Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Tony the Tigger

You're a Disney fan and you don't understand why theme is important?

That's what Disneyland was built on.
That's what set it apart from every other amusement park at the time it opened.
That's what made it so popular for 60 years.

The "avarage guest" may not be able to scrutinize everything that makes Disney special, but they sure know it when they see it. That's why they keep going. And the overall experience is slowly deteriorated every time a small insignificant detail is taken away. That's why Disney can charge a day ticket the same price as Six Flags charges their annual pass.

If theme didn't matter to guests, they would go somewhere else.

While I enjoy going to WDW very much and I'm not an imgaineer, theme does play for a part of my experience in terms of enhancing the experience. This dates back to what I experienced on my first trip to WDW in 1991. WDW was different the amusement parks I went to before than. The amusement parks I went to were fun and had rides, but didn't had any theming.

Theming is part of the Atmosphere at a WDW theme park and people just don't spend time at WDW only doing rides or attractions. For a myself, I like to enjoy the atmosphere the atmosphere of a theme park taking my time besides doing attractions.

The other thing is theming does matter to guests a little bit back when Pizza Planet was Streets of America instead Pixar Place or what happened in Disneyland that Walt Disney didn't like as examples.

Walt didn't like having cast members walking as meet and greets characters in areas they are not supposed to be at because it ruins the atmosphere in that land and in his park in general for guests to experience.

Theme is the heart of the entire experience. But if theme doesn't matter to some, then what do they lose by having it there? Those who are interested in themed entertainment lose something when theme is ignored. Those just interested in rides or "Disney" or escapism or memories or whatever else lose absolutely nothing if theme is maintained.

Because total immersion is what used to set WDW apart from Six Flags. As they say.

I don't know if there are any more responses after this page, but if there are, I presume they will be addressed here.

First of all, nowhere did I state theming doesn't matter, or doesn't matter "at all."

My response was to one particular person who particularly stated - if I understood correctly - they had not so much a problem with the Stitch ride itself, but with where it was located. I was not (and am still not) quarreling with the person; I just stated my own differing opinion.

To be realistic: logistically, not everything is going to fit everywhere 100% perfectly; and that doesn't mean there is "no theming."

To be concerned as to whether an attraction featuring a creature from space is or is not futuristic enough for a place themed as "Tomorrowland" is what I stated was something I, personally, could not understand. It's not in Frontierland, it's in Tomorrowland.

And in the context being used, it is not correct to suggest the only thing separating WDW from Six Flags is "theming." Six Flags = rides and almost nothing but rides, with few exceptions (at least the last time I went.)

Unlike Six Flags, Disney has more than just rides, i.e. coasters & carnival rides. They have shows. They have parades. They have dining beyond a hamburger stand. That is what separates WDW from Six Flags. To call that "theming" would be an inaccurate oversimplification. While it certainly contributes to and holds up the theming, a show is an attraction unto itself, not just theming. The theming enhances everything else.

As someone with an artistic eye (sketching/painting) and also many years of merchandising under my belt, I know the creative can at times clash with the practical, and there is often one "leftover" item or factor that might make a design element less than perfect but is still useful and/or necessary; and the average patron of the exhibit would not be aware of the minor transgression. WDW is not built for the imagineers per se, but for everyday guests.

And again, from a personal perspective, while I very much appreciate the immersive theming throughout WDW, unless something is glaringly offensive, I would never be bothered by it - to wit, Stitch being in Tomorrowland. That's fine with me. I've never walked through Tomorrowland and thought, "What the heck is an alien doing here? So out of place!") That doesn't mean I don't understand theming or don't care about theming. That means it's close enough, and I get it. Not my favorite attraction (nor was the previous incarnation) and I won't miss it or visit it before it's gone, but that's neither here nor there.

The way I have always seen WDW, and I guess I never brought it to this point before even in my own head, but I'm realizing it as I type this - was that I don't take the "lands" in MK all that seriously as "boundaries." I saw it as a way to loosely group similar rides to help a person find them on the map or otherwise navigate the park, while providing a bit of cohesiveness. I don't understand guests taking it much more seriously than that. But to each his own.

I cannot bring myself to summon the energy to be upset about Stitch's Great Escape being located in Tomorrowland vs. somewhere else. It does not ruin the atmosphere or the theming unless you want it to. In the context of reusing the previous Alien Encounter infrastructure (yet another alien in Tomorrowland) their options were limited unless they had the budget to spend more.

Not every move they make is going to be able to be made perfect. That's OK. I'd rather they focus on the one drumming soldier in It's A Small World who isn't drumming (they did) or Pirates making peoples' feet wet, etc. rather than absolutism in theming.

JMHO.

Tony the Tigger

You say you know what I mean, yet you put your own take on it entirely. That's poor form.

For one, I have not cited Walt once in just about any of my posts concerning theming and what have you; Walt, after all, has not been with us for fifty years, and a lot changes in a half century.

However, speaking as somebody who even as a young child was never a big Fantasyland fan, I think it's a sign of being willfully obtuse to say "Walt used fairy tales" as some sort of parallel to "Iger and the boys use direct IP overlays". Yes, Fantasyland always had rides directly lifted from Disney studio films, it's not like there isn't a place for those, and yes Frontierland did a lot of theming using small details that brought to mind Davy Crockett or the works of Mark Twain, plenty of space for that, too, but it speaks volumes when corporate under Iger has not green lit a single non-IP driven attraction in the main US theme parks.

Pirates lifted from films with pirates in them, but became it's own thing; same with Haunted Mansion lifting from ghost stories. Let's not act like there's some 1:1 comparison to be made, here.

(Walt didn't write the fairy tales.)

Tony the Tigger

From what im picking up itll be a ride system like this

chairs_0.jpg

COP 2.0!

RoysCabin

Huh, before I read this thread I had never even considered the possibility of shuttering the Speedway and putting something new there; interesting thought! Kind of wish they'd consider it, it'd be weird to lose an original but it lost a lot of its purpose and luster when the views the ride used to contain were blocked out (e.g. Space Mountain blocking the view of the Contemporary and Lagoon, etc.), plus the track length has been cut down multiple times.

That's some fun daydreaming to chew on.

MrHappy

WIR seems to be building steam here based on the brilliant clues left by the best insiders in the world. Now, allow me to be a bit blind to those puzzling posts, maybe the replacement is Miles From Tomorrowland. I know DizJr is a HS thing (barely), but there's some merchandise rep at TL, makes perfect thematic sense, can attract a new audience in the land. Maybe the "has legs" and other easter eggs Marni and others are dropping CAN be about Miles.

Figments Friend

Stitch is a substantially worse attraction. Why would you keep that over Laugh Floor?

My comment was in regards to how Disney might look at the two Attractions from a budget / payroll point of view.
The assumption was the one that costs more to operate payroll wise might be the likely candidate that gets closed and replaced with the new Attraction.

'Laugh Floor' takes more staff to operate then 'Stitch's Great Escape' i beleive.
It requires multiple visable Cast , and several Entertainment Cast Members 'behind the curtains' making the magic happen in the show room.
'Stitch's Great Escape' has visable Cast only that I am aware of.

'Laugh Floor' also seems to have the larger show building and more open space to play with or segment into separate / multiple spaces if need be.
'Stitch's Great Escape' seems smaller but that may fit better for the existing plans.

Of the two, I personally prefer 'Stitch's..' to the 'Laugh Floor'.
Several reasons, the first being that it fits in with the established 'space' and quasi-futurism theme of Tomorrowland much better then a comedy show put on by cartoon monsters.
The other is more my personal interests....

'Stitch's' features some excellent high end AAs and I much prefer watching figures in action then looking at giant screens of CGI animation.
Attractions that are primarily screen based turn me off, and I will confess I may be bias as i am a serious AA enthusiast.
So 'Laugh Floor' never appealed to me and does not really 'belong' in Tomorrowland thematically in my opinion.
Despite the hate many have for 'Stitch's..', for me I feel it fits in a little better theme wise with the land and the Animatronics are entertaining to watch.

The Stitch Attraction was better when it first opened, when everything was fully functioning and it had not yet been overly 'kidified' in a post-opening tweaking.

Of course 'Alien Encounter' wipes the floor with it as a whole....but I digress....

;)

-

NearTheEars

WIR seems to be building steam here based on the brilliant clues left by the best insiders in the world. Now, allow me to be a bit blind to those puzzling posts, maybe the replacement is Miles From Tomorrowland. I know DizJr is a HS thing (barely), but there's some merchandise rep at TL, makes perfect thematic sense, can attract a new audience in the land. Maybe the "has legs" and other easter eggs Marni and others are dropping CAN be about Miles.

I'd say no on Miles as Disney Channel shows have a short shelf life by design. More like to see a film IP.

MrHappy

I'd say no on Miles as Disney Channel shows have a short shelf life by design. More like to see a film IP.

Certainly may not be Miles but if they wanted to extend shelf life of the IP, there's ways. I understand it's a unique concept, but I think it can work. Especially these days, with apps and streaming and Web content, etc. Could have potential if they (disney) wanted. I'm probably just being stuburn because I don't want WIR, like Stich the IP, and know my son would be pumped about Miles. Welp, 'time will tell.'

NearTheEars

Certainly may not be Miles but if they wanted to extend shelf life of the IP, there's ways. I understand it's a unique concept, but I think it can work. Especially these days, with apps and streaming and Web content, etc. Could have potential if they (disney) wanted. I'm probably just being stuburn because I don't want WIR, like Stich the IP, and know my son would be pumped about Miles. Welp, 'time will tell.'

I understand. And it's surprising he doesn't have a place in Tomorrowland as it is. No meet and greet right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom