Studios "hat" logo removed from bottom of DisneyParks page

Mansion Butler

I'm pretty positive the reason the hat is mandatory is because Disney never renewed the contract with the owners of the real Chinese Theater. I guess they wanted too much money for the renewal so instead, Disney left the giant hat in front of it, hence the hat is the Icon for the Studios.
You are not the first person to have heard this rumor, so I will try and be nice, but this myth does need to die: it is not true.

Buildings constructed prior to 1990, according to US copyright law, cannot be protected by copyright. The Chinese Theater is much, much older than that.

Source.

jt04

Some in the know have already indicated that high ups in Imagineering want the hat gone.

Since they have been slowly removing these type adds all over property, I'm guessing the trend continues.

JWG

If it weren't for the fact that a couple years (has it been that long already?!) ago Epcot's "Imagination" page suddenly resurfaced an ImageWorks page that included many of the original post ride attractions and games - for no real reason and by accident - I'd have hope.

I, however, firmly believe the internet folks and reality are far from connected or correlated.

lazyboy97o

Some in the know have already indicated that high ups in Imagineering want the hat gone.
Bob Weiss, show producer for the park when it was designed and built. and Eric Jacobson, show producer of the structure itself, both said so publicly.

Rob562

What's the skyscraper on the right supposed to be? Taipei 101?

As the farthest-right represents Tokyo Disneyland, I'd presume that it's some iconic tower in Tokyo. (Unfortunately I don't know Tokyo well enough to place it)

Also, it's odd that there's nothing representing DisneySea in that artwork.

-Rob

SeaCastle

What's the skyscraper on the right supposed to be? Taipei 101?

As the farthest-right represents Tokyo Disneyland, I'd presume that it's some iconic tower in Tokyo. (Unfortunately I don't know Tokyo well enough to place it)

Also, it's odd that there's nothing representing DisneySea in that artwork.

-Rob

DPNG_Footer_BG_Sunset.png

The graphic is laid out from west to east, with the Space Needle and Golden Gate Bridge representing the west coast (furthest left) for Disneyland, the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty (middle left) for the east coast (WDW). The Cruise Liner represents the Atlantic Ocean (and an island I'm assuming to be Bermuda). On the other side of the pond is the Eiffel Tower behind Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios Paris. Adjacent to that is the Great Wall of China with Hong Kong Disneyland in the foreground. The last building on the right is a pagoda and what appears to be Taipei 101 (or the Tokyo Tower that they botched) representing Tokyo Disneyland (and no DisneySea, as Rob562 mentioned). I can't find a building in the Tokyo skyline that looks like that building, which most resembles Taipei 101.

Taipei-101-exterior-01.jpg

Wilt Dasney

The last building on the right is a pagoda and what appears to be Taipei 101 (or the Tokyo Tower that they botched) representing Tokyo Disneyland (and no DisneySea, as Rob562 mentioned).
I believe the traditional Japanese structure there is actually called a torii.

llrain

That island with the upside down U near the cruise ships (and has 2 palm trees)
HAS to be Aulani not Bermuda. Thats the Symbol they are using for the resort.

DPNG_Footer_BG_Sunset.png

The graphic is laid out from west to east, with the Space Needle and Golden Gate Bridge representing the west coast (furthest left) for Disneyland, the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty (middle left) for the east coast (WDW). The Cruise Liner represents the Atlantic Ocean (and an island I'm assuming to be Bermuda).

castevens

For what it's worth, if the argument is questioning why Taipei 101 would "represent" Tokyo Disney as opposed to a Tokyo structure -- Tokyo is not much further from Taipei than New York City is from Orlando, and Taipei is VERY close to Hong Kong. Also, they could not use Tokyo Tower as it would have caused a lot of confusion with the lay crowd not realizing that it wasn't the Eiffel Tower.

juniorthomas

You are not the first person to have heard this rumor, so I will try and be nice, but this myth does need to die: it is not true.

Buildings constructed prior to 1990, according to US copyright law, cannot be protected by copyright. The Chinese Theater is much, much older than that.

Source.

Consider that myth: OWNED.

Bolna

Source.

Thanks for this. I was wondering about it wether this was true. Since even if it had been protected by copyright, it would have to be getting towards the end of its copyright protection by now...

Would it be possible that someone owns the Chinese Theater as a trademark though?

Kakashi21

Correct me if im wrong, but unless you guys are seeing things, I do see all four logos of the parks, with the castle on the left following the tree of life, then epcot ball and finally the hat, all in green and white. So yea, its still there. So far, there has been no word on the removal of the hat, seeing how they have been adding additions to the hat followed by a meet and greet location that is relavent to the hat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom