Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction

artvandelay

Listening to Know it Alls podcast and Rob and Stephen brought up a good point. The last full season these players saw before playing was Ghost Island. Ron and Eric were trying to pull a Dominic/Wendell strategy by using David and Devens as their Donathan/Laurel.

Also, the use of “getting to family visit” was a little over the top.

PUSH

Original Poster
The difference is David is probably one of the best strategists in Survivor history, and Laurel and Donathan were complacent pawns.

NYwdwfan

I agree this episode was better, but I wish they would actually unload some people. Eight shows in, two people gone.

The only returning player that's tolerable is David. The other three have worn out their welcome.

Quite the display of power from the "Puppet Master".
And those two people quit. No one has been voted out.

artvandelay

The difference is David is probably one of the best strategists in Survivor history, and Laurel and Donathan were complacent pawns.
Devens complete 180 took me by surprise. He decided on being 7th in a 7 person alliance and abandon the one person who had his back the whole time (plus 1/2 his immunity idol). Devens winds up being on the wrong side of the vote again too.

PUSH

Original Poster
I might have to start watching The Amazing Race just because of Eliza and Corinne. I don't care about Chris and Bret that much, and I sure don't care about Rupert and Laura at all.

I might record it and watch it on the weekends or something.

NYwdwfan

I might have to start watching The Amazing Race just because of Eliza and Corinne. I don't care about Chris and Bret that much, and I sure don't care about Rupert and Laura at all.

I might record it and watch it on the weekends or something.
Wait - what? Is it an entire season of Survivor contestants?

PUSH

Original Poster
Wait - what? Is it an entire season of Survivor contestants?
It's people from Survivor, Big Brother, and The Amazing Race. A CBS reality season. They just announced the cast yesterday, although I've known about the Survivor couples for months now. It premieres on April 17th after Survivor.

GenerationX

I have seen every episode from the beginning of both Survivor and The Amazing Race. TAR is much more about teamwork than strategy. TAR requires team to assess a task and quickly figure out the best way to accomplish it. The locales are beautiful, the tasks are interesting, and the production values are top notch. It's a fantastic show.

PUSH

Original Poster
Survivor is the only reality show I follow religiously. The first season I started watching was season 26, Caramoan (thanks to these forums, actually, I started watching because of threads like this). Since then I have seen every season, and I've seen Micronesia, Caramoan, Blood vs Water, and Cagayan twice.

PUSH

Original Poster
Whoa! That has to be the wildest and most live Tribal Council ever in 38 seasons! They started it with 25 minutes to go in the episode! The immunity challenge came just 13 minutes into the episode! I was half wondering if they were going to have a challenge at Tribal to have someone come back in from EoE. Some thoughts...

- This play worked for Devens and really everyone in the Lesu 5. It's up in the air how everyone else fairs.

- David and Wentworth would be soooo smart to work together, and I love how accepting and honest the conversation between the two was at Tribal. Kelley openly admitted the plan was to vote David, and he accepted that and still worked with her! Playing with his head, not his heart! He's so good!

- Julia shot herself in the foot and got very defensive and just started insulting people by calling Rick a passenger and telling Wardog to shut up. Not a good look. Aurora shot herself in the foot, too, but simmered down after.

- I would LOVE to see an entire video of those conversations, unedited. I would love to see how they all came to a conclusion on Julia.

- I really hope the Lesu 5 can come together, but it looks like Devens just wants to cause chaos now. I hope he doesn't get in his own head, but he doesn't seem like a rational player. I'm happy it worked this week, but I'm nervous for what the future holds for him and Lesu.

- I hate when players are in complete control and on top, then get blindsided because they were exposed, then cry about it the next episode like they are treated so unfairly and victimized by others. Ron and Julie gave me those vibes tonight. I think ultimately Julie was right, she wouldn't have made it super far with Julia, Victoria, and Gavin as a trio, but you can't get upset when things don't go your way, after you've been part of the dictator group the whole season. Same for Ron. You had zero empathy for any of the Lesu, but now you're crying because they blindsided you? Just so hypocritical and self-centered IMO.

- I have no clue what to expect going forward. This merge has been fun after a pretty lousy start to the season IMO. With the way things look, I expect it to continue.

And obviously my power rankings have been horrible so far, but here I go again...

1. Gavin
  2. Victoria
  3. Julie
  4. Lauren
  5. Ron
  6. David
  7. Aurora
  8. Devens
  9. Wardog
  10. Kelley

I just can't put Kelley any higher than the bottom because she has been target #1 since the first vote. She's this season's version of Parvati from HvV.

PUSH

Original Poster
Julia had some post-episode tweets. Some I felt she was passing blame. She said...

- She felt like Aurora's comments were all Lesu needed to work together (rather than taking any blame herself)

- It was obvious she was going home. Apparently Julie was adamant that she wanted Julia and would not budge with her paranoia.

- The plan they had before the meltdown was to vote Kelley, not David, so Devens saved Kelley.

PUSH

Original Poster
Victoria also confirms they were going to vote Kelley, and the plan was never to vote David. Sounds like Kelley would have played her idol, but it became very clear the person going would be Julia. The 7 determined Julia, so everybody else, except Aurora, voted Julia because everyone now needs a new alliance.

JPPT1974

Aurora last week lost points and respect when in the passing out of Lauren. And really trying to keep it on the challenge and talking over to Victoria. Really that could had been a life threatening situation there. She won but really lost as a human being IMHO.

Tribal counsel thought it would not go as long. But when they huddle as like football players. I laughed until I cried. I feel bad for Julia. However as she did not expect that.

NYwdwfan

I think Julia sealed her fate when she told The Wardog to shut up. Julie is annoying - the game finally started for her. No Tribals the first half of the season. No need to strategize because the entire tribe was safe. All of a sudden the game needs to be played and she cries and cries and cries. I disagree with Jeff about everyone at home knowing it's just hard. She DID look like a psychopath.

PUSH

Original Poster
So if anyone is a bit curious about what Survivor might be doing a year from now, a bit of news came out today...
I thought that would be the big idea. Nothing else really makes sense for a "milestone" season. I see Jeff's point, and another problem is that while some of them are definitely repeat candidates, we've already seen some of those repeat too much (JT). Just to look based on my opinions, here is a breakdown. I also wonder how many people would not want to return for just any season, but may for a winner's season. I think Parvati has said that in the past she'd only consider for a winners season.

I would like to see again...
Not too exciting...
On the fence...
Richard HatchVecepia ToweryEthan Zohn
Tina WessonBrian HeidikDanni Boatwright
Sandra Diaz-TwineJenna MorascaJohn Cochran
Tom WestmanAmber Brkich (Mariano)Mike Holloway
Aras BaskauskasChris DaughertyAdam Klein
Yul KwonBob CrowleySarah Lacina
Earl ColeJT ThomasBen Driebergen
Todd HerzogNatalie White
Parvati ShallowJudd "Fabio" Birza
Boston Rob Mariano
Sophie Clarke
Kim Spradlin
Denise Stapley
Tyson Apostol
Tony Vlachos
Natalie Anderson
Jeremy Collins
Michele Fitzgerald
Wendell Holland
Nick Wilson
Total: 12 men, 8 womenTotal: 5 men, 4 womenTotal: 5 men, 2 women

Yes, I know Michele is controversial, but I'd like to see what she could do a second time.

NYwdwfan

I thought that would be the big idea. Nothing else really makes sense for a "milestone" season. I see Jeff's point, and another problem is that while some of them are definitely repeat candidates, we've already seen some of those repeat too much (JT). Just to look based on my opinions, here is a breakdown. I also wonder how many people would not want to return for just any season, but may for a winner's season. I think Parvati has said that in the past she'd only consider for a winners season.

I would like to see again...
Not too exciting...
On the fence...
Richard HatchVecepia ToweryEthan Zohn
Tina WessonBrian HeidikDanni Boatwright
Sandra Diaz-TwineJenna MorascaJohn Cochran
Tom WestmanAmber Brkich (Mariano)Mike Holloway
Aras BaskauskasChris DaughertyAdam Klein
Yul KwonBob CrowleySarah Lacina
Earl ColeJT ThomasBen Driebergen
Todd HerzogNatalie White
Parvati ShallowJudd "Fabio" Birza
Boston Rob Mariano
Sophie Clarke
Kim Spradlin
Denise Stapley
Tyson Apostol
Tony Vlachos
Natalie Anderson
Jeremy Collins
Michele Fitzgerald
Wendell Holland
Nick Wilson
Total: 12 men, 8 womenTotal: 5 men, 4 womenTotal: 5 men, 2 women

Yes, I know Michele is controversial, but I'd like to see what she could do a second time.
I can’t see both Amber and Rob playing again - or one would undoubtedly be first to go.

PUSH

Original Poster
I can’t see both Amber and Rob playing again - or one would undoubtedly be first to go.
Looking at just some of the big names, it'd have to be Amber OR Rob, not both. Kim has a lot of young kids. Parvati just had a baby recently. Not sure they'd want to up and leave their young families like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom