Stupid cast members at WDW!

johnvree

First, when I clicked on this post, I didn't think that it was an attack on all CMs. Then, when I read the post, it confirmed what I believed the topic would be: that 'some' CMs said/did something stupid.

(BTW DisneyJill, it's difficult to defend CM intelligence when you have Dumb and Dumber as your avitar :lol: )

Second, that's too bad about Lonnie Gen. Grizz. I hope that's not the entire story because based upon what you provided, it sure sounds like he would have fallen under the protection of the American with Disabilities Act and could probably still be working there.

I have been going to WDW since 1973 (I was only 4). But, I didn't become a Disney-nut until my trip in 1998. Between 1973 and 1998, I went only 5 times. Now I go every 1 to 2 years. I point this out as a kind of disclaimer for what I'm about to say (i.e., I may not know what I am talking about):

MAYBE WE ALL LOOK TO HARD.

On my last few trips, I have noticed some chipped paint and have run into some not-so-friendly CMs. But both were the exception and nowhere near the rule. I know this has been said on other posts, but with thousands of CMs, they are not all going to be perfect. Some people just want a job. I wish Disney could devise a system that would ensure that every employee was a Company fan and had the sole goal in life of spreading Disney Magic. But that's unreasonable. And, keep in mind, while the dates 1971, 1982, 1992 and 1998 may be important to us, they are not significant to everyone. How many people on these boards know the exact year that their employer went into business. I know I don't.

Anyway, I think it's OK to have high expectations. Disney sure charges us enough for the privilege of entering its World. But it cannot be perfect. There will always be chipped paint. There will always be rude CMs. And there will always be CMs who do not know the year that MK opened.

General Grizz

While it is interesting if we are looking too hard (I mean, if I see a bad Cast Member, I see a bad Cast Member). . .

But I don't think it's a matter of the Cast Members. If they fool around on job and don't follow the "Keys to the Kingdom," it's Casting's fault. I mean, take a look at what happened with Traditions - cut to about 4 from 16 hours.

So it's def. a reality. . . and if you can go to WDW and not experience Cast problems, that would be absolutely wonderful! However, that's not to say that we shouldn't be concerned; based on management's policies, I think it's time we should be on their heels.

johnvree

Originally posted by General Grizz
While it is interesting if we are looking too hard (I mean, if I see a bad Cast Member, I see a bad Cast Member). . .

But I don't think it's a matter of the Cast Members. If they fool around on job and don't follow the "Keys to the Kingdom," it's Casting's fault. I mean, take a look at what happened with Traditions - cut to about 4 from 16 hours.

So it's def. a reality. . . and if you can go to WDW and not experience Cast problems, that would be absolutely wonderful! However, that's not to say that we shouldn't be concerned; based on management's policies, I think it's time we should be on their heels.
I do not know what "Keys to the Kingdon" and "Traditions" are. If "Traditions" is a training program and it was cut to 25%, that's kind of hard to understand. Was a reason given for doing that?

The_CEO

Originally posted by WDWfan2209
On a recent trip we were buying a t-shirt at Epcot that had the number 71 on it. When my brother asked what does the 71 stand for, I said thats the year the MK opened. A cast member overheard and said no it isn't. It opened in the 80's!!! We decided we weren't going to buy the shirt from that store. We then were getting a drink at the outpost when I asked a castmember when the MK opened and he said the 30's!!! Finally we asked for a manger and asked what year the MK opened, he finally said 1971. Don't CMs go througha brief tutorial about the history of the parks??? Anyways, CMs really need to know their facts about where they're working!

That just shows you only the upper managment know stuff about the company, and that the CM's * for the most part *, dont know the companie's history..

I wont bash anymore. Tis sad.

General Grizz

Originally posted by johnvree
I do not know what "Keys to the Kingdon" and "Traditions" are. If "Traditions" is a training program and it was cut to 25%, that's kind of hard to understand. Was a reason given for doing that?

Traditions was a two-day, eight hour program for Cast Members. According to a CM on the boards, it only lasted 4 hours yesterday morning. Cutbacks.

"Disney" just doesn't care anymore. This is why the Save Disney campaign is so important.

And the keys to the kingdom are a focus on Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency. There is a tour named after it held at the Magic Kingdom.

And here's an example we all know: The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad accident that injured guests and killed a man. I mean, this is DISNEYLAND, Walt Disney's Happiest Place on Earth! The accident was caused by Cast Members who treated Disney like "any other job" (COUGHthe people we went to Traditions yesterdayCOUGH) and did not truly care for the attractions. The whole sense of "ownership" and "care" has been abandoned by constant layoffs and cheap rehiring, and so the Disneyland Cast Members were either disgruntled too much OR didn't care about the attraction, so they signed one of the trains off as doing a test. . . when in reality, they wanted to break early. In result, well, we get a National Issue.

I don't think we were looking hard at all for that one. :lookaroun

Lhriangel

Okay i t's not letting me quote Griz's post but I have a question for you since I have yet to see a official statement about Big Thunder...

Where are you getting your information? I only ask this because I know people at DL who work in that area and I have still yet to hear about an official statement, much less an unofficial one.

General Grizz

The information comes from a Disney techincal employee who works for attraction safety. Just to keep him/her safe, I don't want to go into the position, etc., but I can assure you that this information on the report (which did not become "widespread") is EXTREMELY reliable.

Furthermore, on the Orlando Sentinel the day before Thanksgiving, a small article came out that said basically what I just did. I no longer have the article, and it costs money online to purchase it. This is the preview it has:

State inspectors faulted a mechanic who didn't tighten bolts or attach a safety wire on a wheel assembly that fell off. They also blamed a manager who declared the ride safe without inspecting it, and chastised Disneyland's maintenance guidelines for allowing workers to sign for procedures done by others. They also said ride operators who heard a clanking sound at least 30 minutes before the ...

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlando...FAULTS+POOR+UPKEEP+FOR+FATAL+DISNEYLAND+CRASH

According to an Imagineer, the man who was killed was basically crushed. A decorative wheel was the part that caused the accident (gofigure), and thus for SAFETY, they have all be removed from BTMR at WDW.

The original source said that WDW's BTMR is perfectly safe. It's just up to casting.

General Grizz

Alright... this is from the Accident Investigation Report Narrative (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compres...derAccident/thundermountainaccidentreport.pdf).

I am not sure if this is what the Cast Member who told me the previous information read: http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compres...derAccident/thundermountainaccidentreport.pdf

The accident was caused by a mechanical failure, which occurred as the result of the omission during a maintenance procedure of two required actions: The left side upstop/guide wheel of the floating axis of the locomotive #2 was not tightened in accordance with Disneyland Resort specifications for the procedure, and a safety wire following tightening of the assembly was not installed.

. . .
Use of Green and Yellow tags on train #2 was not carried out properly as required by Disneyland Resort procedure, and on a number of occasions, the West Reliability Team had not performed the procedure properly on other rides to which the team was assigned.

rosie.ca

I must say the title of this thread isn't the nicest .
my opinion is that the reason for the original post was :
the person knew the reason for the 71 and it happened they were right but the cast member who was either confused or misunderstood or just didn't know their facts gave misinformation which mad the original poster of this topic look like they were stupid and giving out wrong info.
then to justify their position they find another cm and want to prove they were right and the first cm was wrong and that 2nd cm gives them even more off base info.

well if it was me I would unimpressed as well and then find someone who knew the truth and could settle the matter once and for all for my own sanity (ok ok what sanity...)

lol maymbe on my next trip i should ask random castmembers this question and see how many different answers I get lol

*personally I love everyone at wdw...must be something in the water that rids me of my evil cynical sarcasticness *

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
This thread has really inspired me. When I'm down @ WDW in March, I'm going to make it a point to get the names of CMs who make the magic happen for me. I'll get the names of people that go just a bit farther than everyone else and I'll make sure someone is notified via email, or directly to their manager or head.

Everyone deserves to know that they are greatly appreciated. Disney World is no exception. I will not point out the negatives in my trip if at all neccessary, but I will put forth the effort to make some CMs day just as magical as mine.

Thank You for the inspiration!

DisneyJill

Originally posted by johnvree
(BTW DisneyJill, it's difficult to defend CM intelligence when you have Dumb and Dumber as your avitar :lol: )

I wasn't aware that my intelligence as an employee of the Disney Company was based on my avatar. :rolleyes:

MouseMadness

Originally posted by One Lil Spark
This thread has really inspired me. When I'm down @ WDW in March, I'm going to make it a point to get the names of CMs who make the magic happen for me. I'll get the names of people that go just a bit farther than everyone else and I'll make sure someone is notified via email, or directly to their manager or head.

Everyone deserves to know that they are greatly appreciated. Disney World is no exception. I will not point out the negatives in my trip if at all neccessary, but I will put forth the effort to make some CMs day just as magical as mine.

Indeed. :)

EpcoTim

Originally posted by One Lil Spark

Good thinking. Im going the last week of February, and Ill be on my own, so ill be able to look for things like this. I get the feeling that some of the people who find this "ugliness" are just out looking for it, or helping to create it themselves. I dont nit pick every single little thing thats done, or know any CMs personally, so I think I can get a clear picture of it.

General Grizz

Have CMs autograph your book. Have your photo taken with them after a nice five minute conversation. Sometimes you can weed out a few good long term CMs who have so much information and theory about the parks! :)

Also - be sure to go to CITY HALL and ask for a compliment form for the Cast Members. These letters really help. So remember their locations/times/names!

If you encounter a notty CM, as in, you KNOW what they did was against Disney "policy," def. report them in the other way.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by General Grizz
Have CMs autograph your book. Have your photo taken with them after a nice five minute conversation. Sometimes you can weed out a few good long term CMs who have so much information and theory about the parks! :)

Also - be sure to go to CITY HALL and ask for a compliment form for the Cast Members. These letters really help. So remember their locations/times/names!

If you encounter a notty CM, as in, you KNOW what they did was against Disney "policy," def. report them in the other way.
This is a very good point General. I'll have to go to city hall. Is there anywhere I can go in EPCOT or the other parks to get this form, or do you think that one should be enough for a whole trip?

I want to make sure that everyone that touches me will be touched also. It'll be one big touching, loving, magical fest. :lol: :drevil:

figgyfan

I did have a cm at Epcot ask my daughters who the little purple dragon stuffed animal they were proudly carrying around was. You don't know who Figment is??? They replied incredulously.
I think that some cm's....not all .....need a Disney course before they go work in the public eye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom