Trip Report Surviving the Fantasy - Making the most of moments before they're gone...

Maybe other parents of teenagers can relate to yet another "season" of parenthood when your teenagers are busy people and time with them becomes less and less. You realize that the time you thought you had to do all those little things you put off when your kiddos were younger is growing ever-so short. Why does time speed up?! Ugh!

This trip was a journey of adversity before we ever left home. So many little things popped up that potentially jeopardized the whole trip beginning months prior. Even when intuition kept poking me and trying to tell me this trip isn't the thing to do, the petulant child in me refused to give in or give up. We went, by God, in the face of all the adversity that life could throw us we went. After all, time stops for no one. My boys and my brother's girls aren't getting younger and their individual lives aren't getting simpler. My favorite "big guys" in the whole world, my husband and big brother, aren't growing younger any faster than I am. Dues had to be paid, I suppose, for my stubborn nature and pay them I did. Looking back I have no regrets. I made it through with warm memories and fantastical stories to tell of our amazing adventure. Oh yes. We survived the Fantasy. No, we kicked the Fantasy's butt because we didn't let it kick ours. We went to places I never imagined I'd go and we did things I never thought I'd say I did. We did it all together as a family, a big, crazy family out to make the most of the moments we have before they're all gone.

Who?
-Me, the SweetPee
-Tracey, the devoted/entertaining husband
-Chandler, my 17 yro son
-Brian, my 15 yro son
-Jerry, my older brother (@obrienIII)
-Sydney, my 16 yro niece
-Sarah, my 14 yro niece

What?
-Family vacation, baby!

Where?
-2 nights @ Pop Century
-7 night Disney Fantasy Western Cruise (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Castaway Cay)

When?
-May 23, 2013 - June 1, 2013

So come along with me for a wild ride of highs & lows, teenager-filled fun, amazing activities, and wild rides. You won't be disappointed!

But first....@obrienIII....I have a question: Exactly what would you do if I posted some of those forbidden pictures in my report? I would like to calculate my options.

fractal

I'm sure it did stink but I wasn't trying to find out just how much. LOL! I'm sooooo itching to hit up Disneyland. We're booked for a 15-night Panama Canal for May 2014 but I want to go to Disneyland really bad. I'm tempted to swap that canal passage for a DL/California trip. I have a feeling waiting for the Panama Canal expansion to complete in 2015 or 16 will be a good thing. Then again, as I'm sure you also feel, with the kids getting older it makes planning harder and it feels time is growing ever-shorter. Do you feel that, like the time left to do the things you always wanted to with your kids is slipping away faster than you're willing to accept???

Yes, time is getting shorter and seems to be going faster! Heck, next year I'll be down to just one teenager. My saving grace is Toni - at 11 we have a few more years to go with her.

I certainly value the time together much more than I did 10 years ago.

Kristia

Bummer Tracey and Chandler got sick! You guys couldn't catch a break with the illnesses this trip! And how sad that your Castaway Cay day was a wash. That weather looked horrible. I was just looking at the itineraries for 2014 and saw there was 1 sailing date out of Port Canaveral in Sept that had a Key West day and 2 Castaway Cay days! I so want to do that one! There was no at sea day which I would miss, but I would just stay on the ship on the Nassau day. Probably won't be able to do it though because we are going to try to save for a big trip for our 20th anniversary in 2015. Decisions, decisions!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Note to self: leave strappy shoes at home when packing for Girls Cruise. :D

Oh, and totally forgot to mention Tracey & Chandler getting sick. Total bummer. At that point, you must all have been wondering what ELSE could go wrong on this vacation!! No wonder you want a Fantasy do-over!

Totally off topic, I just glanced out my window and there is a DAK Tree of Life-shaped cloud floating by. :D

Avoid heels. Heels can hurt you if they're strappy and you have swollen feets.

We really were wondering what else could happen. Not gonna lie, we had our moments when they got sick too. When we were alone just the 2 of us we'd quietly say things like, "Okay, ready to be at home now" or "This one won't be so hard when it ends." It was true. We were nearing the end of our ropes at times.

Loved your Tree of Life cloud! I love the little sprinkles of pixie dust in our ordinary lives. ;)

That's a fun dose of Disney magic at home!

Agreed! I think of those little bits of magic at home as little gifts. LOL!

Yes, time is getting shorter and seems to be going faster! Heck, next year I'll be down to just one teenager. My saving grace is Toni - at 11 we have a few more years to go with her.

I certainly value the time together much more than I did 10 years ago.

So true. 10 years ago I thought I had all the time in the world. Now? Not-so-much.

Bummer Tracey and Chandler got sick! You guys couldn't catch a break with the illnesses this trip! And how sad that your Castaway Cay day was a wash. That weather looked horrible. I was just looking at the itineraries for 2014 and saw there was 1 sailing date out of Port Canaveral in Sept that had a Key West day and 2 Castaway Cay days! I so want to do that one! There was no at sea day which I would miss, but I would just stay on the ship on the Nassau day. Probably won't be able to do it though because we are going to try to save for a big trip for our 20th anniversary in 2015. Decisions, decisions!

Oh man! That does sound like an incredible itinerary! Which ship was it????

WLBound

This is the first time I've ever read one of your reports and I'm enjoying it so much. The way you tell stories it's almost like I'm right there experiencing it with you. The true sign of a gifted storyteller. I love the pictures you've added (especially the cheeseburger back on page 4...the pickles ended up forming a hidden Mickey).

EmmabaRose

Isn't Mellow Mushroom the best?! I love it. I do. I've not had anything bad there yet.

Don't rule out the cruises forever! Disney sails to Europe! And, depending when you travel to the US, some sailings can be pretty affordable. If you have to travel during the pricier busy times of year your best bet is to learn the usual patterns when DCL releases the new itineraries and jump to book as soon as they do. Prices on the cruises typically start low then increase as bookings increase and availability decreases. Never hurts to contact a Disney-specific travel agent, let them know what your budget would be, then see what they can find for you. Worst thing they could say is, "Sorry, there's nothing for that price." Plus, if you book a few years in advance it gives you longer to pay the balance down, right?

No trip is perfect. If it is, you prob'ly weren't there. LOL! I used to read trip reports that were so amazing then think there's something wrong with us if we had fusses or melt downs. It happens. It's real. It's not that bad stuff that happens that defines the trip, it's what you do in spite of them that does!

It really is. I've eaten a lot of things since being in the States that I am going to miss when I go home.

Hmmm... thanks for the advice. Might be something to consider for our honeymoon. We can save, I'll add it to the list of things I need to save for. Weddings and Immigration are seriously expensive LOL! It's taking us longer to recover financially for our last Disney trip, so we shall see...

Absolutely, and there were definitely at least couple of fusses AND meltdowns. Mostly because I was stressing my fiance was having a bad time. He's the kind of person who if he says he's having a good time, you have to take his word for it, because his face will give you no clue!! XD But we talked it out, and carried on with our day.

PartOfYourWorld

Sorry that you're last day at Castaway was crapola :( That rain does not seem like it's fun.

But it's really great that you kept fighting through that flu and stil managed to do all the excursions, etc. Go Kelly!!!

The midship detective agency looks like a lot of fun! Didn't get a chance to do it on the Dream when I was just on it, but definitely will try it on the girl's cruise!!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
holy cow... finally caught up in this thread. Massive :)

We're taking my sister in law and her family in Nov on the Fantasy... praying for no family drama :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
This is the first time I've ever read one of your reports and I'm enjoying it so much. The way you tell stories it's almost like I'm right there experiencing it with you. The true sign of a gifted storyteller. I love the pictures you've added (especially the cheeseburger back on page 4...the pickles ended up forming a hidden Mickey).

Thank you so very much! That's one of the nices compliments ever! I love to write as I love to talk so I probably say entirely too much. I have a creative streak: sketching, painting, crafting, sewing, etc. To me, writing is like creating something with words. I love a good storyteller. I've known some pretty epic tale-weavers, prob'ly related to more than a few. Weaving a fine tale is like weaving a fine tapestry, done with finesse and you'll transcend time. So, yeah, I place a tremendous value on a person who has the storytelling gift. But, for someone to offer that compliment to me...well, that's big. I'm not particularly educated. Didn't finish college or anything. I just love a good story and love to create. Put those 2 together and this is what ya get. ;)

I noticed the pickles when I was editing pics. No, Tracey didn't arrange them that way. Maybe the food service crew did! I wouldn't be surprised at all!

I love your reports! I get so excited when I see them pop up! The pictures are amazing as usual and looks like a great time!!

Thank YOU! My pictures leave a lot to be desired but they help the story along so I go with what I have. Even with all the adversity, it WAS a great time. :D

It really is. I've eaten a lot of things since being in the States that I am going to miss when I go home.

Hmmm... thanks for the advice. Might be something to consider for our honeymoon. We can save, I'll add it to the list of things I need to save for. Weddings and Immigration are seriously expensive LOL! It's taking us longer to recover financially for our last Disney trip, so we shall see...

Absolutely, and there were definitely at least couple of fusses AND meltdowns. Mostly because I was stressing my fiance was having a bad time. He's the kind of person who if he says he's having a good time, you have to take his word for it, because his face will give you no clue!! XD But we talked it out, and carried on with our day.

Well, darlin', you're doing a lot better than us already! When we got married (I was 19, Tracey was 21) we had our clothes, our childhood trinkets, a hand-me-down bedroom set, his 13" tv, and a beat down 13 yro pick-up truck. That's IT. We were both still students and lived in a converted garage behind my in-law's house. Our honeymoon was a night at the beach 100 miles from where we lived. We only had 1 night because we got married on a Saturday then needed to start the fall semester at school on Monday. LOL! It was many years before we could afford to travel or take any proper vacations. We had each other and seemingly limitless dreams which was all we really needed. I love that we can go and do things now but I can honestly say we weren't any less happy when we had next to nothing and couldn't afford to go anywhere. One thing's for sure, when the time comes Mickey's boat will be waiting for you to come along for a high-seas adventure just as the parks will always be waiting for your return. Right? ;)

Don't worry about the squabbles. Those are the things you won't even think of 20 years from now anymore than you'll be thinking about the money spent. I think of those trying moments on vacation as the necessary yin for the yang. If you want to truly feel the highs of the best moments you have to have felt the lows of the lousiest moments. You can't have one without the other, right?

*runs back to page 4 to check out pickles*

Holy Carp!! The pickles do form a Hidden Mickey!! Did Tracey do that on purpose? o_O

I guess I should go back and look, too. I seriously don't think Tracey did the pickle arrangement on purpose! LOL!

Sorry that you're last day at Castaway was crapola :( That rain does not seem like it's fun.

But it's really great that you kept fighting through that flu and stil managed to do all the excursions, etc. Go Kelly!!!

The midship detective agency looks like a lot of fun! Didn't get a chance to do it on the Dream when I was just on it, but definitely will try it on the girl's cruise!!!!

If we hadn't been sick already we prob'ly would've been running around in the rain finding puddles for jumping. It was the rain on top of the sick that kept us from even considering going out on Castaway Cay.

I still have no idea what the heck I had. I had big, painful blisters on my throat. The antibiotics seemed to have helped but that could also be coincidence. It lingered for a LONG time, though. It's been in the past 4 days that my cough has finally all but stopped.

The detective agency is so fun! Chandler did like 4 different cases. I love the Muppets cases on the Fantasy which isn't surprising since I love the Muppets. Even if you use elevators to traverse the ship, you will get a good little workout from all the walking. If you're out to work off those extra desserts and drinky-drinks, do a whole case without using elevators. o_O Then again, at the end you may need an ice cream AND a few drinks to replenish yourself. LOL!

holy cow... finally caught up in this thread. Massive :)

We're taking my sister in law and her family in Nov on the Fantasy... praying for no family drama :)

I know, Flynn. I have a real problem with shutting up. :p

I understand. We're on the Allure of the Seas with the hubby's family in November. Tracey and his next youngest brother, Kacey, have $100 bet on who can make it up the rock wall fastest. Additionally, if Kacey wins Tracey has to go get a pedicure with me, Kacey, and his wife. If Tracey wins Kacey has to wash and detail Tracey's boat. Gotta give it to Kacey, he's been going to the gym and working hard. He's had problems with ankles and knees in the past as well as other health issues. Tracey hasn't had the same problems but isn't going to the gym either. Not sure who will win or if either will finish. Personally, I predict these 2 killin' themselves trying to win and ruining themselves for the rest of the trip. o_O Boys are so weird. I guess Tameka, Kacey's wife, and I will have a good time post-race. Neither of us will take pity on foolish men. I'm planning to invite her to skip the competition altogether with me (in protest) and go do something else fun. I don't even want to see that train-wreck go down. Talk about potential for family drama! :rolleyes:

joanna71985

I am chanting ... I WILL sail on the Fantasy!!!!! LOL

Well, if you need someone to go with ;)

I am seriously itchin' to get back on the ship. I need to make up for my ..."interesting" cruise

Note to self: leave strappy shoes at home when packing for Girls Cruise. :D

I think I own all of one pair of heels. I feel much better in flats. Even for Formal Night on my Fantasy cruise, I wore flats

meeskamickey

I was so excited to see you had another trip report. The way you write makes the reader feel like they are right there with you. I always love reading your reports!

It totally stinks that a lot of your crew was sick at some point during your journey. That would be horrible to have paid for this awesome vacation only to be battling illness throughout it!

I know I've written this in another trip report but I just have to (once again) say that your boys seem to be such great gentlemen. The flowers for mom at the beginning of your trip as well as Brian's platter of goodies to say he's sorry just show how they are caring kids. You & hubby should be proud. One day they will make great husbands/boyfriends :).

I love it that the cousins are so close! My kids are a little bit younger than yours (8,7 & 4) and I can totally relate to the pics you posted of all the kids hanging out when they were younger. My kids have one cousin their age and she's here all the time....actually here right now (been sleeping over here since Sunday). It's encouraging to see that as they grow they can still be just as close.

Can't wait for the conclusion....although sad your report is coming to an end!

jhoff3405

Been popping in and out reading all along. I always enjoy your trip reports as you share so much of your life in them.

We just had our own family vacation in Panama City Beach last week.....without the oldest son! So, not sure if it was truly a family vacation, or if I need to redefine what a family vacation is. (He is soon to be a Junior in college and got a summer internship in Milwaukee. We moved his bedroom out of our house and into his new apartment. :( ). Talk about a some surreal experiences. Thankfully the middle son is going to live at home and attend a college close to us, so I at least have him at home for one more year. The poor youngest son is going to be in some trouble when he is the only one left....the line from what I believe is a Tom and Jerry cartoon comes to mind "I'm gonna love him and hug him and squeeze him...."

Hysterical about Mellow Mushroom as we ate at one in Panama City (never having heard of it before) and then I read about it in your report! I swear the one we visited we could have gotten any illegal substance we wanted from any number of the wait staff. They were living the term "mellow mushroom!"

Love that you bought drugs in Mexico and that you visited Walmart. You are so right that when traveling its important to see what other spaces are really like as staying with the "tourist groups" you might not get authentic experiences.

The stingray experience...awesome, though I think I might have stayed out of the water like Chandler.

So much fun traveling with family. For my parents 40th in 2007, they took all of us to WDW. Priceless memories were made. I keep hoping that we get another chance to do another family vacation.

Thanks again for the great read!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I was so excited to see you had another trip report. The way you write makes the reader feel like they are right there with you. I always love reading your reports!

It totally stinks that a lot of your crew was sick at some point during your journey. That would be horrible to have paid for this awesome vacation only to be battling illness throughout it!

I know I've written this in another trip report but I just have to (once again) say that your boys seem to be such great gentlemen. The flowers for mom at the beginning of your trip as well as Brian's platter of goodies to say he's sorry just show how they are caring kids. You & hubby should be proud. One day they will make great husbands/boyfriends :).

I love it that the cousins are so close! My kids are a little bit younger than yours (8,7 & 4) and I can totally relate to the pics you posted of all the kids hanging out when they were younger. My kids have one cousin their age and she's here all the time....actually here right now (been sleeping over here since Sunday). It's encouraging to see that as they grow they can still be just as close.

Can't wait for the conclusion....although sad your report is coming to an end!

Thank you!

Well, yeah. It was the most expensive cruise per person per night that we have done to date and it went like this. :mad:

Thanks so much for the kind words about my boys. We are super-proud of how un-self-centered they seem to be most of the time. Definitely has been a conscious effort over the years to make it clear that the universe is not yourself, it's all around you. A person should be a participant in the world around them, not the other way around. Ya know? I say all the time that I think my boys will make incredible doting husbands & fathers someday. Chandler swears up & down he's never getting married and never having kids. What a travesty would that be??? My only concern is that as soft-hearted as they are, they'll cross paths with the wrong girl who won't appreciate them or will take advantage. I cannot tell you how I would handle that. I could see myself seriously harming another human being. Not exagerating. I could land in jail. :eek:

Cousins are awesome. I only wish I lived closer to some of mine. I miss them! I mean, who else can you say you've piled into a bathtub with and had chicken pox with and played Dukes of Hazzard with???? Right?????

Have to do a bit of editing the last at-sea day because I found pictures I forgot I had. Like Jerry asleep in the theater when he woke people up snoring. It's good stuff!

It is the Wonder. Looks like it is a one time thing in Sept. I don't see any other cruises with that itinerary. I so want to go!!!

That must be what Tracey was talking about last night. He was saying something about it. The Magic is doing some double-dips this fall, too. I *may* or *may not* be on one with a near-n-dear fellow Disney-infected friend.... :cool:

Been popping in and out reading all along. I always enjoy your trip reports as you share so much of your life in them.

We just had our own family vacation in Panama City Beach last week.....without the oldest son! So, not sure if it was truly a family vacation, or if I need to redefine what a family vacation is. (He is soon to be a Junior in college and got a summer internship in Milwaukee. We moved his bedroom out of our house and into his new apartment. :( ). Talk about a some surreal experiences. Thankfully the middle son is going to live at home and attend a college close to us, so I at least have him at home for one more year. The poor youngest son is going to be in some trouble when he is the only one left....the line from what I believe is a Tom and Jerry cartoon comes to mind "I'm gonna love him and hug him and squeeze him...."

Hysterical about Mellow Mushroom as we ate at one in Panama City (never having heard of it before) and then I read about it in your report! I swear the one we visited we could have gotten any illegal substance we wanted from any number of the wait staff. They were living the term "mellow mushroom!"

Love that you bought drugs in Mexico and that you visited Walmart. You are so right that when traveling its important to see what other spaces are really like as staying with the "tourist groups" you might not get authentic experiences.

The stingray experience...awesome, though I think I might have stayed out of the water like Chandler.

So much fun traveling with family. For my parents 40th in 2007, they took all of us to WDW. Priceless memories were made. I keep hoping that we get another chance to do another family vacation.

Thanks again for the great read!

You're breaking my heart!!! Ugh! My babies can never ever ever grow up and leave me!!!! Well, at least Chandler, at 17, still swears he wants to take care of us and stay close to us forever. I had to talk Brian into living in a house next door rather than with us when he grows up several years back. LOL! Then again, we have a running list of places we want to go and things we want to do when the kids are gone. Maybe them growing up and leaving isn't such a bad thing... LOL!

Awwww, well, yeah. I'm told by a few people near to me that maybe I put too much of me out there in my writing. But that's who I am.

Panama City Beach is our old stompin' ground! Been there several times! I sorta kinda ran off there with friends even after my dad said I couldn't go when I was a really terrible teenager. That didn't go well when I got back home. o_O Tracey's parents used to have a thing for staying at the Edgewater golf villas. Best round of golf I've ever seen my MiL play was on their course. She was sippin' pina coladas and tearin' the course up. It was so cool!

I think Chandler will go to a local college so I have no doubt we've got some good years left with him at home. Brian I think is more likely to join the military. I dunno. He could surprise me. I just have a feeling I've got a future Marine on my hands with him. He'd be a duck-in-water for sure. If anything, maybe he'll stay here and stay in a local college so he can gear towards officer's school vs. enlisted. Only time will tell, right?

I think that vibe is pretty standard at Mellow Mushrooms. I've been to several. It's more pronounced sometimes but it's the overall schtick, really. I don't even care. Just bring me the slap-ya-momma pretzels, killer pizza, and keep the beers flowing. I'm good. :D

Drugs in Mexico. Never thought that's something I could say I've done but life is full of fun twists. At least they were legal, right???

I asked Chandler if we went back would he do the stingrays. Nope. He's just not down with them. So funny! They were so cool. It was a bit startling when the feeding frenzy started but overall, it was awesome! I'd do it again anytime!

steviej

I'm going on the fantasy for thanksgiving. Can't find anything about a mixology class, I definitely wanna do that!

I really hope they're offering it on the cruise I go on.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm going on the fantasy for thanksgiving. Can't find anything about a mixology class, I definitely wanna do that!

I really hope they're offering it on the cruise I go on.

They will offer it. Don't worry. As soon as you board the ship go to Guest Services and sign up. They'll also have the list & schedule of all the tastings and things you can sign up for. Pick your evil and get on the list! There's mention of them in the daily Navigators but it's not always real obvious. Your best bet is to go to Guest Services as soon as you board and get all that stuff squared away. If you have any questions just lemme know. You'll have an amazing time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom