Strongly Considering a Trip to WDW: Please Help me plan or talk me out of it

Little Green Men

Obviously the indoor ones don’t matter so much but LwtL I’d imagine is better during the day. Is Test Track better day or night?
Actually LWTL is fun at night, but the ride usually closes at 7 so it’s rare to be able to ride after dark. I think TT is fun at night personally, it goes better with the dark ride aesthetic in the attraction. Since you have young kids they will probably enjoy journey into imagination, it’s not worth a long wait but it’s a cute side attraction.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Actually LWTL is fun at night, but the ride usually closes at 7 so it’s rare to be able to ride after dark. I think TT is fun at night personally, it goes better with the dark ride aesthetic in the attraction. Since you have young kids they will probably enjoy journey into imagination, it’s not worth a long wait but it’s a cute side attraction.

Good to know. Thank you.

Would you not say LwtL should be enjoyed during the day as a first timer? Seems like the sun shining through the atrium and all that it would be the way to go. I’d go twice if I could but it’s my only park with one day.

Figments Friend

Thanks for pointing this out! I’m going from 2/22 until 3/2. Do you think I will be spared from the chaos? That’s a week after Presidents’ Day and I’d imagine week or two until Spring Break really kicks in.

Might get lucky , as attendence will likely not be the normal volumes this season.

-

rreading

Good to know. Thank you.

Would you not say LwtL should be enjoyed during the day as a first timer? Seems like the sun shining through the atrium and all that it would be the way to go. I’d go twice if I could but it’s my only park with one day.
LwtL is not worth twice and I really prefer it with the light coming in overhead. Once you get hooked on WDW then the Behind the Seeds tour is cheap and worth doing but not on your first trip. I would say that your evening in Epcot is better served at the countries.

I like Everest during the day but re-riding it at dusk would be nice. I would very much consider a day and night Kilimanjaro Safari ride - the ride feels quite different at different times of the day.

TOT is better at night, obviously. Slinky doesn't matter.

7DMT is more fun at night but getting on it is a matter of luck. BTMRR is easier to get on at night. Astro Orbiter and Peoplemover much better at night (WDW's Tomorrowland is just better at night altogether). Jungle Cruise probably better in the evening.

Right now, HM is more important to do at night since you don't have time for your eyes to adjust to the dark in the stretching room. If you do it during the day, I'd still plan to hit it again in the evening if possible.

But I wouldn't stress about it. One thing about WDW - I definitely would go with the flow

cm1988

Your interest in having fun; your interest in visiting WDW read, to my eyes, like that is more important to you than any concerns about putting yourself at risk. Or putting the Cast Members (yeah, paid to be there) at risk. The risk is inside and outside the gates of WDW and its attractions. The risk is in travel; in dining; in staying overnight. The risk extends to anyone you might come in contact with over the week or two after those fun-filled days. You know that.

So maybe the coronavirus seems just like the flu to you; maybe you're in a low-risk group. At least 350,000 Americans have died. Maybe you haven't seen the hospitals filling beyond capacity with suffering people. So maybe you think the odds of your contributing to that are quite small. I urge, ask, beg you to weigh the magnitude of the risk against the slight odds. As you decide, weigh-in the potential impact on the public during a pandemic.

After the general public has had ample opportunity to receive vaccines, please do visit WDW and have a wonderful time. It will be there. Your selfless postponing of a fun trip will have been a community service. Thank you, if you chose to do that.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Your interest in having fun; your interest in visiting WDW read, to my eyes, like that is more important to you than any concerns about putting yourself at risk. Or putting the Cast Members (yeah, paid to be there) at risk. The risk is inside and outside the gates of WDW and its attractions. The risk is in travel; in dining; in staying overnight. The risk extends to anyone you might come in contact with over the week or two after those fun-filled days. You know that.

So maybe the coronavirus seems just like the flu to you; maybe you're in a low-risk group. At least 350,000 Americans have died. Maybe you haven't seen the hospitals filling beyond capacity with suffering people. So maybe you think the odds of your contributing to that are quite small. I urge, ask, beg you to weigh the magnitude of the risk against the slight odds. As you decide, weigh-in the potential impact on the public during a pandemic.

After the general public has had ample opportunity to receive vaccines, please do visit WDW and have a wonderful time. It will be there. Your selfless postponing of a fun trip will have been a community service. Thank you, if you chose to do that.

I’m so bored though. What about my mental health? I’m about to jump off a bridge.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I tried to read all 18 pages to this point, but my eyes glazed over a bit after page 5 and I scanned from then on, so I apologize if any of this has been stated before....

Park Hopper: Probably not something you'll use (we only have when we've had dinner reservations at another park than we've visited during the day), but if you decide you need it, you can add it at any time after you arrive (and apparently maybe find a friendly CM who takes pity on you and only adds it for your remaining days). Plus, with increasing your ticketed days, you won't feel as rushed to jump to a park for those one or two things you missed or would like to do again. I'd wait.

DVC Point rental:
You're understandably going back and forth about even going. If you rent points, you will not have the same luxury/flexibility in the event you decide to cancel or postpone your trip. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I would do a traditional hotel stay.

Strollers:
I've been to WDW with up to three younger kids and a stroller is a MUST, imo. My family has a saying regarding walking fatigue/ foot pain: "But do your feet hurt like Disney?" At some point (probably multiple points, tbh) that 5 y/o is gonna be tired of walking; YOU will be tired of walking. Having a stroller will give the kiddo a place to rest without holding up the entire operation while they give those dogs a break AND without you having to carry them...repeatedly....while dealing with an infant. The baby or toddler can catch a quick nap in it, freeing you from having to return to the hotel every afternoon during nap time. It also give you a great way to transport any souvenirs (last I heard the shops were not able to send purchases back to your hotel at this time), baby supplies (baby sling?), and SNACKS, even a small cooler. I cannot stress the importance of having some snacks available at all times for the kiddos. Mine were always freaking hungry and I didn't want to pay WDW rates or deal with lines when a fruit snack or juice box would suffice. I usually pack a small hardsided suitcase with park and hotel snacks that we use throughout our trip and then use that case to haul souvenirs back home. Bring a stroller (see next item) with storage in the bottom.

Car seat:
So this one is a bit trickier, but I would suggest taking your pumpkin seat so if you need to UBER/LYFT at least the infant can be secured with the seatbelt (you don't have to have the base). Should you decide to do this, make sure your stroller will accommodate the seat. Can go either way, depending on how much you think alternative transport will be utilized.

Shoes:
This is one tip I'd wish I'd had before our first trip with all three. FL often has sudden rain showers in the afternoon and the drainage through some of the walkways isn't always great at handling the volume. My god. 🤮 The SMELL from using a hair dryer on those kids' shoes in the evening so they'd have dry shoes the next day! Bring an extra pair of (broken in) shoes, especially for the kiddos.

Rain Gear:
The stroller canopy is a great thing for protecting the little one when it rains, but everyone else would benefit from a poncho. You can get an inexpensive multi-pack on Amazon for less than you'd pay for a single poncho of dubious quality at WDW (though they do have some nicer ones for more $$). Bring your own rain gear.

Realistically, WDW is going to be crowded to some degree whether you go this winter/spring or wait a few years, but right now, you KNOW there will be a limit to how crowded it will be and you won't have to deal with large school groups for whatever myriad of competitions might otherwise be happening.

Take the trip now, imo, especially if the offerings that have been cut aren't a loss to you. And again, if you decide the day before not to go, you will be out minimal expense.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I tried to read all 18 pages to this point, but my eyes glazed over a bit after page 5 and I scanned from then on, so I apologize if any of this has been stated before....

Park Hopper: Probably not something you'll use (we only have when we've had dinner reservations at another park than we've visited during the day), but if you decide you need it, you can add it at any time after you arrive (and apparently maybe find a friendly CM who takes pity on you and only adds it for your remaining days). Plus, with increasing your ticketed days, you won't feel as rushed to jump to a park for those one or two things you missed or would like to do again. I'd wait.

DVC Point rental:
You're understandably going back and forth about even going. If you rent points, you will not have the same luxury/flexibility in the event you decide to cancel or postpone your trip. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I would do a traditional hotel stay.

Strollers:
I've been to WDW with up to three younger kids and a stroller is a MUST, imo. My family has a saying regarding walking fatigue/ foot pain: "But do your feet hurt like Disney?" At some point (probably multiple points, tbh) that 5 y/o is gonna be tired of walking; YOU will be tired of walking. Having a stroller will give the kiddo a place to rest without holding up the entire operation while they give those dogs a break AND without you having to carry them...repeatedly....while dealing with an infant. The baby or toddler can catch a quick nap in it, freeing you from having to return to the hotel every afternoon during nap time. It also give you a great way to transport any souvenirs (last I heard the shops were not able to send purchases back to your hotel at this time), baby supplies (baby sling?), and SNACKS, even a small cooler. I cannot stress the importance of having some snacks available at all times for the kiddos. Mine were always freaking hungry and I didn't want to pay WDW rates or deal with lines when a fruit snack or juice box would suffice. I usually pack a small hardsided suitcase with park and hotel snacks that we use throughout our trip and then use that case to haul souvenirs back home. Bring a stroller (see next item) with storage in the bottom.

Car seat:
So this one is a bit trickier, but I would suggest taking your pumpkin seat so if you need to UBER/LYFT at least the infant can be secured with the seatbelt (you don't have to have the base). Should you decide to do this, make sure your stroller will accommodate the seat. Can go either way, depending on how much you think alternative transport will be utilized.

Shoes:
This is one tip I'd wish I'd had before our first trip with all three. FL often has sudden rain showers in the afternoon and the drainage through some of the walkways isn't always great at handling the volume. My god. 🤮 The SMELL from using a hair dryer on those kids' shoes in the evening so they'd have dry shoes the next day! Bring an extra pair of (broken in) shoes, especially for the kiddos.

Rain Gear:
The stroller canopy is a great thing for protecting the little one when it rains, but everyone else would benefit from a poncho. You can get an inexpensive multi-pack on Amazon for less than you'd pay for a single poncho of dubious quality at WDW (though they do have some nicer ones for more $$). Bring your own rain gear.

Realistically, WDW is going to be crowded to some degree whether you go this winter/spring or wait a few years, but right now, you KNOW there will be a limit to how crowded it will be and you won't have to deal with large school groups for whatever myriad of competitions might otherwise be happening.

Take the trip now, imo, especially if the offerings that have been cut aren't a loss to you. And again, if you decide the day before not to go, you will be out minimal expense.

Thank you for all the great tips! Especially on the strollers and ponchos. I was definitely bringing my daughters stroller with the car seat (not the base). I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for my son but it’s probably a good idea to bring a stroller for him too. We have an old light weight stroller I guess we could check in at the airport? My daughters stroller has an area where you can attach a piggy back board for my son to stand on but that may not cut it. My daughters stroller is new/ expensive so we wanted to bring it the gate onto the airplane if possible.

I’d love to go on this trip. I’m like 50/50 if it’ll actually happen though. Conflicts with bro in Laws work schedule especially now that some jobs are being cancelled or rescheduled now that SAG is putting pressure on agencies not to shoot in LA for the time being. Also, it appears my baby has started teething pretty early which might not be fun to deal with. Also, the unsolicited advice from family to wait and not go to WDW right now gets to you especially when you already have so many of your own things about the trip your concerned about. With that said, I’m still booked at the moment and I’m going to play it by ear. I do like that it appears wait times have gone down a bit.

Last edited:

Little Green Men

Thank you for all the great tips! Especially on the strollers and ponchos. I was definitely bringing my daughters stroller with the car seat (not the base). I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for my son but it’s probably a good idea to bring a stroller for him too. We have an old light weight stroller I guess we could check in at the airport? My daughters stroller has an area where you can attach a piggy back board for my son to stand on but that may not cut it. My daughters stroller is new/ expensive so we wanted to bring it the gate onto the airplane if possible.

I’d love to go on this trip. I’m like 50/50 if it’ll actually happen though. Conflicts with bro in Laws work schedule especially now that some jobs are being cancelled or rescheduled now that SAG is putting pressure on agencies not to shoot in LA for the time being. Also, it appears my baby has started teething pretty early which might not be fun to deal with. Also, the unsolicited advice from family to wait and not go to WDW right now gets to you especially when you already have so many of your own things about the trip your concerned about. With that said, I’m still booked at the moment and I’m going to play it by ear. I do like that it appears wait times have gone down a bit.
You can always go again when things are normal, but this will probably be one of the only times fast passes don’t require advanced reservations again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom