Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Kaity1014

This! Absolutely THIS!
It feels like The Walt Disney Company is creatively bankrupt...And I am sure it is just the constant budget cuts and million dollar mistakes (Like the flubbed EPCOT redo ) that are keeping any meaningful development of new attractions on the back burner. It is already too late to try and address Epic Universe...and ignoring it and staying the course of adding nothing and letting attractions remain shuttered might just turn out to be a bad idea...
I keep saying this. It’s like the imagineers have lost their “imagination”. EPCOT was a flop, starcruiser was a flop, journey of water is a snooze, stitch & WOL still empty. Very rarely does disney roll out renderings of projects, and commit to only 10% of it like they did w/ epcot. Imo it seems like alot of the head creatives from disney have switched sides to epic universe and applying what disney is failing to do but making it work (ie, hotel w/ an outer space theme but affordable, tech like the flying dragon over fantasyland expansion opening that one time). Disney has some real competition now & i think they know it (and are shook).

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
This! Absolutely THIS!
It feels like The Walt Disney Company is creatively bankrupt...And I am sure it is just the constant budget cuts and million dollar mistakes (Like the flubbed EPCOT redo ) that are keeping any meaningful development of new attractions on the back burner. It is already too late to try and address Epic Universe...and ignoring it and staying the course of adding nothing and letting attractions remain shuttered might just turn out to be a bad idea...
It's the mandate.

It's a boring option, but I could see Pixar's Elio replacing Stitch. It would fit thematically with the rest of Tomorrowland. This scene from the trailer could be adapted using the existing theater. Cheap and promotes a new IP.

Similar to the once rumored Lightyear overlay of Space Mountain, it would likely depend on box office success.

elio-movie.jpg

bmr1591

I keep saying this. It’s like the imagineers have lost their “imagination”. EPCOT was a flop, starcruiser was a flop, journey of water is a snooze, stitch & WOL still empty. Very rarely does disney roll out renderings of projects, and commit to only 10% of it like they did w/ epcot. Imo it seems like alot of the head creatives from disney have switched sides to epic universe and applying what disney is failing to do but making it work (ie, hotel w/ an outer space theme but affordable, tech like the flying dragon over fantasyland expansion opening that one time). Disney has some real competition now & i think they know it (and are shook).

It's almost like people above them are limiting their abilities with budget cuts and restrained ideation.

Bocabear

It's not even the mandate...they can make amazing attractions that fit into the established themes of the different parks, but the constant budget cuts, bad ideas, and most likely "Design by Committee" I suspect are more the culprits...
Almost like the ones making the final decisions, don't have vision, are not creative, and don't understand the desires of the guests....

Fox&Hound

It's a boring option, but I could see Pixar's Elio replacing Stitch. It would fit thematically with the rest of Tomorrowland. This scene from the trailer could be adapted using the existing theater. Cheap and promotes a new IP.

Similar to the once rumored Lightyear overlay of Space Mountain, it would likely depend on box office success.

elio-movie.jpg
Sadly, I would not hold your breath. Their track record with sci-fi has been pretty poor. Consider Treasure Planet, Meet the Robinsons, Lightyear, Strange World, Chicken Little (aliens), etc. Wall-e and Lili and Stich are the definite outliers.

In the Parks
No
Sadly, I would not hold your breath. Their track record with sci-fi has been pretty poor. Consider Treasure Planet, Meet the Robinsons, Lightyear, Strange World, Chicken Little (aliens), etc. Wall-e and Lili and Stich are the definite outliers.
Treasure Planet is amazing and I would financially contribute to the project if they created an attraction based on it.

It's all about execution and relatable story telling. Wall-e is about falling in love, Lilo and Stitch is about owning a dog. Elio seems to be about imposter-syndrome, a universal experience... for people in their 20s and 30s.

I'm not sure young kids will gravitate towards the film when the crux of the story is something many of us don't think about until adulthood.

With that said, Pixar was given an additional year to make the story work. There's a lot ridding on the film. The various alien characters have great merchandising potential. The aesthetic is a great fit for Tomorrowland. It could be a hit, I'm hoping it is, we'll have to wait and see.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think a lot of people are so fixed on the current design of the space with the seats in the positions they are in and the animatronic in the middle sort of thing...

They don't have to do this old concept again. The creatives could level out the rounded theater and do just about anything with it. Interactive high def screens on the whole outer circle of the theater with some sort of shoot 'em up thing would be fine. Also, unpopular opinion, they could bring back the misplaced Stitch dance party and put it in the air conditioning and have the little tots and tiny kids dancing and having a good time. Dance parties are always a good attraction for the little kids, and it's Disney World. They need a new kiddie ride in Tomorrowland.

Or even better... They could make a Enchanted Tales with Belle kind of experience with Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, or Big Hero 6. Completely gut and re-theme the first holding room into a themed experience (magic mirror room), then re-theme the next holding room into the "practicing for their roles" storytelling experience (wardrobe room), and then the final room where Stitch (whether in costume or Animatronic) comes out and does the storytelling show with the kids. I think this is a wonderful experience over in Fantasyland and you could not have too many of these for the kiddos. Core memory material right there.

It doesn't even have to be Stitch. It can be Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Minnie dressed up as aliens/astronauts, ect. creating a space-themed story.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Most likely going to be an unpopular opinion, but they should really go with a "Fallout" style type of Tomorrowland. Make it seem futuristic but set the timeline of the land in a weird version of the 1960's. Also have songs from that era being the area music, with a disk jockey that's playing the music throughout the land. Taking a page out of Galaxy's Edge, have the disk jockey be a robot, or in this case, S.I.R.
S.I.R. being a DJ... he just plays techno and trip-hop from the '90s.

Bocabear

Dance party for toddlers, another Meet and Greet or a Turtle Talk type experience would be a terrible waste of the building...though I guess, so is sitting vacant...Stitch is not really a good match for Tomorrowland... nor are Monsters...SURELY they could come up with something... This is the leader of creative entertainment and they cannot come up with any ideas that would fit Tomorrowland? What about going to the old discarded ideas like a space ship crash landed in Tomorrowland and play off the "Plectu's Galactic Revue" what was supposed to be part of a remodel from decades ago...There have been so many discarded ideas over the last 40 years, I am sure ANY of them would be better than a Monster comedy club and a shuttered empty building right at the entrance to Tomorrowland....and while they are at it, modernize the Speedway with super futuristic looking cars and added scenic elements... Make it all imaginative and futuristic again....

Homemade Imagineering

Dance party for toddlers, another Meet and Greet or a Turtle Talk type experience would be a terrible waste of the building...though I guess, so is sitting vacant...Stitch is not really a good match for Tomorrowland... nor are Monsters...SURELY they could come up with something... This is the leader of creative entertainment and they cannot come up with any ideas that would fit Tomorrowland? What about going to the old discarded ideas like a space ship crash landed in Tomorrowland and play off the "Plectu's Galactic Revue" what was supposed to be part of a remodel from decades ago...There have been so many discarded ideas over the last 40 years, I am sure ANY of them would be better than a Monster comedy club and a shuttered empty building right at the entrance to Tomorrowland....and while they are at it, modernize the Speedway with super futuristic looking cars and added scenic elements... Make it all imaginative and futuristic again....
Bring Plectu’s to the SGE space at MK and the Carousel Theater at Disneyland, everyone wins

fgmnt

I'd be amenable to moving an interactive theater show to the SGE plot if it meant there was a complete reimagining of what can go in the Timekeeper/Buzz Lightyear/Galaxy Palace Theater Plot. Not holding my breath regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom