Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

WDW1974

Can you give specifics about what makes it a disaster?

I mean typically I feel like you and I are on the same page but this was nothing more than a meet and greet, right? ... I mean what did we really expect? I thought the animatronics looked great but it was never something that I ever thought people outside of Mongello would call "fantastic" ...

I never expected more. But much like the fools comparing the 7DMTC with BTMRR or saying that Fantasyland is on par with Potter, plenty of people were building this up.

It is a glorified meet and greet with a horrible premise, godawful execution and nothing that any adult without children under 8 or a Pixie Dust addiction could find enjoyable and adding value to a MK day.

That is all ...

WDW1974

There's a video of the whole experience up on Youtube taken by someone who was in a test group. Judge for yourself.

Yes, it has been tinkered with since, but I have no idea to what extent ... but I haven;t subjected myself to the video because normally I like to experience things before commenting. But I'll waste 15 miuntes of my life later and then offer more thoughts.

Thanks.

And thanks to the MAGICal Potty Man for linking to it ...

tomman710

I never expected more. But much like the fools comparing the 7DMTC with BTMRR or saying that Fantasyland is on par with Potter, plenty of people were building this up.

It is a glorified meet and greet with a horrible premise, godawful execution and nothing that any adult without children under 8 or a Pixie Dust addiction could find enjoyable and adding value to a MK day.

That is all ...

OK ... then we are on the same page, this is confirmation of what we, in the real world, thought.

Obviously ... people comparing FLE to Potter are not basing arguments in reality, etc.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's the word for a well-respected insider friend of mine who recently experienced the new interactive uber-immersive (yeah, I'm being sarcastic) meet and greet that will surely make everyone forget The Boy Who Lived and Michael Bay's big playthings.

I am under a sorta personal NDA here to said friend, but the attraction is to use the friend's words 'something only the simpering mommy bloggers from the Midwest, your friend Lou, and mentally challenged fans' could find worthy of the money spent ... it has a cool Lumiere AA, a few nice effects yet the whole is once again a WDW trainwreck.'

Once again, it would appear that Disney swung for the infield and the ball simply bounced foul behind the plate. WHOO-HOO, TDO!!!!!
Regardless of what your friend thinks, this meet and greet is certainly the most immersive that has been done in a Disney park. Two animatronics, a detailed queue, a pre show, and more than a love and shove with Belle. Impressive stuff for the target audience, which as we all know, is families with young children. It will be massively popular, and puts most other park meet and greet experiences to shame.

Mawg

It looks really cool but was it worth the cost...hmm. Will this effect future plans for meet and greets?

LithiumBill

That's the word for a well-respected insider friend of mine who recently experienced the new interactive uber-immersive (yeah, I'm being sarcastic) meet and greet that will surely make everyone forget The Boy Who Lived and Michael Bay's big playthings.

I am under a sorta personal NDA here to said friend, but the attraction is to use the friend's words 'something only the simpering mommy bloggers from the Midwest, your friend Lou, and mentally challenged fans' could find worthy of the money spent ... it has a cool Lumiere AA, a few nice effects yet the whole is once again a WDW trainwreck.'

Once again, it would appear that Disney swung for the infield and the ball simply bounced foul behind the plate. WHOO-HOO, TDO!!!!!

Why would you be under a pseudo-NDA when everyone has basically seen the entire experience?

HenryMystic

It's not really a meet and greet. If your purpose is to take a photo with/and or meet Belle, it fails. It's neither a good show nor a good meet and greet, but it is damn pretty and the animatronics are very impressive. It's some crazy concoction between a m&g and a show.

JustInTime

That is all ...
You didn't even know the video was released. LMAO So late. And then you expect us to trust your opinions when you haven't even seen it for yourself? No thank you. Anyway, welcome to the discussion, 74. You've got 13 pages to catch up on.

HenryMystic

You didn't even know the video was released. LMAO So late. And then you expect us to trust your opinions when you haven't even seen it for yourself? No thank you. Anyway, welcome to the discussion, 74. You've got 13 pages to catch up on.
Pretty sure 74 is very busy preparing for his trip to the West Coast for the Emmy's where he'll be hobnobbing with industry folks like the one who he just told us about....

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is a Fantasyland attraction that is targeted towards families with young children. It has clearly been setup in that way. I'm not sure what you were expecting, but it has always been that this would be an elaborate meet and greet session. If this is not something that interests you, the attraction is not for you.

I do feel that it will be an absolute smash hit with the target audience however.

You see I don't remember Disney originally pitching this as a target for families with small children. Maybe, indeed it will be targeted to the very small now. Reflecting back, by age 4 my son would have bulked at Princess nauseum. I haven't seen it, just the videos however the repeat after me and sound effects guest "get" to make, watching little guests run around with cardboard cut outs and pretend to be Beast, does make me wonder how many of repeat visits by the vast majority of guests to the MK will happen.

And yep, I'm sure there will be many, many reviews falling over themselves throwing bouquets that Princessland as the best addition since Toy Story. I just can't see this new expansion holding a candle to the Sunset expansion at DHS. Now that was an expansion.

LithiumBill

I bet the first few days of the soft opening had some major hick-ups... but that is why it's a SOFT opening... The replaced the old story-time, correct? IS it better than the old version (we never experienced the old version)? I have to believe it is, by leaps and bounds.

It's not for everyone, that is clear. But neither is Potter...

Buried20KLeague

My thoughts:

• I'm not into meet and greets... In fact, I always find them awkward, personally. But our 3 year old loves them, and this will be good for her.
  • The AA's are incredible. Anyone want to start taking bets on if there's a "B mode" for the shows for when the AA's are down? Because I'm quite sure they won't take down the meet and greet because of it. :oops:
  • I don't like the "kid interaction". Between kids that don't want to get picked that do, and between kids that DO want to get picked and DON'T... Just meh. Seems like it could have easily been done without that and still been interesting.
  • The bookshelves and books on the walls are PAINTED, right? It seems to me after putting all this effort and expense into making these meets authentic, they could have done REAL shelves and books. I can't completely tell on the video though... They might not be painted.
I think it's fine for what it is, and I just hope they keep the effects at a high quality. I'm sure glad we aren't getting a FLE full of these like was first rolled out.

TalkingHead

It's not really a meet and greet. If your purpose is to take a photo with/and or meet Belle, it fails. It's neither a good show nor a good meet and greet, but it is damn pretty and the animatronics are very impressive. It's some crazy concoction between a m&g and a show.

I thought the room after the Mirror portal should have been more spectacular. But other than that, agree with what you said. How about that rushed bit toward the end where the actors are introduced and pause for a second next to Belle? Is that the meet and greet portion? Looked clumsy, but at least the Photopass guy was there to quickly snap their pictures.

HenryMystic

How about that rushed bit toward the end where the actors are introduced and pause for a second next to Belle? Is that the meet and greet portion? Looked clumsy, but at least the Photopass guy was there to quickly snap their pictures.

I think so, and yes, very clumsy and underwhelming as far as meet and greets go.

We'll have to see, but I think the way they're doing it with Mermaid and Snow White is better. You have an attraction and then have a meet and greet attached. That's the best of both worlds.

Imagine preshow rooms to a Belle ride like the stretching rooms with Lumiere talking to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom