Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction

PUSH

Original Poster
The only one I've gone back and re-watched so far is the first season.

It's interesting to see how different it is from (some) of the players perspective, and the show's perspective.

Jeff is describing it as more of a social and survival experiment, where people could be voted off because they don't contribute.

The players, several episodes post merge are quaintly realizing that only Pagong members are being voted off.

They should release a version of the show that edits out challenge footage, and just states who won. It would be easier to find the time to re-watch as the episodes could be cut down to the twenty minute range I imagine.

On another note, Survivor South Africa: Island of Secrets is six or seven episodes into their latest season and is worth watching.
I just finished Thailand today. I am actually noticing how challenges played into the social politics so much more back then. Of course they had the challenges where you literally showed your pecking order by knocking others out of a reward, or even immunity. (This would actually be fun to see brought back.) But the person who wins rewards had a much bigger burden when choosing someone to go with them. Now people mostly pass it off as gameplay, but back then it could ruin your whole game. It would be hard to follow some episodes without the challenges.

PUSH

Original Poster
So as I said above, I have now gotten through Thailand in my rewatch. I have ranked 18 seasons and 287 players. I won't fill up the forums with the player rankings, but here are my season rankings so far. I have only included ones I have recently rewatched or have aired recently enough that I can remember them pretty well (31 onward minus Koah Rong... I am foggy on some of those events and need a rewatch to remember enough to rank it).

1. Micronesia (16)
  2. Heroes vs Villains (20)
  3. Cambodia (31)
  4. Cagayan (28)
  5. David vs Goliath (37)
  6. Borneo (1)
  7. Blood vs Water (27)
  8. China (15)
  9. Caramoan (26)
  10. Millennials vs Gen X (33)
  11. Africa (3)
  12. Game Changers (34)
  13. Marquesas (4)
  14. The Australian Outback (2)
  15. Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers (35)
  16. Thailand (5)
  17. Ghost Island (36)
  18. Edge of Extinction (38)

PUSH

Original Poster
Take a seat for this one...

The All-Winners season will feature the Edge of Extinction. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This honestly ruins all the hype for me. The producers don't even care about what's good for the game anymore. It's an obvious money grab to keep the viewer's favorites in. And I enjoy watching someone like Parvati play. I don't care about seeing her mope around a beach and NOT play!

This news p*sses me off to no end.

PUSH

Original Poster
I honestly feel like Jeff and the producers are insulting us as loyal, longtime fans. It was so obvious what viewers thought of 38. And I feel like we are just an afterthought in the minds of production with this news. We aren't people who just turn on the TV to watch Survivor and then go about our day. There are so many of us who care so deeply about the amazing game. And it's great that Jeff thanks us for being loyal after so many seasons and says we are the reason it's going to a 40th season, but they so clearly do not care about what we want. Each season has gotten worse and worse with the ridiculous ideas that continue to push us farther and farther from what is so great about the game of Survivor. I have been rewatching old seasons. And by old, I mean the very beginning of the show. Seasons 1-8. You know what made a season like The Amazon so great? The people. The strategy. The gameplay. The social interactions. Not a twist that will give Rob Cesternino another chance to win. Yes, he was the best player. But I am not so simple-minded that I can't fathom the idea of the fan favorite not winning. I am intelligent enough to understand that my favorite might not win. Some of the best players might go out pre-merge. We might have a season like Ghost Island where most of the good players left pre-merge. But you know what? That's okay! Those loyal viewers who keep the show going would rather have that than the ridiculousness of season 38. Especially in such an important and monumental season like All-Winners? I love Kim. I love Parvati. I want to see them win again. But I would rather them be the first boot than have them win after returning to the game. That is just an insult to me, quite frankly. And I feel heavily insulted by Jeff and the producers right now.

I know my feelings will lessen, but these are my true thoughts right now. I have lost all excitement for season 40, which was one of my most anticipated seasons ever. If the show were to premiere right now, I truly feel that I may not want to watch it. It's very disappointing. Jeff and the producers have really lost sight of the game.

Wendy Pleakley

Take a seat for this one...

The All-Winners season will feature the Edge of Extinction. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This honestly ruins all the hype for me. The producers don't even care about what's good for the game anymore. It's an obvious money grab to keep the viewer's favorites in. And I enjoy watching someone like Parvati play. I don't care about seeing her mope around a beach and NOT play!

This news p*sses me off to no end.

Perhaps it will be interesting to see how seasoned players react to EoE.

The biggest problem last season was that the winner had an advantage in that he didn't vote the jury out, and spent time with them. It was unfair.

Will a jury of winners not take things personally? Will they be more objective in how they vote? Since they all have some degree of a relationship going in, will EoE be less advantageous?

Wendy Pleakley

Each season has gotten worse and worse with the ridiculous ideas that continue to push us farther and farther from what is so great about the game of Survivor. I have been rewatching old seasons. And by old, I mean the very beginning of the show. Seasons 1-8. You know what made a season like The Amazon so great? The people. The strategy. The gameplay. The social interactions.

It's so hard to say whether or not the show would still be popular if it followed the original format.

I just re-watched some of season 2, and it basically came down to the first vote at merge, after which one team ran the table. That could be every season. How boring would that be?

The show is now so full of twists that it feels like the players have little to no control over the game at this point. It's not the same show it once was, but I can't deny it's unpredictable.

PUSH

Original Poster
This one isn't as big, but the winning prize will increase from $1 million to $2 million, likely as an incentive to get some of the superstars back who have said they're done. For example, players like Parvati have said they would not return again. It's also been speculated that some players have been paid to return. And now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if the EoE twist was added as another benefit to play again. Increase the odds. Because for some players who have already won, it's not something they truly want to do again. They don't want to risk being an early boot. If EoE is a surprise for the players at the merge again, this thought will be proven wrong. Regardless, the EoE sucks.

PUSH

Original Poster
Just saw a commercial for the Battle Vision with Hunter Ellis from season 4 Marquesas. I love when I notice Survivors in random scenarios. :hilarious:

Wendy Pleakley

Australian Survivor just launched a new season, and they air two episodes a week.

With that and South Africa, that's three new episodes of Survivor to watch weekly at the moment.

Kind of ironic that the "off season" of American Survivor is more packed.

PUSH

Original Poster
It is now being reported that Rudy is alive, and the news of his passing came from an inaccurate source. He is in hospice care, and his health is declining slowly.

PUSH

Original Poster
The title for the all-winners season will be "Winners at War". Definitely not the worst title they've had. HHH is by far the worst. You can also find spoilers for the tribe breakdown.

I think I'm ready to be done with spoilers, but I see them on Twitter, and nobody hides them. They are just blatant tweets. As long as I don't know what happens within the game, I'm good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom