Storm Riders Replacing SSE??

Lynx04

I am all for coasters at Disney, as long as their is a story behind it and it is themed, not only to the ride, but also to the surrounding area. Basicly, something like Mummy (coaster with show scenes), EE or even The Italian Job at PKI/PCW. They could have all the loops in the world as long as it has Disney Magic to back it up.

I think show scenes on a coaster adds a huge dimension to the coaster that has mostly been untaped by the Theme/Amusement Park industry.

imagineer99

gsimpson said:
I think SSE should keep the same "type" of ride it has now, it is a nice cool place to relax, it has a good message, and it sucks up a huge number of people. Having said that, it is currently if pretty horrible shape, it squeeks and rumbles as though it is in bad shape and it has been years since all the scenes worked completely well.

I really don't understand the rabid anti-coaster sentiment. I dont' want to see Disney become a thrill park like Cedar point or Magic Mountain where they have a far more simply theme "roller coaster in a gravel pit" but I also don't see why Disney can't have a coaster in Epcot. Didn't the original plans call for a Materhorn knock off to be in Japan rethemed as Mt. Fuji? Or is the new view that the people who originally cut the budget for Epcot were showing extreme forsight and wisdom by keeping the evil roller coasters out? (sarcasm)

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I'm not against the roller coaster as a ride format. I'm against building a coaster just to build a coaster. If the story calls for it, go for it!

Here's the deal, I just don't want the focal point of Epcot (Space Ship Earth) to turn into a mindless thrill ride.

Captain Chaos

I actually agree with Thrawn on this... Cedar Point, although I never been there, is not performing well.. Why shoud Disney add coasters just for thrill seekers? These thrill seekers are not makig Six Flags and Cedar Point profitable.. What makes Disney so successful is that Disney appeals to EVERYONE, not just wild and rowdy teenagers looking for a quick thrill.. Don't get me wrong, I love coasters... But Disney should never follow Six Flags and Cedar Point and IOA for that matter... I think, even though these places to make millions, they aren't all that successful...

We also need to remember Cedar Point is more of a locals destination than a vacation destination, so attendance obviously wouldn't be as high as Disney.. But still, a roller coaster in SSE?? NOOOO WAY!!!!

Thrawn, I agree with you buddy....

Thrawn

Account Suspended
dxer07002 said:
We also need to remember Cedar Point is more of a locals destination than a vacation destination, so attendance obviously wouldn't be as high as Disney..

This is the only thing I want to correct. The attendance won't be as high, this is true. However, when you are talking percentages, the exact numbers do not matter. If CP normally draws 2 million, and its up 1%, its drawing 2.2m.

But MK draws 16-17million a year, so 1% for them is at least an extra 1.6m, so 17.6 on the low end, 18.7 on the high end.

yodathefrog

To jump into the Cedar Point discussion...

I would like to see what the attendance and profit is for Cedar Point alone, compared to the rest of Cedar Fair. Geagua Lake is not doing well, and Knott's Berry Farm (another Cedar Fair property) is a hole in the wall. Just because Cedar Fair is down, doesn't neccessarily mean that Cedar Point is. Cedar Point is packed everytime I have been there this summer, but Geagua Lake for the most part (except the Waterpark) is a ghost town. Cedar Fair is down along with the other "coaster" parks. Disney is a vacation destination, Cedar Point is not, it's a day trip park...two totally different things.

darthdarrel

yodathefrog said:
To jump into the Cedar Point discussion...

I would like to see what the attendance and profit is for Cedar Point alone, compared to the rest of Cedar Fair. Geagua Lake is not doing well, and Knott's Berry Farm (another Cedar Fair property) is a hole in the wall. Just because Cedar Fair is down, doesn't neccessarily mean that Cedar Point is. Cedar Point is packed everytime I have been there this summer, but Geagua Lake for the most part (except the Waterpark) is a ghost town. Cedar Fair is down along with the other "coaster" parks. Disney is a vacation destination, Cedar Point is not, it's a day trip park...two totally different things.
Not only that, but While MK is open year round Cedar point is only open in the summer and early fall.

lscott933

they already have a ride like that in orlando. it is at unv. studio's it called twister. they would be the same i would think if they were do it there at disney

Thrawn

Account Suspended
darthdarrel said:
Not only that, but While MK is open year round Cedar point is only open in the summer and early fall.

Still doesn't matter. Percentages. Not exact numbers.

lscott: Twister is a show, not a ride.

khale1970

Thrawn said:
This is the only thing I want to correct. The attendance won't be as high, this is true. However, when you are talking percentages, the exact numbers do not matter. If CP normally draws 2 million, and its up 1%, its drawing 2.2m.

But MK draws 16-17million a year, so 1% for them is at least an extra 1.6m, so 17.6 on the low end, 18.7 on the high end.

One thing you will learn when you get older is that 1% of 2 million is 20,000 (not 200,000), and 1% of 16 - 17 million is 160,000 - 170,000 (not 1.6m to 1.7m).

wdwishes2005

imagineer99 said:
Oh, don't misunderstand me. I'm not against the roller coaster as a ride format. I'm against building a coaster just to build a coaster. If the story calls for it, go for it!

Here's the deal, I just don't want the focal point of Epcot (Space Ship Earth) to turn into a mindless thrill ride.

i don't want disney to slap a non-themed coaster there either, i would like one very thoughfully themed and planned out.

nelsonj3

imagineer99 said:

Exactly. I also agree with you and Thrawn about the need for Disney Theme Park Coasters to be properly themed and not just painted a certain color with a sign slapped on the front. I think the theming for EE looks outstanding. I don't even care if it's the fastest, longest, tallest, etc... It just needs to be themed to an outstanding degree to fit into a Disney Park.

Tigger1988

I personally think Disney is better off without all these huge coasters. Here in Jersey we have Kingda-Ka, the biggest coaster in the world and I don't think its even been open 70% of the summer. Its always closed.

jcat2312

imagineer99 said:
Yeah, I do. I understand that the majority of the population wants a "quick fix." However, the more intelligent guest wants something more...

I'd say that a lot of members on this site feel the same way as myself. :wave:

Well said!

wdwishes2005

Tigger1988 said:
I personally think Disney is better off without all these huge coasters. Here in Jersey we have Kingda-Ka, the biggest coaster in the world and I don't think its even been open 70% of the summer. Its always closed.

it had a very bad break, it was one of its first days, and i doubt if it will be operational very soon.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
khale1970 said:
One thing you will learn when you get older is that 1% of 2 million is 20,000 (not 200,000), and 1% of 16 - 17 million is 160,000 - 170,000 (not 1.6m to 1.7m).

I stand corrected. Thats what happens when you are sitting in a pool on a laptop trying to post and calculate in your head.

Also makes a lot more sense, I was writing that thinking ... wow Disney has a huge increase every year.

Nice jab, too.

wdwishes2005

Thrawn said:
I stand corrected. Thats what happens when you are sitting in a pool on a laptop trying to post and calculate in your head.

Also makes a lot more sense, I was writing that thinking ... wow Disney has a huge increase every year.

Nice jab, too.

wow! your brave, i wouldn't be within a hundred yards of a pool with a laptop... i guess im just over protective of my stuff.....

khale1970

Thrawn said:

Nice jab, too.

In a pool with a laptop. You might be my hero if you can do that without frying the thing.

Anyways, I was just pulling your chain a bit. I almost didn't since it was my very first post on this board, but I couldn't stop myself.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Haven't fried it yet. ::knock on wood::

Bigger problem than the water is that LCDs are so painfully hard to see in the sun.

As soon as I can get my hands on a slingbox, I might never have to get out of the pool.

(A slingbox hooks up to your TV and network and lets you send your TV to any computer you want, anywhere in the world- www.slingmedia.com)

BTW, khale, I would have done the same thing.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wdwishes2005 said:
it had a very bad break, it was one of its first days, and i doubt if it will be operational very soon.

I haven't heard the story about the breakdown, what exactly happened? After seeing Kingda Ka in action in RCT3, I am thinking about making a trip down to ride it ... But its so tough to want to go to ride a single ride then make the 2hr trip back up =/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom