Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Matt_Black

I said this exact same thing last week in a different thread. Brand it as "Disney Heroes" and have it include Incredibles, Guardians, Big Hero 6, Tron, SW Rebels, etc.

IMO, those characters should always have a presence in the parks. They just need an appropriate home.

Tarzan would work well in that area too.

Goofyernmost

Since WDW can't use Marvel, I would like to see a Super Hero Area with The Incredibles, Big Hero 6, GoG to name a few. Do something different than a copy of Toy Story Playground.
I know that as a species we tend to think that whatever our life is, is a duplicate indication of just what others either do or could do if they wanted too. Slightly off topic, but the term copy, clone, cheap way out, might apply to many things, however, if one does not have access to the original, then the "copy" is the original to them. The mere idea that we somehow think that we should deprive others of experiencing something because it exists someplace else, is indicative of just how self-involved we have become as a society. It's a good thing that Walt didn't think that way or we would not be having this discussion on a WDW board, would we?

CDavid

I know that as a species we tend to think that whatever our life is, is a duplicate indication of just what others either do or could do if they wanted too. Slightly off topic, but the term copy, clone, cheap way out, might apply to many things, however, if one does not have access to the original, then the "copy" is the original to them. The mere idea that we somehow think that we should deprive others of experiencing something because it exists someplace else, is indicative of just how self-involved we have become as a society. It's a good thing that Walt didn't think that way or we would not be having this discussion on a WDW board, would we?

So, instead of potentially developing immersive, epic-scale, innovative attractions you are rationalizing why Disney should just give us a Toy Story playground instead? Really?

How many (full-size) Statues of Liberty do you figure should be built around the world? How about one in every state so every American will have one - and then there will be nothing special about the original.

Oh, and I know of people who own the original Mona Lisa. Sure, its technically a copy, but because its the original to them and if a copy is just as good as the original... :facepalm:

While there is indeed an epidemic of people being too way too focused on self and their personal viewpoint, that's always been true. Society has struggled with the same issues we face today since biblical times, let alone when Walt Disney was alive; They're nothing new no matter how much people try to claim society is somehow "different" today. Certainly there are changes, but people were clearly "self-involved" both fifty and 2,000 years ago.

HauntedMansionFLA

I said this exact same thing last week in a different thread. Brand it as "Disney Heroes" and have it include Incredibles, Guardians, Big Hero 6, Tron, SW Rebels, etc.

IMO, those characters should always have a presence in the parks. They just need an appropriate home.
They could put in the Disney Villains Land where Lights, Motors and Action is located. You can have your SW land, Heroes and Villains land that would appeal to everyone. Plus you have the great movie rise, Tower of Terror, Rockin and the different musical acts.

Tom

Beta Return
There's also the much-more speculative/armchair Imagineering discussions that suggest they'll build parking garages for Guest parking and then expand around behind/through the Indy theater into the space currently occupied by parking.

Actually, if they just built a Cast garage between the BLT drive-through workshops and World Drive, and then repurposed some of the workshops to be new Cast support services, they'd have plenty of room if they simply took over the CM entry building/costuming and the CM parking section of the main lot (though they'd lose some flexibility in parking Guests in there on busy days)

Backlot Express, the two large backstage buildings (one is parade storage, the other the Cast entry building) and just half of that lot would be over 11 acres. Expanding out to the beginning of where they routinely start parking Guests puts it at 14 acres. And apart from demolishing Backlot Express that's all without touching anything in the Guest areas of the park...
(In comparison, I calculate the area available for the whole of the Avatar land to be a little over 13 acres)

-Rob

Additionally, the costume shop can be moved to ANYWHERE on property - ideally one of the Administrative areas, or near/in a Textile facility. Having the costume shop take up space in DHS serves no purpose now. There is no tram tour, and not a minute of television or movie production takes place there. They make costumes for every location on property, so why not centrally locate them? Especially if they can be located right next to a Textile Services building where they can walk the costumes over for their first dry cleaning.

A number of trailers and other offices behind the soundstages can be relocated as well, opening up that entire corridor, from LMA to Animation.

Goofyernmost

So, instead of potentially developing immersive, epic-scale, innovative attractions you are rationalizing why Disney should just give us a Toy Story playground instead? Really?

How many (full-size) Statues of Liberty do you figure should be built around the world? How about one in every state so every American will have one - and then there will be nothing special about the original.

Oh, and I know of people who own the original Mona Lisa. Sure, its technically a copy, but because its the original to them and if a copy is just as good as the original... :facepalm:

While there is indeed an epidemic of people being too way too focused on self and their personal viewpoint, that's always been true. Society has struggled with the same issues we face today since biblical times, let alone when Walt Disney was alive; They're nothing new no matter how much people try to claim society is somehow "different" today. Certainly there are changes, but people were clearly "self-involved" both fifty and 2,000 years ago.
I did not say that at all, but, if I've never seen it how do I know that Toy Story Playground isn't, as you put it, "Epic-scale". What guarantee, based on relatively recent performance, do we have that indicates if they put something else here it would be better or "Epic".

And now we can compare the Statue of Liberty and the Mona Lise with a Theme Park attraction? Really? There's a world of difference and you know it! I'm sorry if you don't want to believe things are different now then back then. Either you weren't around back then or you lived primarily in a small rural area most of that time. I am a couple of months away from hitting 67 years of time on this planet and even I can recognize the difference. Yes, every generation has had some degree of self-involvement since the beginning of time, but, until recently it has never truly been an, in your face, type of thing. There was a lot more enjoyment from sharing then there is now. But, even then that is not what this is all about. It is about a group that would just love to have everything new because they have the opportunity to see things in other places and really don't care if those that do not have that ability, get to share.

BTW, this isn't about the Toy Story Playground. I doubt that anyone would really care one way or the other if that was what they used or not.

Goofyernmost

Trust me. It isn't.
No doubt you are right, but, everything, anywhere is subject to individual likes and dislikes. They can be based on expectations, either reasonable or unreasonable, or just a personal wish list items. As adults, I wouldn't expect us to think that this is top of the line and amazingly high quality to us, but, kids are not burdened by our overwhelming sophistication. If it is fun for them, they will like it. Building it out of solid gold will not enhance it one bit in their eyes. Target audience is what is important with any offering. I don't know if the concept is good or bad and it really doesn't matter because it wouldn't be built for me anyway.

Last edited:

doctornick

I have always thought of an "Action" branded land (to tie in with the entertainment theme of the park) which could include an Indiana Jones ride, but a Hero land works for me too.

Unplugged

As adults, I wouldn't expect us to think that this is top of the line and amazingly high quality to us, but, kids are not burdened by our overwhelming sophistication. If it is fun for them, they will like it.

This point in your response to the thread is key. Using the same line of thought to both agree with and back your observation is this. I see adults dress in Star Wars costumes for Comicon events, charity events, and attend Disney's Star Wars Weekends in swarms. However, I can't say I see adults do the same dressed as Woody, Buzz, Jesse, or the like in such masses. The Toy Story brand clearly has great value among kids and it is kids who need a place at DHS to be kids and have silly fun with or without parents at their side. Why are adults ripping a potential Toy Story Playland as they are? It's as if these adults think the playland is targeting them. If it is built, it's intended to be, as Walt put it, "a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." While kids love Star Wars, the brand appeals more to a slightly older audience and is an opportunity for more thrilling attractions with greater detail to cater to the more observant eye.

If anyone who has commented on what a bad idea duplication or simplistic themeing for Toy Story is were correct, then it would be proven by the lack of interest in Toy Story Midway Mania. The fact is, it's so busy and appealing they are adding additional capacity, that is a fact. Thus adding a small land of additional Toy Story attractions will have great family appeal. Not likely for most of the well experienced Disney fans on this site, but those sharing their opinions on playland here are typically NOT who it is being built for. While my son is outgrowing the Toy Story theme now, he would still enjoy something fun & silly to do, such as TSP. He would now also really enjoy a more sophisticated Star Wars land. A broad range of attractions will make the park a success. Don't take my word for it, simply turn to the attendance records for the Magic Kingdom.

Ignohippo

Tarzan would work well in that area too.

According to multiple sources, Disney has not renewed the license for Tarzan and can not use him for promotion or merchandise.

IF Tarzan were to be used however, he would be a much better fit for Animal Kingdom which would be my other most-wanted addition – a "fantasyland" type of area at AK that would include inexpensive dark rides based on Jungle Book, The Lion King, Up and possibly one that intertwines the stories of the dog/cat movies (like 101 Dalmatians, Lady and The Tramp and The Aristocats).

HauntedMansionFLA

This point in your response to the thread is key. Using the same line of thought to both agree with and back your observation is this. I see adults dress in Star Wars costumes for Comicon events, charity events, and attend Disney's Star Wars Weekends in swarms. However, I can't say I see adults do the same dressed as Woody, Buzz, Jesse, or the like in such masses. The Toy Story brand clearly has great value among kids and it is kids who need a place at DHS to be kids and have silly fun with or without parents at their side. Why are adults ripping a potential Toy Story Playland as they are? It's as if these adults think the playland is targeting them. If it is built, it's intended to be, as Walt put it, "a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." While kids love Star Wars, the brand appeals more to a slightly older audience and is an opportunity for more thrilling attractions with greater detail to cater to the more observant eye.

If anyone who has commented on what a bad idea duplication or simplistic themeing for Toy Story is were correct, then it would be proven by the lack of interest in Toy Story Midway Mania. The fact is, it's so busy and appealing they are adding additional capacity, that is a fact. Thus adding a small land of additional Toy Story attractions will have great family appeal. Not likely for most of the well experienced Disney fans on this site, but those sharing their opinions on playland here are typically NOT who it is being built for. While my son is outgrowing the Toy Story theme now, he would still enjoy something fun & silly to do, such as TSP. He would now also really enjoy a more sophisticated Star Wars land. A broad range of attractions will make the park a success. Don't take my word for it, simply turn to the attendance records for the Magic Kingdom.
Yes, add at least four rides, well themed that appeals to small children and their parents / grandparents. There should be a place for everyone at DHS.

roj2323

According to multiple sources, Disney has not renewed the license for Tarzan and can not use him for promotion or merchandise.

IF Tarzan were to be used however, he would be a much better fit for Animal Kingdom which would be my other most-wanted addition – a "fantasyland" type of area at AK that would include inexpensive dark rides based on Jungle Book, The Lion King, Up and possibly one that intertwines the stories of the dog/cat movies (like 101 Dalmatians, Lady and The Tramp and The Aristocats).
Does this mean they will be obligated to rip out the Tarzan scene in GMR? Please say yes.

djkidkaz

Additionally, the costume shop can be moved to ANYWHERE on property - ideally one of the Administrative areas, or near/in a Textile facility. Having the costume shop take up space in DHS serves no purpose now. There is no tram tour, and not a minute of television or movie production takes place there. They make costumes for every location on property, so why not centrally locate them? Especially if they can be located right next to a Textile Services building where they can walk the costumes over for their first dry cleaning.

A number of trailers and other offices behind the soundstages can be relocated as well, opening up that entire corridor, from LMA to Animation.

Didn't they just build a huge, new laundry center at WDW? This would have been the perfect place to add a costuming department.

pumpkin7

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/577901095227420673

Saw this on Twitter today. Once again it looks like absolutely nothing has been done

It was obviously costing them more money to keep it going and maintaining it, than to just close it and leave it to rot. Seems a shame for Catastrophe Canyon just to sit there. They could have at least made a mini attraction out of that and the queue warehouses surely? I suppose it's the cost of the fuel for the trucks, the tanks, the explosions, the water (I know it's recycled but still). Anyway, didn't they haul the trucks away a few weeks ago?
Let's hope we don't have River Country 2.0 on our hands!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom