Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
LandUse1.jpg

Both areas you have marked are marked as conservation areas (wetlands) The red areas are considered suitable for development.
Someone can correct me, but I'm 90% sure that the wetlands map is not set in stone. There would need to be a formal process and some wiggling of things, but I'm pretty sure they could reallocate what's to be preserved and what can be developed.

roj2323

Someone can correct me, but I'm 90% sure that the wetlands map is not set in stone. There would need to be a formal process and some wiggling of things, but I'm pretty sure they could reallocate what's to be preserved and what can be developed.

This is true. What they have done in the past is purchase land in other areas (sometimes miles away from the main property) to make use of areas on property. It's a bit of a paperwork mess but it is possible in theory.

toolsnspools

This is true. What they have done in the past is purchase land in other areas (sometimes miles away from the main property) to make use of areas on property. It's a bit of a paperwork mess but it is possible in theory.
They just recently completed a deal to relocate a large amount of wetland. I think it amounted to a pool of land that they could draw from so they didn't need to go through the rules/regulations paperwork nightmare again for a while.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yet in Cali they have said muppets maybe gone for good since its been temp reskinned for frozen and has been playing other things more than the muppets over the last few years.

I don't believe it was as popular over there as it was over in Florida. Am I not correct on this? I could be wrong.

Kman101

I've always heard that too, the Muppets just weren't that popular in DCA. They've sort of always had a presence at DHS though so I think that makes them more a 'part of the park'. I don't see them doing away with that presence but considering rumors had them looking at that area in the past, nothing's ever really safe I guess.

doctornick

1. it's cast that's getting shuttled from/to epcot's wonder parking lot but I agree it's not a long term option.

I think the easiest plan would be to build new cast parking on the opposite side of World Drive (it's not wetlands and can be built on if you look at the map in an earlier post). Then put overpasses over World Drive to get into the park for cast (that would go right into backstage for DHS so it's not an issue of affecting show). While that might not solve all the parking issues for DHS, it would at least free up the current case parking for use.

WondersOfLife

I've always heard that too, the Muppets just weren't that popular in DCA. They've sort of always had a presence at DHS though so I think that makes them more a 'part of the park'. I don't see them doing away with that presence but considering rumors had them looking at that area in the past, nothing's ever really safe I guess.
It also holds a strong chance of staying simply because it was Jim Henson's last Muppets film he actually worked on, I believe. :)

H2O_Mouse-Ears

I would love to see this show/attraction updated as it feels very very outdated.

Victor Kelly

View attachment 81580

It always seemed to me that they could move the entrance road (S. Studio Dr above) where I've place the orange line to move/expand the parking (the orange box) and then expand the park in the green area, not to mention the backlot area which is unused right now. I left half of the parking lot in place above so that the entrance to the park would be the same.

Hopefully they'll get to work on this, soon, because the park needs help. I used to get FP (not FP+) when I was there and would find myself just waiting around for those times to finally arrive. Yeah, there are shows but I've gone through those several times. Waiting around in a theme park for a FP time to arrive isn't a good sign. I don't experience that in AK, MK, or Epcot.

I really hope that the expansion dumps the Ave of the Americas area which just seems dumb to me. I'd be fine with it if they actually filmed things there but, as it is, it's just a dumb facade. It, to me, is like if Main St. in the MK were just a dumb facade and you couldn't go into any of the shops.

You pretty much nailed it with the green. They can also put in a three or four level garage in the remaining parking area. The orange would probably never be used, it is a barrier area to the neighboring AoA and POP. Yu
p, level Ave of the Americas and expand Pixar into that area as well.

roj2323

I think the easiest plan would be to build new cast parking on the opposite side of World Drive (it's not wetlands and can be built on if you look at the map in an earlier post). Then put overpasses over World Drive to get into the park for cast (that would go right into backstage for DHS so it's not an issue of affecting show). While that might not solve all the parking issues for DHS, it would at least free up the current case parking for use.
As a former DHS cast member i think your idea sucks. That said, it is a possible soultion that I wouldn't be suprised if disney conciderd. Realisticly there are lots of solutions to DHS's issues its really just a matter of money which we all know disney hates spending unless it apsolutly has to.

Brad Bishop

LandUse1.jpg

Both areas you have marked are marked as conservation areas (wetlands) The red areas are considered suitable for development.

Thanks for that.

That was a dumb place to put DHS, then. I remember hearing that they considered expanding across World Drive at one point. I suppose you could put parking over there and run trams or build a walkway across. It's not going to happen. It's just dumb that they locked it in like that.

JordanNite

So they closed this down a few months back - any news on what is replacing this?

Or is this the new thing - remove attraction, lessen them, but put park prices up. I see the logic in that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

True, but the lands aren't necessarily marked as conservation just because they chose to, they are usually lands that a lower lying and thus harder to build on. Yes, they could build there if they wanted to, but they will tend to work with the more suitable lands whenever possible.

They just recently completed a deal to relocate a large amount of wetland. I think it amounted to a pool of land that they could draw from so they didn't need to go through the rules/regulations paperwork nightmare again for a while.

There is a "deal" but not yet completed. Last August Disney filed a permit with the South Florida Water Management District to do this. A few week later the SFWMD requested more information from Disney, which as of today, they still have not provided.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't believe it was as popular over there as it was over in Florida. Am I not correct on this? I could be wrong.

It suffers from being in a subpar corner of the park and doesn't have quite the setting and street presence the DHS one has. And yes, being a theater 3D show, it is largely ignored by the frequent visitor crowd that heavily dominates DLR. ITTBAB suffers the same neglect and poor location/street presence.

My point was more just because the company is doing stuff with the muppets, don't assume that means the theme park stuff is going to get some huge boost. The attraction I'm sure has a bad rap given how poorly it does in DLR... and the bosses all know that park better than DHS.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The RCID map is the current land management plan - plans can be changed :) It's just more hurdles they have to manage if they really wanted to make it all work.

WondersOfLife

It suffers from being in a subpar corner of the park and doesn't have quite the setting and street presence the DHS one has. And yes, being a theater 3D show, it is largely ignored by the frequent visitor crowd that heavily dominates DLR. ITTBAB suffers the same neglect and poor location/street presence.

My point was more just because the company is doing stuff with the muppets, don't assume that means the theme park stuff is going to get some huge boost. The attraction I'm sure has a bad rap given how poorly it does in DLR... and the bosses all know that park better than DHS.
Awesomesauce

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom