STOLPort resort rumor

kaos

Original Poster
GLENDALE, CA- The Walt Disney Co. today announced plans for a new theme resort for their Orlando, FL vacation resort. The resort, to feature an underground walk-through aquarium, will be built on the land that is currently being used as a staging area for the Walt Disney World Bus system, and a former landing strip that was originally built for Walt Disney's private airplane, Mickey Mouse 1. The resort is also to feature a water park themed after a "classic old fashioned river waterin' hole". Target completion date is set for Summer 2009.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

My brother said he found this story on the web.. I can't find it, and he didn't have a link...

HELP!!!!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Sounds like the Living Seas & River Country. I wouldn't believe it. And...isn't the Stoloport (old landing strip) too close to Wilderness lodge/Contemporary for another resort?

:veryconfu

kaos said:
GLENDALE, CA- The Walt Disney Co. today announced plans for a new theme resort for their Orlando, FL vacation resort. The resort, to feature an underground walk-through aquarium, will be built on the land that is currently being used as a staging area for the Walt Disney World Bus system, and a former landing strip that was originally built for Walt Disney's private airplane, Mickey Mouse 1. The resort is also to feature a water park themed after a "classic old fashioned river waterin' hole". Target completion date is set for Summer 2009.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

My brother said he found this story on the web.. I can't find it, and he didn't have a link...

HELP!!!!

Tim G

kaos said:

HELP!!!!
The only problem is, that Glendale, Ca. doesn't announce a new attraction... Main Office will... So I guess you mean Burbank! :p

Back to the topic... it sounds nice... but I doubt it... never heard anything about this... nah... don't think so... I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, if I were you... :lookaroun

And about that link?? It wouldn't surpriseme, if it came from ScreamScape or Jim Hill..
Those two always have a very vivid imagination... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a stretch of the imagination, but I don't doubt another theme park being built sometime in the near future. Hopefully, the tourism industry will support another theme park!!

"Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causin' some trouble upstream. We'll be underway shortly..."

kaos

Original Poster
Corrus said:
And about that link?? It wouldn't surpriseme, if it came from ScreamScape or Jim Hill..

Is this an appropriate time for me to put in my usual Jim Hill Sucks??:kiss:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Casts mind back a few months to the resort rumour on this very bit of land....

Fallen Angel - a resort would go here. As discussed in the previous thread;

plans are in place to alter the road system around here

plans are also in place to allow space for a monorail station on the Epcot beam

This land is designated future resort development.

Hmm.....

CoffeeJedi

i guess anything's possible, but a water(ocean?)-themed deluxe resort?
aren't they already having trouble filling all the deluxe rooms they have?

and an "ol' fashioned swimmin' hole"? been there, done that, shut it down years ago

MaryMcMagic

While a far fetched idea, it works...The first thing that popped into my head was the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas. They have a system of pools, water slides, grottos, and aquariums all intertwined that you can walk around, through, under, etc. While the rumor may be just that- A rumor-- the resort is a kinda cool idea.

ArielBelle

CoffeeJedi said:
i guess anything's possible, but a water(ocean?)-themed deluxe resort?
aren't they already having trouble filling all the deluxe rooms they have?

and an "ol' fashioned swimmin' hole"? been there, done that, shut it down years ago

yes but rumors have been running around saying there must be a reason it was never fully demolished...and i remember a post awhile back (anyone feel like searchin for it?) that showed the STOLport strip and river country and their relation to eachother..

i liked the rumor back then, and i like it even more now.

ArielBelle

maisco30 said:
While a far fetched idea, it works...The first thing that popped into my head was the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas. They have a system of pools, water slides, grottos, and aquariums all intertwined that you can walk around, through, under, etc. While the rumor may be just that- A rumor-- the resort is a kinda cool idea.

that's exactly what i thought of...a very cool place if you ask me and an experience in a hotel that disney doesn't have!

Dr Albert Falls

Your brother is pulling your leg (or he got suckered himself).

There are so many things wrong with this hoax.

*Disney NEVER sends out just a written press release for something this significant. At the very least, they would also include conceptual drawings (why bother announcing it if they cannot announce it in a BIG way?) Also, something this important would certainly be unveilled at a choreographed press event.

*The fake news release incorrectly states that WDW is "their Orlando, FL resort". It ain't Orlando. It's Lake Buena Vista. Disney is well aware of that.

*The dateline of the article would NEVER read "Glendale, CA". Anything announced for the Florida property is given a "Lake Buena Vista, FL" dateline. Even the Pirates re-hab press releases were individually released from both "Lake Buena Vista" and "Anaheim", even though the Imagineers in Glendale are doing the work.

*Any press release intended for the general public would NEVER refer to such obscure locations as the airstrip. Who would care? Who would know where that is? It would say something more like "near the Magic Kingdom" or "adjacent to Disney's Wilderness Lodge resort".

*Disney is NOT building any new hotels anytime soon. Remember how "Pop Century" sat vacant for more than a year after 9-11? Tourism is STILL not back to pre-911 levels. In fact, there are still several vacant "Pop Century" buildings that would open LONG before an entirely new resort.

*Disney officials have said their target area of growth is DVC (timeshares). They'll open a new timeshare resort before a generic hotel (and a press release would certainly mention whether the resort is for ownership property).

*Do I need to continue?

rob_b

Last weeks Mousetunes podcast mentioned that Stoloport may be the next DVC resort. This resort would be a stop on the EPCOT monorail. Announcement would be in October. Not sure if true.

cdunbar

Ok here is my question what did they do with the River Country property? I mean is everything just sittin there collecting dust and grime or whats the deal?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
cdunbar said:
Ok here is my question what did they do with the River Country property? I mean is everything just sittin there collecting dust and grime or whats the deal?

You are correct sir (or madam) it's rotting right now.

brisem

Dr Albert Falls said:
Your brother is pulling your leg (or he got suckered himself).

There are so many things wrong with this hoax.

*Disney NEVER sends out just a written press release for something this significant. At the very least, they would also include conceptual drawings (why bother announcing it if they cannot announce it in a BIG way?) Also, something this important would certainly be unveilled at a choreographed press event.

*The fake news release incorrectly states that WDW is "their Orlando, FL resort". It ain't Orlando. It's Lake Buena Vista. Disney is well aware of that.

*The dateline of the article would NEVER read "Glendale, CA". Anything announced for the Florida property is given a "Lake Buena Vista, FL" dateline. Even the Pirates re-hab press releases were individually released from both "Lake Buena Vista" and "Anaheim", even though the Imagineers in Glendale are doing the work.

*Any press release intended for the general public would NEVER refer to such obscure locations as the airstrip. Who would care? Who would know where that is? It would say something more like "near the Magic Kingdom" or "adjacent to Disney's Wilderness Lodge resort".

*Disney is NOT building any new hotels anytime soon. Remember how "Pop Century" sat vacant for more than a year after 9-11? Tourism is STILL not back to pre-911 levels. In fact, there are still several vacant "Pop Century" buildings that would open LONG before an entirely new resort.

*Disney officials have said their target area of growth is DVC (timeshares). They'll open a new timeshare resort before a generic hotel (and a press release would certainly mention whether the resort is for ownership property).

*Do I need to continue?

Well said Dr

Lee

Adventurer
Not true....yet.
That's what makes this fake news so clever...it uses an idea with at least a somewhat factual basis.:lol:

Ivan72

CoffeeJedi said:

But the reason it was closed I think had more to do with changes in Florida's health regulations regarding water parks (they were using bay lake water). River Country it seemed, remained very popular with guests. It filled to capacity very early on many days as it wasn't very large, but the concept was neat.

MickeyTigg

Corrus said:
Back to the topic... it sounds nice... but I doubt it... never heard anything about this... nah... don't think so... I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, if I were you... :lookaroun

Actually...Lou Mongello at Disney World Trivia and the Mouse Tunes podcast is running around claiming he's got a Disney source claiming the STOLport is going to be turned into a DVC resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom