Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Buried20KLeague

Technically speaking, almost every project Disney does is fast tracked as the term describes a building process where construction starts before design is complete. It is supposed to be a faster process but it is a very relative term.

I would assume the discussion revolved around the layman's understanding of the idea of fast-tracking. Not the technical definition of the term that likely isn't known by many outside the design and construction industry.

It's a simple idea.

Has Disney ever said "Uh-oh... So-and-so is a huge hit in the theatres (or wherever)! We better get a new ride built in a theme park ASAP, in half the time it usually takes us to do it!"

I can't think of any.

Meanwhile, Potterland at IOA was such a monsterous hit, they designed and built Diagon Alley in record time. They had a hit, they knew it, and they fast-tracked the next project.

That's my point.

Bacon

Technically speaking, almost every project Disney does is fast tracked as the term describes a building process where construction starts before design is complete. It is supposed to be a faster process but it is a very relative term.

It was a theater based on a well established show, so all of the difficult technical work was rather set. Even then, it was not done in time for their to be little-to-no down time for the show.

Using old virtual reality technology just as much better systems are hitting the commercial market would be awful.
True but it would be better then stitch

lazyboy97o

I would assume the discussion revolved around the layman's understanding of the idea of fast-tracking. Not the technical definition of the term that likely isn't known by many outside the design and construction industry.

It's a simple idea.

Has Disney ever said "Uh-oh... So-and-so is a huge hit in the theatres (or wherever)! We better get a new ride built in a theme park ASAP, in half the time it usually takes us to do it!"

I can't think of any.

Meanwhile, Potterland at IOA was such a monsterous hit, they designed and built Diagon Alley in record time. They had a hit, they knew it, and they fast-tracked the next project.

That's my point.
The lay term is still derived from the technical as it is supposed to be the faster process over the more traditional process of designing and then building.

Timelines are very much tied to size of the team. Dragon Alley was not some huge record breaker when it came to time and even now we are seeing Universal's pace slow down as Creative bloats. The whole reason for Frozen Ever After and Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout using existing infrastructure is to better match the really stupid idea of getting attractions in quickly based off of box office performance. Even if the organization issues were overcome, just chasing box office hits is not a good strategy for a completely different storytelling medium and it only reinforces so much of what is broken about Disney's view of themed entertainment.

DisneyJunkie

So......we're going with limited-runs only of SGE, with possibly a changeover to a WIR theme? Between that idea and the one of Guardians taking over Universe of Energy and turning it into a coaster, is this Disney's way of saying they're doing away with themed lands? WIR has nothing to do with the idea behind Tomorrowland, nor does Guardians with educating on earth's energy sources.

SirLink

So......we're going with limited-runs only of SGE, with possibly a changeover to a WIR theme? Between that idea and the one of Guardians taking over Universe of Energy and turning it into a coaster, is this Disney's way of saying they're doing away with themed lands? WIR has nothing to do with the idea behind Tomorrowland, nor does Guardians with educating on earth's energy sources.

Stich/Monsters Inc/Buzz have nothing to do with Tomorrowland either so potato potato

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

It's a simple idea.

I can't think of any.

That's my point.

Sure, Disney fast-tracks rides based on huge movie hits all the time! They did that with Stitc... Hmmm... There's Nem... Well, they fast-tracked a ride based on Guardi... They definitely did that with Froz... Ummm...

So you're saying Disney has not and continues to not take advantage of huge hit movies in the parks by fast-tracking rides based on those movies? I'd say that's a slam-dunk argument.

Rob562

Between that idea and the one of Guardians taking over Universe of Energy and turning it into a coaster, is this Disney's way of saying they're doing away with themed lands? WIR has nothing to do with the idea behind Tomorrowland, nor does Guardians with educating on earth's energy sources.

What did "America the Beautiful" CircleVision or "If You Had Wings" have to do with "tomorrow"?

The MK "Tomorrowland" theme was rather watered down right from the start...

-Rob

lazyboy97o

What did "America the Beautiful" CircleVision or "If You Had Wings" have to do with "tomorrow"?

The MK "Tomorrowland" theme was rather watered down right from the start...

-Rob
Transportation, travel and leisure time have a long history as being components of futurism.

Professortango1

Great, WDW has so many attractions already... It might not be a great attraction, but Magic Kingdom doesn't have the attraction count to be closing rides without replacing them. It's almost a half day park as it is.

dweezil78

Transportation, travel and leisure time have a long history as being components of futurism.

True... but hard to argue that both of those attractions had virtually nothing to do with the future. I totally loved them and miss them, but eh, not very futuristic or forward thinking!

Bairstow

I hope it's not VR, the rate technology is changing anything they put in will seem archaic within a few years, more Yesterdayland than Tomorrowland.

Didn't Carousel Of Progress teach them anything?

Depends how quickly they swap out the headsets. If they use off-the shelf units like Six Flags uses on their coasters, they'll be relatively inexpensive to swap out, and probably have a service life measured on months anyway.

The kart ride hardware won't age as fast.

Eh, who am I kidding- Disney would never pay to update the headsets and ride software.

lazyboy97o

True... but hard to argue that both of those attractions had virtually nothing to do with the future. I totally loved them and miss them, but eh, not very futuristic or forward thinking!
How can it be true that travel and leisure were part of futurism and be true that travel and leisure were not part of futurism?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom