Storybook Circus Giggle Gang

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Those aren't the state circus' that I'm on about - Moscow State Circus, China State Circus, etc. - those are the ones I'm on about. Have more of the 'Cirque clown feel', the Ringling Bros which is the first time I've heard of them look ... well terrifying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringling_Bros._and_Barnum_&_Bailey_Circus

Ringling Brothers is the big circus anymore. It's the company left over when PT Barnum's outfit joined up with the Bailey circus in the early 1900s. Take the history of the Circus (in the USA at least) at they are it as far as main players really.

bubbles1812

Pretty big generalization IMO. Personally, I hear Circus, I think clowns first. Also, I think Dumbo, I think Elephants first (which are already represented), then clowns.
I suppose it was but in my general experience, the first thing people say when they here circus is not the word "clown." Now that's not to say people don't think of them eventually, but it just might not be the first thing. I think that could partially be because many circuses today have toned down the use of clowns compared to how it once was.

I understand people not liking clowns. My wife is creeped out by them. I understand that because of that they are something that people might not want in the area. But I think to generalize that clowns are something that most people would highly associated with circuses, is a bit of a stretch.
Going to assume in your last sentence you meant that to assume people don't highly associate clowns with circuses is a bit of a stretch. Again, I'd actually agree with you. Clowns are something associated with circuses but again, I really don't think it's the first thing people think of anymore. The research is out there...it's not just that BBC article... most people don't like clowns, especially children. And considering that this area is especially geared towards the young age set, I think it's kind of a surprise that Disney chose it. They could have gone with a magician or a small acrobatic act or something along those lines, and given the choice, I think most people would take those over a clown troupe

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Going to assume in your last sentence you meant that to assume people don't highly associate clowns with circuses is a bit of a stretch. Again, I'd actually agree with you. Clowns are something associated with circuses but again, I really don't think it's the first thing people think of anymore. The research is out there...it's not just that BBC article... most people don't like clowns, especially children. And considering that this area is especially geared towards the young age set, I think it's kind of a surprise that Disney chose it. They could have gone with a magician or a small acrobatic act or something along those lines, and given the choice, I think most people would take those over a clown troupe

Yeah, sorry for the bad grammar and missed "not" in there, you understood what I was trying to say.

I guess I grew up watching the old Bozo the Clown show on WGN out of Chicago, so to me, I've got a little bit of a clown-centric view of things, and maybe it's why I'm not too creeped out by clowns. My young kids have been exposed to clowns in the form of a great episode of Yo Gabba Gabba where Weird Al brings a circus to Gabbaland and clowns are featured heavily. Also, the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago (geared towards children) has a nice little Circus exhibit which has quite a bit of clown involvement as well. So, I'm hopeful that my kids don't have the same phobia. My wife on the other hand had a bad childhood experience with a creepy hobo clown at a birthday party, so I'm sure if I ask her about this, she'll be on the "no clowns" wagon.

So, it's very possible that I'm the one that is skewed too highly in the directions of Circus = Clowns. I am hopeful that these clowns actually do a variety of acts, like juggling and some mild acrobatics. I did notice that at least one of them is a musical oriented troup "Silly Saxtet", so hopefully there are more than just pies in the face and falling down in store.

Nmoody1

I think it works well, clowns and a circus go together - there are also clowns in dumbo, and when DLP had clowns as part of the Dumbo section of the parade I never saw folks running for the hills! If you don't like clowns, don't go see it. Simple. I agree though, this 'phobia of clowns' does seem completely injust - what about human size mice, ducks and dogs, a lot of kids are probably more scared of mickey than clowns.

On a twisted flip side, can see the folks at universal running with this one - a new fantasyland parallel world of scary clowns, killer mermaids, 'beasts in a castle' for Halloween horror nights this year.... Would be awesome!

SirLink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringling_Bros._and_Barnum_&_Bailey_Circus

Ringling Brothers is the big circus anymore. It's the company left over when PT Barnum's outfit joined up with the Bailey circus in the early 1900s. Take the history of the Circus (in the USA at least) at they are it as far as main players really.

Oh wow they still use animals, virtually all the international circuses like Moscow State and Chinese State don't use animals...anyway seen as they have a circus crew on property - maybe they should go to them on how to modern clowns than these...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I cant imagine a circus section without them.
It's become way too chic to be afraid of clowns. The way I see it, if Disney tells you there's no need to be afraid of clowns, perhaps it will quell that trendy fad of hating them.

Hmmm...my Dads BF lived on the same block as John Wayne Gacey, the clown child mass murderer. He was often outside ready to leave in his clown gear as I played with the Dads BF's children. He creeped me out a decade before he was caught. Not a trendy fad of creepy clowns at all on my part.

midwest_mice

I think the clowns are ok in the area. If they have them in one set area so if people want to avoid them they can, and those people that want to interact with them can approach them in that area. I for one don't mind clowns, but then again: I build and run a haunted house attraction in our town every year and tend to have evil clowns in the final room wheeling a chainsaw chasing people out.:eek:

SirLink

But it's the Greatest Show on Earth! :D

Being from the UK I've never heard of them...been to Moscow State Circus and Chinese State Circus when they have visited near where I live...but not heard of the Ringling Bros...I think its strange they are the only circus to still use exotic animals...

WDWFREAK53

Being from the UK I've never heard of them...been to Moscow State Circus and Chinese State Circus when they have visited near where I live...but not heard of the Ringling Bros...I think its strange they are the only circus to still use exotic animals...

I was joking around because that's their slogan "Greatest Show on Earth" and, having seen it a few times, I disagree.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2012/03/sign-bankslee-449x600.jpg

No Clowns in the sign. Walt had issues with the Union during the making of Dumbo and a strike. Walt, in the making of Dumbo instructed that the workers be depicted as "Clowns" going to go to the boss for a raise. Walt expressed his feelings about labor through the animation of Clowns in Dumbo. When this theme went into Dumbo and the strike ended the comradery of the Dumbo team ended. Bringing the unplanned Clowns now into Storybook is actually a retro tribute to Walt's disdain of Clowns. I guess it is a kinda a cool history of Walt as an employer, inserting clowns into Storybook, a good, real backstory.

Wonder what is next, dragging over the new baby elephant from AK because what is a circus without real animals?

elchippo

Yowzer...I seemed to have pulled some hypersensitive trigger..we go from talking about Storybook Circus to John Wayne Gacy?! Seriously. Be cool, people.

All I meant by my original post was, Disney wouldn't TRY to scare anyone, unless its all in fun and/or good wins in the end....a clown you find in Disney World should be seen as whimsical, friendly and especially harmless...THAT'S what I meant.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
John Wayne Gacy performed as a clown named "Pogo" for children's functions and look what an upstanding and well-adjusted member of society he turned out to be...
Sure, one guy kills a bunch of kids and it ruins the entire profession...

(sarcasm intended)

Sans Souci

Sure, one guy kills a bunch of kids and it ruins the entire profession...

(sarcasm intended)

Yes, I understand what you are saying. It was kind of a snarky joke, but I was also pointing out that maybe one reason people don't like clowns because they are associated with JWG, Pennywise, Killer Clowns, etc...

I think anthropology/evolutionary psychology has an answer here for the fear of clowns. They are different, lurid--they are not "one of us", so they could be a danger to us.

Me, I don't care. I grew up watching Bozo, too, and I always begged my mom to get tickets. I always thought I could kick butt on Bozo Buckets. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Before everyone over reacts about clowns, did you here they are opening a Starbucks on Main Street and serving beer at BOG?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom