1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

Discussion in 'Studios Redevelopment' started by elchippo, Jun 27, 2016.

1. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

There was a time when HS used to have a daily parade that were actually fun. Take the Toy Story Parade for example.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. brb1006

Yeah but those parade pale in comparison to the parades that were made based on the latest Disney/Pixar film like the Mulan and Toy Story Parade being prime examples.

3. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

The CTF parade was as cheap as they come.

Sped2424, MaxW, PorterRedkey and 3 others like this.
  4. HauntedMansionFLA

HauntedMansionFLA Well-Known Member

5. DisneyJayL

DisneyJayL Well-Known Member

These threads make me homesick.

6. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Aladdin and Hercules

7. brb1006

Now I made myself sad knowing WDW no longer does parades like this at HS (Even if they aren't as common as they used to) imagine how a Zootopia parade would had been like if they still done this? Also what ever happened to WDW putting that much effort into parades like this?

8. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

Zootopia and Moana both would have been amazing parades. Zootopia because of the crazy scale of things, Moana for the music.

9. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Well-Known Member

I'm never sure if I should post these in this thread or the Muppets Courtyard thread.

Going through photos from my trip to HS yesterday. A metal awning has been put up at the end of the remaining SoA facades at the old Chevrolet building. I wonder what that'll end up being. Some sort of shop, maybe?

[​IMG]

Plus some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One big thing of note is that the Writer's Shop has no walls anymore.

Texas84, BlindChow, wdrive and 10 others like this.
  10. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

That awning is probably decorative. I don't think there is enough room behind the façade for a shop.

11. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Iger and his infernal share buyback program, Disney's customer since Iger took the helm is Wall St as such we the guest no longer count in Disneys calculus except as sources of funding

Disney will buy back enough shares this year alone to build 1 3/4 SDL's yet disney continues the cutbacks at wdw at an accelerated pace

TheOrangeBird01 and katdralion like this.
  12. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Well-Known Member

I think it could work. The shop/shops can be built out behind the facade without much fuss.

Realistically you could fit this into the space without knocking down anything major:
    [​IMG]

Could put a few stores in there honestly. Not huge ones, but still.

13. prfctlyximprct

prfctlyximprct Well-Known Member

14. marni1971

The facade will remain a facade.

15. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

So, instead of looking like New York City, it's supposed to look like Edison, NJ?

uncle jimmy likes this.
  16. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Honestly I hope they would make use of the facades instead of just leaving them there unused! Now that SoA is no longer what purpose does the three "buildings" serve beside scenery? Might as well put them and the space behind them to good use, even if its only for a puppet show much like the Great moments in History in Liberty Square.

17. marni1971

They will block the view of the rear of Sci Fi, Commissary and GMR from the MV courtyard.

18. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Understandable but as I said why not put them to more use and have a small shop, QS or M&G? Though the Mouse doesn't always make the most rational choices so I guess there's no point in mentioning it!

19. roj2323

roj2323 Premium Member

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 1.26.07 AM.png
    In this photo (thanks bioreconstruct) There's a few things to see.

• The facade of the coffee shop has been stripped back to it's studs.
    • There's a staircase in the center of the photo (could be just for the scaffolding however)
    • There's a big ring of colored concrete which could be for a planter or water feature.
    • There's several foundation piers that are 12-18 inches square. These could be for any number of things but I'd bet on this area becoming a seating area like a bistro/cafe (Think Starring rolls cafe relocated) so it's probably for brick built columns to delineate the space from the open pathway beyond
    • There's a long curved concrete form (far right of construction area) this is probably the start of a raised planter box similar to the other ones around Sci Fi and ABC commissary

20. roj2323

roj2323 Premium Member

This completely ignores the operational uses of the area. The top left peak of red points to one of the main cast break areas in the park which needs to remain accessible. Just below and to the left of that is the roll off trash compactor and cardboard bailer for Scifi and ABC commissary. At the center of the photo is merchandise / dry good storage for 3 different areas. Things like those souvenir cups you buy for way too much money as well as formerly all the storage for the coffee/book shop was in there. The area also serves as one just a few cast smoking areas (bottom Left). The thing is they could convert about half of this to actual shop space (the right half starting at about the center of the photo) but they won't, simply because they don't need to.

J. D., Mike S, JenniferS and 5 others like this.