Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Jeff456

I get the impression that sticking Tron down was the answer to all of Tomorrowland's current issues as much as I still love it.

pdude81

I get the impression that sticking Tron down was the answer to all of Tomorrowland's current issues as much as I still love it.
As much as you still love Tomorrowland (as is) or Tron?

It would have made more sense if they planned to announce a complete gut and retrack of Space Mountain when Tron was finished. And what a missed opportunity to rework the speedway at the same time. Definitely a cool ride, but it feels like it takes as long to scan in to the world of Tron as it does to ride.

Professortango1

Was there nothing from any of the vast library of Disney IP that could be used to spark a new attraction?
Even going back to older versions of proposed Tomorrowland additions... Plectu's Galactic revue, etc...so many ideas and yet still nothing...What a shame to see the future-forward aspirational land become a mishmash of tired shows and outdated technology...
They can't do Plectu because it doesn't promote a Disney IP. Iger has said they will no longer create original attractions.

And with Disney's live-action film catalogue being underwhelming for decades and back to it after their brief heyday with the Infinity Saga, it means a lack of IPs to draw upon.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Space 220 should have been in the Stitch space... such a missed opportunity to add better unique dinning to MK and re-use the building.
This is actually not a bad idea, although more attractions would be good too. If they would have put 220 in Tomorrowland then they could have bulldozed Mission Space and brought back Horizons. All hail Horizons!!

With 220 attached to Mission Space, and that a cash cow of sorts, we are stuck with that attraction for a minimum of 30 more years.

Unless, we find a way to break it…

Bocabear

As much as you still love Tomorrowland (as is) or Tron?

It would have made more sense if they planned to announce a complete gut and retrack of Space Mountain when Tron was finished. And what a missed opportunity to rework the speedway at the same time. Definitely a cool ride, but it feels like it takes as long to scan in to the world of Tron as it does to ride.
It is ridiculous that the Speedway has not been modernized...They built an all new one for Hong Kong Disneyland...electric cars and even some modest sets...They tore it out when they put in Small World....You know, when they realized that their idea the the Chinese people just wanted restaurants and shops and did not especially care for attractions turned out to be completely wrong and they had to start building in earnest....But what Happened to all the cars and set pieces? If it has been done and worked, perhaps they could revisit the speedway, extend the track to make it actually fun and more of a ride, and theme it properly to Tomorrowland ....for the first time since the park opened in 1971...
If they refuse to address the speedway I would support a complete demolish and use the property for a new type attraction...

Purduevian

This is actually not a bad idea, although more attractions would be good too. If they would have put 220 in Tomorrowland then they could have bulldozed Mission Space and brought back Horizons. All hail Horizons!!

With 220 attached to Mission Space, and that a cash cow of sorts, we are stuck with that attraction for a minimum of 30 more years.

Unless, we find a way to break it…
Not to mention EPCOT has the strongest dinning (Both QS and TS) of all of the 4 parks, while MK TS is probably only behind DHS.

Bocabear

Well..... I think the show scenes need to be redone...with animatronics...Add MORE... The old Space Mountain Speedramp show scenes at one time were two story sets...the upper rooms played more to the people mover... so beautifully planned. What if some of the old Horizons settings were used on the people mover...so there was actually something to look at during the dark tunnels of Space Mountain.... Refreshed and added show scenes would make the People Mover a better attraction...and add to the value of the park... The last real update on the People Mover (and most of tomorrowland) was during the 1994 reimagining... That's when the show scenes on the people mover really began...prior to that, aside from Space Mountain's Home Of future Living display the only other ones were the model of EPCOT and the windows into If You Had Wings...back then Space Mountain also had an overlook into the final queue and you could see the glowing rockets on the track in the main dome....which was pretty cool... More stars back then too....
So, yeah I get the fear for People Mover....especially after Disneyland's debacle.... But they really need to give People Mover's show scenes an upgrade... they need to think of it as the MKs longest dark ride...

DisneyDodo

If they refuse to address the speedway I would support a complete demolish and use the property for a new type attraction...
Yea, I think they should demolish it and let it be annexed by Fantasyland (since they can’t even come up with a Tomorrowland attraction idea to put in the empty building they already have).

They could easily fit 2 dark rides in that plot. Alice would be a natural choice for one next to the teacups.

MagicHappens1971

Yea, I think they should demolish it and let it be annexed by Fantasyland (since they can’t even come up with a Tomorrowland attraction idea to put in the empty building they already have).

They could easily fit 2 dark rides in that plot. Alice would be a natural choice for one next to the teacups.
I've said it before but the Tomorrowland to Fantasyland transition is ghastly. I wish they would demo the Speedway and find a way to make the transition less jarring.

WDWTank

They can't do Plectu because it doesn't promote a Disney IP. Iger has said they will no longer create original attractions.

And with Disney's live-action film catalogue being underwhelming for decades and back to it after their brief heyday with the Infinity Saga, it means a lack of IPs to draw upon.
Did Iger actually say that?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not in so many words, but it's implied from all his public statements aimed at investors that Disney will be more cautious in spending by spending on things already popular (both in the parks and movies).

Also, for years, insiders have been telling us both Bobs have mandated as much through the organization.

Of course, this could lead to stagnation on the film side as they double down on popular sequels and no new IP is being created. But, Disney has a backlog of popular IP that hasn't been fully developed in the parks yet. And once the investors are no longer spooked, they can go back to taking risks on new stories.

lazyboy97o

Not in so many words, but it's implied from all his public statements aimed at investors that Disney will be more cautious in spending by spending on things already popular (both in the parks and movies)
There was an interview years ago where he did just straight up say they were no longer going to make park investments not connected to a franchise. Oddly enough, the movie he used as an example of a good movie that wasn’t a franchise and therefore wouldn’t get an attraction was Ratatouille.

Last edited:

Professortango1

He did. It was during an interview on site rather than at a podium or anything like that. He said that they were no longer going to be making attractions not tied to their current film library. That Disney had done quite a lot to build up its library and that other theme parks would kill for access to these beloved stories and characters so it would be foolish to not capitalize on that.

Kev1982

He did. It was during an interview on site rather than at a podium or anything like that. He said that they were no longer going to be making attractions not tied to their current film library. That Disney had done quite a lot to build up its library and that other theme parks would kill for access to these beloved stories and characters so it would be foolish to not capitalize on that.
He has a point

Professortango1

He has a point
I can see the point of saying we won't pay to license other IPs for our parks anymore, but to say that Disney no longer wishes to create a modern Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Space Mountain is pretty short-sighted.

Theme park attractions are their own artistic medium, and to be so myopic to only seek film as their inspiration means that Disney will constantly be trying to shove a movie shaped peg into a theme park attraction-shaped hole. It can work, but the old school imagineers knew that rides shouldn't be beholden to their film inspirations. From Snow White to Splash Mountain, Disney found great success with focusing on the art of creating a quality theme park attraction first.

With the focus on IPs and being faithful to them for modern audiences, it limits the types of experiences we will be seeing at the parks.

Imagine the wealth of ideas that could happen with Beastly Kingdom. With Avatar, that are pretty boxed in to what they create.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll let Bob know we still don't have sufficiently good and popular sci-fi future films to headline at all the Tomorrowlands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom