Trip Report Surviving the Fantasy - Making the most of moments before they're gone...

Maybe other parents of teenagers can relate to yet another "season" of parenthood when your teenagers are busy people and time with them becomes less and less. You realize that the time you thought you had to do all those little things you put off when your kiddos were younger is growing ever-so short. Why does time speed up?! Ugh!

This trip was a journey of adversity before we ever left home. So many little things popped up that potentially jeopardized the whole trip beginning months prior. Even when intuition kept poking me and trying to tell me this trip isn't the thing to do, the petulant child in me refused to give in or give up. We went, by God, in the face of all the adversity that life could throw us we went. After all, time stops for no one. My boys and my brother's girls aren't getting younger and their individual lives aren't getting simpler. My favorite "big guys" in the whole world, my husband and big brother, aren't growing younger any faster than I am. Dues had to be paid, I suppose, for my stubborn nature and pay them I did. Looking back I have no regrets. I made it through with warm memories and fantastical stories to tell of our amazing adventure. Oh yes. We survived the Fantasy. No, we kicked the Fantasy's butt because we didn't let it kick ours. We went to places I never imagined I'd go and we did things I never thought I'd say I did. We did it all together as a family, a big, crazy family out to make the most of the moments we have before they're all gone.

Who?
-Me, the SweetPee
-Tracey, the devoted/entertaining husband
-Chandler, my 17 yro son
-Brian, my 15 yro son
-Jerry, my older brother (@obrienIII)
-Sydney, my 16 yro niece
-Sarah, my 14 yro niece

What?
-Family vacation, baby!

Where?
-2 nights @ Pop Century
-7 night Disney Fantasy Western Cruise (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Castaway Cay)

When?
-May 23, 2013 - June 1, 2013

So come along with me for a wild ride of highs & lows, teenager-filled fun, amazing activities, and wild rides. You won't be disappointed!

But first....@obrienIII....I have a question: Exactly what would you do if I posted some of those forbidden pictures in my report? I would like to calculate my options.

Disney_Belle

Awww I'm sorry Tracey and Chandler got sick :( Speaking of Tracey and Chandler, I always have to look at pictures of them a few extra seconds because they look so much alike!

And next time, go with flats silly lady! Your poor toesies look so sore!

Love the rest of the report so far. I need to beef up my note-taking skills! Your reports are so detailed!

iloverags2

Oh man, I'm so sorry your last day was as lousy as it was. I know you had mentioned that previously, but I don't think I realized just how utterly poopy that day was. :( So glad you are going back in September...you deserve that trip!

Shazza

So glad i found this forum. Amazing trippy report you have had me enthralled - I have spent the last few weeks catching up on your vacations and wonderful cruisecations that you have convinced me that our planned trip in April 2015 will now include a cruise. If only we could have fit it into our plans for May 2014 only 305 days to go :) Sorry you were so poorly on this trip.

Nubs70

Another drug you may wish to consider packing in case Montezuma`s revenge, it is Lomotil. It slows the gi tract. I had need for this in Mexico City and it was a lifesaver.

fractal

Sorry to hear about Tracey and Chandler. That just stinks. Great trip report - I read you post about returning to the parks. I think if you do make it out to Disneyland you will love it.

minnielaw

Kelly!!! A new TR!! Ok, just getting started here and I am only on page 4, but LOVING it as usual. Was going to try to wait until I finished the entire thing to comment....but just can't restrain myself and you know how verbose I get commenting on your excellent TR's.

Love the coverage of the drive to FL...I am totally with you on the concept that the trip down is when it all begins and is some of the best time. Ryan and I talk non-stop during our 12 hour drive...maybe because the boys are plugged into their tech gear and not constantly saying "mom, can you..." "mom, where is my..." "mom, what is there to eat?"....you get the gist. I was so sentimental when I saw the office tower!

Typhoon Lagoon..we totally loved it too and I could (and probably did) stay on the Lazy River float all. Day. Long. Nothing better than floating through such beautiful scenery with flowers dropping in my hair! Paradise! I am with your niece though...I totally chickened out of the Shark Reef...not sure why since I love snorkeling, but maybe because I felt pressure to hurry up. So sorry about your lost sunglasses :( Ryan used to sell Oakleys so I used to be so nonchalant about losing them...no biggie, more where they came from. Now, not so much!

Loved the video from the parking lot fiasco! That is such an honest reaction...I totally would have been saying that to my boys too. I am with ya on the attitude of the parking lot workers...find another job if your job makes you so unhappy!

That Tracey is such a keeper!! Flowers and a fruit and cheese tray...you have trained him well. ;) Kudos to the boys from learning from the master and sending flowers too. I love to hear about their antics..it gives me faith that the entire world of teenagers has not been turned into earplug wearing, texting, monosyllabic, idiots! You're a first class mom and it shows in your awesome boys!

Looking at your cruise videos makes me realize that our families would have a heck of a southern good time on a cruise together! My husband and Tracey were separated at birth and our boys are mirror images, personality wise! Anyhoo....we need to plan up a trip where we can meet!

Getting sick on the ship....BOO!! You did a fabulous job pushing through it and managing to have fun despite your circumstances. Of course you would though..you are such a class act and would not want to cause anyone else a minute of worry or inconvenience.

Love the cherry stem video too! As Ryan would say...Boo yah! I have a friend who can do that and it always amazes me. I have a few party tricks too...come on vacay with me and I will show you ;)

Alright...enough commentating...back to reading...

EmmabaRose

First of all I have to get excited about Mellow Mushroom! I'm a brit on a huge trip to the US, in SC right now, and I was at the one in Charleston just about a week ago. Probably one of my favorite places we have eaten since I got here. If I could ship their funky q chicken pizza to England I would!

Your TR is really making me want to try a cruise! Sadly, our funds do not reflect my ambition, lol! Maybe one day....

Also, I really love how honest your TR is. You don't sugarcoat the parts that weren't so awesome, and it really makes it so much more human. I'm currently in the process of writing my TR, and there are certain parts I was unsure about including, because there was certainly a clash of vacation styles between my fiancé and I! But reading this, I have decided to include them. No-one's vacation is truly perfect, right?

foreverbelle

Ugh I am so sorry to hear you guys were all sick how horrible. I always fear that we will right before vacation. I am just sad to hear you guys were.

On another note, I think I got way to excited to see that Gonnies T-shirt!!!! And I may or may not have yelled out 'Hey you guys!' Just a little too loudly.
OK enough Gonnie love because yes I could go on and on about this.

I love the sun set photos! Gorgeous but your pictures are always gorgeous so.

I give Jerry and the girls credit for sticking it out and snorkel on through. I am pretty sure we would have given up and stayed on ship. But kudos to them for being tough.

GenerationX

Your choice of excursions are exactly the type of activity we would choose, too. No surprise in that our boys are about the same age ... we just have one extra. We would love the stingray outing, the xrails, and the wild animals (particularly the birds). The snake looked like a large ball python; they're really tame. Rough ride, mud, and all, I'm sure my boys and I would thoroughly enjoy the xrails.

The last time we went as a family to WDW, we had one free day at the end that I had purposely left open. We hadn't gotten rained out of anything the days before, so by the end of the week it was still open. I asked everyone what they wanted to redo of the parks and waterparks, and all five of us had Typhoon Lagoon as #1 or #2, which is where we went.

Howe

This TR came at just the right time! As you know from Instagram, I've been in bed all weekend with the stomach bug and your TR was the perfect distraction! I agree with everyone else--you are an excellent storyteller and a fantastic mom! Love following along with your family adventures. I too love me some starbucks--worked there as a barista in college!! (two other coffee shops as well) So excited for the girls cruise and to get to meet you!

angieandtrevor

Another great trip report Kelly, my gosh, I just love your honesty :) I was dying laughing watching the video from when you were at the parking garage.....that would have been me, lol !! So sorry that you got sick, I always worry about that before trips so I tend to load up on vitamins however even that can't help you when something nasty is brewing in your system. On the plus side though you get to do a re-do cruise which is awesome !!

Okay, I love that picture of Chandler sitting on the boat in Grand Cayman - he was having no part in those stingrays......aaaaand that would be my husband. On our 2nd cruise we booked a snorkel/stingray excursion in Grand Turk (Turks & Caicos) and in true Trevor form he agreed to do the excursion (as I really wanted to do it) and then when we get on the boat after snorkeling he was like "yeah, I am soooo not swimming with any stingrays.....hello, look at what happened to Steve Irwin". Yep 6"2" - 220 pounds and he was friggin' scared of a little ol' stingray. I think I have similar pictures of Trevor sitting on our boat as well.

If you looking for a different excursion to do while in Grand Cayman there is a really great one where you do a little water tour on jet skis and then you go snorkeling as well. We had it booked a few years ago but the weather was terrible so they cancelled it. We have wanted to try it out again because we have had others who did it and raved about it. But our last 2 visits we were accompanied by a tiny person so we had to pass. I can send you the info, they are super nice, and the wife of the owner is Canadian which makes them even more awesome :D

We have done the Western Caribbean a few times and we have done lots of great excursions so if you want something different to try give me a shout and I will send you some info.

Can't wait to read more.....

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay, everyone. I was on my way to throwing a fast, not-much-of-a wrap-up out here but discovered a bunch of unloaded pics on my iPhone. The pictures for this trip have been such a HUGE challenge. The girls have been reading along and then texted me several pics. Towards the end of last week I was feeling very "over" sorting, moving, and uploading pics. So, I'm giving myself a little break then I'm going to get myself together to bring this thing to it's conclusion the way I should. In the meantime, thanks muchly for your patience and I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed our antics. I still don't believe Jerry & Tracey that my being too honest will chase readers off. I still think my honesty is my way and being us is what's right.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Im planning on hitting Wolfgang as well and mac n cheese was probably my choice. So glad to see the pic and review. Also staying at POP so the pics are great. I'll read on now.

Wolfgang Express was really great at very reasonable prices. I will not complain. We *may* or *may not* eat there again before this trip is over. ;)

I keep saying I'm going to take time to wander Pop and capture pics of the boys in the same places I have pics of them around the resort from our first trip in 2004. STILL hasn't happened. For shame. Maybe I need to plan a trip just to POP with the sole purpose of getting the pics I want. LOL!

I am chanting ... I WILL sail on the Fantasy!!!!! LOL

Girl, I'm chanting ... I WILL sail on the Fantasy!!! There's so much I feel like we didn't do or didn't experience. I need to right that wrong!!!!

Awww I'm sorry Tracey and Chandler got sick :( Speaking of Tracey and Chandler, I always have to look at pictures of them a few extra seconds because they look so much alike!

And next time, go with flats silly lady! Your poor toesies look so sore!

Love the rest of the report so far. I need to beef up my note-taking skills! Your reports are so detailed!

They DO look alot alike! Family always associate Brian more with looking like Tracey because when Tracey was a kid he was super-thin like Brian is now. The build similarities overpower sometimes. Chandler has been an ever-changing child. At times he closely resembled me in pictures from the same age but then there's times when he looks like Tracey at the same age. I forget who told me when debating in the past, Chandler is like a perfect blend of us both. It's really cool.

You would prob'ly laugh at what my notes actually look like. Totally scrawled and none-too-specific. Random words sometimes. They look more outline-y than written composition. I write out stories that are memorable sometimes. It's hard to make time to keep up. I won't touch my notebook for a while then try to catch up. This generally involves a lot of me asking Tracey and the kids, "Hey, about what time did we go to ____?" "Do you remember if we did _____ before _____?" "What time did you get in last night?" My family is just as much to credit for the details. My brain is very scattery. They help me a LOT. Then, yeah, sometimes I just fudge the order of things because nobody remembers and nobody reading will know the difference anyway. LOL!

Oh man, I'm so sorry your last day was as lousy as it was. I know you had mentioned that previously, but I don't think I realized just how utterly poopy that day was. :( So glad you are going back in September...you deserve that trip!

The Castaway Cay day was more bitter than sweet this time, that's for sure. I'm glad I get a do-over in September, too. I need to go back and cover my missed ground!

So glad i found this forum. Amazing trippy report you have had me enthralled - I have spent the last few weeks catching up on your vacations and wonderful cruisecations that you have convinced me that our planned trip in April 2015 will now include a cruise. If only we could have fit it into our plans for May 2014 only 305 days to go :) Sorry you were so poorly on this trip.

Thanks, Shazza! I'm glad you found us, too. I love to write and love to share our fun with others. The cruises are so much more than I ever thought they'd be. I hope I inspire at least 1 other person to give it a shot. I feel like we caught the cruise bug at the right time for us. We needed something to accommodate our evolving travel needs/wishes.

Eh, I've done WDW sick twice before this trip so it's always a possibility. I like to think we have to pay our dues and have the extra challenge thrown in for contrast. It's no fun to be sick but overcoming the adversity and having a great trip in spite of it makes the good parts of the trip feel that much more incredible. Gotta embrace each trip, sick or not sick, mishaps or no mishaps. Right???

Another drug you may wish to consider packing in case Montezuma`s revenge, it is Lomotil. It slows the gi tract. I had need for this in Mexico City and it was a lifesaver.

Thanks for the tip. We generally subscribe to the thought that if you get some sorta nastiness in your belly it's better to get it out than keep it in. But, it's good to have something in case you need it. ;)

OMG! So reminds me of Chandler when he was 5 and had a really awful stomach flu. Poor kid was puking like crazy and not keeping anything down for a few days. We took him to his pediatrician and she prescribed phenergan suppositories. The next stop was the pharmacy to fill the prescription. As we were leaving the pharmacy Chandler asked Tracey, "Daddy, what's a suppository?" Tracey was honest in a gentle way, explained what it was and how it was "dosed". He explained why it's dosed that way so Chandler would understand and not think it's just some terrible torture. When Tracey finished this whole explanation Chandler looked at Tracey and said, "Daddy, I promise I won't throw up again. Please don't give me that." We had a good laugh. Of course we gave it just a liiiiittle more time before we actually went through with something that would (obviously) be an upsetting thing to a little kiddo. Guess what? Chandler didn't throw up anymore. To this day whenever someone get's sick there's always mention of how to cure that.....just get some phenergan suppositories. You won't have to actually take them. LOL!

Sorry to hear about Tracey and Chandler. That just stinks. Great trip report - I read you post about returning to the parks. I think if you do make it out to Disneyland you will love it.

I'm sure it did stink but I wasn't trying to find out just how much. LOL! I'm sooooo itching to hit up Disneyland. We're booked for a 15-night Panama Canal for May 2014 but I want to go to Disneyland really bad. I'm tempted to swap that canal passage for a DL/California trip. I have a feeling waiting for the Panama Canal expansion to complete in 2015 or 16 will be a good thing. Then again, as I'm sure you also feel, with the kids getting older it makes planning harder and it feels time is growing ever-shorter. Do you feel that, like the time left to do the things you always wanted to with your kids is slipping away faster than you're willing to accept???

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Kelly!!! A new TR!! Ok, just getting started here and I am only on page 4, but LOVING it as usual. Was going to try to wait until I finished the entire thing to comment....but just can't restrain myself and you know how verbose I get commenting on your excellent TR's.

Love the coverage of the drive to FL...I am totally with you on the concept that the trip down is when it all begins and is some of the best time. Ryan and I talk non-stop during our 12 hour drive...maybe because the boys are plugged into their tech gear and not constantly saying "mom, can you..." "mom, where is my..." "mom, what is there to eat?"....you get the gist. I was so sentimental when I saw the office tower!

Typhoon Lagoon..we totally loved it too and I could (and probably did) stay on the Lazy River float all. Day. Long. Nothing better than floating through such beautiful scenery with flowers dropping in my hair! Paradise! I am with your niece though...I totally chickened out of the Shark Reef...not sure why since I love snorkeling, but maybe because I felt pressure to hurry up. So sorry about your lost sunglasses :( Ryan used to sell Oakleys so I used to be so nonchalant about losing them...no biggie, more where they came from. Now, not so much!

Loved the video from the parking lot fiasco! That is such an honest reaction...I totally would have been saying that to my boys too. I am with ya on the attitude of the parking lot workers...find another job if your job makes you so unhappy!

That Tracey is such a keeper!! Flowers and a fruit and cheese tray...you have trained him well. ;) Kudos to the boys from learning from the master and sending flowers too. I love to hear about their antics..it gives me faith that the entire world of teenagers has not been turned into earplug wearing, texting, monosyllabic, idiots! You're a first class mom and it shows in your awesome boys!

Looking at your cruise videos makes me realize that our families would have a heck of a southern good time on a cruise together! My husband and Tracey were separated at birth and our boys are mirror images, personality wise! Anyhoo....we need to plan up a trip where we can meet!

Getting sick on the ship....BOO!! You did a fabulous job pushing through it and managing to have fun despite your circumstances. Of course you would though..you are such a class act and would not want to cause anyone else a minute of worry or inconvenience.

Love the cherry stem video too! As Ryan would say...Boo yah! I have a friend who can do that and it always amazes me. I have a few party tricks too...come on vacay with me and I will show you ;)

Alright...enough commentating...back to reading...

Hey girl! I was hoping you'd make it on this trip!

Isn't it sad the little moments a mom savors...like driving in the car...just because they're actually quiet moments when you don't have to be answering questions or ref'ing another squable???

You're so right about the Shark Reef! I will lay you money that added to Sarah's hesitation. There is pressure to move along that I'm sure hinders the ability to wrap your brain around each step of the process of the experience. Sometimes that's not a good thing...but then sometimes you can't give yourself too much time to overthink things. Just go. Just do it. Even if it's awful, that's a short swim. Believe me, last time when we were trying to escape the ice water I'm pretty sure we were kickin' up some rooster-tails zipping across the lagoon. LOL!

The sunglasses. Yeah, I was so sad. I justify spending $300+ on my Mauis because I take good care of them and make them last. Even at the end of the years and mileage I get out of them my thought is that they still have monetary value and I can resell them. Well, none of that rings true if I break the dadgummin' things. :mad: I'm forever fussing at Tracey for not wearing a sunglasses leash when he's out on his boat. You know how fast a pair can rip from your face at 70 mph. At least with a leash you have half a chance at keeping them. Jerry had a rogue wave nearly take him off the deck of the offshore boat he fishes on all the time. He lost a pair of flip-flops I believe but caught the $400+ sunglasses he had on as they were flying off his face. Good grief!

The parking lot video. I love that video. It's so me in PG-form. I don't lose my temper too much anymore but when I do it's prob'ly a helluva show. I had a full melt-down a few weeks ago and I'm afraid people at home within a 3 block radius were privy to that one. Yikes!

Tracey is definitely an awesome human being. He's my favorite, obviously. I always admired his generous spirit and the ultimate caretaker in him. His happiest moments are when he gets to do things for other people. If he sees someone in need, he won't pass them by. It's not in him to do nothing when when he can do something. He's a kind, kind man. I have always mareveled at his ability to love so deeply and give of himself so generously. I think my boys have gotten that, too. I'm glad. I always wanted them to be like that.

I think our families would have a helluva epic time if we could find ourselves in the same place at the same time! Oh yeah, girl. Southern thru-n-thru only you're better at it than me because you have it in you to exist in a small community. I couldn't do it. I ended up bitter, cynical, and unhappy. You've still got the best of you in spite of it. That says something!

I felt soooo bad that I ended up sick on this trip. I think it was the 2nd day Jerry mentioned that Sydney pointed out how I was sick on their first WDW trip, too. Waaaaaaaahhh!!!! That made me cry! I feel soooo bad! Ugh! Okay, but now the sick first trips are out of the way so everything else can be awesome from now on!

I sorta omitted my oober-tackiness when we did that video of Tracey with the cherry stem. :oops: We take such joy in torturing our sons with thoughts of mom & dad doing "adult" things....you know...gets the kids to go, "OMGaaaaawd!!!!!" and they cover their ears and do the face palms and blush and all that. Like, yeah, we've only done it twice, right?! So Tracey does the cherry stem trick, I looked over at the girls, smiled, and said, "Okay girls. Take notes. A man with tongue trips is husband material. Can't go wrong." I think I threw 'em. There was definitely a pause to consider what I said then, "Not sure I wanted to hear that." LOL! They took it better than the boys anyway. LOL!

Okay, I'll shut up now. You have met your talky-talk match!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My goodness, toss those shoes if that's what they do to your poor feet! Ouch! I love my high heels, and am firmly in the camp of "vanity feels no pain" (well, maybe "vanity numbs the pain a bit", or "vanity toughs it out"), but I have gotten rid of painful shoes.

Those are some scary clouds hanging over CC. Can't blame you for staying on the ship. Especially for those French fries---they looked good!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
First of all I have to get excited about Mellow Mushroom! I'm a brit on a huge trip to the US, in SC right now, and I was at the one in Charleston just about a week ago. Probably one of my favorite places we have eaten since I got here. If I could ship their funky q chicken pizza to England I would!

Your TR is really making me want to try a cruise! Sadly, our funds do not reflect my ambition, lol! Maybe one day....

Also, I really love how honest your TR is. You don't sugarcoat the parts that weren't so awesome, and it really makes it so much more human. I'm currently in the process of writing my TR, and there are certain parts I was unsure about including, because there was certainly a clash of vacation styles between my fiancé and I! But reading this, I have decided to include them. No-one's vacation is truly perfect, right?

Isn't Mellow Mushroom the best?! I love it. I do. I've not had anything bad there yet.

Don't rule out the cruises forever! Disney sails to Europe! And, depending when you travel to the US, some sailings can be pretty affordable. If you have to travel during the pricier busy times of year your best bet is to learn the usual patterns when DCL releases the new itineraries and jump to book as soon as they do. Prices on the cruises typically start low then increase as bookings increase and availability decreases. Never hurts to contact a Disney-specific travel agent, let them know what your budget would be, then see what they can find for you. Worst thing they could say is, "Sorry, there's nothing for that price." Plus, if you book a few years in advance it gives you longer to pay the balance down, right?

No trip is perfect. If it is, you prob'ly weren't there. LOL! I used to read trip reports that were so amazing then think there's something wrong with us if we had fusses or melt downs. It happens. It's real. It's not that bad stuff that happens that defines the trip, it's what you do in spite of them that does!

Ugh I am so sorry to hear you guys were all sick how horrible. I always fear that we will right before vacation. I am just sad to hear you guys were.

On another note, I think I got way to excited to see that Gonnies T-shirt!!!! And I may or may not have yelled out 'Hey you guys!' Just a little too loudly.
OK enough Gonnie love because yes I could go on and on about this.

I love the sun set photos! Gorgeous but your pictures are always gorgeous so.

I give Jerry and the girls credit for sticking it out and snorkel on through. I am pretty sure we would have given up and stayed on ship. But kudos to them for being tough.

Eh, sick happens. It's okay.

The Goonies freakin' rock! I could go on and on all day. I LOVE that movie!!!!

Oh I don't do gorgeous pics. I suck at pictures. I'm just trying to capture the moments. But thank you. It's hard to mess up the sunset. It's awesome no matter how un-talented the photographer is. LOL!

Jerry talked a little about their snorkel on Castaway Cay the other day on the phone. He said getting back in was brutal. He said the wind had picked up and he was really worried they wouldn't make it. He said when they got back in they were truly spent. Jerry is one tough guy. He always has been. When he was a kid he was mostly smaller than all the guys his age. That made him really crazy tough. He had to be. I still have to remind myself he was as sick as me if not sicker thru the whole trip. He was. He's just tougher at muscling thru it than me. Even on the trip, I'd forget. I'd remember when I'd look at him and catch him close his eyes or rub his hand over his head. I picked up the expressions when he'd let it show but most of the time he didn't.

Your choice of excursions are exactly the type of activity we would choose, too. No surprise in that our boys are about the same age ... we just have one extra. We would love the stingray outing, the xrails, and the wild animals (particularly the birds). The snake looked like a large ball python; they're really tame. Rough ride, mud, and all, I'm sure my boys and I would thoroughly enjoy the xrails.

The last time we went as a family to WDW, we had one free day at the end that I had purposely left open. We hadn't gotten rained out of anything the days before, so by the end of the week it was still open. I asked everyone what they wanted to redo of the parks and waterparks, and all five of us had Typhoon Lagoon as #1 or #2, which is where we went.

Yep. We had a few chances to be in the same place at the same time and make a chance to discuss the types of things we wanted to do together over the past year. I had a general idea what to plan. There was lots of reading and studying by both Jerry and me. We compared a lot of notes, spent a lot of time on the phone together. Each thing planned was a group decision. Everything ended up being great. But then there's still a ton of stuff that we could fill more trips with and have equally grand times. I think also when you travel as a big family you have to have everyone on the same page that even if a particular experience isn't YOUR cup of tea, seeing the others who are enthralled have their cup of tea makes the moment for you. After reading your Eastern report, I can toooootally see you and your boys rocking those xrails! They were a lot of fun!

Typhoon Lagoon is incredible. I STILL have yet to see that whole park! It's not that big either! I get caught up in the relaxation and it throws me into this state of mind where the bunch of stuff I wanted to see goes right out the window. LOL!

This TR came at just the right time! As you know from Instagram, I've been in bed all weekend with the stomach bug and your TR was the perfect distraction! I agree with everyone else--you are an excellent storyteller and a fantastic mom! Love following along with your family adventures. I too love me some starbucks--worked there as a barista in college!! (two other coffee shops as well) So excited for the girls cruise and to get to meet you!

Oh I know! Poor you! I hate being sick!

Thanks for the kind words! I know it seems repetitive but it really does mean a lot. Thank you.

I've always said I wanted to try my hand at being a barista. I dunno, I prob'ly would hate it but then I think it'd be so interesting to learn so much about coffee. I fully love coffee. Truly. My mom's family are all big-time coffee-drinkers. Many of them drink it all day every day. I love to play with my coffee. Gosh, I remember being a toddler with a baby bottle with "coffee". Of course it was very little coffee, mostly sweetened milk. LOL!

Another great trip report Kelly, my gosh, I just love your honesty :) I was dying laughing watching the video from when you were at the parking garage.....that would have been me, lol !! So sorry that you got sick, I always worry about that before trips so I tend to load up on vitamins however even that can't help you when something nasty is brewing in your system. On the plus side though you get to do a re-do cruise which is awesome !!

Okay, I love that picture of Chandler sitting on the boat in Grand Cayman - he was having no part in those stingrays......aaaaand that would be my husband. On our 2nd cruise we booked a snorkel/stingray excursion in Grand Turk (Turks & Caicos) and in true Trevor form he agreed to do the excursion (as I really wanted to do it) and then when we get on the boat after snorkeling he was like "yeah, I am soooo not swimming with any stingrays.....hello, look at what happened to Steve Irwin". Yep 6"2" - 220 pounds and he was friggin' scared of a little ol' stingray. I think I have similar pictures of Trevor sitting on our boat as well.

If you looking for a different excursion to do while in Grand Cayman there is a really great one where you do a little water tour on jet skis and then you go snorkeling as well. We had it booked a few years ago but the weather was terrible so they cancelled it. We have wanted to try it out again because we have had others who did it and raved about it. But our last 2 visits we were accompanied by a tiny person so we had to pass. I can send you the info, they are super nice, and the wife of the owner is Canadian which makes them even more awesome :D

We have done the Western Caribbean a few times and we have done lots of great excursions so if you want something different to try give me a shout and I will send you some info.

Can't wait to read more.....

Angie! I'm so glad you enjoyed my report. It's so fun to write it all out and see it all put to words. That video will go down in family history as a big-one that's for sure. I'm always nervous about being sick on a trip, too. I take my vitamins religiously. I try to boost everyone the best I can before we go. Everything you try to do to keep it from happening and then it does. I guess it has to happen sometime. No regrets. The lows make the highs that much better-defined.

Chandler wanted none of the stingrays. We've even asked him if we went back would he give it a shot. Nope. I think I might could talk him down on his fear enough to at least come stand amounst them but when the kissing, holding, and feeding goes down I don't think he'd ever do that. Chandler is very reserved when it comes to things new to him. Given the chance to think about it, he'll think too much and justify not doing it. He needs someone to help urge him beyond. Maybe a 2nd trip he'd be less intimidated because he's seen it already. We all lived! I didn't think I'd get him into the water this trip, though. I was surprised Brian was so receptive to the stingrays! I thought he'd be the one I had to talk into the water. When he was little was a huuuuuuge Steve Irwin fan. Seriously. HUGE. On the way home from his last day of Kindergarten I made the mistake of asking the kids if they could go anywhere for a summer vacation where would they go thinking they'd want to go to Nana's house. Brian didn't hestitate: "Australia!" Whaaaaaa???? o_O He wanted to go see Steve. He had Croc Hunter trucks and figures. He wore clothes to look like Steve. He'd wrestle his pillows and plush toys just like Steve wrestled critters on tv. We still have some of the toys, too! We even had to sit thru the movie in the theater! When Steve passed I know I spent days holding my boy as he cried and cried about it. He was crushed. Somewhere around here I still have the letter he wrote to Teri Irwin when Steve passed. It's so sweet. Brian looooves animals, though, so very much. The week before the cruise I finally asked him if he had any issues with being in the water with rays that still had their barbs. He said he thought about it and was a little unsure but didn't want to not go because of how he felt about Steve. We talked about how what happened to Steve was an accident and the stingray wasn't some mean animal out to get someone. We talked about what Steve would think or what he'd say or want if he was still alive. He wouldn't have blamed the animal. He would've wanted it to be a learning experience. And if Steve was here today he'd encourage people to interact with animals if you can do so without harming them and learn. So that's what we did. Brian was brave. I was proud of him. He still loves Steve a lot. That was his hero.

I've actually been considering the waverunner tour! Definitely shoot me that info about who you previously booked with! We're still somewhat undecided on what to do with our GC day.

I think Cozumel I've got solid ideas about. Should be cool!

We're up in the air about getting off at Costa Maya. If the weather is bad and I'm not bringing anything to Carolyn then I prob'ly won't. If we get pretty weather and/or if Carolyn needs anything brought over to her from the states I'll get off to go meet up with her. ;) If only we had a full day in port. I'd prob'ly find my way to Laguna Bacalar!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
My goodness, toss those shoes if that's what they do to your poor feet! Ouch! I love my high heels, and am firmly in the camp of "vanity feels no pain" (well, maybe "vanity numbs the pain a bit", or "vanity toughs it out"), but I have gotten rid of painful shoes.

Those are some scary clouds hanging over CC. Can't blame you for staying on the ship. Especially for those French fries---they looked good!

That's the thing! Those shoes are fine any other time at home. It's when I'm on a cruise with the swollen feet that they kill me. I've read in other places where it's kinda common for people to swell during cruises. Not sure why. Maybe it's the influx of rich food people don't normally eat. For me, I think it's the drinking that I don't normally do. Maybe I should try taking diuretics when I cruise. I dunno. LOL!

The weather was just plain nasty on the CC day. There's no other way to put it. Total bust. But, hey, it happens. There's always next time.... :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Note to self: leave strappy shoes at home when packing for Girls Cruise. :D

Oh, and totally forgot to mention Tracey & Chandler getting sick. Total bummer. At that point, you must all have been wondering what ELSE could go wrong on this vacation!! No wonder you want a Fantasy do-over!

Totally off topic, I just glanced out my window and there is a DAK Tree of Life-shaped cloud floating by. :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Proof! LOL!! :p
ToL Cloud.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom