Stroller for a 4 year old?

hedgewick

We're going to Disney World in September. My son will be 4 1/2. He's right around 40 lbs and 40 inches now and doesn't really fit well in our stroller anymore so we haven't used it in quite a while. I'm wondering if:

A) strollers that are for rent at the parks would accomidate a child this size?

b) If so, have any of you used one for a child of his age/size? Is it worth it?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to ride in it but later in the day may be really tired and crabby. I'm also worred about him staying with us. I HATE the idea of the "leashes" I see folks use for their kids (he's not a dog). I don't want to spend the money on one and then just use it to cart around our bags and things instead of our son.

What do you all recomend?

Dwarful

We used the strollers for our kids...at one point they became crucial...that is for parade viewing during busy season. Those park strollers keep the kids from getting crushed, stepped on or separated from you. Our kids didn't do the strollers so much at MK, AK or MGM but they did at Epcot quite a bit. We have always gone early in the morning & stayed all day (ok occasionally we have gone back for a swim, but not every day or every trip). Our girls stopped taking naps before their 2nd birthdays so it really depends on your kids. But for a 4 yr old on their 1st trip, I'd have some type of stroller handy and the rental ones in the parks are good.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

There is nothing wrong with a stroller. Having a stroller will allow your 4 year old more hours in the park before he gets tired. When he gets tired, head back to the resort for a break.

There is no reason to wait until your child can walk the parks to visit. There are plenty of entertaining attractions for 4 year olds, and strollers allow you to see more of them. Will you cover as much ground with a kid in a stroller as you would without the kid? No. Will you cover more ground with a 4 year old in a stroller than you would with the kid walking on his own? Yes. No question about it.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

I also agree with the strollers for a child epescially in disney...To say that you just won't get "your money worth" or "bang for your buck" is moronic with a child in a stroller...If anything you can cover alot more ground..We've done this for the past 5 years and with 2 kids and no problem....Makes leaving the parks at nite alot easier(And yes I watch for ankles)..We probably cover more ground than some people in the course of their stay at disneyworld...And that is with breaks during the day and sometimes going to more than one park a day...Yes we watch our kids to see if their getting tired or cranky , we as adults need pool breaks.....But to me Either rent a stroller or bring one...there are plenty of umbrellas strollers out there that fold up small enough (for the bus ride) and are roomy enough for a child... If they use it fine , if not no big loss..

And yes we, both my husband and I including the children have and are park commando's..in every sence of the word! lol.

Upvote 0

mickeysgal

When my DH, DD (3), DS (1), and I go in September, we will be bringing our umbrella strollers...but we do things a little differently. We use them to get from land to land, park them in the stroller parking, then explore each lands attractions. I find it much easier than parking the stroller at one attraction, then getting the kids back into the stroller, moving a couple of feet to the next attraction and repeating. This works the best at MK, MGM, and Animal Kingdom, Epcot is a little to big for mine to walk all day. Once my son no longer takes naps, we might try no strollers at the parks and just make sure that we take breaks to sit and rest...but that will probably our next year trip!

I may be the minority here, but I use the "leash" with my son (and my daughter when she was younger). I will probably be purchasing the wrist ones this year. My children love to walk and run, but hate holding hands. This way I know they will not get away from me and disappear into the crowd. I'd rather see them look like a "dog" than never see them again! Just my opinion though.

Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0
mickeysgal said:
When my DH, DD (3), DS (1), and I go in September, we will be bringing our umbrella strollers...but we do things a little differently. We use them to get from land to land, park them in the stroller parking, then explore each lands attractions. I find it much easier than parking the stroller at one attraction, then getting the kids back into the stroller, moving a couple of feet to the next attraction and repeating. This works the best at MK, MGM, and Animal Kingdom, Epcot is a little to big for mine to walk all day. Once my son no longer takes naps, we might try no strollers at the parks and just make sure that we take breaks to sit and rest...but that will probably our next year trip!

I may be the minority here, but I use the "leash" with my son (and my daughter when she was younger). I will probably be purchasing the wrist ones this year. My children love to walk and run, but hate holding hands. This way I know they will not get away from me and disappear into the crowd. I'd rather see them look like a "dog" than never see them again! Just my opinion though.

Have a wonderful trip!

I so agree with you!!!! While no one seems to like the harnesses, they give the child a sense of freedom and they walk off the energy and Mom gets the security of peace of mind.

As for the stroller, while I am not a park commando, the varying ages of my children allows everyone to enjoy the park without waiting for little ones to catch up. I use a folding double stroller and if it's going to be a long day it is invaluable. We also park and walk away from the stroller. It works for everyone.

Upvote 0

Mr. Friendly

Strollers

We use strollers for our 4,2 and 5 month old. When you have 4 kids, its hard to keep track of them if they are not in a stroller. I know I can trust my 6 year old to walk, but not my stary-eyed 4 year old. One of the bigest reasons for us is that our kids don't get trampeled to death. Every year our kids get knocked down and steped on by some un-friendly person. Every year! For my kids safety and hapiness, I will be puting them in strolers until they go to school.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

GenerationX said:
There are plenty of entertaining attractions for 4 year olds, and strollers allow you to see more of them. Will you cover as much ground with a kid in a stroller as you would without the kid? No. Will you cover more ground with a 4 year old in a stroller than you would with the kid walking on his own? Yes. No question about it.

Well it all depends upon your kid. We had no stroller with my 4 1/2 yr old niece and we covered more ground than you could shake a stick at, in fact, I think it was my brother who was always complaining about the walking, not the kids.

Upvote 0

joelleharbert

Funny you should ask this. I just had our our three kids, ages 6, 3 (he'll be 4 in June), and 2 start walking today at our local Y. I wanted to see how the kids would do just walking 1 mile on their own to see who would need a stroller when we went in September. The 6-year-old did fantastic at one mile, but starting getting a little winded by the last lap; the 3 (almost 4)-year-old started whining after 2 laps (it's 7 laps to 1 mile); the 2-year-old couldn't even finish the second lap at all. So, to sum it up, it looks like we'll be taking two umbrella strollers with us and hoping for the best with the 6-year-old. I think that if we can try to practice walking between now and Sept., he should be good to go for a whole day at the parks. So, YES, YES, YES, take the stroller or rent one. And, while I understand the individual who believes that if the 4-year-old cannot walk on his own foot power, they should head back to the hotel, that's fine, until you've only been in the park an hour and it's already 90 degrees out and the 4-year-old is whining to be carried. Trust me, been there, done that, not fun!

Upvote 0

WishIwasThere

We brought an umbrella stroller for our 3yr old son, but not the 6 yr old daughter. She did great for a few hours, then we left and came back for MVMCP and we got free rental for the night. Wow, it was nice having her in a stroller too. Didn't have to move at her speed, could move at adult speed. Easier for her to eat or dring somthing as well if she's in the stroller. It definitly helped her endurance for the park.

I have heard from others, that any child under seven should possibly get a stroller. We wore a podometer one time we visited the MK and we walked almost seven miles for the day we were there. The only problem with having an umbrella stroller and the Disney supplied stroller is that they both wanted the Disney stroller, so every ride they switched who got to ride the Disney one.:wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Nemo14 said:
He probably won't want to ride in it at first, but once he tires out he'll appreciate having it. We always found that at the end of the day, just having a place for the kids to rest for a moment did wonders for their mood. You'll also appreciate having something to carry your "stuff" in too.

When I went with my BIL & his family (3 kids) we rented one single stroller for his youngest who was 3 at the time on our first day. The other kids took turns "resting" during the day. For the rest of the trip we got 2 double strollers for the kids ...3,5,5 and 9. The only one who didn't use it was the 13 y/o. If I could have fit I would have taken a turn too. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

WishIwasThere

MartyMouse said:
I know when I was a kid my grandmother would always brag about how when I first went to Disney World (1975 I was 3), I never complained and I walked the entire time and never asked to be carried. I know from my own experience that I can remember as far back as 4 and a half and I can’t remember ever seeing a stroller in my house much less ridding in one, so I don’t see why these 6 year olds would ever want to be caught dead in a stroller, I know I would have been embarrassed (again I’m not saying it’s wrong).

One thing I’ve noticed over the years is the amount of strollers used at the parks seems to be increasing a thousand fold. It’s only in the last few years that I have seen the major stroller back-ups around attractions in the parks.

No kids yet ehh? Also, back in 1975 there was one park which you could cover in a day or two. I don't know about you, but after a week hitting the parks at WDW, my feet are pretty tired, so try being a child who has just walked a marathon. My daughter welcomed sitting in the stroller after a few hours walking around MK.

Upvote 0

VeRTiGo91

Our 4 year old didn't really want to sit in it, but he later shared it with his his 2 year old sister. Saved wear and tear on his shoes, and energy for his legs!

Good investment!

V

Upvote 0

pinkrose

tigsmom said:
When I went with my BIL & his family (3 kids) we rented one single stroller for his youngest who was 3 at the time on our first day. The other kids took turns "resting" during the day. For the rest of the trip we got 2 double strollers for the kids ...3,5,5 and 9. The only one who didn't use it was the 13 y/o. If I could have fit I would have taken a turn too. :lookaroun
We have actually seen a man and child pushing a GROWN women (who was asleep) in one of the double rental strollers. :lol:

When we took our kids for the first time (ages 4 and 6), we rented a double stroller. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Not only did they get to "rest" between attractions, they also did not get "run over" buy the mad dash of people leaving after the fireworks.

Upvote 0

Trishnh

hedgewick said:
We're going to Disney World in September. My son will be 4 1/2. He's right around 40 lbs and 40 inches now and doesn't really fit well in our stroller anymore so we haven't used it in quite a while. I'm wondering if:

A) strollers that are for rent at the parks would accomidate a child this size?

b) If so, have any of you used one for a child of his age/size? Is it worth it?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to ride in it but later in the day may be really tired and crabby. I'm also worred about him staying with us. I HATE the idea of the "leashes" I see folks use for their kids (he's not a dog). I don't want to spend the money on one and then just use it to cart around our bags and things instead of our son.

What do you all recomend?

We are in the same situation here..I actually bought a new stroller for my now 4 1/2 year old last year specifically for Disney and it is really hard to push since she is getting heavy. I decided we were not going to bring it with us on our trip this year (last week :cry: ) and we rented on instead..The rentals are GREAT!! They are VERY easy to push, even with a 40 lb child in it. It gave her a break from walking when she needed it, and it helped keep her close to us when we were in large crowds. It can get pricey but If you pay for a multi day rental you save $2 a day (we found this out on our third day :hammer: )...Plus the rental tickets dont expire so if you dont use them all you can save them for another trip. I know you coul dbuy a cheapie stroller cheaper than renting one, but personally I wouldnt bother..It was so much easier renting one than lugging one on the airplane and the busses.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

We still rent 2 doubles, because I'll be danged if I'm going to drag one back and forth with me. :lol: But even my 11 year old will plop down in it if we are just standing around waiting for something.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Mr. Friendly said:
We use strollers for our 4,2 and 5 month old. When you have 4 kids, its hard to keep track of them if they are not in a stroller. I know I can trust my 6 year old to walk, but not my stary-eyed 4 year old. One of the bigest reasons for us is that our kids don't get trampeled to death. Every year our kids get knocked down and steped on by some un-friendly person. Every year! For my kids safety and hapiness, I will be puting them in strolers until they go to school.

Yes!! :sohappy: (I think I could've bolded the whole paragraph) :lol:

Upvote 0

Kadee

mickeysgal said:
......I may be the minority here, but I use the "leash" with my son (and my daughter when she was younger). I will probably be purchasing the wrist ones this year. My children love to walk and run, but hate holding hands. This way I know they will not get away from me and disappear into the crowd. I'd rather see them look like a "dog" than never see them again! Just my opinion though.

Have a wonderful trip!

I was one of "those people" who used to say, "I'd never use a leash.... children are not dogs!" UNTIL I had a child of my own who walked...no.. RAN everywhere at a very early age. She was independent from the start. A harness was necessary and I quickly appologized to my cousin who used one and was the recipiant of my above quote. In the 17 years since my daughter has been born, I have learned that you can NOT judge others' parenting decisions (unless they are putting their children in harm). People are different and that is OK. I didn't take my daughter to WDW until she was 8, but that was only because we could not afford to go until then. Had we been able to afford it, we would have taken her much sooner and used a stroller, leash, harness......anything to keep her safe and/or comfortable!

Just in case you need an emergency rest.....
On our first trip to WDW with our daughter, we were only there for 4 days and did not want to miss anything. While at MK, our 8 year old was exhausted (as was I). We didn't want to go back to the room, so we decided to do a relaxing attraction. We went to the Hall of Presidents. We chose to sit in the last row. Courtney and I fell right to sleep :snore: and didn't wake up until my husband woke us when the show was over ... 45 minutes later! :lol: We were refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the park.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Kadee said:
Just in case you need an emergency rest.....
On our first trip to WDW with our daughter, we were only there for 4 days and did not want to miss anything. While at MK, our 8 year old was exhausted (as was I). We didn't want to go back to the room, so we decided to do a relaxing attraction. We went to the Hall of Presidents. We chose to sit in the last row. Courtney and I fell right to sleep :snore: and didn't wake up until my husband woke us when the show was over ... 45 minutes later! :lol: We were refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the park.
We used to do that on CoP!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom