Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

Goofyernmost

I'm curious how long the archives have on a demo project to save whatever is going to be saved. With a lot of authentic props throughout that area, I'd assume it's probably very tedious having to separate the real stuff from the reproduced items.
I don't really think that there were a lot of props in the streets of America part. I would think that everything was stick built to create the facade, even the signs on the almost buildings. The backlot, absolutely thousands of things, but the streets themselves I'm thinking not so much. There was a lot of equipment that needed to be salvaged from Lights, Motors, etc but mostly big ticket items like the vehicles which, if I had to guess, are currently on their way to Paris to replace older equipment that is currently there. I'm also guessing that archives gets all the time it needs and may be one of the biggest culprits in how long it takes for demolition to be completed. We as impatient fans tend to over-simplify the process, both in salvage and safety to taking down huge, very strongly engineered buildings.

Variable

I don't really think that there were a lot of props in the streets of America part.

One thing I never liked about it: it was blank and static. A blank set, appropriately, stripped of all accouterments. There was no life there without a production going on. And while many admired the facades, the Streets of America were really a strip of an unusually quiet, lifeless, flat, movie set.

DHSCM

I don't really think that there were a lot of props in the streets of America part. I would think that everything was stick built to create the facade, even the signs on the almost buildings. The backlot, absolutely thousands of things, but the streets themselves I'm thinking not so much. There was a lot of equipment that needed to be salvaged from Lights, Motors, etc but mostly big ticket items like the vehicles which, if I had to guess, are currently on their way to Paris to replace older equipment that is currently there. I'm also guessing that archives gets all the time it needs and may be one of the biggest culprits in how long it takes for demolition to be completed. We as impatient fans tend to over-simplify the process, both in salvage and safety to taking down huge, very strongly engineered buildings.

Actually there where plenty of props on the SOA people just don't realize they because they were chosen and placed strategically to make it look natural. There used to be an old prop shop when it was MGM and they used a lot of those props on the SOA a lot of the stuff on San Fransico street where the Chinese shop was all have been previous items from the park before. There is more fact about this but I can't remember it from a tour I took of SODL in 2014.

jessfriends

It felt so weird being at DHS and having the Streets of America closed off. Same thing with the Backlot. It's sad to see one of the two things that defined the original Disney-MGM Studios disappear.

I agree. I too felt weird back in April when I visited but it will be a good thing for the park when it's all done. I wonder if they will be making SoA piece of history pins? lol!

Variable

QUOTE="Pixie VaVoom, post: 7327619, member: 90947"]Are you callin somebody a "Hoe" ??[/QUOTE]

HA! No. There are these nice little handy pieces of equipment called "back-hoes" You'll find images on the internet. While technically what we tend to see in these pictures of SWL have been "excavators" most of us call them hoes. Because that's the piece of equipment they are is the 'hoe' part of a back-hoe. I'm sure the term 'hoe' being applied was an outgrow of a hoe's form/function from the non-mechanized age.

Variable

Actually there where plenty of props on the SOA people just don't realize they because they were chosen and placed strategically to make it look natural. There used to be an old prop shop when it was MGM and they used a lot of those props on the SOA a lot of the stuff on San Fransico street where the Chinese shop was all have been previous items from the park before. There is more fact about this but I can't remember it from a tour I took of SODL in 2014.

Well they sure did a good job hiding them all. No question the street looked realistic on many levels, that was the idea. But so does the one street over in Uni. Could be in any town USA. But I'll take a Main Street or Hollywood Blvd, Sunset. over SoA any day.

Variable

Goofy, company historians and archivists usually have to fight pretty hard to keep things. Its kind of natural characteristic of the people that go into the field: they want to keep everything. I can't imagine Disney letting those folks dictate the timing on anything. More likely "you've got 2 days, have fun"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
QUOTE="Pixie VaVoom, post: 7327619, member: 90947"]Are you callin somebody a "Hoe" ??

HA! No. There are these nice little handy pieces of equipment called "back-hoes" You'll find images on the internet. While technically what we tend to see in these pictures of SWL have been "excavators" most of us call them hoes. Because that's the piece of equipment they are is the 'hoe' part of a back-hoe. I'm sure the term 'hoe' being applied was an outgrow of a hoe's form/function from the non-mechanized age.[/QUOTE]

Big difference between a backhoe and an excavator

Backhoe - small digging and breakout force (on the order of tons) total machine weight 3-8 tons
upload_2016-7-26_6-27-34.jpeg

Excavator weight 3-100 Tons breakout force on the order of 20-70 tons based on machine weight unit shown 60 tons
C10357449

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Goofy, company historians and archivists usually have to fight pretty hard to keep things. Its kind of natural characteristic of the people that go into the field: they want to keep everything. I can't imagine Disney letting those folks dictate the timing on anything. More likely "you've got 2 days, have fun"

Two days would often be a luxury!

Goofyernmost

Two days would often be a luxury!
OK, I have to concede that my guess about it was absolutely wrong. But, still the amount of salvageable "real" stuff on the Streets of America to me is still pretty limited. So much of it were just recreations and probably not worth the effort. Real objects are one thing, plaster models... not so much.

Variable

HA! No. There are these nice little handy pieces of equipment called "back-hoes" You'll find images on the internet. While technically what we tend to see in these pictures of SWL have been "excavators" most of us call them hoes. Because that's the piece of equipment they are is the 'hoe' part of a back-hoe. I'm sure the term 'hoe' being applied was an outgrow of a hoe's form/function from the non-mechanized age.

Backhoe - small digging and breakout force (on the order of tons) total machine weight 3-8 tons
View attachment 153353

Excavator weight 3-100 Tons breakout force on the order of 20-70 tons based on machine weight unit shown 60 tons
C10357449
[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Thanks for the pictures. Illustrates my description quite well. One can easily see why the name 'hoe' is often applied to what is more formally called an excavator.

aidancar

I think that there were quite a few unique pieces back there that people would have paid for, even if there are only replicas of the real props people would still buy them simply because they were in a Disney park. An example that personally angers me is with the Osborne Lights, it turns out each year they would cut down the millions of lights that were only used for one season and throw them away! I would have paid them close to retail price for the lights that they were throwing away to use in my home light display. I'm sure there are people who are interested in purchasing things in the streets but it seems Disney chooses to waste things in order to "keep the magic" in there operations.

hobovampire

Definitely popped in here for all the pictures hopefully soon to be coming, but it's interesting to see how things go in general. I also learned about tractors, so I feel like I'm winning at least somewhere.

elchippo

Original Poster

View attachment 153353

C10357449

.[/QUOTE]

Hey their world headquarters is just down the street from my office!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom