'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Vegas Disney Fan

I was just offering another possible clue to why Strange World failed. I’m sure millions of concerned parents knew of Mr. Young-White’s unfortunate foray into drag and decided to boycott the film as a result. It’s just another piece in the puzzle we’re trying to dissect.

A Disney movie failing so badly really is a puzzle, which is why this thread is so interesting.

Personally I still put 50% of the blame on horrible advertising, 30% of the blame on D+, 15% of the blame on bad word of mouth, and 5% on everything else (inclusion, actors, etc).

The gay crush or “controversial” actors (most of us have never heard of) probably had very little to do with this movie tanking but it’s more interesting than talking about marketing.

Californian Elitist

A Disney movie failing so badly really is a puzzle, which is why this thread is so interesting.

Personally I still put 50% of the blame on horrible advertising, 30% of the blame on D+, 15% of the blame on bad word of mouth, and 5% on everything else (inclusion, actors, etc).

The gay crush or “controversial” actors (most of us have never heard of) probably had very little to do with this movie tanking but it’s more interesting than talking about marketing.
I actually thought the movie was coming out next year and they were starting the advertising for it early. I saw the trailer once when it debuted for D23. Not sure why they didn’t promote it earlier.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Was she topless in Striptease? I imagine she'd have to be with a title like that! :cool:
Given the context of that sentence, I read originally read 'title' as some other word and wondered if the forum censor was broken.

Diversity of thought, perhaps? Not willing to obey the Smart Set who rushes to redefine stuff every 6 to 12 months?

Hey, how do I get into the Smart Set cabal? Is there monthly dues?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Forgive me for generalising. I knew that Argentina was an exception and should have accounted for the possibility that other countries might also follow a different tradition from the one I mentioned. My point was only that there is no correlation between the sharing of a surname and the strength of a family's bonds.
No apologies needed, just sharing how it is where I come from. :)

erasure fan1

The potential reasons thrown out have gotten more bizzarre.

I actually look forward to watching the movie and discussing my thoughts about it.

That's why I said I think the movie could have fairly strong numbers when it hits streaming. Never underestimate the lets see what all the fuss is about mentality.

TP2000

I have no complaints about raunchy music- I just think it should be nowhere near the Disney Brand.

Exactly. Jaboukie's latest "song" (which is funny because it's composed of synthesized sounds done by unknown studio artists, and his voice is radically changed by Autotune machines as he talks "sings") is just really raunchy and obscene.

That is simply a fact.

Branding is essential here. Tons of actors/actresses have produced content that Disney wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole- but if their brand transcends that, and it isn't their primary reputation then they're fine. This Jaboukie dude isn't there yet.

Thank you for getting it! :)

Jaboukie as Ethan Clade circa 2022 is not even close to Robin Williams as The Genie circa 1992.

Including Robin William's night club routines in the 1970's and 80's where he was known to work blue.

He had one gig with Disney that bombed, and the last few weeks we've been trying to dissect the myriad of reasons why that is. Jaboukie's raunchy music might contribute to that, even if it's not the primary reason. I still believe the primary reason is Disney's horrific marketing of the film- which allowed the public narrative to focus on all the wrong things about the movie.

And now via this discussion and the revelation of various facts and background info, it's becoming clearer why the marketing for Strange World was awful at best, and buried at worst. There's a story there. Jaboukie is merely one small part of that much larger story. It's all very weird! 🧐

I actually thought the movie was coming out next year and they were starting the advertising for it early. I saw the trailer once when it debuted for D23. Not sure why they didn’t promote it earlier.

You aren't alone. The marketing for Strange World was truly awful, and barely existed in most Americans minds.

For a movie that Burbank spent $180 Million to produce and that scored a coveted Thanksgiving weekend debut date in 4,100 theaters.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on why Burbank botched and/or buried the marketing for Strange World. Why do you think they did that? I'm not asking for paragraphs, just a few bullet points would work, if you have the time or interest.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

I decided to look on youtube the other day and there were clips with Jaboukie on Disney's official youtube channel
1671148970722.png

Not really sure what a "sound bath" is, but anyways it does show they aren't necessarily trying to hide the guy.

BuddyThomas

For all the haters on here who have not even seen the movie - I have some fantastic news for you! The movie did not get a Golden Globe nomination for Best Animated Film. I don’t need to read more gloating posts from the WDW Magic Haters Club. I am just posting this in anticipation of those on here who always claim that awards and nominations mean nothing now changing their tune to awards and nominations mean everything. Ready? Go!

RobWDW1971

Only scoreboard that matters, especially for a public company, is box office dollars. Can't manufacture it. Can't hide it. Can't spin it.

That's OK, we're now one week away from the film being "discovered" and "beloved" on Disney+! Trust us! They LOVE it!!!

BuddyThomas

Only scoreboard that matters, especially for a public company, is box office dollars. Can't manufacture it. Can't hide it. Can't spin it.

That's OK, we're now one week away from the film being "discovered" and "beloved" on Disney+! Trust us! They LOVE it!!!
Make sure not to watch it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom