Strongly Considering a Trip to WDW: Please Help me plan or talk me out of it

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Went to Animal Kingdom today from open to close, between 10 and 11 hours counting going in a little early and getting out of the last ride a little late. As someone used to the Disneyland resort, it's sort of surprising how few attractions they have there. I guess in normal times there's more entertainment to take in, but it doesn't seem like a full day park to me. We ended up doing most things twice, and a few three times. I think we'd done most of the main stuff within the first three hours. A good day overall but it feels like half a California park for sure.

Epcot tomorrow.
We were in Epcot today and the longest wait time we had was 15 mins. I couldn't believe how fast the lines were. The longest we waited at a food booth was 10 mins.

BrianLo

Disneyland won’t refund non AP tickets no matter what or who you try to bribe, seduce, or threaten them with.

You can use the value of it though on a future ticket, right?

I have a cancelled WDW ticket booked when that park was still closed and even pre-pandemic it says; "After expiration date, the price paid for a wholly unused ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket with an equal or higher price."

Tamandua

Yeah. The wait times weren't too bad. I'm hoping we can get boarding passes for rise of the resistance on Tuesday. I talked to a guy at epcot who's tried several times and has been unable to get them. After hearing that, I was kind of bummed.

I do think the plastic barriers on rides is a little much. Trying to look through the wet plastic on the frozen ride really diminishes the experience.

Curious Constance

You can use the value of it though on a future ticket, right?

I have a cancelled WDW ticket booked when that park was still closed and even pre-pandemic it says; "After expiration date, the price paid for a wholly unused ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket with an equal or higher price."
Yup, you definitely can. And for the record, I have no desire to get a refund. I just know my brother has tried a couple times and they were not budging.

No Name

I would say no unless there was some kind of interesting surgery going on.

At Planet Watch, once you get off the train, there is a petting zoo and a building where they perform surgeries with some minor animal exhibits included.

I can see some people finding value out of Planet Watch, but since you have to take the train to get to it and get back, and what is there is fine but not earth-shattering. I think most people will find it not rewarding enough for the time they invested. Nothing to see from the train either, really.

I think it's definitely a bummer that Lion King and Nemo aren't going. I don't care for Nemo, but Lion King's great and both shows help fill out the day too.
They have an anamation academy thing there now which is much better.

Little Green Men

Must be new.

Why there? What was wrong with doing that at Hollywood Studios where it fit the theme?

Disney gotta Disney I guess.
The one at DHS closed in 2015 when it became a Launch Bay. RPW closed for a year and when it reopened they added this, it’s animal themed drawings so it fits... sorta.

Tamandua

We did Hollywood studios today. Last time I was there in 2010 they had a studio tram tour and the great movie ride. I was probably looking forward to this park the most, and it's the biggest letdown. It was very crowded, to the point where the covid measures seem ridiculous. They're very strict about masks and such but they're totally willing to cram enough people into the park to make sure you're constantly in physical contact with strangers.

We did most of the attractions. Runaway railway was pretty good. We got on rise of the resistance but I was pretty bummed by the way they've ruined the immersion and flow by putting people into plexiglass cubicles and having first order officers bark unintelligible jabber at you through masks and face shields. The plexiglass barriers on ride vehicles is terrible. We tried never to sit behind them but sometimes we had to.

Today I decided that I don't want a Disneyland pass again until the masks and distancing go away. You can tell that most people are miserable in the masks. It's so hot and humid and it's so uncomfortable. I'm glad we went and got a taste of it. The Disney itch is gone. We still have magic Kingdom tomorrow, but today really just sucked the fun of the trip. I dunno what it is about Hollywood studios... Even a lot of the cast members seemed miserable.

We went to try to get food at a quick service place and they told us all the reservations were gone. I just couldn't believe it. Quick service! We had to get "to go" and walk about half a mile to find a place to sit on a ledge to eat.

Tamandua

We wrapped up with magic Kingdom. One thing I will say in summary of our trip is that there was a huge variety in how the cast members acted. Early in our trip when making a purchase, we were asked if we had any discounts. I said "not unless you can give us a discount for having a Disneyland annual pass." The cast member was extremely accommodating and said yes. 30%! After that, we asked if we got a discount for every purchase. About half the time they said yes and half the time they said no. It seemed clear that it was completely at their discretion and whenever they said no, it was pretty clear that the cast members were just in a bad mood and didn't want to give us a break. It made us really appreciate the friendly cast members.

Anyways... We had fun but I wouldn't recommend going during this covid era. The masks are too uncomfortable in the heat and humidity, and a lot of the attractions are abbreviated (haunted mansion completely skips the queue and elevator sections). Wait for things to get back to normal before paying the high cost of the trip.

PiratesMansion

We wrapped up with magic Kingdom. One thing I will say in summary of our trip is that there was a huge variety in how the cast members acted. Early in our trip when making a purchase, we were asked if we had any discounts. I said "not unless you can give us a discount for having a Disneyland annual pass." The cast member was extremely accommodating and said yes. 30%! After that, we asked if we got a discount for every purchase. About half the time they said yes and half the time they said no. It seemed clear that it was completely at their discretion and whenever they said no, it was pretty clear that the cast members were just in a bad mood and didn't want to give us a break. It made us really appreciate the friendly cast members.

Anyways... We had fun but I wouldn't recommend going during this covid era. The masks are too uncomfortable in the heat and humidity, and a lot of the attractions are abbreviated (haunted mansion completely skips the queue and elevator sections). Wait for things to get back to normal before paying the high cost of the trip.
As much as it sucks that it was inconsistent, technically unless you have the Premier Passport you aren't entitled to the same discounts at WDW as a DLR passholder. That's not really on the CMs who were following the policies as they were written.

So really the ones who let you have the discounts were being extra nice, and unless there was some additional negative circumstances involved, the ones denying you the discount weren't just being mean for the sake of it either.

FoodRockz

DLR cast members have not given any discounts on the two trips I've had there for having a WDW AP. We've joked about it with the larger purchases and it was always a definitive "No."

Stevek

We are now strongly considering a trip the first week or so in December 2021. 50th anniversary will have started, Rat Ride and Harmonious should be running. Airfare for 4 for $1000. Only decision will be onsite or offsite, the latter will save us $500 but we lose the convenience of disney transportation. Of course, much will depend on where we are with the pandemic.

Tamandua

DLR cast members have not given any discounts on the two trips I've had there for having a WDW AP. We've joked about it with the larger purchases and it was always a definitive "No."
We didn't expect to get any discounts but once they offered it became disappointing when they said no. I talked with one cast member about it and she said it all depends on who you ask. She was happy to do it and made it clear that it was at their discretion. I think knowing that the people who said no could have said yes without it making any difference to them really made it seem personal when they did say no. We started to look for people who were in more pleasant moods when we would buy anything because we realized that the sour faced cast members were generally going to say no while the happier cast members generally said yes.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

We are now strongly considering a trip the first week or so in December 2021. 50th anniversary will have started, Rat Ride and Harmonious should be running. Airfare for 4 for $1000. Only decision will be onsite or offsite, the latter will save us $500 but we lose the convenience of disney transportation. Of course, much will depend on where we are with the pandemic.
I heard if you know any cast member, they can book your hotel for you and you get 40% off.

Stevek

I heard if you know any cast member, they can book your hotel for you and you get 40% off.
Unfortunately I don't know any current WDW CMs. Does this apply to DL CMs as well? Can they get WDW room discounts?

We aren't going the DVC rental route anymore, nothing available and seems to be a bit of a headache anyways.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Unfortunately I don't know any current WDW CMs. Does this apply to DL CMs as well? Can they get WDW room discounts?

We aren't going the DVC rental route anymore, nothing available and seems to be a bit of a headache anyways.
It’s any Disney cast member from what I was told.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom