'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Californian Elitist

Wasn't this cameo ridiculed online? The only coverage I saw of it were posts on reddit about how awful it was to have She Hulk and Megan Thee Stallion twerking in a Marvel production.
I don’t know. Her cameo was like a minute long, but I’m not surprised to here that people didn’t like it. Oh well. She twerked her way to a paycheck.

Doesn’t matter if people liked it or not. She was hired, despite her raunchy, dirty lyrics.
I meant the comment mostly in jest- The only reason I'd look it up is to see what TP is talking about to give better context to the last few pages of discussion.

I do think music is devolving- the top 40 now is far more explicit than 10 years ago. I will admit Lizzo and the Weekend are incredibly talented.

I also love '90s rap and early '00s Eminem- but can't stand anything he's put out since MMLP2. Same with Dre and Snoop Dogg's newer stuff.

But my goodness there's very few songs in the top 40 that don't have an 'explicit' tag these days.
What TP has said is just complaints about Jaboukie being hired for the job. I don’t see the point in automatically referring to his music as “junk” if you’ve never heard of him, let alone listened to his music. Taking cues from TP’s posts in this case gets you nowhere, unless you’re the kind to crap on all raunchy lyrics from gay artists and artists in general, and are shoveling dirt to find more silly criticisms for a film production you haven’t seen.

A lot of 90s and early 2000s rap is explicit and raunchy, Eminem’s, Dre’s, and Snoop’s material included.

Vegas Disney Fan

I meant the comment mostly in jest- The only reason I'd look it up is to see what TP is talking about to give better context to the last few pages of discussion.

I do think music is devolving- the top 40 now is far more explicit than 10 years ago. I will admit Lizzo and the Weekend are incredibly talented.

I also love '90s rap and early '00s Eminem- but can't stand anything he's put out since MMLP2. Same with Dre and Snoop Dogg's newer stuff.

But my goodness there's very few songs in the top 40 that don't have an 'explicit' tag these days.
I laugh that half the songs I sang as a kid (in the 80s) were about sex and drugs and I had no idea.

They were clean compared to todays lyrics though, back then it was mostly innuendo, now it’s just graphic and crude.

Comparing rap from back then to today is shocking also, comparing 2-pac to modern rap is like a poet vs an illiterate.

TwilightZone

Strange world is clearly the movie with every discussion point on the planet, from the valietity of gay characters in animated/children films, what actors are appropriate for those films, whether or not the modern state of music is good (I personally think it is, but I'm more of an indiehead than a pophead).

Everything but what the rest of the movie is actually about ;)

SuddenStorm

What TP has said is just complaints about Jaboukie being hired for the job. I don’t see the point in automatically referring to his music as “junk” if you’ve never heard of him, let alone listened to his music. Taking cues from TP’s posts in this case gets you nowhere, unless you’re the kind to crap on all raunchy lyrics from gay artists and artists in general, and are shoveling dirt to find more silly criticisms for a film production you haven’t seen.

I have no complaints about raunchy music- I just think it should be nowhere near the Disney Brand.

If someone is primarily known for being a musician with explicit music, they should not be hired to act for Disney. Him being gay is irrelevant, as is whether or not I've seen the film.

Branding is essential here. Tons of actors/actresses have produced content that Disney wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole- but if their brand transcends that, and it isn't their primary reputation then they're fine. This Jaboukie dude isn't there yet.

A lot of 90s and early 2000s rap is explicit and raunchy, Eminem’s, Dre’s, and Snoop’s material included.

Wait... are you telling me Eminem, Dre, and Snoop aren't wholesome family entertainment? Dang. Not sure what I've been listening to all these years. :rolleyes:

Californian Elitist

I laughed out loud when I saw the source of indignation! What’s the world coming to?! Such footwear on men would be banned even in Sodom and Gomorrah!

Oh, wait . . .

heels-1.0.jpg

5a160bfeb0c66cb73aedc6c40076253c.jpg

773854c.jpg
One of the reasons I love history so much is because I find the repetition of it to be very interesting. Men have actually been wearing heels for centuries, as we see with the photos you’ve graciously provided. Fashion trends come, go, and return (some of them). A man wearing a heel is not only normal, but it is no indication of who said man is as a person, his likes and dislikes, his sexuality, etc.

I personally am attracted to men who don’t hold themselves tightly to typical and recently traditional gender traits, beliefs, and cultural things, like fashion. Their confidence is much more attractive than men who get all bent out of shape over seeing another man wearing nail polish, or displaying other atypical male gender looks and behavior. The latter is a big turnoff for me.

SuddenStorm

I laugh that half the songs I sang as a kid (in the 80s) were about sex and drugs and I had no idea.

Ha! There's a few songs I loved growing up I revisited as an adult and was like.... woah. But because it wasn't overt, young me wasn't educated enough to understand the lyrics.
They were clean compared to todays lyrics though, back then it was mostly innuendo, now it’s just graphic and crude.

Seriously! Not to mention, innuendo is fun, but stuff like WAP is just filth. There was mild controversy when Black Eyed Peas released My Humps, but my goodness modern pop puts that to shame.
Comparing rap from back then to today is shocking also, comparing 2-pac to modern rap is like a poet vs an illiterate.

That was the point I was trying to make, thank you for iterating it far more clearly than I could.

Californian Elitist

I have no complaints about raunchy music- I just think it should be nowhere near the Disney Brand.

If someone is primarily known for being a musician with explicit music, they should not be hired to act for Disney. Him being gay is irrelevant, as is whether or not I've seen the film.

Branding is essential here. Tons of actors/actresses have produced content that Disney wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole- but if their brand transcends that, and it isn't their primary reputation then they're fine. This Jaboukie dude isn't there yet.

Wait... are you telling me Eminem, Dre, and Snoop aren't wholesome family entertainment? Dang. Not sure what I've been listening to all these years. :rolleyes:
Jaboukie is NOT representing the Disney brand. He did one gig with them. That’s it. It’s taken weeks for y’all to even have a smidge of a clue as to who he is. He doesn’t represent Disney.

I’m not sure what you’ve been listening to all these years either. Anyways, again, no need to take cues from TP. Judge based on your own experience, not his.

☺️♥️

SuddenStorm

Jaboukie is NOT representing the Disney brand. He did one gig with them. That’s it. It’s taken weeks for y’all to even have a smidge of a clue as to who he is. He doesn’t represent Disney.

He had one gig with Disney that bombed, and the last few weeks we've been trying to dissect the myriad of reasons why that is. Jaboukie's raunchy music might contribute to that, even if it's not the primary reason. I still believe the primary reason is Disney's horrific marketing of the film- which allowed the public narrative to focus on all the wrong things about the movie.
I’m not sure what you’ve been listening to all these years either.
I've been listening to the soundtrack of Are We There Yet, which I believed until our exchange to be Ice Cube's defining work. Imagine my horror a few minutes ago when I googled '90s rap' and Ice Cube came up associated with other non family friendly music :eek::eek::eek:.
Anyways, again, no need to take cues from TP. Judge based on your own experience, not his.

☺️♥️

I believe my original post which started our exchange was me saying I would look up his music, so that I could judge based on my own experience.

Californian Elitist

He had one gig with Disney that bombed, and the last few weeks we've been trying to dissect the myriad of reasons why that is. Jaboukie's raunchy music might contribute to that, even if it's not the primary reason. I still believe the primary reason is Disney's horrific marketing of the film- which allowed the public narrative to focus on all the wrong things about the movie.

I've been listening to the soundtrack of Are We There Yet, which I believed until our exchange to be Ice Cube's defining work. Imagine my horror a few minutes ago when I googled '90s rap' and Ice Cube came up associated with other non family friendly music :eek::eek::eek:.

I believe my original post which started our exchange was me saying I would look up his music, so that I could judge based on my own experience.
….

Jaboukie’s music likely had very little to absolutely nothing to do with the film’s performance. This is past ridiculous now.

But you insinuated that his music was “junk,” despite having never heard it, probably because TP doesn’t like it. That’s my point.

LittleBuford

He had one gig with Disney that bombed, and the last few weeks we've been trying to dissect the myriad of reasons why that is.
Except that isn’t what’s going on here. One reason—homosexuality—is being dissected in myriad and increasingly farfetched ways. It’s strange (!) to me that those who claim to be tired of Disney pushing a gay “agenda” are the ones most intent on making everything about gayness.

LittleBuford

I was just offering another possible clue to why Strange World failed. I’m sure millions of concerned parents knew of Mr. Young-White’s unfortunate foray into drag and decided to boycott the film as a result. It’s just another piece in the puzzle we’re trying to dissect.

Californian Elitist

I was just offering another possible clue to why Strange World failed. I’m sure millions of concerned parents knew of Mr. Young-White’s unfortunate foray into drag and decided to boycott the film as a result. It’s just another piece in the puzzle we’re trying to dissect.
The potential reasons thrown out have gotten more bizzarre.

I actually look forward to watching the movie and discussing my thoughts about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom