'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

LittleBuford

I sure do love homes I wonder what kind of decor would fit in one?

Hmmmm

Maybe furniture

interior design architecture GIF by ArchDaily

IDK though, seems controversial...
Wallpaper in the toilet!

2862eaece09abb8e9dd3c37bed1d03bc.jpg

BuddyThomas

The Disney theme parks are among the campest places on earth. Princesses, parades, "magic", and a bunch of very obviously queer CMs. I have no idea how some of the people posting here can be so blind to the gayness that already surrounds them at WDW.
They are the same ones who love the content that gay people added to the Disney legacy such as Howard Ashman (Beauty and the beast, Aladdin, Little Mermaid) and many others but god forbid there be a couple of minutes of a gay character in a movie. This site has always been packed with homophobes. Ugh.

LittleBuford

Aye, and that's the rub. It really pains me to think that the American (worldwide?) public won't let Disney break out of its childish box even a little without punishing them for it. I have really enjoyed the vast majority of Disney (and Pixar's) recent animated output, but I also like more complicated fare than most. [Note that I am not saying in any way that something like Lightyear or Strange World is actually complicated, just that it's not as simple as the public's expectations.] The trick, if they want to keep on the current course, is managing to do both in the same story, and the recent movies are lacking much of a kid-facing hook to engage that demographic. I think Sox could/should have been that in Lightyear, but Strange World doesn't really have it at all.
I think classic Pixar already struck the balance you're asking for. Up and Inside Out are especially good examples.

mickEblu

The Disney theme parks are among the campest places on earth. Princesses, parades, "magic", and a bunch of very obviously queer CMs. I have no idea how some of the people posting here can be so blind to the gayness that already surrounds them at WDW.

Why are princesses, parades and magic Gay? You don’t get to claim that stuff. And how does Gay people existing in the world and doing their jobs relate to the point I’ve been making about the PG movies?

brideck

I think classic Pixar already struck the balance you're asking for. Up and Inside Out are especially good examples.

Agreed. I almost invoked a number of those movies in my statement. John Lasseter cannot be the only person on the planet capable of shaping a story to do this, can he?

The alternative is that you have to find a way to market a movie as NOT being explicitly for 5-year olds and then figure out how to get people to go see it. In a post-March 2020 theatrical market, that seems nigh impossible to do.

Wendy Pleakley

Why is it disgusting that I don’t want that stuff In rated PG animated children’s films?

Because kids can handle the presence of gay characters just fine and the double standard that a gay relationship is any different than a straight relationship is homophobic.

A prince and princess in a relationship is the same as a prince and a prince, in terms of age appropriateness.

brideck

Why is it disgusting that I don’t want that stuff In rated PG animated children’s films?

You keep emphasizing the PG rating. Is 13 when kids are old enough to suddenly know about gay people? Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

In neither of the two movies primarily being discussed is anyone's gayness particularly front and center or truly even important to the plot -- it's just simply there. One could argue that this is even a weak point of Strange World, as the grandpa (who is portrayed as a real rough-and-tumble survivalist type) doesn't even blink or even really acknowledge his grandson's homosexuality when he mentions it to him. Good from the perspective of normalization, probably not a particularly three-dimensional characterization, though. But then, having an added conversation there would have made the movie more about being gay, which contrary to popular belief, Disney is probably actually trying to avoid.

mickEblu

You keep emphasizing the PG rating. Is 13 when kids are old enough to suddenly know about gay people? Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

In neither of the two movies primarily being discussed is anyone's gayness particularly front and center or truly even important to the plot -- it's just simply there. One could argue that this is even a weak point of Strange World, as the grandpa (who is portrayed as a real rough-and-tumble survivalist type) doesn't even blink or even really acknowledge his grandson's homosexuality when he mentions it to him. Good from the perspective of normalization, probably not a particularly three-dimensional characterization, though. But then, having an added conversation there would have made the movie more about being gay, which contrary to popular belief, Disney is probably actually trying to avoid.

I think PG 13 would be a better cut off. By 13 it’s more natural to have that discussion with your child. But I don’t think it should be in any Disney full length animated feature. But they would never make one of those movies PG 13 anyway so kind of a moot point. I think it’s confusing for young kids.

Vegas Disney Fan

Does anyone think this movie would have been successful if the son had a crush on a girl instead of a boy?

There’s so much focus on gay this or gay that people seem to be overlooking that the movie wasn’t very good, same with Lightyear.

Add a secondary gay character in a quality movie like Inside Out and I don’t think anyone even cares (Oaken in Frozen For example), the simple truth is Disney is making bad movies right now, their inclusion key timing just makes for an easy target.

A few days ago someone shared a quote from Disney saying they are foregoing good scripts if they don’t meet their inclusion standards, that “gay aspect” may be affecting quality but I don’t think a couple minute of secondary characters carries the weight many think it does.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom