Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

P_Radden

Has anyone taken a bing map or google map and highlighted the entire areas that will be demolished/ re-worked into SWL?

I'm excited to see DHS (MGM Studios FOREVER TO ME) get its mojo back. This is the one WDW park that is most similar with Universal, (in that both are movie studios) so it's time they stepped up their attractions to rival Universal. Are rides like Tomb Raider and Jurassic Park considered E Ticket? Either way, IMO DHS could use more attractions like those to start..

Edit: Acronym error

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Has anyone taken a bing map or google map and highlighted the entire areas that will be demolished/ re-worked into SWW?

I'm excited to see DHS (MGM Studios FOREVER TO ME) get its mojo back. This is the one WDW park that is most similar with Universal, (in that both are movie studios) so it's time they stepped up their attractions to rival Universal. Are rides like Tomb Raider and Jurassic Park considered E Ticket? Either way, IMO DHS could use more attractions like those to start..

SWW = Star Wars Weekends, I don't think anything is being demolished for that. As for a Star Wars expansion we don't know what that will encompass.

Tinkrbell

Same reason as to why they all of a sudden closed all of the parade based entertainment at DHS with less than a month's notice only for all of the backstage parade infrastructure to still be there along with the floats just chilling backstage....almost two years later.
The floats were all (finally)removed from the parade barn about a month ago.

P_Radden

We first heard about SW coming to DHS when we were there in February. People were talking about it in line for HTH. Here is one article about it.

The rumor was it was going in the area the back lot tour is now. Take that for what you will, I have no idea where it will be or how big. But I was hoping someone on here had more info

Kman101

Star Wars makes no sense in the backlot area unless they do two different lands and that ain't happening. We're lucky to be getting one and that's still up in the air.

Backlot makes the most sense for Toy Story Land / Pixar

P_Radden

I agree, but it would make more sense if they closed and re-purpose the area Star Tours is now. Then it doesn't matter where they put SWL

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The rumor was it was going in the area the back lot tour is now. Take that for what you will, I have no idea where it will be or how big. But I was hoping someone on here had more info
The rumour was wrong.

Or never really a rumour. Nothing in that article says what area the SW expansion would be in.

P_Radden

The rumour was wrong.

Or never really a rumour. Nothing in that article says what area the SW expansion would be in.

You are right, it doesn't. But where else can they put it? If they were going to expand the park we would already know about it one way or another(permits, visible surviving, clearing land) based on something actually being ready to open in 2017ish. My guess is they will remove LMA the Backlot Tour, whatever they need to in order to use that real-estate for SWL.

dstrawn9889

there have been no sightline baloons aloft that i have seen, so nothing has been set into stone. highly unlikely that there will be a SWL by 2017-- more likely 2020

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You are right, it doesn't. But where else can they put it? If they were going to expand the park we would already know about it one way or another(permits, visible surviving, clearing land) based on something actually being ready to open in 2017ish. My guess is they will remove LMA the Backlot Tour, whatever they need to in order to use that real-estate for SWL.

Near Star Tours they have the old Sound Dangerous and American Idol buildings, Echo Lake, Backlot Express resturant and Indiana Jones Stunt show that all could be re-purposed into a Star Wars land. Even major construction within the park likely wouldn't be ready by 2017. Rumor is that Pixar content will go in the Backlot and maybe LMA area.

P_Radden

I stand corrected. Thank you, that sounds more logical. I must have not done my research. If this is the case then we are in for for one heck of an experience once all of it is completed.

Rob562

Near Star Tours they have the old Sound Dangerous and American Idol buildings, Echo Lake, Backlot Express resturant and Indiana Jones Stunt show that all could be re-purposed into a Star Wars land. Even major construction within the park likely wouldn't be ready by 2017. Rumor is that Pixar content will go in the Backlot and maybe LMA area.

There's also the much-more speculative/armchair Imagineering discussions that suggest they'll build parking garages for Guest parking and then expand around behind/through the Indy theater into the space currently occupied by parking.

Actually, if they just built a Cast garage between the BLT drive-through workshops and World Drive, and then repurposed some of the workshops to be new Cast support services, they'd have plenty of room if they simply took over the CM entry building/costuming and the CM parking section of the main lot (though they'd lose some flexibility in parking Guests in there on busy days)

Backlot Express, the two large backstage buildings (one is parade storage, the other the Cast entry building) and just half of that lot would be over 11 acres. Expanding out to the beginning of where they routinely start parking Guests puts it at 14 acres. And apart from demolishing Backlot Express that's all without touching anything in the Guest areas of the park...
(In comparison, I calculate the area available for the whole of the Avatar land to be a little over 13 acres)

-Rob

Last edited:

Ignohippo

Since WDW can't use Marvel, I would like to see a Super Hero Area with The Incredibles, Big Hero 6, GoG to name a few. Do something different than a copy of Toy Story Playground.

I said this exact same thing last week in a different thread (although I don't agree with you about the Toy Story Playland – that is a much-needed addition).

Brand it as "Disney Heroes" and have it include Incredibles, Guardians, Big Hero 6, Tron, SW Rebels, etc.

IMO, those characters should always have a presence in the parks. They just need an appropriate home.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom