Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Bocabear

Sugar Rush definitely leans into the Fantasyland vibe...hence the reason it creates a sort of thematic bridge...not straight on Tomorrowland... and putting Heroes Duty in the old Alien Encounter building makes sense since it does take place in the future...a more grown up version of Buzz Lightyear... The real outlier is Monsters Inc Laugh Floor...It REALLY should be moved to Pixar Studios section of the DHS park, and something really futuristic be put in it's place... Maybe the Astronomers Club that was once thought about for that location and have a real Table service restaurant in Tomorrowland...

mgf

Annex it into Fantasyland with the Speedway's theme transitions from Sugar Rush to Hero's Duty nearer to the Tomorrowland side to keep it kosher. Or develop a new transitional hub area "The Digital Realm" or "The Grid" etc, where guests can either queue up for this, enlist in the Hero's Duty: Troop Transport or gear up for Tron. The idea seems pretty solid to me and I'm usually against IP inclusion. The visual transitions alone should sell it.

It could be pretty fun to *glitch* in between lands while on the actual Speedway.

Kate F

It might seem like an obvious idea to some, but I just can’t picture how Sugar Rush as a replacement for the Speedway would work on a practical level. I feel like no matter how it would be executed, it would stick out like a sore thumb. Not that the Speedway doesn’t already clash with the rest of FL and TL mind you.

The only way I could see it working is if they were to completely gut the Speedway and build it from scratch, but if they were to do that, I’d rather something completely different go in it’s place anyway.

If someone could go further in detail about how this could actually work given what’s currently there, I’d love to hear it.

mgf

I’m not hating on the idea, I’m just having trouble visualizing it is all.

Don't generally armchair imagineer (and at the risk of going off topic) - you would see Sugar Rush themeing from the FL side and Hero's Duty themeing from the TL side. I imagine having several ring/portal points where the ride (via audio and maybe visual effects) would "glitch" you through the scenic transitions as you crossed back and forth through perspectives.

WDWFREAK53

Sugar Rush definitely leans into the Fantasyland vibe...hence the reason it creates a sort of thematic bridge...not straight on Tomorrowland... and putting Heroes Duty in the old Alien Encounter building makes sense since it does take place in the future...a more grown up version of Buzz Lightyear... The real outlier is Monsters Inc Laugh Floor...It REALLY should be moved to Pixar Studios section of the DHS park, and something really futuristic be put in it's place... Maybe the Astronomers Club that was once thought about for that location and have a real Table service restaurant in Tomorrowland...

On a broad definition of Fantasyland maybe...but I look at Fantasyland as being regal. This is where the royalty lives. The castle walls surround the courtyard...and just outside of the courtyard you have the forest, mountains, and sea. Plopping in Sugar Rush just seems out of place. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of a Sugar Rush attraction and think an overlay with some really nice screen tech/small physical sets would be a major step in the right direction...but does a video game with a theme of candyland fit in the current Fantasyland or Tomorrowland? It's more of the exterior that I'm concerned about...if they forget the Sugar Rush theme on the exterior and blend it with the current lands, I'm all for whatever Sugar Rush ride they want to put on the inside.

Bender123

On a broad definition of Fantasyland maybe...but I look at Fantasyland as being regal. This is where the royalty lives. The castle walls surround the courtyard...and just outside of the courtyard you have the forest, mountains, and sea. Plopping in Sugar Rush just seems out of place. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of a Sugar Rush attraction and think an overlay with some really nice screen tech/small physical sets would be a major step in the right direction...but does a video game with a theme of candyland fit in the current Fantasyland or Tomorrowland? It's more of the exterior that I'm concerned about...if they forget the Sugar Rush theme on the exterior and blend it with the current lands, I'm all for whatever Sugar Rush ride they want to put on the inside.

Regal...you know, like Toad, Peter Pan and Dumbo...

Bender123

Toad is gone. Dumbo has been relocated to it's own mini-land. Peter Pan's exterior facade still follows the regal aesthetic.

They all had a façade...You can just keep going at the randomness of Fantasyland. Tea Cups, Philharmagic, etc...

The external theming has been "randomly regal", but the rides are basically whatever thing they fit in. They have a mine in the middle of the courtyard, so I don't think that you can really say the rides and theme is regal, so much as its "fantasy".

HiJe

I'm sure all idea's have been covered by the company, but I always like to come up with ideas to change the entire land. One problem with Tomorrowland has always been that technology catches up with the theme of the attractions and will always need constant updates every 20 years or so. But what if they re-themed the whole area? What would that look like, what rides, restaurants, gift shops would there be?

In the end, I always come back to the idea that they would just turn the whole area into a giant DVC Kiosk.

Bender123

I'm sure all idea's have been covered by the company, but I always like to come up with ideas to change the entire land. One problem with Tomorrowland has always been that technology catches up with the theme of the attractions and will always need constant updates every 20 years or so. But what if they re-themed the whole area? What would that look like, what rides, restaurants, gift shops would there be?

In the end, I always come back to the idea that they would just turn the whole area into a giant DVC Kiosk.

That was the whole idea with the 90s makeover...make a land that looks like a 1950s view of the future, but in a comedic way that is part Jules Verne and part 50s scifi movie. Steampunk would be the closest term.

HiJe

That was the whole idea with the 90s makeover...make a land that looks like a 1950s view of the future, but in a comedic way that is part Jules Verne and part 50s scifi movie. Steampunk would be the closest term.

Totally get it. Lost it a bit with Monsters Inc Laugh Floor I guess. But what about getting away from the glorified futuristic utopia land? Surely there are other land design ideas out there. Future World is dead at Epcot and being replaced with Discovery, Nature, and Celebration. What would be good for Tomorrowland?

Robots would be cool.

Bender123

Totally get it. Lost it a bit with Monsters Inc Laugh Floor I guess. But what about getting away from the glorified futuristic utopia land? Surely there are other land design ideas out there. Future World is dead at Epcot and being replaced with Discovery, Nature, and Celebration. What would be good for Tomorrowland?

Robots would be cool.

You forget that when the land was updated, we had a theme that has slowly broken due to the ride changes.

When it was updated, we had a "city" feel that was mostly connected around a unified theme. Space Mt had the Fed Ex sponsorship and had a wacky theme as a interstellar transport. Monsters was Time Keeper and the Verne influence was undeniable. The Convention Center hosted Alien Encounter and had a similar preshow theme as a comedic future city...the attraction, itself was a different story. The only one that didn't fit, at all, was Take Flight....which got a little better/worse with Buzz Lightyear.

The change to Stitch killed the convention theme. TTA lost the Metroliner theme. SM lost the sitcom/transport preshow. CoP just lost its historicalsociety theme and went back to just being CoP. The switch to Monsters broke the central Verne attraction that tied the theme together. It was a death by 1000 cuts, as little by little, the only part of the theme left was the building design...

HiJe

You forget that when the land was updated, we had a theme that has slowly broken due to the ride changes.

When it was updated, we had a "city" feel that was mostly connected around a unified theme. Space Mt had the Fed Ex sponsorship and had a wacky theme as a interstellar transport. Monsters was Time Keeper and the Verne influence was undeniable. The Convention Center hosted Alien Encounter and had a similar preshow theme as a comedic future city...the attraction, itself was a different story. The only one that didn't fit, at all, was Take Flight....which got a little better/worse with Buzz Lightyear.

The change to Stitch killed the convention theme. TTA lost the Metroliner theme. SM lost the sitcom/transport preshow. CoP just lost its historicalsociety theme and went back to just being CoP. The switch to Monsters broke the central Verne attraction that tied the theme together. It was a death by 1000 cuts, as little by little, the only part of the theme left was the building design...

I do remember all that. It was a great update and the Time Keeper will always be in my memories as being one of the best. I just like to day dream about taking the whole land apart and creating something new and original away from the Tomorrow, Future, Tech, Aliens, Space, themes that has always been there and with very little IP.

Don't get me wrong. I love Tomorrowland and it has always been my favorite place to visit, especially at night. But as you mentioned, it is really disjointed now and the one at DL was a horrible mess when I visited a few years ago.

TrainsOfDisney

But as you mentioned, it is really disjointed now and the one at DL was a horrible mess when I visited a few years ago.

Disneyland still is.... actually it’s worse. Rusting people mover track. The weird gold satellites that do nothing up where the rocket rods used to be, start Tours, hyperspace mountain, and a the force awakens movie.... cop with Star Wars meet and greets, buzz lightyear, monorail, autopia, and Nemo submarines. Oh yeah and a Mickey Mouse dance party for entertainment and toy story pizza planet for food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom