Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

Princess Leia

It doesn't look like it is long for this world.
I wish they'd move it over to Toy Story Land. It'd give kids a play area (where they could be like a 3-year-old me, and get their shoes stuck in the netting) in a park that needs some sort of a spot to let kids blow off steam. All you'd have to do is throw in some Pixar/Toy Story references (giant B&L batteries, the ball, Pizza Planet tokens, etc.) and take out the giant dog (or give him a makeover to look like Buster), and you're set.

Last edited:

sedati

I am thinking that Star Wars is yesterday. It has had its time and though popular to a degree, is on the downswing. If Disney wanted to do this, they should have done so 15-20 years ago when Star Wars was in its prime.

It is just another example of the lack of creativity and ORIGINALITY that now characterizes Disney. This and being more known for its greed and focus on shareholders versus its customers.

I try not to be mean in my posts, but you have to be walking around with blinders on. Having lived through all three trilogies of Star Wars I'm going to say that this year has been as close to 1977 as it's ever been. Not only that, while I do remember Star Wars originally being beloved by all ages and genders when it first came out, I don't remember seeing so many girls and women embracing it as they do now which warms my heart.

As for originality, how's this:
While I have some expectations and preconceived notions about the upcoming Star Wars films, I don't really have any idea what's going to happen. Sure it is an existing universe and some characters are already familiar, but we are getting new, original works.
Back when Disney was "original" and made films like Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, etc... etc... etc... audiences already had a pretty good idea of what they were in store for (not to say I don't think they didn't do a lot of great things in their adaptations and reinterpretations.)
Today, both Pixar and Disney are doing a lot more original stories, and when an existing work is adapted, they're really only taking a basic concept and creating something unexpected and new as with Tangled and Frozen.
Disney was only as original as Marvel Studios is today. Adapting existing stories- taking the best parts, looking at it with a fresh modern point of view, and adding some fun new twists.

As always, they could do more, take more risks, be more experimental- but I really don't get the constant negativity here. A lifelong Disney fan, I can honestly say they're the one studio/company that has the most projects that I'm currently excited about- and this has certainly not always been the case.

mikeh

I guess that makes sense, but it's still weird. Why would they demo all of Premiere but make an effort to leave this standing even though both structures were touching?

The section that was touching it was demolished while the area was still open to guests and was thus too close to be demolished at the same time.

HollywoodStudios_PremierTheater_03232016-2.jpg

Rob Paige

I try not to be mean in my posts, but you have to be walking around with blinders on. Having lived through all three trilogies of Star Wars I'm going to say that this year has been as close to 1977 as it's ever been. Not only that, while I do remember Star Wars originally being beloved by all ages and genders when it first came out, I don't remember seeing so many girls and women embracing it as they do now which warms my heart.

As for originality, how's this:
While I have some expectations and preconceived notions about the upcoming Star Wars films, I don't really have any idea what's going to happen. Sure it is an existing universe and some characters are already familiar, but we are getting new, original works.
Back when Disney was "original" and made films like Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, etc... etc... etc... audiences already had a pretty good idea of what they were in store for (not to say I don't think they didn't do a lot of great things in their adaptations and reinterpretations.)
Today, both Pixar and Disney are doing a lot more original stories, and when an existing work is adapted, they're really only taking a basic concept and creating something unexpected and new as with Tangled and Frozen.
Disney was only as original as Marvel Studios is today. Adapting existing stories- taking the best parts, looking at it with a fresh modern point of view, and adding some fun new twists.

As always, they could do more, take more risks, be more experimental- but I really don't get the constant negativity here. A lifelong Disney fan, I can honestly say they're the one studio/company that has the most projects that I'm currently excited about- and this has certainly not always been the case.

I still think it is "Been there. Done that." It lacks originality that Disney used to be known for. A stale, bland ordinary feeling.

In addition, it has the horrible effect of taking away the Osbourne Family of Lights. TONS of people would flock to see this as it was one of the most incredible sites for Christmas on the planet. Now, there is Star Wars. Talk about a let down.

DznyRktekt

Demolishing this section of the park is shortsighted. Disney spends millions of dollars adding detailed facades to show buildings, and these were already constructed and could be ready to be used as entrances to new attractions set in an urban environment. Zootopia ride anyone? Star Wars land now that it will not be tied to the existing Star Tours attraction (another mistake) should have been built on an expansion plot.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I still think it is "Been there. Done that." It lacks originality that Disney used to be known for. A stale, bland ordinary feeling.

In addition, it has the horrible effect of taking away the Osbourne Family of Lights. TONS of people would flock to see this as it was one of the most incredible sites for Christmas on the planet. Now, there is Star Wars. Talk about a let down.

Star Wars land will draw far more people to the park then Osborne Lights did. You might not be interested in Star Wars but it's hard to make a case that the land won't be successful.

Rob Paige

Star Wars land will draw far more people to the park then Osborne Lights did. You might not be interested in Star Wars but it's hard to make a case that the land won't be successful.

Time will tell. My prediction is that it will have a major spike which will top after about 12-16 months and then a slow but steady decline.

Phicinfan

Demolishing this section of the park is shortsighted. Disney spends millions of dollars adding detailed facades to show buildings, and these were already constructed and could be ready to be used as entrances to new attractions set in an urban environment. Zootopia ride anyone? Star Wars land now that it will not be tied to the existing Star Tours attraction (another mistake) should have been built on an expansion plot.
And they had 14 acres of expansion plot to do that? I don't think so. Okay, so if it had gone where it was originally "planned" are you okay with existing structures around Echo lake being demolished? Would that have been better?

@Rob Paige
I don't think you are correct here. The MASS excitement over Star Wars even before the new movie came out, gives me the same feeling as RTeetz. This will end up being a huge draw very similar to HP. I don't see HP slowing down, and I don't forsee SWE slowing down. If for no other reason than all the plans for ongoing story lines in movies post this new trilogy.

Rob Paige

And they had 14 acres of expansion plot to do that? I don't think so. Okay, so if it had gone where it was originally "planned" are you okay with existing structures around Echo lake being demolished? Would that have been better?

@Rob Paige
I don't think you are correct here. The MASS excitement over Star Wars even before the new movie came out, gives me the same feeling as RTeetz. This will end up being a huge draw very similar to HP. I don't see HP slowing down, and I don't forsee SWE slowing down. If for no other reason than all the plans for ongoing story lines in movies post this new trilogy.

As someone who lives in Orlando and has a number of both worker bees and admin types in Disney and Universal as neighbors, Potter has slowed down this year. As I mentioned, It is a slow decent but a decent nevertheless. It peaked and now is declining.

I can guarantee the same thing will happen with Star Wars, particularly since is yesterday's news in the eyes of many.

Phicinfan

As someone who lives in Orlando and has a number of both worker bees and admin types in Disney and Universal as neighbors, Potter has slowed down this year. As I mentioned, It is a slow decent but a decent nevertheless. It peaked and now is declining.

I can guarantee the same thing will happen with Star Wars, particularly since is yesterday's news in the eyes of many.
Eyes of a few, not many, the number of people who watched the latest movie I think shows that

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom