a trailer or teaser 3 months before a major blockbuster movie is a legitimate material for discussion. Nobody is hijacking the thread. Thankfully there is an ignore button. I suggest if people don't want to hear others talk about matters relating to certain movies, they should either (1) not post in said thread or (2) use the ignore button (like I have).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is a thread about the next Thor movie. A person has a question about the trailer which is related to that movie. Suddenly a whole group comes in and starts attacking the poster for raising a legitimate question rather than adding insight or just not responding at all. Nobody's demanding this or complaining about that. Just a simple question and speculation about release dates. Wondering about a trailer or teaser 3 months before a major blockbuster movie is a legitimate material for discussion. Nobody is hijacking the thread. Thankfully there is an ignore button. I suggest if people don't want to hear others talk about matters relating to certain movies, they should either (1) not post in said thread or (2) use the ignore button (like I have).
And the question has been answered now numerous times, maybe you don't like the answer but it has been answered to the best of the knowledge we have on the situation.

Here is what we know on the trailer front as of the date of this post -

1. A trailer/teaser will come when it comes. There is no date to expect one, and there is no time frame on when it HAS to be released.
2. Marvel marketing might be trying something different where trailers are now released as end credit scenes, and then released later to the public. They might be doing this because they don't want to spoil the film being released before the one in the trailer.
3. Just because a trailer/teaser hasn't been released yet doesn't mean the movie is delayed. Its not delay until the Studio announces its delay and moves release dates.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have an opinion on trailers, too.

I want to hear less about them.

If "a person" expresses a desire for a trailer. Fine.

If "a person" expresses a desire for a trailer over and over again... well, the forum has rules about trolling and not being constructive in one's posting.

If "a person" expresses an opinion that a lack of a trailer is a sign that "something is happening" with the movie production or schedule, then that is part of a discussion in which we can express our opinion, too, which is usually: "no, it isn't."

And then, we all expressed our opinion. And there is no need to restart the sharing of the same opinions by "a person."

BrianLo

I was not personally trying to attack you. You really like trailers, a lot, it's endearing. I wasn't even sure it was you.

So I went back and realized we were having a similar conversation about Shang-Chi. At the time you were worried we had a trailer for Eternals and we had nothing for Shang-Chi and were also inferring a lot of things. Either about quality or the date slipping or lack of confidence with the movie internally.

In the end Shang-Chi stuck its date and was the more successful. I have every confidence the timing is not a herald of something ominous in this instance too. I think a concern for Dr. Strange spoilers could be a more obvious explanation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom