Surprise Mission: Space Fast Passes

in my OPINION,(figure I better establish that:lol: ), Mission Space is a decent ride, not a great one. My beautiful wife and I can go down to Disney for a week and ride it once, and be done with it. I'll ride the maelstrom 2 or 3 times, but Mission Space, just once. It might have to do with us riding it right when it debuted, when it was not a easy ride to ride.

But I can see the argument of Disney spending all the money to build Mission Space, and not getting the knock-out e-ticket they wanted.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Anywho...

Body Wars and M:S have nearly identicle capacity. M:S moreso hides people within multiple pre-show areas, but the number of people riding, ride length, and number of vehicles is the same.

Body Wars, however, operated with a 1-2 hour wait for several years. *shrug*

DisneyWales

Space

Mission Space is my Favourite Ride in Epoct, i love it and personally I think it could be a little harder on me. I could never get bored of the sensations caused by this ride.

On the other hand I thing Soarin is boring after the first ride. Negative press and the "THIS RIDE SPINS ALOT" scares people before they even get past the ride que. Its a shame because this is a ride that in my eyes offers somthing that Disney Theme Parks are renowed for, something you cant do any where else in the world, immersive detail, and a complete sensory experiance. People who say the story is rubbish, or attack sections of this ride in my opinion, are covering up the fact that they are too scared to ride it.

If you get motion sick fine, but dong slander one of the most unique rides in WDW, just because your scared of "Small confined spaces and strong G-Forces".

Carolwood

joelleharbert said:
My family didn't even consider riding it after hearing all of the horror stories about riders losing their lunch (and breakfast and last night's dinner) on the ride. Personally I think people are getting scared off by the negative publicity. If you are prone to any type of motion sickness (which I am), I don't want to ruin an entire day with one ride.

Ditto

Sparkle81

Enderikari said:
Oh... By the way... Welcome to WDWMagic ChristyJ. Always glad to see another fan of Walt Disney World.. Browse around.. ask questions... make friends... But most of all, have a great time!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

How come nobody gave me a welcome like that? Sniffle :cry:

(Btw, this was to illustrate that I recognise sarcasm. Hell, us Brits virtually invented it :D )

bgraham34

I think its a real good thrill ride. Its better than test track. And the reason I say that is driving in the car with me is more thrilling than TT.

AndyMagic

I'm not defending anyone or trying to spread fuel on the fire but I thought I would mention that there most certainly IS a way for M:S to simulate weightlessness far better than it does. The capsules would just have to rotate around and face the other way while the centrifuge is spinning. This would cause you to be pushed out of the seat instead of into it. This is how most people, I included, assumed Disney would have achieved the effect. Instead, they tilt the seat forward which does nothing more than cause your butt to slide forward a tad. Mind you, if the ride DID do this, there would be even more complaints about motion sickness.

Shaman

AndyMagic said:
I'm not defending anyone or trying to spread fuel on the fire but I thought I would mention that there most certainly IS a way for M:S to simulate weightlessness far better than it does. The capsules would just have to rotate around and face the other way while the centrifuge is spinning. This would cause you to be pushed out of the seat instead of into it. This is how most people, I included, assumed Disney would have achieved the effect. Instead, they tilt the seat forward which does nothing more than cause your butt to slide forward a tad. Mind you, if the ride DID do this, there would be even more complaints about motion sickness.

And even shorter lines.

But really, are M:S riders getting sicker than the crowds that go on your above average Florida coaster? I think the media has played a role in exagerating the effects of M:S on the average rider, which in turn has caused people to stay away. I mean, don't get me wrong, like I've stated I like the fact that you really don't have to wait Test Track minutes to get on M:S, but I fear that Disney will eventually lower the intensity of the ride, and in turn ruin it.

But yeah, the "weightlessness simulation" could use some work. :)

wannab@dis

objr said:
And even shorter lines.

But really, are M:S riders getting sicker than the crowds that go on your above average Florida coaster? I think the media has played a role in exagerating the effects of M:S on the average rider, which in turn has caused people to stay away. I mean, don't get me wrong, like I've stated I like the fact that you really don't have to wait Test Track minutes to get on M:S, but I fear that Disney will eventually lower the intensity of the ride, and in turn ruin it.

I got a little antzy the first time I rode M:S. After 2 dozen warnings and repeatedly being told that I could exit, I got to wondering if it was a good idea. :lol: But, in the end, I didn't have any problem.

So, take the publicity of the effects, the continual discussions here, and then put all the warnings on top. It's not hard to see why some people don't get in line.

peter11435

AndyMagic said:
Before the ride opened that is how I thought it would be done as well. However my guess is that WDI did test that effect and it was either problematic or not as convincing as it may seem. To be honest after getting to ride M:S I doubt that method of giving the illusion of weightlessness would have worked at all. It would simply feel like your were being launched backwards. There is a huge difference between floating off your seat and being pushed into the over the shoulder restraint.

WDWFREAK53

peter11435 said:
Before the ride opened that is how I thought it would be done as well. However my guess is that WDI did test that effect and it was either problematic or not as convincing as it may seem. To be honest after getting to ride M:S I doubt that method of giving the illusion of weightlessness would have worked at all. It would simply feel like your were being launched backwards. There is a huge difference between floating off your seat and being pushed into the over the shoulder restraint.

Exactly...and wouldn't you have to be upside down? If the pod was to face away from the center...it would need to turn you and the only way the pod can rotate is up and over. To be honest...you do sense that you're "weightless" for a second...it's a well done job in my book.

MAF

objr said:
And even shorter lines.

See I disagree. I can go on any roller coaster and never once get sick, but after just one ride on M:S, I was feeling severely ill. I don't know what it was about that ride, but I will never do it again.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I agree, I think that some people have a negative reaction to the ride based on all the warnings and feedback they hear.... you know, mind over matter. I went in with an open mind, and the first time I rode it (soft opening in July 2003, I think) I only had some minor discomfort during the ride. The second time I rode it (last May), I felt very naseaous during the ride, and for about 15 minutes after. I could really sense the spinning the second time riding it, and that did it for me. I'll probably ride it again, but I will definitely need to prepare mentally and physically for it (no food for about an hour before, decently rested, hydrated, etc.).

AndyP

I personally think M:S is a brilliant ride and the sensation is brilliant for a theme park ride. If they had increased the effect more they would have alienated more guests from riding, plus I think the effect of being forced into your seat is more important than the feeling of weightlessness considering you are in a rocket. Considering the ride deals relatively well with BOTH effects I think they have done an excellent job. As for re-rideability, if there was no queue I wouldn't stop all day but thats just me. No one in my family felt sick at all, we followed all the instructions for the first ride, and we were all fine, and I looked all over the place and ignored the warnings and again I was fine. I can understand that some people just aren't made for this type of ride at all, but I think that people getting sick in the first place put all the warnings in, then the warnings scared people off, coupled with the negative press had caused people to think that it is super intense, when really they would be absolutely fine. It's a shame because its a unique attraction which is what we like and you just have to hope it doesn't scare Disney into taking 'risks' in the future.

Stitch_Kingdom

I found that the worst part of the ride is the very start where the rocket just leaves the launch tower. That, i would feel, could put a lot of people off and the over-warning of conditions and what the ride contains will obviously see people turning away scared of what will actually happen. I know when i first got into the pod i was very scared of the fact there was a sick bag in there and i thought "what on earth is going to happen?".

Once the ride got under way i treated it as a normal simulator and did not feel the spinning and moving as much as some people but as i left the ride i still felt that the launch sequence of the ride made me feel a bit off for an hour or so after the ride. I went onto ride 2 more times.

P.S. I would love to put a video camera inside the pod room and witness how this ride actually works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom