Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

mvieguy

to be honest, i always thoughts SOA was a stupid name. A street in New york, possibly Madison Ave. and a Street in San Fransisco. I mean. what about Chicago, Philly, LA. lol My Soul died when they got rid of Residential Drive, in favor of LMA. I was MGM Studios fan. I liked to go to parks for the behind the scenes stuff, but dvd extras, and the new generations, didnt seem as interested. So seeing SOA being torn down. I say , ah well, time for a new Era. I liked the Idea of TSL, but i'd rather it be Pixar Land . and just do a bunch of diffrent attractions from Pixars bigger hits. I am a lifelong fan of SW. so a SWL. is exciting, however ride simulators are not. I am tired of Star Tours type of rides, and Screen Driven Attractions

roj2323

There's many places CPs shouldn't be. Doesn't mean they heed that warning. They are rentals and they know their expiration date. I saw a lot of people do a lot of stupid crap on their last few days on my two programs.
I didn't experience this with my program or my year stint as a part timer several years later. All I did notice was laziness from my fellow Showkeepers and poor treatment from some of the leadership because of my CP and Part time statuses.

Next Big Thing

I didn't experience this with my program or my year stint as a part timer several years later. All I did notice was laziness from my fellow Showkeepers and poor treatment from some of the leadership because of my CP and Part time statuses.
I may have been exagerating when I said "A lot", but I knew quite a few Disney nerds that couldn't help themselves towards the end. Most of the people I hung out with (mostly my roommates) were club goers and and drunkards. It's a wonder we made it through the whole program lol

Rob Paige

This is a very sad sight. It is another example of how Disney has lost their way.

They have forgotten their roots (via Walt) and lack the creativity they were known for. They have lowered their standards to compete with Universal.

I have never heard so many people disenchanted with Disney. The numbers are still big for them but for the first time ever, Universal is surpassing them in growth. Not surprised.

NEW leadership is desperately needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is a very sad sight. It is another example of how Disney has lost their way.

They have forgotten their roots (via Walt) and lack the creativity they were known for. They have lowered their standards to compete with Universal.

I have never heard so many people disenchanted with Disney. The numbers are still big for them but for the first time ever, Universal is surpassing them in growth. Not surprised.

NEW leadership is desperately needed.

I won't deny that Disney is making a lot of bad decisions recently, but personally I don't feel removing Streets of America for Star Wars land is one of them.

Rob Paige

I won't deny that Disney is making a lot of bad decisions recently, but personally I don't feel removing Streets of America for Star Wars land is one of them.

I am thinking that Star Wars is yesterday. It has had its time and though popular to a degree, is on the downswing. If Disney wanted to do this, they should have done so 15-20 years ago when Star Wars was in its prime.

It is just another example of the lack of creativity and ORIGINALITY that now characterizes Disney. This and being more known for its greed and focus on shareholders versus its customers.

Princess Leia

I am thinking that Star Wars is yesterday. It has had its time and though popular to a degree, is on the downswing. If Disney wanted to do this, they should have done so 15-20 years ago when Star Wars was in its prime.

It is just another example of the lack of creativity and ORIGINALITY that now characterizes Disney. This and being more known for its greed and focus on shareholders versus its customers.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time (who knows, it could get the #2 spot if it's released in theaters again). It was way more critically acclaimed the the prequel trilogy, and it's box office numbers kind of prove that people are still into Star Wars. Look in the toy section at any store like WalMart, and you'll find a section devoted to all sorts of characters from the movies and tv shows.

Streets of America was a fun, relaxing area, but there wasn't much to do, because that wasn't its initial purpose. SWL is a much better use of the space in the park, and when it's opened, maybe the rest of DHS will have a bit of a breather from everything being Star Wars related.

deeevo

Star Wars was far from its prime in 1996. Even after Episode I, II and III it was no where near what it is today. You can only compare the popularity of it now to the late 70's early 80's when I had Star Wars toys scattered all over my room and every other kids room in the neighborhood did as well. I am not going to argue that they lack originality and creativity but Star Wars is a sure thing. Just like Harry Potter and Disney was going to invest in a sure thing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Star Wars is still hugely popular, even before Force Awakens came out, and there is no indication that popularity will significantly wane in the near future. I can't think of any other franchise that is more of a sure bet then Star Wars.

PorterRedkey

From Blog Mickey:
Full article at http://blogmickey.com/2016/08/photos-streets-of-america-demolition-san-francisco-facades-complete/
StreetsOfAmerica-08252016-2.jpg

The red is what has been removed so far.
StreetsOfAmerica-08252016-3.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom