Storybook Circus Giggle Gang

The Empress Lilly

I hope you are just being silly, or sarcastic or something. I mean, clowns at a Circus, how weird is that? :)
Horse manure all over Frontierland is a thematic fit, but in very poor taste.

Clowns in circusland is a thematic fit, but in very poor taste.

If pressed, between the two, I might prefer stepping in horse poo over encountering these guys.

doctornick

How is it in poor taste? I can see someone not liking clowns or even being afraid of them, but having clowns performing in a Circus themed environment is a good fit. They add to the color and activity and ambiance. Clowns are pretty much an integral part of a circus and it's not like they'd have trapeze artists or live animals in Storybook Circus so it seems like a reasonable option for streetmosphere.

(And clowns played a pretty big role in Dumbo IIRC which is sort of the guiding franchise to this subland.)

doctornick

Wouldn't an acrobat, a magician and a ringmaster basically provide the same thing - yet negating the Killer Clowns From Outer Space vibe I'm getting?

When I think of quintessential circus acts, the big ones I think of are trapeze artists, lion tamers (well, various animal handlers, but especially lions) and clowns. The former two don't really work for street acts in the middle of an amusement part. Yes, you can have acrobats doing some impressive stuff based on the ground, but the classic circus stuff is in the air -- on a high wire or trapeze.

Clowns certainly fit the ambiance well.

(Also, what would a ringmaster do, in isolation?)

Edit to add that article also mentions this...

Joining the Storybook Circus Giggle Gang is the Silly Saxtet, parading onto the circus grounds with their own unique twist on circus music standards, and featured clown Wowzer, a specialty performer who takes center ring and keeps his audience enthralled with amazing feats of thrills, chills and hilarity.

So, in addition to the clowns, you have a musical group and a "specialty performer" (who is, however, also a clown) who is probably will be doing juggling and the like. So, it's not just the three main clowns performing.

The Empress Lilly

How is it in poor taste? I can see someone not liking clowns or even being afraid of them, but having clowns performing in a Circus themed environment is a good fit. They add to the color and activity and ambiance. Clowns are pretty much an integral part of a circus and it's not like they'd have trapeze artists or live animals in Storybook Circus so it seems like a reasonable option for streetmosphere.

(And clowns played a pretty big role in Dumbo IIRC which is sort of the guiding franchise to this subland.)
Jive-talking Blackface crows with a leader named 'Jim Crow' play a much larger role in Dumbo than clowns. They would still be in poor taste.

And don't underestimate the amount of people with coulrophobia! With good reason, I'm tempted to add, considering the high occurance of paedophilia in clowns.

bubbles1812

By being mean and treating him like crap,

and now you can be just like Dumbo!

Lol. I was just about to say this. Yeah, that's just what everyone wants to be reminded of... The abusive awful clowns, whose only role, and thankfully it was small, was to treat Dumbo like a piece of crud. Super

MickeyPeace

What the heck is happening to MK? Is this for real?

Not one clown but a giggle gaggle? I don't care if it is a circus theme, I never want to see clowns in any place that I love. TDO could have gotten performers like the acrobats or performers, anything but these clowns.

I am not afraid of clowns, I'm embarrassed by them and for them.

SirLink

When I think of quintessential circus acts, the big ones I think of are trapeze artists, lion tamers (well, various animal handlers, but especially lions) and clowns. The former two don't really work for street acts in the middle of an amusement part. Yes, you can have acrobats doing some impressive stuff based on the ground, but the classic circus stuff is in the air -- on a high wire or trapeze.

Clowns certainly fit the ambiance well.

(Also, what would a ringmaster do, in isolation?)

Edit to add that article also mentions this...

So, in addition to the clowns, you have a musical group and a "specialty performer" (who is, however, also a clown) who is probably will be doing juggling and the like. So, it's not just the three main clowns performing.

Actually when I remember the state circuses that used to come in the last 10-15 years. The only animals they had were horses...but whatever.

When they designed the Streetmosphere for DHS they built props in the environment to facilitate the stories of the characters:
  • Having a character who can do back flips, juggle, etc. would provide good energy.
  • Having a magician could do some awesome street magic.
  • A ringmaster well you have that character "big up" the "attractions" in Storybook Circus and going around being proud of "their" Circus.
No it's not just 3 clowns its more...but 'hey ho' I could live with them if they were done like 'Cirque' clowns, however, these Killer Clowns from Outer Space give me the creeps.

Maybe Disney should of read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7189401.stm

Timothy_Q

That playground would indeed be the midway point, both in time and in content, between the good taste - almost sophisticated so - of the classic MK and the ADHD trailer park kids play zone that is much of the current MK.

I'm sorry, but Toon Town Fair as a whole (especially the playground) was never close to being sophisticated. Casey Jr looks one hundred times better and it fits perfectly.

Also, the "gaudiness" of the circus you speak of was always intended by Walt himself for Disneyland.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Maybe they can hire some musical entertainment for the area as well:
masters%20of%20evil2.jpg

Seriously though, I think that I will like this streetmosphere MUCH better than the Royal Ballroom Prince and Princess Teaching Association or whatever that group was called.
I think that kids, and adults will get a laugh or two by some clasically trained clowns doing their thing in the circus area.

dreamscometrue

Horse manure all over Frontierland is a thematic fit, but in very poor taste.

If pressed, between the two, I might prefer stepping in horse poo over encountering these guys.

I suspect that the general public will expect clowns in a Storybook Circus themed area. I can just hear most of my friends who visit WDW every year or two, but are not super fans (like me)...

"Yeah, we went to this new circus area in Magic kingdom, and they didn't even have clowns. I mean it's called a circus. Shouldn't there be clowns? My kids were pretty upset." You laugh, but you know I'm right. :)

SirLink

I suspect that the general public will expect clowns in a Storybook Circus themed area. I can just hear most of my friends who visit WDW every year or two, but are not super fans (like me)...

"Yeah, we went to this new circus area in Magic kingdom, and they didn't even have clowns. I mean it's called a circus. Shouldn't there be clowns? My kids were pretty upset." You laugh, but you know I'm right. :)

Even though kids hate clowns... yeah right ... and even the state circus' that visit the UK - those clowns have less makeup and less gaudy costumes on than this bunch...when I hear the word circus I think, in this order, Ringmaster, Acrobats, Magicians, Clowns.

bubbles1812

Sorry but no. I haven't heard or talked to anyone whatsoever who expects clowns in the circus area. You want circus, and I think as has already been mentioned, people think of the ring leader, lion tamers, trapeze artists, elephants, horses, ect before they think of clowns. I have a really hard time imagining your friends or anyone for that matter saying that. I don't really here any kids clamoring for clowns these days, and I doubt any would be upset they weren't present. As that article from the BBC linked up above said, most children dislike clowns. The are unfamiliar and weird.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Even though kids hate clowns... yeah right ... and even the state circus' that visit the UK - those clowns have less makeup and less gaudy costumes on than this bunch...when I hear the word circus I think, in this order, Ringmaster, Acrobats, Magicians, Clowns.

I dont know, to me they look exactly like the ones that Ringling Brother Barnum and Baily tours with right now
(where these clowns actually come from)
ringlingbros.jpg

Sorry but no. I haven't heard or talked to anyone whatsoever who expects clowns in the circus area. You want circus, and I think as has already been mentioned, people think of the ring leader, lion tamers, trapeze artists, elephants, horses, ect before they think of clowns. I have a really hard time imagining your friends or anyone for that matter saying that. I don't really here any kids clamoring for clowns these days, and I doubt any would be upset they weren't present. As that article from the BBC linked up above said, most children dislike clowns. The are unfamiliar and weird.

Pretty big generalization IMO. Personally, I hear Circus, I think clowns first. Also, I think Dumbo, I think Elephants first (which are already represented), then clowns.

I understand people not liking clowns. My wife is creeped out by them. I understand that because of that they are something that people might not want in the area. But I think to generalize that clowns are something that most people would not highly associate with circuses, is a bit of a stretch.

I'm going to give them a chance to see their act and how they interact in the area before I make up my mind. I'm doing the same with the other Royal players or whatever, which I am MUCH less inclined to like than clowns.

asianway

Maybe they should have Dumbo out for a meet n greet - thats what I would think...

SirLink

I dont know, to me they look exactly like the ones that Ringling Brother Barnum and Baily tours with right now
(where these clowns actually come from)
ringlingbros.jpg

Those aren't the state circus' that I'm on about - Moscow State Circus, China State Circus, etc. - those are the ones I'm on about. Have more of the 'Cirque clown feel', the Ringling Bros which is the first time I've heard of them look ... well terrifying.

Sans Souci

John Wayne Gacy performed as a clown named "Pogo" for children's functions and look what an upstanding and well-adjusted member of society he turned out to be...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom