Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

brb1006

That’s much happier than what I envisioned for Dreamfinder. I envision him alone without his best friend, sitting next to his now docked and decaying flying machine. He watches silently from afar what his pavilion had become, and questions if the world really needs imagination anymore. Still, he looks into the stars every night, remembering the days he could soar among them with his companion, dreaming of the day his flying machine can travel the world once more, and he may finally be able to return home.

God I want Dreamfinder back.

This image based on Epic Mickey comes to mind.

faux_epic_mickey_type_piece_by_dyemooch-d500o7z.jpg

Maeryk

So...they aren't a Disney employee? Either someone with a "bad" friend or...well I'm not sure:

This is like if @marni1971 was the complete opposite and dumped everything he had out there instead of, you know, respecting internal policies and such.
This is a fun ride but I'm sure it'll come to an end sooner rather then later.

From reading the twitter thread, I'm also not sure these are 'current" photos.. there's no telling when they might have actually been taken, the ride has been shuttered since when?

TwilightZone

From reading the twitter thread, I'm also not sure these are 'current" photos.. there's no telling when they might have actually been taken, the ride has been shuttered since when?
I'd say they're current considering that reddit leak was posted 16 hours ago.
I'd say backdoordisney and mysterious reddit friend took these photos around the same timeframe, maybe they are even the same person.

Maeryk

I'd say they're current considering that reddit leak was posted 16 hours ago.
I'd say backdoordisney and mysterious reddit friend took these photos around the same timeframe, maybe they are even the same person.

They also said they have photos of the inside of GMR from a month or more ago.. so I dunno. I mean, it's not like it really matters.. it's still neat to see them. And I'm sure someone at The Mouse has smoke coming out of their ears right about now.

EricsBiscuit

Semi-unrelated, but I really hope the Skippy AA is saved. I never got to experience Alien Encounter as 10 year old me was too cowardly (as is 31 year old me, but that’s neither here or there), but I always liked the design of Skippy. I’d only ever do SGE just to see him, and suffer through the rest.

They should put him in a window waving at Peoplemover riders or in the exit of Space Mountain. He deserves to have a presence somewhere in WDW.
They were going to save skippy but something unspeakable happened during transportation

CoasterSnoop

A sentiment a few others echoed in this thread, but I’m feeling a wild mix of emotions right now.

Stitch was always a pretty bad show, especially by Disney’s standards. But with its long lifespan came some dumb kids who tolerated the pitch black darkness and spooky special effects and just loved that a show involving Stitch and him wreaking havoc was in the parks. And I was one of those dumb kids. In fact, I recall a time where the #1 thing I couldn’t wait to do at the Magic Kingdom when we got there was SGE.

The amount of time I spent in this building should honestly be illegal. That chili dog smell that permeated the entire building, to my nose, became less of a sore and more of a familiarity. Ironically, something that let me know that I was at Disney. (Yes, some of you have the orange smell in Soarin’, I had the freakin chili dog burp). The amount of time I spent looking in awe at these animatronics, how fluidly they moved and how much of a spectacle they put on despite the script issues, it’s honestly devastating to see those pictures now.

We knew this was coming for years now, but I honestly naïvely thought we’d get a bit of a warning, that we’d get that final show, a bit of closure. In that time I’ve actually had DREAMS about this show, going into the building only to find out that it’s in disrepair with chewing gum on the floors and visible wood on the walls, nothing working. And now with these photos I can at least give those images some sort of base. That’s how it looked at a point in time, and they’re all gone now.

So I suppose just the same, while seeing “good friends” like that in such destroyed states has made me a little sorrowful, I’m also thankful they were leaked, and that even though Stitch wasn’t too glorious on his last escape, we at least get some closure through this. And I know I sound pretty silly sounding this emotional for a bunch of nuts bolts and metal, and especially for such a pathetic attempt at a cash-grab, but I swear, I LOVED this thing.

Thanks for the memories, Stitch. Most people would rather forget you, and maybe I’d like to forget your show as it is, but I won’t forget the joy it brought me.

(So does this mean Disney has a replacement? Or are they gutting this thing just for the funnies?)

Last edited:

Maeryk

The replacement rumors have come and gone, and been repeated and denied. The one that had the most traction was something Wreck it Ralph and VR.. but that one keeps being denied. They are kinda stuck with something involving two bowl shaped theaters. Everything I have read and heard says that due to the way they were constructed, to take the theaters out mean leveling the entire building.. which also means the back of Cosmic Rays, the two gift shops, the ice cream shop, People Mover AND the special events area in the back.

Now, depending on how much love TL gets in the future? That might even happen. But for right now? I doubt (and will be thoroughly happy to be proven wrong) that it's going to be anything but standing empty for a while.

Unless they turn it into a lounge or something, like they have done with some stuff in Epcot.

TwilightZone

A sentiment a few others echoed in this thread, but I’m feeling a wild mix of emotions right now.

Stitch was always a pretty bad show, especially by Disney’s standards. But with its long lifespan came some dumb kids who tolerated the pitch black darkness and spooky special effects and just loved that a show involving Stitch and him wreaking havoc was in the parks. In fact, I recall a time where the #1 thing I couldn’t wait to do at the Magic Kingdom when we got there was SGE.

The amount of time I spent in this building should honestly be illegal. That chili dog smell that permeated the entire building, to my ears, became less of a sore and more of a familiarity. Ironically, something that let me know that I was at Disney. (Yes, some of you have the orange smell in Soarin’, I had the freakin chili dog burp). The amount of time I spent looking in awe at these animatronics, how fluidly they moved and how much of a spectacle they put on despite the script issues, it’s honestly devastating to see those pictures now.

We knew this was coming for years now, but I honestly naïvely thought we’d get a bit of a warning, that we’d get that final show, a bit of closure. In that time I’ve actually had DREAMS about this show, going into the building only to find out that it’s in disrepair with chewing gum on the floors and visible wood on the walls, nothing working. And now with these photos I can at least give those images some sort of base. That’s how it looked at a point in time, and they’re all gone now.

So I suppose just the same, while seeing “good friends” like that in such destroyed states has made me a little sorrowful, I’m also thankful they were leaked, and that even though Stitch wasn’t too glorious on his last escape, we at least get some closure through this. And I know I sound pretty silly sounding this emotional especially for such a pathetic attempt at a cash-grab, but I swear, I LOVED this thing.

Thanks for the memories, Stitch. Most people would rather forget you, and maybe I’d like to forget your show as it is, but I won’t forget the joy it brought me.

(So does this mean Disney has a replacement? Or are they gutting this thing just for the funnies?)
I have a similar story, if it wasn't for sge I wouldn't be as into animatronics or disney world as I am today. I was that interested in the animatronic and a recommended video about past attractions and a little video by a certain someone about the ride it replaced, alien encounter.
The certain someone is martin by the way. ;)

HonorableMention

Stitch was always a pretty bad show, especially by Disney’s standards. But with its long lifespan came some dumb kids who tolerated the pitch black darkness and spooky special effects and just loved that a show involving Stitch and him wreaking havoc was in the parks. And I was one of those dumb kids. In fact, I recall a time where the #1 thing I couldn’t wait to do at the Magic Kingdom when we got there was SGE.

The amount of time I spent in this building should honestly be illegal. That chili dog smell that permeated the entire building, to my nose, became less of a sore and more of a familiarity. Ironically, something that let me know that I was at Disney. (Yes, some of you have the orange smell in Soarin’, I had the freakin chili dog burp). The amount of time I spent looking in awe at these animatronics, how fluidly they moved and how much of a spectacle they put on despite the script issues, it’s honestly devastating to see those pictures now.

So I suppose just the same, while seeing “good friends” like that in such destroyed states has made me a little sorrowful, I’m also thankful they were leaked, and that even though Stitch wasn’t too glorious on his last escape, we at least get some closure through this. And I know I sound pretty silly sounding this emotional for a bunch of nuts bolts and metal, and especially for such a pathetic attempt at a cash-grab, but I swear, I LOVED this thing.

It sucks not having any real closure though. SGE was the first attraction I ever experienced at WDW, and at the time I loved Stitch and was really excited for it (which might reveal my age a bit) Although traumatized I still enjoyed it and dragged my family on it again later in the trip.

The building has either been closed or a M&G on my past two trips so it’s definitely disappointing that I won’t be able to see it one last time. Thanks for sharing your story

Maeryk

It sucks not having any real closure though. SGE was the first attraction I ever experienced at WDW, and at the time I loved Stitch and was really excited for it (which might reveal my age a bit) Although traumatized I still enjoyed it and dragged my family on it again later in the trip.

The building has either been closed or a M&G on my past two trips so it’s definitely disappointing that I won’t be able to see it one last time. Thanks for sharing your story

Disney stopped doing announced closures when people tried to chain themselves to Mr Toad.

Maeryk

I wouldn't say they stopped, they did announce great movie ride and tower of terror after all. I think they are just doing their announcements much closer to closing now, and for attractions with less fans, like stitch, through cast member.
Weren't they both down for refurb at the time? Or, like Snow a "at some point" that got extended a year and then just quietly closed one night?

Sharon&Susan

Weren't they both down for refurb at the time? Or, like Snow a "at some point" that got extended a year and then just quietly closed one night?
GMR was known for one month beforehand and TOT’s closure was know about 5 months before it closed.
Disneyland is somewhat better at telling people when something is closing about a month beforehand. With the only exceptions that I can think of being ITTBAB closed same day it was announced to close and Rocket Rods reopening being cancelled.

yensidtlaw1969

GMR was known for one month beforehand and TOT’s closure was know about 5 months before it closed.
Disneyland is somewhat better at telling people when something is closing about a month beforehand. With the only exceptions that I can think of being ITTBAB closed same day it was announced to close and Rocket Rods reopening being cancelled.
The most famous example of this type of closing is 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, which went "down for refurbishment" in 1994 and never returned - this was especially shocking because it was so patently unlike Disney's practices at the time to let something fossilize in the park like that, and because it was, if I recall correctly, the first time Disney ever closed an E-Ticket Attraction -- certainly the first classic one, at least. It wasn't until two years later that it was finally admitted by the company the attraction would not be reopening.

EDITED TO ADD: For those who may not be familiar, the ride was left largely to rot from 1994, with the disappearance of the submarine ride vehicles from the lagoon being the only real removal done until 2004 when construction walls finally went up to actually remove the ride. I realized after posting that it may be a mistake to assume everyone reading automatically familiar with this legendary portion of The Magic Kingdom's history. The closing of 20,000 Leagues was a total watershed moment. No pun intended.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom