'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah, he's gross, but I came to terms with the idea of separating the art from the artist (or one piece of art by the same artist from another) a long time ago. I have no problem watching The Cosby Show with my kids, or rewatching an old Chris Benoit wrestling match. Pretty much every celebrity is degenerate at best and abhorrent at worst so I need to sever some things in order to be at peace with consuming any pop culture whatsoever.

There’s a few artists I’d skip a movie over (Ezra Miller being a current example) but in most cases I agree, it’s easy to separate the person from the role, especially with voice work where half the time I don’t even know who is voicing the character.

I’ve never heard of the raunchy actor in question and it doesn’t influence my decision to see or not see this movie in any way.

I find the studios insanely hypocritical though, they’ll cancel an actor like Johnny Depp over accusations of violence in a relationship while keeping Amber Heard on the payroll despite her admitting to violence in the same relationship. Gina Carano says something controversial about Jews and is black listed, Whoopi says something controversial about Jews and gets a day off and then it’s like it never happened. Hollywood is not consistant at all.

Heppenheimer

It's not spin, it's just my opinion and thoughts on a fascinating tale of historic box office failure.

As for Ms. Moore, I Googled. She appeared on the cover of Oui magazine (Gawd, I'd forgotten about mags like that! So trashy!) in January, 1981. She claims she was only 16 at the time. By the mid 1980's her movie career took off, and she broke out into stardom when she was in St. Elmo's Fire in 1985. I absolutely hated that movie, and it bugged me because I really liked the pop song that sprang from it. Ms. Moore then went on to star in a dozen or so movies for the next decade, becoming a genuine A Lister by the early 1990's by starring in hugely successful films like A Few Good Men, and Indecent Proposal and Disclosure. I don't remember any topless scenes she may have done, and Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but I imagine there were some as those are mostly R Rated movies of that time.

In 1995 she was chosen to be the voice of Esmerelda. After she had cemented her name as a legit A Lister in a range of various major movies.

Jaboukie circa 2022 is something entirely different than Demi Moore circa 1995. Although both annoy me.
This might be the first time Oui magazine has been mentioned on this website.

TwilightZone

Everyone ignores my comment about Justin Timberlake. Is he really that much of a nobody these days?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Poor JT. From singing songs about how he's bringing sexy back, starring as the blue troll in Trolls, to having a flop about mountains or something

DisneyHead123

Try typing Jaboukie's latest lyrics in this thread or link to his latest music video, and see how far we get. That post would rightly be shut down immediately for wildly offensive material and obscenely adult subject matter.

And that was the guy Burbank chose to voice Ethan Clade? Why? No one else answered their calls?
I’m a boring middle of the road mom and if you’d have asked me who he was before this thread, I would have said “The kid from The Daily Show. Seems like a nice guy, kinda funny if not super memorable.” I’m guessing that’s how he registered with Burbank as well. (I don’t actually have a problem with the other stuff he’s done on his own time - not like they put that in the movie - just saying I bet that was the general public perception of Jaboukie.)

Prince-1

Everyone ignores my comment about Justin Timberlake. Is he really that much of a nobody these days?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Poor JT. From singing songs about how he's bringing sexy back, starring as the blue troll in Trolls, to having a flop about mountains or something

Seems like you have an obsession with JT that no one else shares. I mean you do seemingly know a lot of details about him. ;)

SuddenStorm

Some of y’all are just now discovering Jaboukie Young White, and it shows. Anyone who follows him knows his material has been raunchy and for adults since he entered the business, which was at least five years ago. Disney had no problem hiring him, obviously.

Never heard of him until now, though I might need to look up his music, in incognito mode of course. No need to junk up my browser history.
The point was that Disney didn't distance itself from him even after his arrest for let us say "not kid friendly" theater activities or his recent arrest this summer related to inappropriate photos. His voice can still be heard at Disneyland today, and in the recent Star Wars Rebels show.

So whether before or after being hired Disney has a history of using talent that far from spotless.

Of course, there aren't credits at the end of a theme park attraction. There's no sign in the cantina that says "Paul Reubens voices this dj droid". Fans have to actively search online to find out who voices Rex. Whereas a movie- which advertises the actors on the poster and credits.

I also think Paul Reuben's public image is far better than, say, Miley Cyrus. Probably because his prime was 30 years ago and he's rarely in the limelight these days. But if Star Tours were to be made from scratch today I doubt they'd pick him to do the voice. It's not like they're still calling Miley or Lindsay.

SuddenStorm

If it’s “junk,” then why is there a potential “need” to look up his music?

I meant the comment mostly in jest- The only reason I'd look it up is to see what TP is talking about to give better context to the last few pages of discussion.

I do think music is devolving- the top 40 now is far more explicit than 10 years ago. I will admit Lizzo and the Weekend are incredibly talented.

I also love '90s rap and early '00s Eminem- but can't stand anything he's put out since MMLP2. Same with Dre and Snoop Dogg's newer stuff.

But my goodness there's very few songs in the top 40 that don't have an 'explicit' tag these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom