Stitch's Great Escape replacement?

Jasonflz

In the Deja Vu all over again department:

NASA's current plans (budgetary fistfight's aside) call for the Moon in 2020, Mars in 2030 (I think).

So, revamped versions of Flight to the Moon or Mission to Mars in their old location would be futuristic attractions.

Not Imagineering, just a thought.:)

Not a bad idea. Unfortunately Tomorrowland deals more with the future that is never happening (i.e. robots and aliens with teleportation and time travel).

Also, there already is Mission Space in Epcot. People would complain that there are two similar rides in two seperate parks.

You have a great point though...

Jasonflz

I don't see a Mission to Mars attraction coming with Mission: Space existing elsewhere on property, and who cares about the moon these days?

If any character tie in is going to be done it'll be Wall-E. Unless TRON: Legacy does big business and they can think of a way to squeeze in an attraction there (which is unlikely).

I say either bring back AE, or redo the script for the current attraction. I'm sure a decent re-write could be done to make the attraction worthwhile. I'll even volunteer to do it if necessary.

Why even bother with a character tie-in?:shrug: Those are what make rides only more outdated. I agree with bringing back AE or even a completely original show.

EPCOT Explorer

I don't see a Mission to Mars attraction coming with Mission: Space existing elsewhere on property, and who cares about the moon these days?

If any character tie in is going to be done it'll be Wall-E. Unless TRON: Legacy does big business and they can think of a way to squeeze in an attraction there (which is unlikely).

I say either bring back AE, or redo the script for the current attraction. I'm sure a decent re-write could be done to make the attraction worthwhile. I'll even volunteer to do it if necessary.

I absolutely hate that attitude...:lol: We SHOULD be caring about the moon. There's a ton to learn about up there. Hopefully with our return to the moon, more people will come to realize that there are resources and solutions just waiting for us.

As for a Moon Ride in TL?...It would have fit before 1994. Now, I don't know how you would put that in a SciFi TL.:shrug:

EPCOT, anyone?:lookaroun

Jasonflz

^ :lol: It's called Mission Space. It may not be the moon but that certain red neighbor is pretty interesting too.

I think we should care alot more about the new "Space Hotel" that will open 2012.

Animaniac93-98

Why even bother with a character tie-in?:shrug: Those are what make rides only more outdated. I agree with bringing back AE or even a completely original show.

Original shows are great, but never done these days. The only way to get something done with the parks given the sales pitch attitude to attraction making is to do a character tie in, preferably one that has proven to make money. If people want something to replace Stitch they're going to have to give an example of something else that's both sci-fi oriented and successful.

As much as people should be educated about the moon I doubt Tomorrowland would be a good place to do it. Even a comedic retro-sci-fi spin on Flight to the Moon sounds like a questionable use of space, given the advancements made to simulator and video attractions since 1967 (when it debuted at Disneyland). Not to mention the potential waste with getting rid of the current theater seats and binural audio speakers the make the attraction as is unique.

I still stand by what I said.

EPCOT Explorer

Original shows are great, but never done these days. The only way to get something done with the parks given the sales pitch attitude to attraction making is to do a character tie in, preferably one that has proven to make money. If people want something to replace Stitch they're going to have to give an example of something else that's both sci-fi oriented and successful.

As much as people should be educated about the moon I doubt Tomorrowland would be a good place to do it. Even a comedic retro-sci-fi spin on Flight to the Moon sounds like a questionable use of space, given the advancements made to simulator and video attractions since 1967 (when it debuted at Disneyland). Not to mention the potential waste with getting rid of the current theater seats and binural audio speakers the make the attraction as is unique.

Not to me, especially with what I underlined.:lookaroun:lol:

Pens24

If there is anyone out there who likes SGE,you can join the "I Don't Mind Stitch's Great Escape Club" social group on this site.

Thought I'd toss that out there.:lookaroun

I don't mind this ride...it's not my favorite attration or even up there but it's not as bad as what people make it out to be

Jasonflz

Sadly this is true. I do think, however, that if it is done right people will come. Unfortunately the space itself has nothing going for it and has alway's had problems. I still am hoping to see AE make a comeback. That would draw in a multitude of older visitors and could get it long lines. At least AE appealed to a crowd. SGE fails to appeal to it's intended audience.

If there is one thing SGE does right is the special effects. The technology used is very impressive. Such a shame to see it go to waste on a pooly written attraction like this. I bet Disney could incorporate the guns and lasers into AE.

imagineer boy

If there is one thing SGE does right is the special effects. The technology used is very impressive. Such a shame to see it go to waste on a pooly written attraction like this. I bet Disney could incorporate the guns and lasers into AE.

Yeah, when I frist went on SGE I was going the whole time, "Shoot! Some of these effects would've been awesome on AE." :lol:

SeaCastle

I never walked off this ride thinking "putting Disney's name on this insults the company". It's not an attraction I go out of the way for, but I don't get all the hubbub. That is, of course, my opninion.

EPCOT Explorer

Sadly this is true. I do think, however, that if it is done right people will come. Unfortunately the space itself has nothing going for it and has alway's had problems. I still am hoping to see AE make a comeback. That would draw in a multitude of older visitors and could get it long lines. At least AE appealed to a crowd. SGE fails to appeal to it's intended audience.

Agreed ind full! :D It looks and is great...it just needs to be original. Maybe LIKE AE but less scary.:shrug:

headhoncho34

Original Poster
Hopefully management notices that the attraction has very low attendance and will arrange plans to remove it and replace it with a far superior attraction.

wbc

IMO, I think that's why Disney was always smart by using their own characters on park attractions.

Looking back before the mid-late-90s, Disney World seemed like it was almost apart from Disneyania in general.

The attractions had their own characters, their own stories, their own histories..... they were not featured anywhere else, on any films, etc. If you hadn't been to Disney World, you don't know who Dreamfinder and Figment is.

Think about it.... there was Pirates and Haunted mansion before the movies, Dream Finder & Figment, Country Bears before the movies, etc. There were attractions like Dreamflight and Alien Encounter that had nothing to do with any Disney movie.

Now it seems that Disney wants to use movies in the attractions and vice versa. In my opinion, I think this is recipe for disaster. Tieing in movies is fine if it's a time standing classic that will never die like Snow White or Cinderella.... but Monsters, Inc. A Bug's Life, and Cars is a different story.

I also believe that the particular showcase of that building may be hard to work with for an imagineer. I will say that SGE is better than Mission to Mars. You have to have an attraction that allows an entire room to focus on a very small central showpiece.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom